Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

It’s heartbreaking enough when you know it’s coming but totally devastating when it’s so sudden. :(
It sounds like you did the best you could do. She looks like a wonderful little character. I’m so sorry for your loss, Sydin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

pidan posted:

I read this thread and hugged my cat a dozen times, she's still young but you never know.
Yeah… my boys are only 3 & 1 but it’s painful to even imagine having to let them go. Particularly the 3 y/o; he’s pulled me through some rough times and is a sweet velcro kitty. …doesn’t help the young one is still in the manic kitten phase. :shepface:

Sorry for your loss, Parara, and feel free to post any pics/memoriam for Pontus that feels right. Sometimes it’s nice to celebrate how goofy and wonderful an animal was in it’s health after having to experience it’s decline. I like Rotten Red Rod’s point about cats living very in the moment.

NomChompsky posted:

Yeah I called the Er vet and they basically were like "Watch her for vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite."

It couldn't have been much.

My dumb idiot 1 y/o eats toys (specifically a squirmy wormy) and the vet told me to monitor if he stops eating and then take him to an emergency vet. It’s been months and he never stopped eating.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Annath posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good, but affordable, wet cat food?

I'm currently buying THIS, which seems to be a good brand, but it's $38/24 cans. I have 2 cats, and they each get 0.5 cans per meal, 2 meals per day. So 2 cans per day .

Meaning I'm spending almost $70/month.

Is that a good price? Can I be doing better?

I think $70/month on canned food for 2 cats is actually really good. I sometimes feed my cats Nulo (I think they’re ok?), and they make 12.5oz cans and sell them in 12 packs:
$44.28 for 150oz

I weigh out the meals on a food scale and use something like thisto stash open cans in the fridge. Food gets nuked for 8-10 seconds so it’s warm for my goombas. :3:

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Huh, learned something new today. I've actually never seen or heard of a colourpoint before, as far as I knew kittens just got darker markings as they aged.

Siamese are colorpoints (tho not all colorpoints are Siamese?). It’s a heat sensitive mutation of albinism, iirc.

Here’s Niko at 6 months vs 1 year old:

My other cat, Sinjin, just went in for a routine exam this weekend and he 1) needs to lose a pound (Niko too probably) and 2) needs his teeth cleaned. He’d been doing this weird chewing on the side of his mouth at random times and the vet said there’s a lot of plaque and some gingivitis, so that’s probably what’s bothering him. Probably no extractions at least.

Kinda anxious about having him anesthetized but hopefully his mouth feels better. I guess… I need to figure out how to brush their teeth in the future?? 🙃

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

lol the last time maintenance came over Niko kept following one of the guys around, jumping up on nearby tables and chairs, just to meow in this guys face.

:kimchi:

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Does anyone have some good resources for how to do clicker training? I've been trying to read up a bit, but I don't know things like how many repetitions I should do of a given step of the process before progressing to the next one. How do I tell that, eg, I've "charged" the clicker and can now go on to using it to teach what I want to teach?

I'm sure there are other details I don't know too. if there's a good manual or reference or something for clicker training (preferably for cats) that would be super helpful.
I’ve used Cat School’s videos for clicker training. Haven’t done it in a while (not since I got a 2nd cat at least) but I did manage to teach my cat sit, down and was working on roll-over.

https://m.youtube.com/@CatSchool

https://www.catschool.co/

She has a membership on her site but it’s way too expensive imho. I guess if you got super hardcore about it, had been doing it for a while, and hit a roadblock it would be worth it. But there’s plenty of free stuff on YouTube to keep you busy.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Hi posted:

oh man I have so many pictures I would love to share but I dont know how many I can post before someone decides its excessive and yells at me haha

hes an amazing cat and so full of character

I bet folks in the YOSPOS cat thread would love to see him. :3:

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Tomorrow Sinjin has to be anesthetized for a teeth cleaning and they want me to give him gabapentin and

1) I’ve never pilled a cat
2) Sinjin is suspicious and won’t eat treats with medicine in them
3) I practiced restraining him and opening his mouth last night and he was not a fan.

:negative:

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Well, thanks for everyone’s advice on pilling but Sinjin was absolutely not having it and I could barely get his mouth open at all. For better or for worse another cat butler friend lent me some extra liquid gabapentin with a syringe applicator and I managed to get that in his mouth.

Funny thing: after trying and failing to pill him (even tried to grease the pill with butter :sweatdrop:) I split the pill open and mixed it in a Churu. He licked at it a little but gabapentin is bitter and he became distrustful (wouldn’t even eat untainted Churu). After I got the liquid version in his mouth I let Niko in and he bum rushed to the gabapentin-laced Churu and was, uh, undeterred by the bitter taste (no I did not let him eat all of it).

Anyway the cleaning went well, anesthesia went smoothly, and the vet tech gushed that Sinjin’s the softest cat and there were about 15 people cuddling him and one of them was carrying him around like a baby. :kiddo: idk if they’re just flattering me but the vet always gushes over his fur (it’s slightly crimped and smokey). :3:

Also I talked to the vet about providing me with liquid gabapentin in the future and they said that was cool.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Autodrop Monteur posted:

One of my cats occasionally chews on nothing and I was wondering if this is harmful or not.
He doesn't have any issues eating food, and seem quite happy in general.
I managed to catch it on video, including the sound he makes. Might need to unmute the video.
https://i.imgur.com/nMfffyO.mp4

My cat is was doing the same thing and I brought it up at his annual exam. They checked his teeth and he had a lot of plaque and some gingivitis so we scheduled a teeth cleaning.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Has anyone else had issues with Pica? Niko has always been pretty nuts about food but I feel like I’ve had increasingly frustrating issues with him eating toys, trying to chew/slobber on things until they’re soft enough to swallow, etc. Found him vomiting part of my swimsuit this morning.

Fortunately he hasn’t had a blockage (YET) but I’m stressed that it’s an inevitability.

Will email my vet but he seems otherwise healthy. I kinda clocked it to him being found on the street with the rest of his litter and having to compete for food.

Considering getting some food puzzles and working on keeping him more stimulated, but it’s been frustrating because there’s an increasing number of toys I can’t keep out because he suddenly decides they’re food. Started with fur toys getting slobbered & gradually digested, then string/elastic pieces on toys (ESPECIALLY with knotted bits) getting chewed off and swallowed, now he’s started to try to eat pom-pom balls.

:(

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Can anyone tell me what type of cat my boy is and what threads I may post pics of him in?

Thanks!

He’s beautiful and I love him!

Real answer is he looks like smoke tabby? It’s a coloration that is more common in British Shorthairs (link has some good pics of various smoke-colorations).

Breed-wise: he’s a cat. Unlike dogs, cats haven’t been specially bred for as long and most do not fall into a specific breed.

And the YOSPOS catte thread welcomes all cat pictures! Even weird cattes!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201527&perpage=40&pagenumber=7407&noseen=1

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

That seems to be a thing in UK & European shelters? I had a friend in Germany who kept running into the same issue.

…I kinda wonder how much of it’s because of ecological differences (in the US outdoor cats have really hosed with native songbird populations, and we’ve got coyotes). Idk if they have as many natural predators over there (aside from cars)? Obviously there’s more reasons to keep cats indoors, but there’s certainly cultural and regional differences in attitudes towards pets that are interesting to observe. Even in the states attitudes towards cats seem to have changed a lot in 20 years.

I see too many coyotes to ever consider outdoor cats. I literally saw a coyote run outside my apartment in broad daylight with a black cat in its mouth. :(

Kullik posted:

Kitten question

Post your kitten in the YOSPOS catte thread! Now that Tippy and Luna got big we don’t really have any little guys atm.

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 10, 2023

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Yeah I guess observe how they like to scratch (vertically, horizontally, etc) and place a similarly oriented scratcher in front of/by what they’re scratching. Give them praise/pets/treats when they scratch appropriate scratcher.

Eta: My cats don’t seem to like cardboard but love sisal. So maybe experiment with surfaces too.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

bltzn posted:

No he doesn't paw at anything in particular and he does it even when the TV is off.

My cat does that when he wants me to play with him. He does it to the TV and sometimes the side of the litterbox. Sometimes cats also paw at stuff to mark their territory (they have scent glands in their paws).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Update on my cat (Ansel) that was hiding like 75-80% of the time: He is now spending most of his time in the room with me either on his bed or on the top of my lizard's terrarium by the windows and heat lamps. Whenever I get in bed it's 2 or 3 minutes tops until he gets in bed and starts pacing around to figure out what part of my body he wants to cuddle up against. Sunday morning I laid in bed a while after waking up and he cuddled up against my chest with his head resting on my chin. He also handled being over at a friend's house well when I had to leave town for a couple days for work. I was worried about it, but he spent about 75% of his time under the friend's kotatsu. It's crazy to realize that it has only been three weeks since I picked him up, it feels like longer.

My friend that he was staying with says he seems like a Maine coon but I think at most he's a mix, he's got the big bushy tail and the big paws but he's only 10lbs and doesn't have the big chest floof or tufted ears. The shelter just described him as a domestic longhair but he was picked up by animal control, probably abandoned based on him having already been neutered.

Cat breeds are kinda bogus (I mean they’re real but unlike dogs 95% of cats are just Felis catus) but Ansel looks like a perfectly wonderful baby. :kimchi: Also sounds pretty adaptive if he handled going over to your friend’s place pretty well. One of my cats kinda closes off when I move him around.

Pollyanna posted:

Jet might have to wait for a while before I make some more friends for him to meet in a decade or two :smith:
First of all, I really applaud you for identifying your feelings and trying to prioritize the cats’ needs. I totally get what you’re saying about it feeling right vs it feeling wrong. I don’t really know how to quantify it and I think maybe I was a pest to shelters but it was really important to me for things to feel right before adopting.

I hope this year settles for you and you can find a perfect fit. 💕