Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

thehustler posted:

She has the same food, they gave us what she had been eating beforehand (what they had left) and when that runs out we'll continue getting it I guess.

She doesn't seem to show much interest in the toys at the moment. We have jingle balls and a wand toy. When she hopped up on our bed in the middle of the night she started to scratch away at the duvet. Maybe she needs a post to keep her company :)

What is the food? If it's a crappy one (or if you don't know), I'd suggest going over to the Pet Nutrition Megathread and learning about good foods, so you can switch her over.

But in the meantime, yeah, it will most likely take her a few days to adjust to the new house. If she starts to exhibit warning signs, like not eating at all, you'll want to take her into the vet. In fact, it may not be a bad idea to take her in soon anyway. Not to say your girlfriend's sister neglected her or anything, but it's not a bad idea whenever you bring a pet into the house to have them checked out by a vet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Sounds like the perfect hidey-hole for a kitty!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

BLOG KING posted:

Here's another goofy cat question, this time about laser pointers.

My cat is obsessed with them, to the point of waking me up at 3am demanding to play. I seem to remember seeing one online that controlled itself by a motor, or something. Has anyone seen this before? I can't find it.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

This one? Also available at petco.

I have it. It works well, but I have to prop it up on stuff on the table or else it directs the laser beam onto the wall, at either angle that you can open the lid to. That makes it sort of annoying, but the cats dig it.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I'm all for adding a section if someone wants to do the write-up!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
It totally depends on the cat. Some cats can be free fed their entire lives without any problem. Some start to get a little rotund earlier, and should be fed portioned meals. My cats fall into the former category; HondaCivet's fall into the latter. You basically just have to watch and see. I'd keep free feeding her unless you see that she is getting fat.

The type of food you feed matters too, so if you haven't already, make sure you head over to the Pet Nutrition Megathread and find out where your current food fits-- and then plan on getting a better food if it's not already good! :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I guess the reason I'm skeptical is because I've never in my life had a problem with overweight cats, and I've had anywhere from 3-10 cats at a time throughout my life, which is a total of somewhere around 30 cats. I'd think that with that many cats, we'd have had at least one tubby cat, but we never did. So I'm curious to hear how common cats without the "off" switch are.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
It's sucky, but some cats just don't do the lap thing. I know it bothers you that she slept on your friend, but there isn't much you can do except be very loving towards her. Also, some cats grow into it, and she's young enough that she might be one of those cats. One of my cats was never a lap cat, and then all of a sudden around 3 he decided he suddenly was.

Try to redirect her when she does something like chomp you by making a yelping sound (like a kitten would make) and then moving away from her. It's how she'd be trained if she was still with her littermates. You can also redirect her to a toy when she's bitey.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
If it is food adjustment, it should get better in another week or so. You can make it a little better by mixing some canned pumpkin (make sure it's plain and not pie filling) in with some wet food. Pumpkin is basically pure fiber and will bind those poops together nicely.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Plain yogurt works nicely to settle an upset stomach as well, but may not take care of soft poops. But you can definitely try both if you want. :D

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Awesome!!! Also, she's amazingly adorable. :3:

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I'm thinking I might get my cat(s) a drinkwell. Is it worth it to get the ~platinum~ or whatever, instead of the basic model, besides capacity (16 cups vs. 6 cups)?

I have the regular with the reservoir, and for four cats living in the desert, I fill it once a day. I also clean it out once a week, because the water intake gets clogged with hair. I hear that they did a better job with the intake on the platinum, so for me, that would be about the only reason to get the platinum over the regular.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Saharan Fiend posted:

Quick question:

I'm fostering a ~6 week old kitten, and there's just one small problem: she smells like all hell get out. Like, really really smells quite musky/I'm not sure what. We bathed her twice last night, and today she smells just like she did before the baths. It's especially bad around her face, so could it be her breath, and then it spreads as she licks herself?

Any ideas or suggestions? Anything would be appreciated.

What's she eating? Kittens can smell really godawful on bad food, even worse than adult cats, for some reason.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
How's the consistency of her poo, besides the blood? Does she seem constipated to you? If so, you can try some canned pumpkin in with her wet food; fiber will help getting her moving again. But I would be bringing her back to the vet if it were me, just to rule out any other issues. The vet will probably want a fecal sample; when you call to make the appointment, find out if they want you to bring one.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
My cats weren't abandoned early that I know of, although they were all strays, and they don't clean their own eye boogers off; the closest they come is the whole "lick the paw and swipe the face" thing. If you want to encourage them to do that, I'd say try using a warm wet washcloth, wrung out pretty well. It simulates a cat's tongue decently. Also, if they tend to be in cat piles often, they might get to cleaning each others' face. :3:

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Complete :3: overload. I might actually explode now.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I would start by making sure you're really offering her as much stimulation as possible-- she wants to go outside because she gets stimulation out there. So lots of play and interaction that wears her out should help. Can you have another cat, or is that not possible for you? A companion might help a lot.

Last resort would be seeing if you can construct some sort of cat run or something with a cat door leading to it. That's a great long-term solution, but obviously a bit of a pain in the rear end to build/execute, and less practical if you're renting.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
It may take him a few days to come out to do more than eat and piss. Give him time; this is how cats adapt to new homes. Don't try to lure him out, as you'll probably just scare him more. However, if he does come out on his own, feel free to try to block off the oven's back, so that he finds a less...hot place to hide. :D

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
That's the exact reaction my cats have to Da Bird as well.

As for the tree, the only surefire combo I've ever heard of is wiring the tree to the ceiling and using plastic and fabric ornaments only.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
My cats like to toss their toys under the door to the nursery. We keep the door closed because we're painting and wainscoting and furnituring in there, but the space under the door is just big enough for many cat toys to fit under. Every time I go in there I find a little stash by the door. :3:

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Good luck. :D

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Do you free feed him? Does he graze all day long? If so, he will probably poop more often. You should be in the habit of scooping his box daily, no matter how full or not it is. Cats have much keener senses of smell than we do; it's kind of gross for him if you're not scooping daily.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
As long as he's not getting overweight from being free fed, it's fine to leave him dry food out all the time. A good majority of cats have a working off switch; unlike dogs, they won't overeat. Some cats don't have the switch, though, so that's why you should watch him for signs of gaining weight. If he does start to gain weight, you could look into an automatic feeder that doles out a measured amount on a schedule.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
On my Armarkat tree, which has shelves that are staggered, there's around 12-15" between each shelf.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
^^^ It is in the OP...

As for the little soft pouch, yeah, spayed and neutered cats as a whole tend to have them. In fact, I don't think I've ever owned a cat who didn't have one, no matter what kind of awesome shape they were in.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
While it's sweet that he cares so much, it sounds to me like your boyfriend might be overreacting a bit. They need to be able to establish their pecking order in your house, and they can't do that if they're constantly separated. Furthermore, whether the youngest is under 2 or under 1, she's still young-- she's going to act like a kitten and there's little you can do about that. I would not be separating them unless their playing turns to actual fighting, as in, you see blood flying.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
To add to the advice you've already gotten, BlueBayou, next time, be sure to find out in advance what kind of kibble the kitty normally eats at home, so you can be sure to have that on hand. Hell, you could even ask your friend to give you kibble, since you're doing the favor of cat-sitting. :)

edit: I see you said you and your friend got the bag new from the store, but you're not sure if it's what she normally eats. Definitely make sure in the future that it is the same food she's used to, a new environment is hard enough to adapt to, let alone new food as well.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Blue Buffalo Spa Select makes a kitten variety. Blue Buffalo Wilderness is suitable for both cats and kittens. For the most part, I don't believe cats need separate types of food. I understand that there are some breed restrictions for certain puppies and dogs, but for cats, most kitten food is really not necessary.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Yep, kitten food is typically higher in protein-- but so is ultra premium cat food. :D That's why I feel confident that you don't need a separate food if you're feeding a really good one already.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Firequirks posted:

Yeah. :) We should probably write up something in the FAQ about this (and about introducing cats).

If anyone wants to take it on, I'll be happy to add it to the OP. :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Hairless cats don't guarantee anything allergy wise, anyway, because it's typically something in the cat's saliva that makes you allergic to them or their dander, or both. Russian Blue cats and Himalayan cats are often considered the most "hypoallergenic" of cat breeds, but with all cats, you really can't tell until you're around them.

I would see if your dad can stomach the idea of going to a shelter with you. If you take out cats and play with them one by one, you should be able to find one who doesn't make you react strongly.

Or, like my husband, he might just get used to it once the cat's around 24/7. And please, convince your parents that the cat needs to be indoors, not outdoors. It's just all around better that way.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

DeathFlame posted:

We've been using ARM & HAMMER Super Scoop Cat Litter (fragrance free) for our two cats for about a year now (ever since we've had them) but I was having problems with lingering smells even after cleaning and poor clumping. I'll admit that some of the lingering smell issue was probably because we have gotten lazy, and instead of every day, it became every other or every third day we cleaned the box.

WE decided to try the ARM & HAMMER Odor Alert Clumping Cat Litter to see if it was a better product (same price) but it is CRAZY dusty. Like if I clean the box, dust gets everywhere. And it's obviously affecting the cats because they SMELL like the litter (fresh dusty litter smell)

I'd like to try something else. What does PI recommend? We typically go to Petsmart in Canada for our products.

We like Tidy Cats Premium Power Blend. It's not dusty, which is a big deal for my husband's allergies.

Maximusi posted:

My kitty has diarrhea and keeps getting poop all over his fur. Is this a reason for alarm or are kittens supposed to have diarrhea? I'm feeding him a mixture of sold gold and evo, fyi. And it cant be parasites because he doesn't go outdoors and he's been dewormed..

Is this a recent diet change? Have there been any other food changes or other changes recently?

In the meantime, mix some canned pumpkin (regular, not pie filling) in with his wet food, it should help to bind his poops. But it's a good idea to try to figure out why it's happening in the first place.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
It can definitely take more than a couple of weeks for digestive issues to clear up, especially since he wasn't transitioned slowly to his new food. Try the pumpkin for a bit, then after you've gotten good solid poos, you can try weaning him off the pumpkin.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Clean the boxes every day, without fail. Just do it. Consider Cat Attract litter to encourage litter box peeing.

Don't leave cloth on the floor of any type. This is more common of an issue than you think, and it's way easier to break the humans of the habit than it is the cats.

As for the water issue, you might want to try a pet fountain, like the Drinkwell pet fountain. Most cats prefer running water over still water.

edit: I forgot to talk about the dominance thing: female cats are notoriously territorial, and you might find that no matter what you do, you won't be able to stop them from hissing and having spats with each other. However, over time, a lot of female cats will eventually accept each other, if not actually get along. Doing what you can to mitigate the pee problem should help.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 22, 2009

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
^^^ I should have pointed that out. I blame my own pregnancy mind for forgetting it. :(

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
You could try two litter boxes and/or a change in litter, but honestly? Some cats just don't bury. There's really not much that I've ever been able to find that helps it. Sorry dude. :(

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Yisan posted:

Thats alright! I'm probably going to change the litter once this runs out. It's funny because they try so hard to do so. It's not a huge deal anyways. We scoop the litter at least twice a day anyways.

anywho - feel free to throw some litter recommendations my way. The girlfriend is intent on trying the crystal litter. Any feedback on it?

We have a Cat Genie for one litter box (it uses washable plastic "litter"), but in the other box we use Tidy Cats Premium Power Blends. It's low dust and clumps really well. My husband scoops that box and has pretty bad allergies, so the low dust is important to him.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
How rapidly has he lost that much weight? Keep in mind that for an animal the size of a cat, even a larger cat, 2 lbs loss is actually pretty significant. I'd get him checked out ASAP if it was me, just to rule out illnesses.

Does he eat EVO dry only right now? If so, you can definitely try supplementing his diet with wet food. EVO makes one, as do a lot of other ultra premium brands.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
EVO is an all-stages food, for cats and kittens, so no senior formula that I know of.

I think I'd still bring him in, even if only for your own peace of mind. But I understand not wanting to sedate him either. One of my cats pees all over himself in fear every time we go to the vet (normally he's completely fearless), so I know what it's like to have a troubled cat. :(

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
God, yeah, that would make me pretty loathe to stay with a vet too, especially if I wasn't all "OMG THIS IS THE BEST VET EVER." Which is exactly how I feel about my current vet, but luckily her techs are not complete morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Zwille posted:

It's what she's been getting all the time, the previous owner told me specifically to only give her that and the occasional drop of yoghurt or butter, which I gave her in addition to the taurin paste which I asked the vet about and who greenlighted it (I've just looked at the packaging and it actually has 1% of calcium)... have I/the previous owner/the vet hosed up?

Now the cat is in a different room in another corner, barely breathing.

Not being a vet, I can't comment on the food, other than saying that it sounds really weird to me and too much effort to go through when you could be feeding her a can of wet food, but let me tell you this: If my cat was barely breathing, I'd be at a vet so fast my head, and hers, would spin. WTF, dude?