Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
So I'm looking to adopt a pair of kittens for the first time ever. :3: My mom was always critically allergic to anything warm and adorable, which was incredibly frustrating because I'm not. Now that I've settled into my new place and I'm in a good financial position to keep a pet, I think it's high time I have a couple of kittens roaming about.

My question is this: I have a few choices as far as adopting goes. I could go to the city animal shelter, or a privately-run no-kill shelter. Would either one be any better than the other? If I can't go wrong with either, I'm gonna start looking in the private place because it's closer to my apartment.

Also, I really have no idea how to go about finding a good vet. I assume the shelters will be able to point me in the right direction?

The vet thing is the only part I'm worried about. I've been studying and researching my rear end off since I moved here, but a finding good vet is the one thing I'm a little worried about. My mom's been joking that you'd think I'm getting ready for a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
So I'm the happy owner of two adorable tuxedo kittens, and I'm having my first-time pet owner blues. Mainly the smell. Oh god the smell! I was worried about them at first because they didn't eat all day. If it went much longer I was gonna take them to a vet to see what was up. But now they're eating and drinking like champs, and as a result leaving shits bigger than they are. What can I possibly do to mitigate this horrible smell? I can't be expected to be on 24-hour scoop duty, can I?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
So, one of my kittens has a mild gum infection involved with her baby teeth falling out. The vet gave me some antibiotic drops but by God does little Izzy HATE taking her medicine. Anyone have any tips for getting the drops into her?

I was gonna post pictures of the little guys here but I can't find the cable for my camera :(

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I just want to thank everyone for their help on dealing with kitten poo poo and medicating Izzy. I found my microSD adapter today, so here are some cameraphone pics of my little guys.

Izzy chilling out by the patio door.

Munch watching his sister hide in a paper grocery bag.

They're both 4 months old and surprisingly well behaved. They only scratch things they're allowed to scratch (scratching post, doormats, etc) and I've never had them chew on any wires or anything. The pictures are a little deceptive. Izzy is a bit of a runt and she's gonna be really small when she grows up. I love these little guys. :3:

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
I have sort of a general cat question from watching my little guys have their kitten fights. Why is it cats do that butt wiggle before they pounce? Is it like a balance thing?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

ChairmanMeow posted:

IIRC kittens lose their baby teeth between 3-6 months, It's perfectly OK!

Also make sure there isn't any infection. The kitten's gums should be a distinct pink color and not red. It probably won't be a problem, but my Izzy had a little bit of an infection involved with her baby teeth coming out.

It's weird. I never knew cats had baby teeth just like humans. I mean, it makes sense, but I never thought of it before.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
My Izzy seems to have diarrhea. It's her only abnormal symptom though, and she's still active and has a good appetite. While I haven't actually seen her eat much (I've been out of the house a lot) both the food and water dishes are empty at the end of each day. She hasn't gone outside the litterbox, and there doesn't seem to be anything bothering her physically. Should I take her to the vet in the morning, or is this a wait and see type thing?

Poor Izzy. I think she was the runt of the litter. :(

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Well, I took Izzy to the vet yesterday. They said she might have picked up a worm somewhere so they gave her some deworming stuff and told me to keep an eye on her. If wednesday comes along and there's no improvement they told me to call in so we can decide what to do next.

The little girl is shaping up to be one hell of an expensive kitten. She and her brother are totally awesome though, so it's worth every penny to make sure she's healthy.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Alright, well, Izzy just went outside the box. I've cleaned up, closed her in the bathroom with food, water, a warm place to rest, a litterbox, and her brother as company. I'm going to quickly eat my dinner before it gets any colder and then call the e-vet, since to my understanding going outside the box can be indicative of some really bad stuff. Wish me luck guys. :(

Update: I called two e-vets and they both said as long as she's drinking and staying hydrated (she is), she can wait until morning and see her normal vet. I'm gonna call and make an appointment as soon as they open tomorrow. She's stopped crying and frantically trying to escape the bathroom, and seems to be just hanging out with her brother on the makeshift bed I set up.

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
So I've been gradually getting my cats used to the idea of wearing ID. They seem to have an aversion to the outdoors (they actually run away from the sliding door when I come in the apartment), but I just want to be safe. I've gotten both of them used to wearing collars, which was an episode in itself, and I'm going to have tags made soon.

My question is about microchipping. I want to get it done, but the chip the vet recommended costs $15/month. I have a friend with two chipped dogs, one costs nothing and one is closer to $15/year. Can someone point me in the direction of a reasonably priced microchip?