Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

BurgerKingBathroom posted:

I'm moving back home to my parents in a few months (I know, shameful) and will be bringing my lovely orange cat with me. My parents love my cat, but are super intolerable of the smell of cat poop. Any ideas on how to combat the stank of the litter box so I don't upset my new roomies? I clean the box regularly (typically every other day) and replace the litter every couple of weeks - and I know that the smell of cat poo poo is basically inevitable...just wondering if anyone has any tricks!

I've had amazing success in getting rid of poopsmell by using Naturally Fresh litter, there's a special kind in a yellow bag that has enzymes in it that break up the poop smell molecules. It also clumps really well... might be worth a shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

Vastyr posted:

Does anyone know WTF is up with tapeworm tabs lately? I used to get them 3$/pop ~ and it seems like now they are WAYYYYY expensive. Any hot tips or am I stuck paying 40$+++ for 2 or 3 tabs now?

Well one of the big US manufacturers, Petlabs, stopped making it this year. Their med (or some pill part) supplier ran out for months, then offered to sell the med at a way higher price, so the manufacturer discontinued. now it's just prescription which should be cheap at a vet, or Bayer through Petsmart.

Source: I work at a store that used to carry them, and after months of "soon we'll have it back" I phoned their support line and was told all this as a store rep, instead of a customer.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Any suggestions on good chew toys for a teething kitten? She's biting my fingers every chance she gets but sort of gently chewing on them, I obviously want to discourage this and redirect her to something else but stuff on Amazon has really varied reviews. Don't want to get her something secretly dangerous or anything.

My cat loved bully sticks during teething, and beef gullets, that kind of small dog treat thing.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
Last night in front of a house guest that I haven't seen in 14 years, my cat barfed.

He ate his wet food supper and climbed his cat tree next to the couch we were on. A few minutes later, hork hork. We look over and he leans over the tree edge from the top, and horks up his whole stomach contents. A stream, like a waterfall, comes out, splashes down along the new curtains, and down into the floor heating vent. The heat is on. The room smelled of cat vomit for a while. We cleaned up and went to bed.

Glorious.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

Blackhawk posted:

Any tips on removing matted fur (at least I'm pretty sure it is, I can feel two lumps in his coat) from a cat who definitely doesn't want to be picked up or held and has become somewhat distrusting of the brush?

How about a dematting comb from petsmart or petco? They don't even look like brushes and will scythe out the mats without pulling

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I was thinking about making one of those outdoor cat shelters (its basically a storage tote with insulation) since I sometimes see a cat or two wandering around outside from time to time. I thought it be kinda a cool project to try. Only problem I'm running into is the straw. Basically every guide I see says you need to use straw for the bottom/bedding of the shelter. But I'm having a really tough problem finding straw around me. Are there any decent substitutes for straw for this? I'd like to use something I can buy nearby in case I need to replace it at some point.

Is there a feed or ranch store near you? They'd have straw year round. Maybe a good pet store too. Straw is really good for the purpose so I dunno a good alternative. I use straw in my own 'guest house'

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
Found some old old old dee eight catnip in a drawer.

https://youtube.com/shorts/zsbC2hxLgSM?feature=share

I think it's still good. (This was after ten minutes of crazy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

Talorat posted:

A friend of mine's cat has FIP and isn't looking too good. The Vet says there is some sort of blackmarket cure for it? Is this a real thing or a scam? Does anyone have any experience with it?

Here is a picture of Bento for context, he's a very sweet and very stupid little boy.

Yeah a local shelter here does this and it's a LONG process but they've had a near 100% success rate.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8621566/