Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Fire In The Disco posted:

they all get used (except the hammock on the bottom).

loving cats not appreciating awesomeness when they have it. :argh:

Civet, if I were you I would go nuts with it and build as many things into it as you can. It'll be fun for you and the cats will explore it all and be able to develop their own preferences, since they have a lot to chose from. Make a thread about it, why don't you? I'd be interested in seeing some in progress pics, since I plan on doing this myself at some point, and my DIY skills are nil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

i saw dasein posted:

I dunno what is going on, she saw the vet yesterday and he said she was completely healthy.

Did you specifically discuss the peeing outside the box or was it just a general check up?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Wow, sounds like a very stressed out kitty. I hope it's just nerves and she calms down soon, but it sounds like she could've had some behavioral issues go unnoticed by the former owner. :(

Sorry to switch gears here, but we're thinking of adopting an older cat! :3: Recently we petsat for a friends cat, a neutered adult tuxedo, and our cats got along fine and were playing with him by the end of the week. I even saw some tentative grooming and sleeping close to each other, so I'm relatively convinced we can easily integrate another adult without much problem. I don't want a kitten because gently caress that energy level, really.

This cat will make three, the other two are Tom (2 1/2 yr old) and Tillie (2 yr old). We plan to adopt from the local high-kill shelter, since they actually do a fair amount of temperament testing and it's free to adopt 5+ year old kitties; they even toss in bonus discounted vet care. Conveniently enough, we've also been getting a bunch of new kitty stuff before this idea even occurred, as if subconsciously we were planning this, so we've got a new Amarkat mansion in addition to our old crappy Petco one, a new running water fountain, a new self-cleaning box and a bigger storage bin for their food. I'm also ordering a Feliway plug-in as I write this.

These are my 'things I need to address before just running out and getting kitty':
1.) Health. Most of the cats we're looking at are over 5 years old and some have dental issues. The shelter will give us 2 years of discounted vet care, so money isn't a worry, nor is time invested in care, but how do I acclimate an adult cat to brushing its teeth without using treats and getting the teeth more dirty? Are there good dental health treats out there?

2.) Food. My guys are on Halo Indoor (Spot's Stew, Salmon flavor) and are free fed because they've been good about it, but is this good for possible dental issues? Should we stop free feeding?

and lastly,

3.) Behavior. I wanna adopt an older kitty that's likely gonna be put down, so I anticipate some behavior issues and have been reading the thread for ideas on how to counteract them, but any additional tips or personal anecdotes would be fantastic. One of the cats I've been looking at has a tendency to swipe when she's overstimulated, and my first instinct to modify that would be to go slow and give her attention in short amounts, setting her up for success and rewarding her for not swiping, then slowly increasing the time spent giving her attention, using treats and praise. Is that a good strategy or am I thinking too 'dog'? :shobon:

And yes, I will post a veritable Pakistan-sized flood of pictures.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

ChairmanMeow posted:

Some one posted this recently
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/Brushing-Your-Cats-Teeth/Entire-Video to get cats used to brushing teeth, I haven't tried it yet, but it looks worth a shot.

Yes! Exactly what I needed, thanks. :)

Emailed a rescue today about a deaf 8 year old tabby DLH mutt....we will see how this pans out.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

We haven't adopted a new kitty yet, so here have some pictures of my two morons!

Today we let them outside for a (heavily supervised) tour of our backyard. They're getting fat and lazy indoors, and being outside is a treat for them, so we'll keep it up as long as the two idiots don't wise up and realize they can easily jump up the wall.

Tillie was ecstatic.

She couldn't shut up about it.

Thomas wasn't so sure..

But then he discovered the jingle ball.

And Tillie was there for moral support.

Tom eventually discovered warm concrete, which he also enjoyed.

DO NOT EAT PAINTCHIPS YOU IDIOT :argh:

:3:

All in all, a grand adventure.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

^^Strangely, my cats won't touch actual meat, raw or cooked. It pains me constantly. They are fat American assholes who want the convenience and tasty preservatives. :downs:

Red Robin Hood posted:

I read through the entire FAQ but I either missed it or it wasn't in there. I'm curious about cat treats. I just adopted a 1.5 year old female cat from my local shelter and she's a sweetheart, and I would like to reward her good-doings with some cat treats. Cat nip is good and I have some of that but I was wondering if anyone has had an experience with the cat treats that come in the little bags... awhile back my mom's cat's vet talked about how giving the cat too many treats like that can actually be harmful. Anyone have any suggestions?

Evo Wild Cravings, Halo Liv-a-Littles, and Vitakitty Chicken are what I use for trick training and good behavior. I limit the amount they get or make sure they 'work' for it by hiding treats around the house, in their puzzle box (just a cardboard boxed with the flaps taped so they can only stick a paw in a little gap in the middle-they'll spend hours trying to dig the treats out) and in treat-dispensing balls.

I also make Tillie run laps around the house (which involves me running around with the dangly toy like an idiot) before she gets a treat. Because I am insane.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 4, 2010

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Sarah Barracuda posted:

Apartment dwellers: is there an easier/better way to do this?? How do you keep sanitary? She's the only pet and it's the only litterbox but oh god she CRAPS SO MUCH.

I swear I'm the only one who knows about this item, so whenever I post it I get very :smug:

You should get your hands one of these babies:

It's the Omega Paw Roll'n Clean Litterbox. I know your problem isn't so much with scooping as it is with cleaning the actual box, but this works great for both purposes, as far as I can see.

The box scoops itself when you roll it over, then you pull out the catch tray, empty it and clean it, and you're done. You still have to clean out the box, but substantially less than with a regular box or an automated self-cleaner, since the mess gets deposited into the tray and the box itself stays relatively clean. I'd still go with the old shower/bleach routine if I didn't have access to a yard and a hose now, but I don't have to do it nearly as often; I'd say two-three weeks or once a month.

ETA: Forgot to mention, it's usually around $30-40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Day 1: I love it love it love it, so easy, so not-touching-poopingly awesome!

Yaaay :neckbeard:

Woohoo I earn mental commission in :smug: from your purchase!

Really though, just make sure you slide all the tabs into place before you roll it. Otherwise...poophands.