Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

electr0naut
Jan 3, 2007

whiskey and speed
My kitten is not afraid of tin foil apparently.

When I got him he was peeing beside my TV for some reason and I was told (not by my vet or anyone of importance) that I should cover the floor with tinfoil where he keeps trying to go (after I cleaned it of course). I figured I might as well, because I had tinfoil and it was worth a shot.

I woke up in the middle of the night to him attacking it and licking it. He didn't swallow any because there were no chunks missing from it but I did have to block the area off by wedging a large flat piece of cardboard between my desk and the TV unit. He never once tried to get though or knock it out of the way thankfully. But it looked really tacky for a long time.

The litter box WAS next to the TV when I first brought him home. I moved it to the bathroom and far far away from his food as soon as the cardboard was set up.

I removed all the cardboard and tinfoil and re-cleaned the area when he was out getting neutered on Friday. He came home and sniffed around a bit. No pee though! He is totally used to going in the bathroom now. It has been a few days and a success. A weird success that probably could have been reached easier, but meh.

I did use a spray that I found at Walmart (couldn't see any Nature's Miracle so I settled for it since I was in a rush) called "Enviro Fresh - Get The Odor Out" which did not seem to stop him. It wasn't just one spot either, it was on both sides of the TV and a few times in the back and on the N64. So I knew it wasn't him smelling his previous pee.

So there you go. Tinfoil is not 100% cat proof after all. That or my cat is just some kind of freak. (He is probably just a freak.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

electr0naut
Jan 3, 2007

whiskey and speed

Fire In The Disco posted:

As for the box, you probably moved it too quickly-- it's generally recommended that you move a litter box only a foot or so a day at the most when you're transitioning it to a new area so the cat doesn't do exactly what your cat did. :)

Yeah, after all the reading I did on new kittens I messed up with the litter pretty bad. I switched it as soon as I ran out of what the foster lady sent me home with despite reading that you shouldn't... but he WAS peeing on the floor before that so I think it was a mix of my own stupidity and his weird attraction to the TV. Whenever I turn it on he runs over and stands up to stare right into the screen. So cute!

Hmm.. maybe the previous tenant's cat peed there and he was smelling that!

electr0naut
Jan 3, 2007

whiskey and speed
My little guy didn't bury his business when I brought him home, but I switched his litter and he immediately started doing it without me showing him anything. I just figured he'd be a kitty that didn't bury poop and didn't think much of it.

If it matters, I went from Pine Pellets to World's Best Cat Litter. I only switched because the lady who was fostering him told me I had to go buy it from Home Depot because other stores didn't sell Pine Pellets as litter. I realized she was wrong after switching and asking an employee at the pet supply store I use. I already changed it though so whatever.

electr0naut fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 12, 2009