Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Znorps! posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I wasn't sure what food would be best and figured that would work. If I see the Blue Buffalo stuff I'll grab that instead. I'm not locked into the flushing thing, just saw another poster mention it favorably. I'll try to find the Tidy Cats as allergies are an issue here.

As for the whole taking care of them thing goes. I was planning on starting them out in the kitchen until they get used to the house. Eventually we were going to move the litter box into the basement as it's finished and where the fish maintenance happens. Does this seem like a good idea? The kitchen is roomy but not too big and generally free of wires and hanging things they can grab onto.

Sorry if these make no sense. I just want to make sure all goes smoothly. Got that "standing on the high dive about to jump" feeling and all.

Seconding that the food you picked looks awful (no offense). Are you sure there aren't any other nearby pet stores? I can't imagine that a town large enough to support a PetSmart wouldn't have at least one independent store. PetSmart just kinda sucks as far as food goes so it'd be worth it to look around.

I use Swheat Scoop. It's not perfect but it's worth a try. Not sure if it would stir up allergies unless you were specifically allergic to wheat or something but it clumps well and the fact that it's flushable is pretty cool. You do have to let it sit for 20 minutes in the bowl before you flush though. I mostly like it because clay litter is lovely for the environment but I'm a gay treehugging hippie I guess.

You should probably have a litter box on each floor if you live in a house unless the house is particularly small, so maybe leave the kitchen one and put another one in the basement?

Lester Shy posted:

Turns out he was under my bathroom sink in an area which I would have sworn was covered with wood paneling when I moved in. Took him a while to come out but now he's chillin' right next to me. Aside from the incident this morning, he seems to be adjusting pretty well to his new house, especially considering he came from a house with four cats. One strange thing I've noticed is that he doesn't really have any interest in playing with any sort of toys. I can't seem to dig up my old laser pointer, but an assorted number of boxes, paper bags, things on strings and other odds and ends have all failed to grab his attention, which seems pretty weird since he's just over a year old and came from a pretty active household. But hey, maybe he's just super chill.

Edit: Sorry I am full of questions today. When I first got Vikram from my friend, he said that he's been raised as a semi-outdoor cat, meaning that he would spend most of the day outside and then be let in at night. This might be part of the reason why normal indoor toys are boring to him. I want him to be happy, but I'm very hesitant about letting him outside. This is a much worse neighborhood than where he's originally from, with lots of stray dogs/cats and way more traffic. Should I just let him be bored with the indoors for the sake of his safety, or has he become sort of "wise" to the outdoor experience from being raised that way?

You JUST got him, right? If he's only been home for a short while, he might still be pretty uncomfortable and therefore not be as interested in playing. Give him some time and he'll probably have the whole house torn up soon.

If you want to safely take him outside, there was just a thread about harnesses.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Znorps! posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I wasn't sure what food would be best and figured that would work. If I see the Blue Buffalo stuff I'll grab that instead. I'm not locked into the flushing thing, just saw another poster mention it favorably. I'll try to find the Tidy Cats as allergies are an issue here.

As for the whole taking care of them thing goes. I was planning on starting them out in the kitchen until they get used to the house. Eventually we were going to move the litter box into the basement as it's finished and where the fish maintenance happens. Does this seem like a good idea? The kitchen is roomy but not too big and generally free of wires and hanging things they can grab onto.

Sorry if these make no sense. I just want to make sure all goes smoothly. Got that "standing on the high dive about to jump" feeling and all.

Cats really like vertical space, so if you're cool with them getting up on top of the fridge, cabinets, and so on and so forth, starting them in the kitchen isn't a bad idea. Cat proofing the house isn't as hard as you might think; they're gonna find stuff to get into no matter what you do, so take precautions on the usual stuff like wires, but be ready to train them to not get onto or into the poo poo you care about.

I agree with Honda Civet though, a litter box on each level is preferable. Plus some cats really need more than one box to feel happy (even if they don't keep to their own boxes :iiam:).

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Cats can be weird about litter boxes. For years my aunts cats seemed to keep to the system of a box for poop and a box for pee. But now one of them no longer cares about the system.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So the kittens are home safely last night and adjusting well. We ended up getting the Blue Buffalo food and will be transfering them over slowly as the vet gave us a good amount of food. I picked up some of the Tidy Cat Premium Blend and they took to it immediatly.

Aside from that, the product reccommendation thread is great as anything I picked up from it has worked fine. Only thing I'm not looking forward to is having to give them a bath after work as one of them made a mess on the way home from the vet's last night and despite wiping them down, still is a bit stinky.

Also, the whole Sssscat training cans do work well. We kept having Gary try to get behind the fridge. I put one of them about half way back and it got him out of there quick. Thank you everyone for helping getting the ball rolling. I'm sure I'll be posting with panic-y questions an all so thanks for your patiences in advance.

Ssscat in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs1ktJGDn1A

Picture of Leela (black) and Gary (striped)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inside Out Mom fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 11, 2009

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

evelynevvie posted:

Try picking him up and putting him in the litter box. He doesn't have to be peeing/pooping. Then, grab his front paws (one in each hand) and dig into the litter with them. This is how I potty train all of my kitties. His digging instincts should take over from there, and hopefully digging in the litter will show him where exactly to dig. Other than that, maybe try a different litter? He may just not like the kind you have.

Bleh, I tried this and he just gets upset that I'm grabbing him. I tried "showing" him how by covering the litter for him with a scoop but he just gets mad about being bothered in the litter box. How long does it take for them to learn?

I have another problem with him . . . he's also stepping in his poo poo and tracking it everywhere. We keep having to grab him and wash his feet down. It's usually the bottoms of his back feet but sometimes he gets it on his front paws too. I don't know how a cat can be so retarded with the litter box when his brother does just fine. What would help? Different litter? Is it a medical problem? Will he grow out of it?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I fostered an adult cat who never buried. He just didn't. I just scooped a ton more. I don't know how to keep your guy from walking in it though :(

electr0naut
Jan 3, 2007

whiskey and speed
My little guy didn't bury his business when I brought him home, but I switched his litter and he immediately started doing it without me showing him anything. I just figured he'd be a kitty that didn't bury poop and didn't think much of it.

If it matters, I went from Pine Pellets to World's Best Cat Litter. I only switched because the lady who was fostering him told me I had to go buy it from Home Depot because other stores didn't sell Pine Pellets as litter. I realized she was wrong after switching and asking an employee at the pet supply store I use. I already changed it though so whatever.

electr0naut fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 12, 2009

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

HondaCivet posted:

litter troubles

I dunno. The main thing is to grab his paws and dig in the litter with them. His instincts should take over from there. I've never had it not work. How often are you cleaning his box? My sister and her boyfriend are having a problem with their new kitten, sometimes he wont use the litter box. I rather suspect that it's because they aren't scooping it enough.

Try a more litter? Other than that maybe get a bag of Cat Attract litter. I've never tried it personally but other PI goons are always raving about it. I'm honestly stumped, I've never had a cat that didn't learn from the paw digging trick.I think ChairmainMeow may be correct.

I think if I were you I would talk to your vet about his behaviors.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

Will he grow out of it?

I think this is what happened with my little kitten. Do you have older cats? Our two insisted on using the same litter box for whatever reason, and little Tig learned to emulate the older cat, Suzume.

Only one picture, of the cute little maine coon. Hes about twice as large now, I don't have a camera available.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 12, 2009

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Well I think I know what part of the shitstepping problem is . . . diarrhea! (Yes, I made a vet appointment for Monday). However, they don't seem to have diarrhea all the time. I see them have both normal poops and runny ones. This causes me to conclude that it's probably dietary rather than parasites or something (please correct me here if worms or illness can cause only occasional squirts). I've tried to figure out some sort of rhythm to it. I haven't come up with much of one but I've only seen big problems in the evening . . . of course he might be cleaning himself up well enough when we're gone so that we don't see it though. We free-feed them dry food (mostly because they are still kittens) and then give them wet food 2 or 3 times a day. One thing that might be the problem is that we switch their wet food every couple of days when the 13 oz. can runs out. I'm doing this to keep them from being picky rear end in a top hat adult cats but I've also heard that it can cause tummy problems. I didn't really think much of it since the foster parent did the same thing and I don't remember any problems like that. Could this be the problem? We only switch between the same handful of kinds but there's still a major switch every couple of days. The other thing we do is refrigerate the food after we open it and then microwave it when it's feeding time. The food's only in the fridge for a day or two before they eat it but could it be getting gross during that time? Maybe nuking it is screwing it up? We just try to get it not-cold rather than warm so it's not in there too long but still . . . Sorry, long post, just feeling worried. Anyone have any feedback?

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

:words:

Are you feeding him different flavors of wet food or different brands or what?

This is probably largely the problem. Cats, and kittens in particular have pretty sensitive tummies. Give him some canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just canned pumpkin) in with his food. It should help make his poops less runny. I kinda thought before he might have the kitty runs. If you haven't already, I'd suggest stopping over in the pet nutrition thread and discussing your food choices there. They can probably better advise you about the wide variety of food you are giving him.

I would personally give them one dry food, and just stock up on a couple flavors of wet food, and not change it up so much. Pick a couple flavors that you know they like and just buy it in bulk.

At least he isn't doing what my sister's kitten was doing...having his runny poops in a chair instead of the litterbox (which was badly in need of scooping)!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
My cats seem to do ok as long as we stick to one brand and just a few flavors from that brand-- in our case, it's Merrick Ocean Breeze and Merrick New England Boil. They're both seafood based and both made by Merrick, so they have the same quality ingredients. When I was still test driving different brands, they definitely had bowel issues. Can you stick to similar-ish flavors of one brand and see if that makes a difference?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
So I'm the happy owner of two adorable tuxedo kittens, and I'm having my first-time pet owner blues. Mainly the smell. Oh god the smell! I was worried about them at first because they didn't eat all day. If it went much longer I was gonna take them to a vet to see what was up. But now they're eating and drinking like champs, and as a result leaving shits bigger than they are. What can I possibly do to mitigate this horrible smell? I can't be expected to be on 24-hour scoop duty, can I?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
What kind of food are they eating? Crappier food often causes really stinky poo poo. But, to be completely honest, kitten poo poo is sometimes paint-peeling even if they are eating good food. It's just another thing to add to the "If you weren't so cute..." list.

Honestly, when my cats were kittens, I did scoop multiple times a day, basically every time they pooped. But if you can't do that, you might want to try a couple of other things. First, you might want a different litter. We like Tidy Cats Premium Power Blend here; my husband is on litter scooping duty and hates smelling anything, and he says this one works best. Second, if your box is anywhere near a window, open the window a bit. You might get a little more air movement that way and clear a bit of the scent out of the air.

Expendable Henchman
Apr 7, 2009
My cat just pissed all over my pillow and I want to really send a message that this isn't okay. She's been getting rough and I really want it to stop.

How can I tell my cat that pissing on my pillow isn't cool?

Victor Nightingale
May 11, 2005

Here's a video of my new kitty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSnndbDb4D8

He's 5 months old, and the only annoying thing about him (besides his constant eat -> poo poo activity) is that he always tries to bite my hand/fingers when I'm petting him. He'll usually let me pet or scratch for a few seconds then tries to swat me away and then bite.

Now, realistically it's still day two so I don't expect him to instantly stop doing this, but what can I do to at least make it less frequent?

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Expendable Henchman posted:

My cat just pissed all over my pillow and I want to really send a message that this isn't okay. She's been getting rough and I really want it to stop.

Check to make sure it's not a medical problem first. If you've determined that it's not, you can try something like cat attract, or different kinds of litter/litterboxes, cleaning it more often, etc.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Expendable Henchman posted:

Like nonanone said, rule out medical problems first. If this is behavioral, though, you need to try to figure out what's causing the behavior. Is your cat lonely? Does she need more attention? Does she need more stimulation? Does she always go in her litter box other times? If you can figure out the root cause, you can work to correct it.

In the meantime, wash your pillow itself really well with bleach, or at the very least, white vinegar in the wash water, and set it in the sun to dry. You might want to douse it with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle. From what I remember (it's been a long time since I've needed to use it), these work best if they have a few days to sink in, in an airtight situation, so you might want to keep the pillow in an airtight container for a few days, re-dousing regularly, to let the enzymes do their thing. Use a new pillowcase. You want to make sure you've completely eradicated the scent, or she'll just smell it and think it's an okay place to go. Alternatively, get a new pillow and pillowcase. :)

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

evelynevvie posted:

Are you feeding him different flavors of wet food or different brands or what?

This is probably largely the problem. Cats, and kittens in particular have pretty sensitive tummies. Give him some canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just canned pumpkin) in with his food. It should help make his poops less runny. I kinda thought before he might have the kitty runs. If you haven't already, I'd suggest stopping over in the pet nutrition thread and discussing your food choices there. They can probably better advise you about the wide variety of food you are giving him.

I would personally give them one dry food, and just stock up on a couple flavors of wet food, and not change it up so much. Pick a couple flavors that you know they like and just buy it in bulk.

At least he isn't doing what my sister's kitten was doing...having his runny poops in a chair instead of the litterbox (which was badly in need of scooping)!

Yeah, we switch between Innova and Wellness. Wellness is the only one that comes in flavors so we'll probably just stick with that one (unless anyone thinks Innova/EVO is better I guess). We do just stick with one brand of dry food at least. We can try to find some canned pumpkin too.

Would it be OK if we just mixed in small amounts of other foods into their Wellness to add variety/prevent pickiness? Or would that probably make them sick too? We could mix in the pumpkin along with it.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

Yeah, we switch between Innova and Wellness. Wellness is the only one that comes in flavors so we'll probably just stick with that one (unless anyone thinks Innova/EVO is better I guess). We do just stick with one brand of dry food at least. We can try to find some canned pumpkin too.

Would it be OK if we just mixed in small amounts of other foods into their Wellness to add variety/prevent pickiness? Or would that probably make them sick too? We could mix in the pumpkin along with it.

I wouldn't. Pick a flavor they like and eat without coaxing, and just give them that.

It would be the equivalent of eating something that ALWAYS gives you diarhea all the time, and taking Pepto after every meal. I doubt your kitties want to live that way ;) The canned pumpkin is a short term solution, like to help transition from crap grocery store food to ultra premium food. It's not something you should have to give them all the time.

Just stick to something you know they will eat. Cat pickiness is going to come from things like letting them get away with begging for people food and stuff. Make sense?

If you haven't already then pop over to the pet food thread. They can help you a lot with specifics. It's great that you are giving your pets the best foods. But, you don't need to give them every brand of good food.

It reminds me of a time as a kid I decided to wash my hair with every kind of shampoo my mom had in the bathroom thinking that she would be happy. I got yelled at, and informed that the different kinds of shampoo would probably work against eatch other. :(

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Weird question, but how do cats purr? Like, what goes on inside their body that produces that noise?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Augmented Dickey posted:

Weird question, but how do cats purr? Like, what goes on inside their body that produces that noise?

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/question394.htm

Basically air moving through a valve, both on inhale and exhale, making it appear like they purr constantly.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
So, one of my kittens has a mild gum infection involved with her baby teeth falling out. The vet gave me some antibiotic drops but by God does little Izzy HATE taking her medicine. Anyone have any tips for getting the drops into her?

I was gonna post pictures of the little guys here but I can't find the cable for my camera :(

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007

OatmealRaisin posted:

So, one of my kittens has a mild gum infection involved with her baby teeth falling out. The vet gave me some antibiotic drops but by God does little Izzy HATE taking her medicine. Anyone have any tips for getting the drops into her?

I was gonna post pictures of the little guys here but I can't find the cable for my camera :(

Use the Cat Burrito. It keeps all the kitty sharp bits out of you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4WBN53obFE

BIOJECT
May 12, 2006
So I plan on buying a cat in three weeks once I've settled into my new place. I live in a small apartment with a roommate. Anyway I've been reading about the benefits of purchasing two cats so that they can be buddies. I'm kind of worried about getting two only because I've never owned a cat before. Any advice for me on this?

So far my game plan is to keep the kittens in my bathroom until they get used to using the litterbox. Then I plan on letting them out in my room under supervision and putting them back in the bathroom when I'm away until I trust they won't be assholes to my stuff.

I've thoroughly read the thread about training and stuff. My only question is how to praise. I already understand that I should remove the cat from whatever undesirable things he's doing with a spray bottle or something. By praising should I just give him attention like petting?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

BIOJECT posted:

So I plan on buying a cat in three weeks once I've settled into my new place. I live in a small apartment with a roommate. Anyway I've been reading about the benefits of purchasing two cats so that they can be buddies. I'm kind of worried about getting two only because I've never owned a cat before. Any advice for me on this?

So far my game plan is to keep the kittens in my bathroom until they get used to using the litterbox. Then I plan on letting them out in my room under supervision and putting them back in the bathroom when I'm away until I trust they won't be assholes to my stuff.

I've thoroughly read the thread about training and stuff. My only question is how to praise. I already understand that I should remove the cat from whatever undesirable things he's doing with a spray bottle or something. By praising should I just give him attention like petting?

Yep, petting will work, or treats. You will want to kitten-proof your room a bit: cover cords, hide any paper you don't want chewed up, barricade houseplants, make sure the windows have good screens on them, etc.

One thing- do get your cats from a shelter, not a pet store. With a shelter, you're supporting an establishment that works in the cats' best interests, instead of a pet store, which is in it for money. Getting a cat from a shelter is called "adopting" rather than "buying/purchasing" and if you use the latter you may confuse and upset us catladies in here :)

Many shelters have adoption days AT pet stores, but it's different- call around your local Petcos and see if there are any soon. Try putting your zipcode into petfinder.com and see what shelters come up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Any suggestions for teething? My little almost 6 pound maine coon is starting to drive the other cat crazy (uh, moreso). Hes also currently chewing on a roll of paper towels that some how managed to get on the floor... gah...

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

exactduckwoman posted:

Many shelters have adoption days AT pet stores, but it's different- call around your local Petcos and see if there are any soon. Try putting your zipcode into petfinder.com and see what shelters come up.

Not sure about Petco, but at Petsmarts they have cats from local shelters all week. They don't sell cats and dogs. Pet Adoption days At Petsmart are only for dogs and are every Saturday.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

BIOJECT posted:

Unless you're gung-ho about kittens, you might consider a bonded pair of adult cats. A good shelter will know a little more about their personalities, so you can find an outgoing cat or a super playful cat or a cuddler. I have a clownish cat who I adopted when he was a year and a bit (the shelter said he'd been there for more than three months, while kittens came and were usually adopted the same day), and he's still a clown at eight and a half.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Hady posted:

Not sure about Petco, but at Petsmarts they have cats from local shelters all week. They don't sell cats and dogs. Pet Adoption days At Petsmart are only for dogs and are every Saturday.

Petco is the same way, but it's quite clear that the cats there are from a shelter agency (lots of signs and the word ADOPT everywhere). I wasn't sure if Petsmart had it too so thanks :)

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

exactduckwoman posted:

Petco is the same way, but it's quite clear that the cats there are from a shelter agency (lots of signs and the word ADOPT everywhere). I wasn't sure if Petsmart had it too so thanks :)

Yep, same thing at Petsmart. The word adopt everywhere, and the cats are kept there for a while too. The last batch I saw there were there for at least a month and had all kinds of notes on the cages about their personality and where they came from. It seemed like most were bonded pairs, and a combination of both cats and kittens.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I've been going to a local independant pet store for cat stuff because they're closeby and prices are pretty good. However I noticed that they had kittens for sale (only $199 spayed/neutered and vaccinated!) and when I asked where they got them from, the guy there said "breeders from around the province including one of our ex-employees". I wasn't aware that there are people who specialize in breeding domestic shorthairs so am I right in assuming they're selling kittens from BYBs and I should never go there again?

Helvetica Neue
Sep 1, 2004

OP posted:

2. What can I do to stop this?
First off, you've got to make sure that you're using an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Anti-Icky-Poo; if you aren't, no matter how carefully you clean up, IT STILL SMELLS LIKE PISS TO MR. WHISKERS. A soaked carpet may even need to be replaced. Cat pee is some kind of awful miracle liquid.

I have two cats. Pinot Noir is about 6 years old, female, spayed. Cheddar is 7 months old, male, neutered. Cheddar peed on my carpet at about 5 months old before he was neutered. In my experience, male cats only have the urge to mark/spray/PEE EVERYWHERE when they haven't been fixed, so I expected this to correct the problem. It didn't. (I'm fairly sure the female cat isn't peeing, just the male...)

There are two main spots he has peed. At least twice in one spot, and I don't know how many in the second spot. A lot. Maybe four times? It's a big area and it's on carpet. I started out with one 16 oz bottle of Nature's Miracle, then went back and bought another 16oz bottle after I saw how much was needed to soak the area. This was enough to cover spot #1, but I went back and got a gallon jug of NM to soak area #2. It's been a week since I soaked both areas, and both feel dry to the touch (but maybe the carpet pad is still wet underneath).

My problem is that it still smells HORRIBLE. I almost think the Nature's Miracle made the smell worse. I also bought a hand held blacklight so I could search for any other pee spots, which came with it's own bottle of enzyme-cleaning-action solution (I don't remember the brand, sorry). I dumped that on too for good measure.

Do you think I should wait the full 2 weeks as directed by the Nature's Miracle for the area(s) to dry? It says "odor may still be present until the area is completely dry (up to 2 weeks)" on the bottle.. but halfway there I'm just not convinced.

Should I try another enzyme based cleaner other than Nature's Miracle? I have read all kinds of reviews where people are just raving about this product but I'm really, really disappointed in it. Also, it did not remove the stain on the carpet. Should I try a carpet cleaner instead of a cat pee specific cleaner?

Also, from the OP:

OP posted:

If you suspect that cats marking the outside of your house are setting him off, you'll want to use an enzymatic cleaner out there, too, and possible moth balls to keep them from coming near your house again.
I just wanted to note that putting moth balls in a place where a cat might find/eat them is a really bad idea. My beloved childhood cat actually died from eating moth balls (why he wanted to eat them, I have no idea) and I'd hate for that to happen to someone else over cat pee.

Edit: Now with a photo of the culprit!

Helvetica Neue fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 17, 2009

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Eej posted:

I've been going to a local independant pet store for cat stuff because they're closeby and prices are pretty good. However I noticed that they had kittens for sale (only $199 spayed/neutered and vaccinated!) and when I asked where they got them from, the guy there said "breeders from around the province including one of our ex-employees". I wasn't aware that there are people who specialize in breeding domestic shorthairs so am I right in assuming they're selling kittens from BYBs and I should never go there again?

There ARE real, legitimate breeders of American Shorthair cats (wraithgar has one named Trophy, who owns). However, they don't sell out of pet stores, just like legitimate dog breeders don't. These "breeders" probably literally just make their mama cats pump out kittens and throw them into that stupid pet store. I don't know about you but I'd feel lovely spending my money there.

$199 is on sale?? I got TWO kittens for $150 from an awesome rescue. Maybe it's just because I'm in the Midwest but still, what the gently caress . . .

BIOJECT posted:

kittens

Yeah, definitely try to find some bonded adults, especially since you haven't had cats before. Kittens are cute but they are a big pain in comparison to adults and no one should ever get any unless they really want the specific experience of dealing with the little furry assholes. They chew on/play with/claw everything and aren't always up on their litter box skills. Adults can be active and playful too but they aren't as obsessed with messing with EVERYTHING. I got some kittens and while I cherish every moment of their kittenhood blah blah cheesy crap, I am looking forward to them growing up and calming the gently caress down/not running around and doing Matrix walljumps off the side of the bed while I'm sleeping/trying to turn my leg into pulled pork in order to get at a pants drawstring/no longer being able to fit into crazyass tiny annoying spots/BEING DICKS.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

Personally I would never shop there again.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

HondaCivet posted:

There ARE real, legitimate breeders of American Shorthair cats (wraithgar has one named Trophy, who owns).

:eng101: American Shorthair is a breed, and that is what Trophy is. Domestic Shorthair is a mutt cat, same for domestic longhair. So the idea of a DSH breeder is kind of lol.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I just want to thank everyone for their help on dealing with kitten poo poo and medicating Izzy. I found my microSD adapter today, so here are some cameraphone pics of my little guys.

Izzy chilling out by the patio door.

Munch watching his sister hide in a paper grocery bag.

They're both 4 months old and surprisingly well behaved. They only scratch things they're allowed to scratch (scratching post, doormats, etc) and I've never had them chew on any wires or anything. The pictures are a little deceptive. Izzy is a bit of a runt and she's gonna be really small when she grows up. I love these little guys. :3:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Awesome OP...my grandparents recently had a stray kitten around 6-7 weeks old show up that they don't want, so me and the wife are taking it in tomorrow. The wife wanted it declawed until me, my parents, and my sister (the three of whom have six of the drat things currently strolling around their house) told her she was to cats what Dr. Mengele was to Jews, so the SoftPaws link will be awesomely useful :) I do feel guilty for buying a bag of Purina Kitten Chow before reading the OP now, though.

Anyway, I did have one question that I hadn't seen addressed. My biggest concern for little Meow Tse Tung is vet bills; I hate even paying for people doctors, so this is kind of a concern. The wife did, however, find out that you can get what amounts to health insurance for your pet for around $10/month. I like the idea but find it to sound a little scammmish at the same time. Is this a good thing to get, and if so are there any recommendations? Or is it even more of a hassle than human insurance? Or is it just another way to seperate fools and money?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Anyway, I did have one question that I hadn't seen addressed. My biggest concern for little Meow Tse Tung is vet bills; I hate even paying for people doctors, so this is kind of a concern. The wife did, however, find out that you can get what amounts to health insurance for your pet for around $10/month. I like the idea but find it to sound a little scammmish at the same time. Is this a good thing to get, and if so are there any recommendations? Or is it even more of a hassle than human insurance? Or is it just another way to seperate fools and money?
For pet insurance, be sure you're reading the fine print. I have never heard of insurance for $10/month that will cover wellness visits (spay, vaccines, deworming, etc), which is what you're going to be spending the most on for the next few months. Most plans jack up the price significantly for wellness coverage, while the base coverage of $10/month (or whatever) will only cover illnesses, and only so many dollars per diagnosis (typically not enough).

Look into it and decide for yourself, but the more I've read about pet insurance, the more I think it's a big scam, like any insurance. They're making tons of money after all.

Even if your kitten is perfectly healthy, you should plan on spending $500+ in the next few months on shots and a spay. Personally I would just take the money you would be spending on pet insurance and set it aside for pet emergencies every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So I took my kittybutts to the vet for a checkup . . . She said they are very healthy but are starting to get a little fat! Kittens can get fat? They are 5 months old so I don't know if that counts as "kitten" anymore but they still have a lot of growing to do. They are around 6 lbs. each and she recommended about 180 calories a day for them (and thusly no more free feeding of dry food). Does that sound right? I just don't want to starve them or stunt their growth or anything.