Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiener Pee Mouth
Jul 23, 2007

Another question about removing cat urine smell: I'm taking an old polyester rug from my parents to bring to my new apartment. I found it in the attic, and it must have been sitting there for a few years at least. Unfortunately, it looks like their cats peed all over a considerable section of it, which was left unclean, and then rolled up and put into storage. It smells really strongly on about 20% of the rug. After researching online I saw some terrible reviews for Nature's Miracle and other enzyme involved cleaners, so I would love to avoid spending the money on them if they don't work well.

My first attempt was to use a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution thickly applied to problem areas. It worked great at first; it neutralized the odor in sections that were not super strong, but some scent remained on the worst section. I continued to add more, hoping to penetrate deeper into soiled material, but my rug started to bleed (it's red) and the towels I was using to dab up excess turned pink with dye. I had read that peroxide was ok for synthetic fabrics but I have no expertise in this area so I don't know if I'm harming my rug (the colors still look as vibrant as ever; there is no visible damage yet).

However, I'm hesitant to use more peroxide or to use other treatments like vinegar- will my rug lose its piss smell and simply take up a vinegar one? I've also heard baking soda works well- but will it be difficult to remove after applying it? Does anyone have experience on polyester rugs or red-colored rugs? It might be possible that red rugs bleed more than other colors? This is such a hassle! I can reward advice with cute pictures of the offending cats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiener Pee Mouth
Jul 23, 2007

New cat owner here. I adopted an 8 week old kitten through the humane society about a month ago. 2.5 weeks ago she began exhibiting URI symptoms so I took her to the vet. They confirmed URI and gave her some Doxycyclen to clear up a secondary eye infection. She was on that for about a week, and the eye is totally cleared up. However, she is still sniffly and has some eye gunk (it seems unrelated to the infection she had). You can see wetness around her nose from the snot, and over the last few days one nostril is bloody from all of the sniffling/sneezing :(. My apartment is pretty dry so I ordered a humidifier to help with that. In the meantime I have been steaming her in the bathroom about once per day and cleaning her eyes/nose regularly. I put some lip balm on her really dry nostril a few times to help with the cracking but she HATED that so I stopped. The vet said to only bring her back in if her symptoms worsen, which they definitely have not.

Is there anything else I can do? Should I be worried that the symptoms still persist after 2.5 weeks? She's better than in the beginning, but I would only say about 50% better. She eats/drinks well and is incredibly playful - definitely not acting like a sick cat. I'm taking her back to the vet likely this weekend for some shots, so I will ask them then as well. On an unrelated note, she was never tested for FIV of FeLV (the humane society said there are too many false positives in young kittens to justify the cost of the tests, but I could pay for them myself elsewhere if I felt so inclined). Is this something I should do, even just for peace of mind? She was a feral kitten. Any and all advice would be appreciated!

Bonus pic of the little monster: