Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Very helpful thread, but I'm still at a loss on how best to handle a situation with a relative's cat. Fluff (name changed to protect the guilty) absolutely refuses to poop in the litter box. This has been going on with varying degrees of severity ever since he entered the home several months ago. (He's around 6-7 mos. now, not neutered.)

Fluff's usual MO is to pee in one of three boxes we have set up for two cats and use the tiled floor surrounding the litter for his number twos. The following has been tried:

- Cleaning up the poop with Nature's Miracle to take the smell off the floor.

- Using different kinds of litter, including Cat Attract.

- Cleaning the box daily.

- Following him, watching for odd, pre-poop behavior and then putting him in the box. (This worked once, when he voluntarily went in the box shortly thereafter, and never again.)

- Checking his stool at the vet's for any signs of illness.

If he hated the litter or the set-up, I don't see why he'd continue peeing properly. The only significant thing left to try is isolation in a spare bathroom, but we're reluctant to do that since he's such a sociable, wonderful cat otherwise. Still, this is wearing thin.

Male cats often change their behavior when they are neutered. He really should be neutered, though, even if it doesn't end up changing his pooping habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

RheaConfused posted:

Just remember, as with any food change, that if your kitties don't like wet as much as dry to be careful. I hate to be all :siren:omg paranoid about hepatic lipidosis:siren: again, but this is the exact scenario I was in when my cat got it. She was a fatty and we switched our cats to wet food (at the same time as adding a young #3 to our mix who gobbled) so that she could lose weight. And yeah, she lost weight. A lot. :cry: And we didn't know any better. So be careful, some cats will not eat wet.

On that note, what CB says is totally correct. Poor old fatty liver survivor is 7 (or 8?) and has the worst health of all our 3. Urinary issues top the list.

This is my big worry. Only one of my four cats will eat an appreciable amount of wet food. The other three will eat maybe 2 tablespoons. This is even if they haven't had any food since the evening before. They're just not that into it. Of course, it may turn out that they will eat more if they have no choice, but I completely admit that I am scared to try.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

RheaConfused posted:

My own experience was that if my cats were going to eat the wet food at all they would sit down and eat it immediately. If not, they just sort of licked it and wandered away. If they wouldn't eat it with your first try, they are probably just not interested. A lot of cats who come from shelters are that way, because they only get dry in shelters.

That's exactly how it is here, too. The one cat who likes wet food a lot gets a field day many days, as the other three take a cursory lick or bite or two, and then wander off (sometimes to the dry food bowls and wait for me to fill them). Then the little one pigs out and eats all the wet food, and doesn't eat any dry until the evening. They also all drink very well from the water fountain.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
It could be that he's picking up on the scent of other cats outside-- have there been any around that you've seen or heard lately? My cats get the twitchy tail and ears thing when there's a STRANGER!!!! in the backyard.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Peach posted:

If a kitten doesn't like specific type of a litter, will they use it at all? Kitten's getting WORSE with peeing on my blankets. She went to the vet yesterday, UTI ruled out, they suggested a different litter.

While I'm out during the day she leaves my bedding alone though, she is fine using one of her two boxes. There's no accidents during the day/evening but when I get into bed she'll jump up and pee on my duvet. It's degenerated to this point after having accidents during the night - I shut her out of my room after I find her peeing on my bed though and she will then poop outside my door.. Lovely. I've tried four different litter types, but I'm not convinced she dislikes the original litter when she has used it just fine even when I'm not there and she's got full access to my bedroom.

Bedding is stripped and washed on hot immediately after the offenses occur, and she is played with LOTS until she's curled up in my arms before bed time. I don't know what her beef is with my blankets. I had to get up at 6 this morning because she saved her morning pee this morning until she could get back on my bed and now I have no more blankets. :(

If you haven't tried Cat Attract litter yet, do that before anything else.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
If it's easier to get your hands on the litter additive, it can be added to any litter, and is probably cheaper.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

HandsomeBen posted:

rear end dragging is a sign of worms isn't it? I came home to Shadow making a nice skid mark in my living room today.

Generally, yes, you should get him checked out to make sure it's not worms. It can be other things, though-- one of my cats does it after he take a pretty noxious poo poo, like he can't handle the idea of cleaning his rear end after that (and I don't really blame him, even if I hate the rear end-drag).

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Peach posted:

First time I bought out 'da bird' for my kitten she would not shut the gently caress up. I just sat on the couch and held the rod out so the feathers dangled and she circled it, mewing. If I moved it around, she followed and continued her circles. She just would NOT stop looking at it.. even after she pooped, she'd lick her butt once or twice then stare at da bird for a good 10 seconds before resuming her cleaning. I tried putting it away thinking maybe it creeped her out but she stopped cleaning altogether and ran and pounced on it, purring loudly and rubbing her cheek against the feathers. I don't even know.

Da Bird is a big loving hit here too, to the point that it has to live in a closet or my one cat will go out of her mind trying to play with it literally nonstop. And she growls if the other cats try to play with it.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Could just be that she's getting fat. :3: If she's still eating kitten food and/or is free-fed, talk to the vet about scheduled feedings, using all stages food, etc.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
To add to the "drop into the back of mouth and hold shut" advice, my vet said to rub their throat in a downward motion while holding the mouth shut to encourage swallowing. Always works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
AquarianFire, my anecdote is that the more I showered love on my cats, the more they showed me physical affection back. I have four, all of whom were taken in as tiny kitten strays, so none of them had a lot of mama time. That's just my experience, though.