Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Some months ago I was looking for a feline hydration solution that would be easy to take care of. I was rather traumatized by a former housemate who did not take care of their cat fountain so it was gross and slimy all the time, so for my first cat I really wanted to look for something that wouldn't be prone to that.

At the time I bought and recommended in this thread the AquaPurr, which is a motion activated attachment to a sink. It's great, cat loved it and I could hear him using it all the time. No consumables needing replacement, either.

However, I moved to a place with just one bathroom bathroom with a a small sink so I couldn't use it anymore. We gave him water in dishes, but he was not drinking very much at all, so I decided to get him a fountain, even though I found them gross.

I did a lot of research and found a model that works without a pump, the PetSafe Outlast. It works with a motor rotating in a dry chamber whose centrifugal force results in the water flowing upward. The rest of the thing you can put in the dishwasher. We have had it for two weeks and the cat and I are pretty happy with it. I can't imagine anything easier to keep clean. You do need to buy filters but I think you could cut generic filters to shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Took the girls for their annual checkup. The vet gave licky girl a thorough exam, watched our videos of her attempting to eat wet food, and concluded there’s nothing wrong with her and we’re overthinking it. She’s a healthy weight and not dehydrated. Cat gonna cat, I guess.

The only vet suggestion that we haven’t already tried is to straight up immersion blend the food into a paste like a tube treat. We’ll give it a shot sometime soon lol.

jimmychoo posted:

good god why is it so hard to figure out what food to feed my kitten? i’m trying to transition him to adult food now that he’s older than 1 year but the online discourse of whether to go the heavily standardized brands like Royal Canin vs grain-free brands is so confusing to me. feels like there is absolutely no consensus at all. is the pet nutrition thread still active at all? what do y’all feed your kitties?

I got very helpful advice when I posted there a year ago, worth cross-posting if you think you need to, but the thread basically told me to chill out like the responses you got here. :shrug: We’ve tried raw food, big brands like Hill’s, brands like Tiki Cat and Open Farm and Orijen… our cats have had beautiful glossy coats on all of them. As long as it’s labelled nutritionally complete it’s fine. Try wet food if you can and if they’ll eat it, because lots of cats won’t drink enough water. I don’t think there’s any consensus past that.

I’m so sorry, but I’m glad that you pushed for a second opinion to get the information you needed to make the right call.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Last week I got it into my head that I was ready to start exploring adoption, and had some interviews with a couple different bonded pairs. Got all the way to providing my lease + proof I can handle them and being asked which pair I wanted to take home.

Ended up having a breakdown after the second interview, right when it was time to commit to a pair. My brother and sister and I had some whole-rear end phone convos where I dumped my feelings and emotions on them and in the end I canceled the whole thing. If I’m not 100% ready for and comfortable with adoption, I can’t do it.

Something about the reality of adopting again just stressed the absolute gently caress out of me. My guess is that my anxiety and stress brainworms thought that a new and relatively sudden high-commitment decision deserved a whole-rear end panic attack, even though I’m already equipped for cat ownership. My brother and sister say that I’m still in the mourning process and that my life is not in a position to adopt again because of all the poo poo that’s up in the air this year. All of us are right, probably. Regardless, all I know is that when I went to interview the cats, I didn’t feel the right-ness I felt with Jet and the fosters probably thought I was hesitating. I don’t know why that is.

In the end, it’s just not time to adopt yet. Truth is that I’ve got a lot of poo poo to work on that I’ve neglected for years - work, social life, physical and mental health, etc. Plus I’m not sure if I’ll be living in the same place next year, or if I’m gonna buy or move to another state (or even another country). There’s just way too much going on.

Jet might have to wait for a while before I make some more friends for him to meet in a decade or two :smith:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i have applied to meet/adopt a male tabby that is practically identical to tandy, except for a tiny patch of white hair on his chest. personality wise he was described as "mischievous" and so if the adoption goes through i will have two identical Ken boys who can open the door when i shower and sneak into the fridge

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Update on my cat (Ansel) that was hiding like 75-80% of the time: He is now spending most of his time in the room with me either on his bed or on the top of my lizard's terrarium by the windows and heat lamps. Whenever I get in bed it's 2 or 3 minutes tops until he gets in bed and starts pacing around to figure out what part of my body he wants to cuddle up against. Sunday morning I laid in bed a while after waking up and he cuddled up against my chest with his head resting on my chin. He also handled being over at a friend's house well when I had to leave town for a couple days for work. I was worried about it, but he spent about 75% of his time under the friend's kotatsu. It's crazy to realize that it has only been three weeks since I picked him up, it feels like longer.

My friend that he was staying with says he seems like a Maine coon but I think at most he's a mix, he's got the big bushy tail and the big paws but he's only 10lbs and doesn't have the big chest floof or tufted ears. The shelter just described him as a domestic longhair but he was picked up by animal control, probably abandoned based on him having already been neutered.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Update on my cat (Ansel) that was hiding like 75-80% of the time: He is now spending most of his time in the room with me either on his bed or on the top of my lizard's terrarium by the windows and heat lamps. Whenever I get in bed it's 2 or 3 minutes tops until he gets in bed and starts pacing around to figure out what part of my body he wants to cuddle up against. Sunday morning I laid in bed a while after waking up and he cuddled up against my chest with his head resting on my chin. He also handled being over at a friend's house well when I had to leave town for a couple days for work. I was worried about it, but he spent about 75% of his time under the friend's kotatsu. It's crazy to realize that it has only been three weeks since I picked him up, it feels like longer.

My friend that he was staying with says he seems like a Maine coon but I think at most he's a mix, he's got the big bushy tail and the big paws but he's only 10lbs and doesn't have the big chest floof or tufted ears. The shelter just described him as a domestic longhair but he was picked up by animal control, probably abandoned based on him having already been neutered.

Cat breeds are kinda bogus (I mean they’re real but unlike dogs 95% of cats are just Felis catus) but Ansel looks like a perfectly wonderful baby. :kimchi: Also sounds pretty adaptive if he handled going over to your friend’s place pretty well. One of my cats kinda closes off when I move him around.

Pollyanna posted:

Jet might have to wait for a while before I make some more friends for him to meet in a decade or two :smith:
First of all, I really applaud you for identifying your feelings and trying to prioritize the cats’ needs. I totally get what you’re saying about it feeling right vs it feeling wrong. I don’t really know how to quantify it and I think maybe I was a pest to shelters but it was really important to me for things to feel right before adopting.

I hope this year settles for you and you can find a perfect fit. 💕

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I adopted a stray about two weeks ago, and overall it's going great, except that she's the hungriest cat I've ever met. I feed her dinner and within fifteen minutes she'll be back to begging for more. She's a very small cat, about a year old, just a hair over 6 lb and the vet said her condition score is just about ideal. No sign of worms, though she's gotten medication for it just in case, and she's going to the bathroom regularly. I've been giving her about 7 oz of wet food per day, which comes out to about 140 calories. I've got a follow-up appointment with the vet early next week and plan to ask again there, but figure I'd ask here: is there any reason I should be feeding her more? Or is this just her needing to realize that she's not burning as many calories and that she'll be fed on a regular schedule?

- Sex: F
- How long have you had your cat? 2 weeks
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes
- What food do you use? Best Feline Friend wet food
- When was your last vet visit? 1 week ago, for ear infection
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors
- How many pets in your household? Just her!
- How many litter boxes do you have? 2

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Strays tend to be pretty food insecure, yeah. There are medical conditions that increase metabolism/hunger but the simpler answer is just that she's used to never knowing when her next meal is coming. You could try free feeding but some cats will waaaaay overeat with that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yeah, give her some time. She's spent a lot of her life hungry and worried about food. Now it's free and readily available and she can't quite believe her luck.

She'll get used to the situation and settle down after a while.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Karia posted:

I adopted a stray about two weeks ago, and overall it's going great, except that she's the hungriest cat I've ever met. I feed her dinner and within fifteen minutes she'll be back to begging for more. She's a very small cat, about a year old, just a hair over 6 lb and the vet said her condition score is just about ideal. No sign of worms, though she's gotten medication for it just in case, and she's going to the bathroom regularly. I've been giving her about 7 oz of wet food per day, which comes out to about 140 calories. I've got a follow-up appointment with the vet early next week and plan to ask again there, but figure I'd ask here: is there any reason I should be feeding her more? Or is this just her needing to realize that she's not burning as many calories and that she'll be fed on a regular schedule?

Strays are like that. Our first cat is a stray we found in our backyard (thanks, backyard cams!), and a year and a half later she still gets anxious when it comes time for everybody to eat so we feed her first.

Your new girl is probably just scared that this is a temporary thing and she'll be out on the street again, so she's trying to get in as much as she can before it's gone. Once she gets comfortable with the reality that she has a forever home now, she'll eventually settle into a routine.

Just keep feeding her the amount you're supposed to be feeding her.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i would only get worried if it went on for years and she was also significantly overweight and still under the impression she was starving. otherwise strays are like that. me and my neighbors used to feed a very small feral who ended up eating two or three times her recommended allowance because neither of us knew the other was feeding her.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Karia posted:

Nothing to add just wanted to say this is amazing, thank you for taking her in and please post her in the yospos cat thread.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of cats eating, do cats lose their appetite a bit as they get older? My almost 11 year old has slowed down how much he's eaten, but last visit to the vet he's actually gained weight.

He also has IBS and is being treated for it through budesionide daily and chlorambucil every other week (which really messes with his appetite), but he's gone from waiting by his food an hour before the timer goes off to not even getting up to eat it when it goes off. I do have mirtazapine on hand if he doesn't eat for extended periods of time, but considering he's still eating some and not losing weight I'm not freaking out about it but a bit concerned. Vet seems to think he's fine aside from increased blood sugar as a result of his meds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not in my experience no, and senior cat food tends to have fewer calories because their metabolism is slowing so they tend to need fewer calories to maintain a healthy weight.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Thanks, all! That's what I figured, but this is my first cat where I'm the primary caretaker (and first cat adopted straight from the street rather than through a shelter!) so I'm a bit antsy and want to make sure she's taken care of properly.

VelociBacon posted:

Nothing to add just wanted to say this is amazing, thank you for taking her in and please post her in the yospos cat thread.

Will do!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I ended up getting the Wi-Fi auto feeder mentioned up thread. It worked so far for Pav's first feeding, but it really confuses Sage since usually they get their food at the exact same time

For whatever reason though it refuses to do the firmware update, the connection seems a little unstable but good enough to send notifications and do scheduling, etc :shrug:

I'm using a combined band router though and it's technically only 2.4 ghz so that might be causing it. Honestly as long as it's stable and does the feeding I'm ok with it I suppose! I might fiddle around with it a little more

Edit: got the petlibro air wifi

Edit rather than reply to myself: so I was actually able to get it to update just fine by pairing it to my phone's hotspot and leaving my phone right beside it. I'm guessing it's due to the way my router does the band mixing or something? Either way so far so good

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 12, 2024

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i am off to go meet a potential friend for tandy. wish me luck!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

update: she is so so loving cute oh my god oh my god

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Pictures or it didn't happen.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

https://www.adoptapet.com/pet/41215861-toronto-ontario-cat

here’s her profile! sadly i was so overwhelmed with love that i forgot to take a picture of her hilarious corndog tail

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Talorat posted:

A friend of mine's cat has FIP and isn't looking too good. The Vet says there is some sort of blackmarket cure for it? Is this a real thing or a scam? Does anyone have any experience with it?

Here is a picture of Bento for context, he's a very sweet and very stupid little boy.

Circling back on this for closure and in case anyone else is curious. My friend worked with folks on the FIP Facebook groups to get the GS-441524 drug. Literally had to meet a guy in a parking lot like a common drug deal. My friend is very straight edge so it was hilariously out of pocket for him. The treatment course was 84 shots. The important part, it worked flawlessly.
Every shot was harder than the last because Bento was getting stronger every day as a result of the treatment. Apparently the people who run these Facebook groups know a lot about the treatment and he would actually have his vets forward the blood test results to them for dosage recommendations.

Anyways, should any of you guys end up in a similar situation, don’t be scared off by the sketchiness of the process, it really does work and it can save your cat’s life.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Holy poo poo, I’m glad it worked so well for him! Thank you for sharing

cash crab posted:

https://www.adoptapet.com/pet/41215861-toronto-ontario-cat

here’s her profile! sadly i was so overwhelmed with love that i forgot to take a picture of her hilarious corndog tail
She’s perfect :kimchi:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Black cats best cats

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Black cats best cats

They sure are. :3:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i think there’s a good chance the adoption is going to happen and when/if it does i am SO excited to show you her tail. no one knows what happened to it or where it went, but it’s about five inches long. it causes her no discomfort but she does look funny.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I GOT HER

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yooo pics and pics in the yospos thread please

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

Yooo pics and pics in the yospos thread please

when she’s home and settled you bet your bip

e:

her adoption posting is down already but here is the half-tail wonder herself.

cash crab fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 13, 2024

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I had a half-tail cat as a kid (congenital, he had a little bone knob on the end) and I can confirm that they are extremely good

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:hellyeah: congrats! She's adorable

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about a (dearly departed) void cat makin' biscuits.

https://i.imgur.com/tYQVPrK.mp4

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

xzzy posted:

How about a (dearly departed) void cat makin' biscuits.

https://i.imgur.com/tYQVPrK.mp4

:3: biscuit factory

E: when i first went to see the new girl she was makin’ biscuits too

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

it is impossible to get a unblurry photo of the new girl because she is vibrating like an atom at all times

tandy dashed into the room before i could close the door and she gave him a half-hearted hiss. he wants to be her friend so bad and he doesn't understand why i won't let him bother her

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

oh my god the little corn dog tail

Did she just have surgery on it? Poor little bub. Glad she's psyched to be home.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

oh my god the little corn dog tail

Did she just have surgery on it? Poor little bub. Glad she's psyched to be home.

i think so but it looks well healed. i also realize she’s had at least one litter of kittens which may explain her initial distaste for tandy. i have ordered feliway because i luv 2 cheat

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I finally got a brush for Ansel and brushed his back and sides, but I realized I'm not sure how to do his legs or belly without A: hurting him or B: getting flayed by his claws. Do those need to be brushed as well, or just the back and sides? It seems like the area around the legs has a lot of spots where the direction of the hair growth shifts so it can end up brushing against the grain which can't be comfortable.

Also: he does seem to have claws but they're very small, is that a thing with some cats or is it just likely that the shelter clipped them so well 4 weeks ago that they're only now starting to grow out noticeably?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

shelter usually clips them, especially if they got fixed there. it can be a little challenging convincing them later on but there’s methods to getting them used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cats can have dainty claws too. We had one cat that was 15 years old and her claws still looked like they could have been on a kitten.

Senior cats tend to have thicker claws because they get less diligent using scratching posts so the outer layers never really flake off. It's why when you do a trimming sometimes you'll get "splinters" peeling off the outer shell.