Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
I finally have a lease that allows free-roaming pets! My boyfriend is moving in as well, and we are considering adopting an adult cat within the year. (Our work schedules are fairly opposite, so the cat will have someone home for much of the day.) I grew up with a Maine Coon and was responsible for his care, and he's had four cats including two feral kittens that he's raised. (He has much more cat experience, obviously.)

What I want to know is what to look for in a cat at the shelter/rescue. Hopefully, rescues will have a good idea of what their cats are like, but since it can take a long time for them to settle into a home (my family's Maine Coon hid behind the wall unit for three weeks after we brought him home from the rescue), I was wondering if there were markers to check for personality traits. We'd like a laid-back lap cat that won't destroy the apartment or try endlessly to escape to the busy street outside - we both have a lot of attention to give a cat. I know how to check for potential problems or personalities with dogs, since I've worked with them a lot, but cat personalities are a mystery to me.

Also, going back to the comment about allergies, I have odd cat allergies. I am consistently very allergic to calico and tortoiseshell cats, and am not allergic to Maine Coons, Russian Blues, or most all-white or orange cats at all. It's very strange and my allergist can't explain it. (My allergic reactions kick in very quickly and I plan on taking a big huff out of the cat's fur at the shelter before adopting anything, but due to other allergies, Claritin-D is already a part of my daily routine and it won't be a dealbreaker either way.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

Oh, and since you want a pretty chill cat, you might want to try getting an older (7+ years old) cat. There are lots of awesome lazy loving senior kitties stuck in shelters and rescues just because their old people owners died or whatever. That and everyone wants kittens so old kitties take forever to get adopted. Remember that cats can get to be 20+ years old so even "old" cats will have lots of years left in them if you take care of them.

That's the plan!

There are a couple of reputable cat rescues around here, some do foster work. I was going to try to adopt from the shelter where I worked, since I trust their vet, but none of the animals there go into foster care. I'm sure there are connections, though.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Meow Cadet posted:

I find a little fan does wonders for dispersing cat box stink.

A box fan in the window, blowing out, works wonders on keeping rat-cage stink down. I assume it would work just as well for cat boxes. My folks used to sprinkle baking soda in the litter and stir it in when it would get smelly, too.

Alternately, train it to use the toilet:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

^^^Sapphire is the best name. :3:

My boyfriend's Russian Blue/Siamese cross, Paddy, was going to be moving in with us shortly, but he's been having trouble with his liver lately (read: for a long time, but he's taken a turn for the worse this weekend and needs more intensive treatment) and his parents would like to keep him with them - the move would be just too stressful, they have more money to throw at emergency vet bills than we do, and why shouldn't an ill, senior cat spend his twilight years in a sunny, wooded backyard with chipmunks to slaughter? :black101:

So, after talking about it with BF, we're going to look into adopting. Finally - it's been a continual back-and-forth with his folks about where Paddy should live and it only took them ~4 months to decide. He's very cat-experienced, as in, "hand-raised abandoned feral kittens and fostered them until they were completely tame" experienced. Unfortunately, I am highly allergic to cats and Paddy has been one of two cats, ever, that didn't give me sinus headaches and hives. (I can hold him and pet him and everything - it's amaaaazing! We're 100% sure on his breed, since he was the product of a neighbors' accidental litter.) Wikipedia tells me that RBs produce less allergens than most cats, which makes sense with my experience, but the source link is broken and I can't tell if it's BS or not.

The other issue is that neither of us want a kitten. They are assholes. Google is giving me nothing on RB breeders in my area (Boston) and Petfinder is showing me a bunch of gray cats that may or may not be (but most likely aren't) actual RBs. After the holidays, we're planning a tour of the local shelters and rescues so I can meet the random gray cats, but I'm trying to cut through the bullshit and hives and just adopt a less-allergenic kitty. Who knows a good RB rescue or a breeder that might be able to hook me up with an adult? I am in no rush and am the type to take my time and find the perfect fit, but would like to start looking - the house is so quiet without the rats about, and I already ran out and bought the litterbox, toys, and other supplies for Paddy's supposed arrival.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

This Russian Blue breeder is local to me, but is no longer breeding kittens - I fired off an email to ask about breeder referrals, breed rescues, general info. Do they look like a reputable source to you? (Almost all of my experience is with dogs; I can track down awesome dog breeders and rescues, but am kinda clueless about cats, short of health guarantees, FIV/FELV testing, and CFA registration.)

Here's another breeder - there's very little info on the site, so I fired off an email. I'm not holding my breath for them, simply because of the lackluster buyer's contract. It looks like they also breed French Bulldogs or bull terriers.

Finally, I've put the word out among my shelter contacts that I'm looking for a Russian Blue or mix thereof, or really any adult cat that will jive with my allergies, and plan on visiting two cats if they're still available after the holidays.

Advice? Comments? Much appreciated in advance. :3:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

ChairmanMeow posted:

I would stay away from any breeder that bred a lot of types of cats much less dogs as well. (YMMV) CZARINA actually looks really nice. The problem is they tend to *really hate* change and adopting an adult may be more difficult with this breed. It can be done with success it is just going to take patience. Have you considered a Siberian? This is an awesome cat for people with allergies.

I'm mostly trolling the breeders for resources - I would prefer an adult over a kitten, if possible, and a breed rescue would be ideal. "Dr. Evil Cattery" isn't a breeder I'd buy from, but if they can point me toward a rescue resource, that'd be great. If I ran across a Siberian, or really, any other cat that jives with my allergies, in rescue or as an adult, I would definitely go for it, but I really enjoyed all of the RBs that I've met (and would prefer the lighter shedding load of a short haired cat). I have yet to meet a Sibe in the flesh to see how I'd react.

There doesn't seem to be any reputable RB breeders in the general area (MA/NH/RI/CT would be ideal), and meeting the cat is important to me - if only so I can take a big sniff of fur and see what happens - so breeders who ship are pretty much out unless they're really, really reputable. Maybe I can ask for a mailed baggie of shed hair if I find a really good breeder? (That would be so creepy...)

Both MY BOYFRIEND and I have a lot of experience in animal rescue and rehab, and he's always been focused on feral and abused cats, while I focused on large dogs and rats with behavioral problems, so we both have a lot of patience with animals. I assume that it wouldn't take much more than time and treats to bring a cat around to living in our quiet apartment with no other animals - I'm more than willing to put in the work for a difficult cat. (You know I'll be turning here for advice...)

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

OK, all, I've spent some time this past few weeks visiting cats in rescue that might be Russian Blues - unfortunately, the five candidates I had in mind were definitely not purebred RBs (yellow eyes or white markings that their Petfinder shots didn't show, etc.) and threw my allergies into overdrive. Just to make sure that it wasn't an isolated incident to Paddy the RB, I visited a friend of mine who has two RBs from a local breeder (who is no longer breeding and apparently too busy to reply to an e-mail asking about local breed rescues or other breeders that they could connect me with), and was kind enough to let me spend the day hanging out with them. No reaction. It's amazing.

So, while I'd like to keep an eye on the Petfinder listings and continue to call around to nearby rescues, I'd also like to shop around for responsible breeders and talk to them about older kittens or adults. I may eventually cave and pick out a kitten if these options exhaust themselves - my boyfriend has a great grip on how to rear kittens, so we wouldn't be lost on the subject. Again, since neither of us have ever actually bought a cat from a breeder, I'd like to show you trustworthy folks a few that I pulled out of the CFA listing that would ship. Opinions before I fire off an email inquiring about their cats? I'm a sad IT nerd, all I really know how to critique is how hideous all of their website designs are:

CzarCats
Wynterwynd Russian Blues
Heatherwynd Russian Blues

(Why do all catteries have such fruity names?)

Again, if anybody has any resources on RBs in or around Massachusetts, please please please hook me up! My Rolodex full of dog rescues is failing me here, of course. :smith:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

I'm meeting with THIS KITTY on Saturday; hopefully she jives well with my allergies because god drat is that one cute cat. The rescue claims that their cat-allergic employee does very well with her and that she'd do well as an apartment cat, too.

So pumped!

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

im sorry that cat looks defective its eyes dont open :ohdear:

Right? At least her eyes open in the video, I was concerned. The shelter is really nice but is apparently staffed entirely by loud old ladies who forget to return my phone calls. :v:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Petey posted:

But the first hurdle to clear is finding a cat that won't kill my dad and I, because if we can't do that, it's not even worth investigating the other things.

Wikipedia (and the first page of posts) says there's no such thing as a truly hypoallergenic cat. Makes sense, but there's no thing as a truly hypoallergenic dog either, and my dad and I can handle poodles etc OK despite being allergic to dogs as well (although I am more allergic to cats than to dogs, at least according to the allergy test I took).

What I'm looking for are comparatively hypoallergenic cats, i.e. a subset of the larger cat population that we could then get tested for allergies against or something, or some sort of idea of what might possibly be tolerable. About the only rule is no sphynx/hairless cat because (I'm sorry) they are creepy as balls.

I just brought a Russian Blue mix home today, actually - I have cat allergies and she doesn't bother them one bit so far. (I even ran my hands over her fur and then immediately wiped them over my eyes before filling out the adoption paperwork - any other cat would've turned them blood red within like 15 minutes, it's awesome.) My allergist ran me through a course of immunotherapy designed to cut down on the reaction to dogs and cats - make an appointment and ask.

Immunotherapy took one scratch test at the allergist's to determine my allergies, then one injection a month of altered allergen for six months to a year - it works like a vaccination, sort of, to teach your system how to deal with the allergen. It's helped my food allergies as well as my animal and pollen ones.

(This cat is awesome by the way, she's a 1y/o Russian Blue cross from the Standish Humane Society in Duxbury, MA, and she weighs about 5lbs. Lots of purring so far. She needs a :black101: name, though, she's already patrolling the mouse holes in the apartment!)

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 19, 2009

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Her name is Lille. Short for Lillehammer. :black101:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

So nobody is sure about what Lillehammer's weight should actually be. She's 5# and teeny, you can kind of see the shadow of her ribcage from the side, I can feel every vertebra when I pet her back, and her pelvis is a little obvious. Her legs and tail are super long, which kind of adds to the illusion of a skinny cat. My knowledge is all dogs and rats, so I can't really tell if she's just naturally petite or needs a few more ounces on her. (I'd peg her as like a 4 on the chart in the OP.)

I was going to wait about a week to start adding Blue Wilderness in with the Science Diet she was eating at the shelter, but maybe it wouldn't hurt to start early? I'm going to pick up a Cat Dancer and a laser pointer in hopes of getting her heavier exercise, because I'd like her to pack on more muscle than fat.

I'd also like to note that Cat Attract is awesome and she found and used her box within like a minute of coming out of the carrier. Score! :haw:

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 22, 2009

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Lillehammer is giving me grief about leaving the apartment. I think she's still confused by her shelter stay and possibly thinks I'm not coming back. When I start putting on my jacket and getting my purse together, she starts rubbing up against me and following me from room to room, then gets spooked and tries to follow me out of the apartment, mewing pathetically the whole time. (Luckily the door doesn't lead outside, just to a hallway, so if she does manage to get out, it's not that huge a deal.)

She's got plenty of toys that she likes around the place, and I feed her before I leave. Hell, my boyfriend's home with her today, but he was still asleep when I left and she wanted nothing to do with him.

A friend of mine recommended Feliway, which I'll try shortly, but it's god damned heartbreaking and I know it's going to keep making me late for work like I was today. :emo:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Turns out Lillehammer is a born hunter, which is fantastic as my old apartment building has a bit of a mouse problem and she is dispatching them left and right. I asked the super if they put down poison, and he said no, but he can't guarantee that other people don't put it out in their own apartments. I don't want my cat to die from warfarin poisoning (which may or may not even be a problem), but I also want to encourage her to hunt and kill the vermin. I also don't think there will be any stopping her when a mouse crosses her path.

What I'm doing right now is to take away the mouse corpse as soon as I notice it (usually I find it ripped to bits and spread out all over the kitchen floor in the morning) and chuck it in the dumpster out back, and I give Lille a high-value treat (freeze-dried mini shrimp!) in place of the mouse. She doesn't appear to be eating the mice, just mutilating them horribly. :black101:

Is there something else I should be doing? I'm going to talk to a few of my neighbors and see if they're putting down poison, and possibly offering up Lille's services as pro mouser (or a sachet of cat hair to place by the mouse holes) if they'll stop, but I only know a few folks in this building and a bunch only speak Cantonese, so I don't know what I'm going to say to them.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

Augh, with all these terrible kitty emergencies everywhere I feel sort of bad for asking something so minor but . . . One of my kitties has lots of dry peeling skin on his pawpads. There's no cracking or bleeding or anything but it still looks like he has some very dry skin on his paws. It's a typical Wisconsin winter here right now which means lots of cold dry air, but we do have a humidifier so it shouldn't be crazy dry. Have you guys seen anything like that? Should I do something about it? If so, what?

This used to happen to my dog growing up - my mom put jojoba or coconut oil on her paws when it happened and it worked really well. (Does wonders for human skin and hair, too!)

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Lillehammer hates the ZoomGroom, whichs sucks because so far it's the only affordable tool that gets her undercoat out. She just gets mad and runs away after I use it on her. Same goes for slicker brushes, she'll let me use a flea comb and that's it so far. Soft bristle brushes don't pick up any hair, and she's spooked by the static that comes with them, either.

What works on a double-coated cat that won't piss her off? Might have to shell out for the Furminator. :sigh:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

^^ Ginger kitties, yay! The marking on her side is almost shaped like an eye, call her Sauron, hah!

Is turkey a common "problem food" for cats? Mine gets a variety of Buffalo Blue Spa wet foods at night (I buy a few of each flavor and she gets 1/2 can of whatever each night) and she always seems to not eat or puke up the turkey flavor. Her dry food is Blue Wilderness chicken and she has no other problems with food. I'm not going to feed that type anymore, but I want to know how aware I should be of turkey or other ingredients in her treats, etc.

Also, a groomer buddy told me that catnip helps after throwing up or when the cat has a hairball. Not sure how true this is, but Lillehammer is a friggin' nut for the stuff so it'd be an easy treatment.

Here, have a cute picture from when she came home:

(This is how she usually sleeps. I will never tire of posting catpix.)

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Lillehammer took to a covered box in no time, I just filled it with Cat Attract the first few times and make sure to keep it super clean. (I scoop out the clumps every day, plus a full litter change and scrubbing the inside of the box every week.) It's got a built in charcoal filter and vents, so it really doesn't stink much when I open it up.

I went covered because she throws her litter everywhere, this really cuts down on the mess. Placing the box on top of a cheap sisal mat works to catch anything she'd track, too.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm guessing he scoops the poo poo out of it fairly regularly.

I only have one cat, but I scoop every day and do a complete litter dump-and-replace and wash the box with vinegar once a week. I can't stand cat pee smell and I'm a little bit of a germophobe/clean freak, though.

Hopefully this hasn't already been covered ITT but link me if it has, I'm moving from an apartment to a townhouse probably next month and bringing my indoor-only cat with me. Right now the apartment door opens to a hallway, but after the move the front door will open right to the front yard. Lillehammer the cat has only made an escape attempt when there have been stray cats stuck in the hallway (she hates other cats), but there are a few outdoor/stray cats in the neighborhood and I'm a little concerned about her bolting out into the street. Besides installing a storm door and being careful while coming and going, is there anything else I can do to help ensure that she stays inside? She is chipped but microchips aren't car-repelling force fields and traffic is my main concern.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

four lean hounds posted:

I bought it at Petsmart based on the fact that it was the biggest mat. If you have options, I say always go for the biggest one you can fit around the litter area. My friends also swear by that no-skid stuff that you line cabinets with and that can be cut to size. Whatever you go with, pick something that can be rinsed off/chucked in the wash for easy cleaning.

My cat likes to kick and track her litter everywhere, too. I use a large covered box with a flap door (this one) on top of a synthetic-fiber sisal rug. The synthetic sisals can be machine washed but I just vacuum it regularly and then wash it in the bathtub with vinegar and water every couple of months. I've tried a lot of different things (rubber litter mats, Astroturf, carpeted car mats) but nothing I've tried has caught and held litter quite so well.

I found my synthetic sisal for around $10 at a dollar store but I've also seen them at Homegoods and similar stores. Mine likes to use it as a scratching post as well, but at that price point I don't care, and it still looks pretty good after a year of wear and tear.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

marshmallard posted:

While we're on claw-trimming, I'd appreciate ANY tips for doing it on your own. The cat burrito method doesn't work on Grumples, I can't keep him held still enough to trim :/

With Lille I grab a handful of scruff and then lay her down on her side. I hold the leg still and someone else clips. Definitely a two-person job.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

TotallyUnoriginal posted:

What options do I have? I doubt I'll be able to find another home for him and I'd prefer to have him around for a long time but we can't sleep and neither can the neighbors.

It's a long-term process - usually 6 months to a year to complete - but if your girlfriend's health insurance covers an allergist, she could look into immunotherapy. I still have a dander allergy after a year of monthly shots, but it's much, much less extreme than it was. (My allergies would result in wheezing and full-blown hives all over my body, and now I live medication-free with a cat who sleeps on my bed.) If hers is as basic as itchy eyes/throat then she'd probably be a great candidate.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Shnooks posted:

I thought it just applied to kittens :( Ollie is just going to have to wait a few months for a playmate. I'm not sure I can handle two cats right now.

Does he respond to catnip? Any long-ish (banana-sized) toys for him to claw? I got a big stuffed catnip snake for Lille and it's her favorite thing when she's keyed up and energetic - she just grabs it, flops onto her side and kicks the living crap out of it with her hind feet. When she gets hyphy and jumps on my ankles I just give it to her and she redirects her feline urge to eviscerate onto the toy.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Does anybody have experience making their own cat shelves? I'm buying a condo that has a finished basement, the windows down there are at ground level and so they're very high up on the walls. Putting in a huge cat tree or spending $70+ a pop on cat-specific shelves isn't something that I'm interested in, so I was thinking of making some shelves like these ones, topped with either adhesive-backed felt or some glued-down carpet scraps, leading up to one of the windows.

My cat is small, about 7lbs. at her heaviest, for reference. Is there anything beyond max load and non-skid surface that I should be considering?

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Bear in mind that 7lbs at rest is different from 7lbs landing from a jump.

Velcro the felt/carpet scraps so they're easy to remove & replace.

Loads of people have done cat shelves using Ikea stuff. Google around and you'll find tons of guides and tips. I may sperg out and find them for you this evening :catstare:

If you have a lot of space, you could do something sweet like this

Holy poo poo, that is a hell of a setup! Probably a little extreme considering that every piece of furniture I own is "cat furniture" as far as Lille's concerned.

I've seen cat shelves built from Ikea Lack shelves but they have a max load of 7lbs. total - I hear you on the "at rest vs. landing" thing and am aiming for ~35lbs. max load in the shelves I build, to account for that plus any potential weight gain. The velcro is a great tip, especially if I end up having to wash the tops, thanks!

Speaking of Ikea, I'm planning on making a litterbox cabinet out of a Besta or similar, sort of like this one.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

My own question: I'm moving in 3 weeks or so. We'll be going on a 4-5 hour car trip. Every time Luna rides in the car for about 15 min, she barfs. She's never been farther than 15-20 min away at a time. Would it make sense for me to maybe not feed them for 12 hours before, or something? I don't want her to have to sit in her own vomit for 4 and a half hours :( Also it smells. Opinions? It seems a bit much to get an antiemetic from the vet but I suppose that's an option.

My childhood cat would barf in the car, we would line his carrier with puppy pee pads. Having something disposable means that you can pull over and throw it away, rather than having a towel full of hot barf in the car with you for the rest of the trip.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Drythe posted:

Trying to convince my landlord to allow for a pet in my apartment now that we changed management. I got this response from them and it is a little :psyduck:

"There is a mouse problem." Worked like magic on my no-pets landlord - there really was a mouse (and rat) problem in my old building but it wouldn't be totally beyond the pale to invent one. Of course they sold the place a few weeks later to a pet-friendly owner so in the end it was all for naught.

I'm looking to replace my cat's huge, ugly closed litterbox, she is a prime litter kicker and the box looks hideous in my otherwise cute (but small) guest bath. I like the look of Modkat but paying $150 for a plastic square is dumb as heck, and I'm not sure if she'd use the top-entry anyway. I did see that the Clevercat is a lot cheaper, but then I'm back into "ugly beige plastic" territory and I'd like to avoid that. Basically what I need is a compact, non-ugly covered box that's really good at containing kicked litter.

I'm not averse to building something simple if I have to but my skills are rudimentary at best and most of the IkeaHacker type projects are waaay too big for the bathroom.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

potee posted:

I didn't have a great place to put a litter box, and my cat flings so much litter you'd think she shits firecrackers, so I got this to resolve both problems:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005AFMJWC/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm eyeballing a smaller version of this but I'm looking to see it in real life so I can gauge how it would fit into my bathroom. It's a guest bath so it's pretty small but I think it might look nice with a few plants on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Robo Kitty posted:

Since the fish oil isn't working out I'm going to call the vet to find out what the Benadryl dose for a 10lb cat is, but I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions for pet wipes or sprays to reduce her itching and soothe her skin. I feel bad I didn't try to address this sooner - that bald spot looks like she's been working on it for a while, and I hate to think she's been miserable all this time. (I have terrible seasonal allergies myself so I can certainly commiserate with how much it sucks.) I already vacuum a lot and have a HEPA filter to deal with my own allergies, and will start washing her bedding more frequently.

I use the nondrowsy children's Benadryl most of the time and it doesn't knock me out unless I mix it with booze, you might want to start there.

Lille's skin and coat always visibly improve when I remember to supplement her diet with some green tripe, my vet recommended it when the heat in our old apartment was drying her skin out. It smells like concentrated rear end, though.