Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.
Hey guys, I'm seriously considering adopting a kitten as a companion to my current adult cat. My current cat is about two and a half, and fairly active, and for a number of reasons I think a new kitty bud for her would be of great benefit. :3: Anywho, I have a couple of questions that I didn't have to go through when I got my current cat that I haven't seen answered here yet (unless I missed them?):

Clumping cat litter: I've heard that kittens aren't supposed to be on clumping cat litter because if they ingest it it can cause problems and such. At what age is it alright to be placed on clumping litter? Regardless of age, am I supposed to start on non-clumping and then switch to clumping if I see the cat doesn't seem to show interest in eating it?

Vaccine/Deworming schedules: What ages are these usually performed? I've heard that kittens usually get vaccines three times in the first year--when I got my current cat, she only needed her boosters at her one year mark, so I'm not sure when the other first two vaccines are supposed to take place. I know the shelter does whatever age-appropriate vaccines and such before you adopt, but I'd like a heads-up about what to expect. Should I do a deworming regardless when I get the kitten home?

Thanks so much for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.
Thanks HondaCivet and Helanna! I am happy to hear that clumping litter shouldn't be a problem--I can't stand the other stuff! Also, yes, I think the shelter does do some of the initial vaccines/dewormers, but I just wanted a heads up for what to expect. They require that you take your new animal to a vet within 48h so I suppose I will get whatever extra stuff they need then. Thanks so much for the info! :)

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.

HondaCivet posted:

If you want (lots) more litter box info go here. She's a little militant but she has lots of great advice and explains why non-clumping litter is a bad idea in general.

Thanks very much for the link, it was very informative, as was the rest of the site.