Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoslow
Apr 23, 2006

Yo slow
I'm going to be a sophomore in the fall. I'm majoring in Poli Sci and I'm in Army ROTC. I've been looking into being a psychological operations officer in the army. I really like Foreign Affairs and becoming a psychological operations officer provides a wide variety of jobs both in the army and after I'm out. After doing that or while doing it if I chose to be reserves, I was thinking about working for the Department of State in the foreign service or for the CIA in the analyst field. I'm at the point where I should start considering what to do after I complete my undergraduate because I need to start taking law classes.

Currently I'm torn between going to law school or going to graduate school for something related to foreign affairs. My family is pushing for law school saying that I could always fall back on practicing law later in life and having a law degree will make me more competitive when I try to work for the State, Defense, or CIA. Also going to law school will allow me to decide if I really want to be a lawyer or work for the gov in foreign affairs.

But I'm worried that getting a law degree just to get one is a complete waste of time even if the army will help pay for it. Can anyone give me advice? Will getting a law degree really help me be more competitive in the job market? Would going to grad school do the exact same thing and might even be better because I will have a degree in my job field?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoslow
Apr 23, 2006

Yo slow

Happydayz posted:

I'm not tracking why you need to pick a grad school now. If you are doing ROTC that will funnel you straight into the Army upon graduation.

If I get into grad school the army will help pay for it and the time I have to give back doesn't start until I finish.

Edit: Is it possible to work for the Foreign Service, NSA, or CIA while I'm in the Army Reserves?

yoslow fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 2, 2009