Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm not sure how I could do something like that. We have baby gates and such, (and I can block the area above the gate) but there's no reason for them to hang out near the door for more than a couple minutes to eat. I can't figure out how to 'force' some kind of ongoing exposure/presence where they have to be able to see each other and yet can't get in a fight. If I put a gate in a room of a door, the other will just wander off.

I would need like, a small room with a giant screen down the middle. How the hell would I do something like that? Or two small rooms with a connecting door that I could put a screen/gate in. I can't imagine most houses would have something like that.

Putting one of them in a pen of some kind in a room with the other, maybe? I'd have to buy some large expensive crate and whoever is in the crate would probably be miserable.

tldr: It feels like more of an incompatible personality issue than a introductions issue, it would seem. He wants to roughhouse (it's definitely play behavior) and she absolutely does not. If he can't get at her to tussle, then fine. But the second he can reach her if he's in an excited mood, it's a disaster. I don't know how long it's going to take him to learn not to attack her, if he ever does. Her hissing/swatting/screeching only seems to dissuade him momentarily, he still wants to play 20-30 seconds later. And the advice to 'play with him to tire him out' is ridiculous. I play with him a lot but really it just riles him up. Even if I run him around like a maniac for 45+ minutes and he seems tired out, if I then let them in the same room he bounces back in like 5-10 minutes and wants to have a go at her.

Ah sorry yeah, in my case we put up a little sticky screen door for pets where you could unzip and rezip it between two rooms. So they could see each other and play paws and stuff but if someone got too worried they could just run away and not be followed

Fwiw we tried the crate idea and it's one of my biggest regrets for our cat introductions because it meant the cat outside could be super hissy and growl and stuff, and the cat inside was safe but couldn't disengage and get away

I would really recommend against it, I feel like it didn't really help and just stressed the little guy out (though it turned out ok and he ended up adoring her until she passed a year later, rip socks)

Edit: oh actually come to think of it we had a super similar thing after socks passed and we got Pavarotti. Introductions went super great and they were fine together, but every once and awhile when pav was excited he would chase Sage down and try to play too rough. We were super worried because sage would make some terrible hisses and growls and they would go on insane chases around the rooms with Pav cornering sage. We broke up the really bad wrestles and eventually I guess they negotiated it out, because it's almost entirely stopped now.

It still happens sometimes though, just last week there was a crazy loud cat wrestle and hissing and poor Sage went and hid under the bed after we got the chasing to slow down but they were back to normal an hour later. So it honestly might just require a little more time but I know how worrying it is. We were super worried the first little while we would let them stay together without being supervised at night

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

This is making me significantly more wary of adopting two cats instead of just one. :ohdear:

Look for a bonded pair if you can! I've heard it's so much harder to adopt a bonded pair together and it always seems so sad for them to get broken up

Alternatively I'm pretty sure if you adopt them as kittens you'll have a super easy time with it, though I guess it's still possible that as they grow up they may not like each other.

And yeah, not eating (especially not eating the treat food) would mean immediate vet visit for me if you can swing it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Got it, I'll be taking her this morning! Thanks for the advice, fingers crossed it's nothing big!

I wonder if you could give her the food somewhere more quiet or something too?

Has she been acting differently at all other than the lack of appetite? I ask because when we took Pavarotti to the vet in december for his annual check up + vaccines he got like 3 of them at once or something. He was definitely a little creaky the next day (because I'm sure he was crazy sore) and at first he wouldn't eat his food so I was really worried. But it turned out that the bowl was just too low for the poor guy cause he was so sore.

We put his food bowl on a little riser for the day and he munched away (albeit a little slower than normal since I'm sure getting that many vaccines at once made him feel pretty icky).

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rescue Toaster posted:

This sounds pretty familiar. They will generally sleep/ignore each other, can eat near each other (treats or wet food, he eats dry food too fast for us to feed them that together), etc... and there's only an occasional hiss and slowly backing off. But it's specifically his behavior wanting to play with her, starting with running directly at her or jumping on her from behind that kicks things off.

fwiw this was exactly the behavior we saw as well. Even playing was fine so long as it went slow and wasn't too rough, but once and awhile Pavarotti would get too excited and run over and full on tackle Sage, or Sage would push him a little too hard in a wrestle and Pavarotti would decide to show Sage how to really wrestle and it would get pretty intense.

In our case, they did work it out. It's pretty funny watching them because Pavarotti has seemingly learned how to play better so they do the world's slowest wrestling, and when there's a chase generally it's they chase each other to one end, then there's a pause, then they swap roles and chase back the way they came. Periodically Pavarotti will get a little too intense for our dumb orange boy and there's some hissing and bad cat noises but it usually ends there. The one a few weeks back was a bit of an exception, and once they both calmed down it was totally fine again.

Always hard to say though, but it's definitely worth a little more time I think so long as no one is really getting hurt

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Holy poo poo thanks for your advice, they got my girl into surgery ASAP because she swallowed something metal. They said it's luckily just chilling in her stomach and not her intestines so she should be out tonight or tomorrow! I'm worried as hell but they're working on her right now so I'm sitting tight

So glad you were able to get her in right away! As soon as you mentioned eating changes like that my first thought was get to a vet ASAP and thank goodness you did!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Thank you all again SO MUCH, I'm so glad I got her checked out!! She's back home now and zonked out but perfectly happy and healing great :3: everyone say Hi to the bravest little warrior

Awwww, so glad she's back home and healthy! :3:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Our scaredy boy uses the litter robot just fine, but he also learned to watch it rotating from our senior girl that he grew up with so maybe that helped?

Out of curiosity, did the scaredy cat use it if you left it off? Maybe getting used to it not moving and just manually running it when they're not around would help?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Make sure they get enough water and don’t get too much salt in their diet.

Sincerely,

A kidney stone sufferer.

:same: and yeah

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

Currently thinks its empty litter storage is 70% full.
In conclusion: it's a stupid piece of crap and I'm sorry I bought it :(

I'm sure you've probably already done this but just in case, have you done a hard reset? And if so, have you pulled it apart and cleaned the sensors off?

I used to have that problem all the time and it fixed it for me. Though, I have the previous one where the only network thing it does is let me know when it's full, so maybe there's just less stuff to fail

If there's a sensor problem I think they're super easy to replace and I've heard they'll send you one at least?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The only time my litter robot smells bad is when someone has just taken a dump and didn't bury it (which is a constant issue in my house...) or if it's full. I do have it in a closet, but that's where my litterboxes always went before we had one, and they always smelled worse.

This happens with one of our cats too. He's been using the litter robot since he was an older kitten, so I think he just got lazy

Though thankfully it's not all the time!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Our cat never really cared overly much about the fire alarm tests when we lived in an apartment honestly. We also lived at the corner of a super busy intersection with a police station and fire station nearby though so she was pretty used to sirens in general?

She definitely would've hated having to stay in a carrier for a long time a LOT more than a loud noise for ten minutes or whatever, though I understand wanting to make it less stressful!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

gloom posted:

I need to move our two cats from WI to GA at the end of April and I’m extremely worried about it. They seem to do ok on car rides up to 2.5 hours to stay with my partner’s parents. As soon as they realize they aren’t going to the vet they settle down :v: But this is like a 15 hour drive so it’s way harder to picture.

I was leaning toward flying with them, possibly with sedation. We got a couple of under seat carriers and the cats will fit in them (no way are they going in the hold). But in December Merlin had an allergic reaction to one of his vaccination updates, there were complications and he almost died, so we’re not enthusiastic about drugging him. Can this work without sedation? I don’t know what we’re going to do yet.

Really appreciate the stories shared so far and would love to get more.

We drove a cat like.. 12 hours in a day and it was fine. I mean, she didn't really like it but she had a cozy blanket and a comfy carrier. At rest stops we let her out of the carrier with her litter and food and water so she could stretch her legs and peek out the windows at people and stuff

We had to do it for a few days though, so she really did NOT like the carrier after that. But other than that she was totally fine

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Can confirm that our cats love greenies, though they get excited for any sort of treat

or cheese, or once I let them taste a tiny little bit of whip cream and now they're obsessed.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I can't recommend a top loading carrier enough for difficult cats, though it's still a tricky job cause they just try to jump out instantly

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

I use a top loader for the Good Child, who believes in non-violent protest only and will allow me to put her in it on her back and then gently push her head down after she rights herself while I zip it up.

I genuinely believe that the Less Good Child thinks her life is genuinely in danger when I try to get her in a carrier, she acts like she is fighting for her life. She is for sure an outlier though.

When I was a kid one of our cats was running around my dad's office, slipped and got her leg stuck between the desk and the wall and hurt herself. She was always good about going to the vet and they loved her, but since she had to go to the vet and was in a lot of pain it was like a totally different experience from then on out

She would absolutely fight and hiss and attack at the vet's office because she was absolutely terrified of it. Eventually my parents gave up on it and the vet was able to do a home visit. She was perfectly fine there being poked and prodded and whatever. It was just the physical vet's office itself that provoked the response, poor girl

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've got a very sad foster cat right now. She's an older cat whose elderly owner died, and was saved before their next of kin put her down. She's so, SO scared and not getting any better. Every time someone comes in the room, she alternates between meows and hissing, and may swipe if anyone gets close - not as viciously as some other cats, but enough to draw blood. She'll generally hold off on that if you're giving her food, and my wife has actually been able to get her to accept pets, but she just keeps regressing back into fear. She also keeps peeing on the bed in the guest/cat room she's in (we always have waterproof covers thankfully).

The saddest part is that you can tell she still wants affection. She'll actually play with toys, and will roll around like a happy cat wanting pets, but every other moment she'll shift back to hissing and scratching. I know we should spend more time with her to socialize her better, but it's hard when you don't know when she might strike out at you.

I hope she just needs time - we currently have another foster who came to us pregnant and practically feral, and after her babies were adopted out and she had some dental work done, she magically turned into the sweetest cuddlebug ever. But this new one... I don't know, she's just not making any progress, and I'm not sure what to do for her :(

Does she settle down after more time in the room if you're not approaching her or anything?

Could you maybe just quietly read a book with her or something? That way she can approach you on her terms and all. It worked well for a really skittish cat we had when I was a kid, and it worked super great for when we brought Pavarotti home with us after we adopted him where he would hiss and swipe at me if I got close after an unfortunate having to pick him up incident when he was nervous

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Our cats found a mouse in our ancient house. And despite one of them having been a stray for a few years before we got him, they both just followed it around trying to sniff at it while the poor thing hid in terror until we could actually catch it and get it outside

just the worst mousers

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I remember people have talked about it in the thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for timed feeders? Preferably something that would let me do more frequent smaller feedings

Pavarotti is a very sweet boy, but he's super food motivated and very insistent that he gets his food exactly when he's supposed to. Which wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that he constantly wants it like at least 30 minutes early. He gets kind of bratty in order to get the max amount of attention, like for example he will try and find cords near us to chew on so that we pay attention to him and stuff like that.

He's a fantastic alarm clock, but the destructive part isn't great. Since he eats his food portion right away he doesn't really need the protected feeder necessarily, was thinking we could put him on an automatic portion feeder so he doesn't feel like he needs to get our attention an hour before food o'clock

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I ended up getting the Wi-Fi auto feeder mentioned up thread. It worked so far for Pav's first feeding, but it really confuses Sage since usually they get their food at the exact same time

For whatever reason though it refuses to do the firmware update, the connection seems a little unstable but good enough to send notifications and do scheduling, etc :shrug:

I'm using a combined band router though and it's technically only 2.4 ghz so that might be causing it. Honestly as long as it's stable and does the feeding I'm ok with it I suppose! I might fiddle around with it a little more

Edit: got the petlibro air wifi

Edit rather than reply to myself: so I was actually able to get it to update just fine by pairing it to my phone's hotspot and leaving my phone right beside it. I'm guessing it's due to the way my router does the band mixing or something? Either way so far so good

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 12, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:hellyeah: congrats! She's adorable

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Cats will have preferences, you can get toys made of felt, ones made from animal fur, and the plastic stuff sold at chain pet stores. Etsy is a pretty good place to look for variety.

What we did was buy a variety when our cats were kittens and stored them in a shallow box out in the open. Occasionally they'd select a toy and bat it around the house and we'd find it under a couch or something. Eventually we noticed a pattern and used that to figure out what they like.

Sometimes kitties misread the instructions though.

Our cats go absolutely bonkers for these toys

Link is here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQCCNJL but they're kind of expensive because the cats absolutely destroy them as soon as they get their claws on them and even in a big pack it's a couple bucks each. So man if anyone's got a cheaper version I'd appreciate it lol

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Definitely try giving it a reset maybe and going as slow as they need, the two times we've done it, it definitely seems more like a marathon than a race

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I can't speak for anyone else, and we probably took it way slower than was required, but we took probably like 2+ weeks slowly increasing feeding proximity then letting them slowly see each other more through a barrier; our last step was swapping their territory and letting them hang out near the divider

Even then there was still some weirdness at first until they worked it out. We were just extra cautious and wanted to make sure everyone was as comfortable as possible. Beyond that it took us a while to let them stay out alone by themselves over night

Edit: actually come to think of it, it might've been closer to 3? We knew it was time to give them access to each other more when they were chilling on opposite sides of the barrier and playing paws together, plus touching noses through the stick on screen door

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 20, 2024

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

This is going to sound very silly, but we just sorta scratched it with our fingers to make the noise which seemed to make our kitten wanna scratch it, then we'd give him a treat to reinforce it

He did learn to scratch his scratcher a very funny way though. He sticks his little nose against it while he scratches and it's very cute

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

literally as i read your guy's posts, he was scratching at my hall carpet. so i did partially waste money on the cardboard scratcher, at least he loves the ball in the tunnel lol

that's classic cat all over. My cats basically ONLY go for the cardboard scratchers, and weirdly my wife's luggage??

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The automated feeder we ended up getting has been working great

Unfortunately, it has not solved the "cat wants me to get up every morning at 7 AM" issue really. He goes down and gets the food and he knows where his food comes from, he just runs back upstairs immediately after to keep working on getting me out of bed.

It's pretty funny though because I don't have to STAY up or anything. As long as I get up and head downstairs with him, even if it's just for a couple minutes, he seems totally satisfied with that. Then if I go back upstairs and go to bed he'll just kind of come back up awhile later for snuggles and to fall asleep. He just apparently needs me to come down the stairs with him at the right time in order to be satisfied that he's performed his alarm clock duties admirably

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

If you go back to ignoring, the goal is for him to see the machine as the source, not you, and then not wake you up, which I understood as the problem.

I've been doing my best, but it's pretty tough! He's a very loud boy and knows that nibbling cords or scratching things will get our attention better than anything else

The worst part is he seems to assume that "sun up" means "human up" because now he's starting to get antsy around like.. quarter to 6 am. Hopefully he'll understand that me being up has nothing to do with him getting his food soon.

It doesn't help that we have to use a manual feeder for the other guy though I think? But he gets spooked by the noise running and it's pretty likely that his food motivated brother/alarm clock would run over and steal his food

Khizan posted:

I've always been super lucky in that all my cats have responded well to free feeding. All I do is keep the bowl full of dry food and they eat responsibly enough to maintain a decent weight.

All of my other cats have been like this, so it's a bit of a new problem for us. He's actually happy as a clam if he gets a full cup of food basically, and he settles in to just grazing once he's sure it's not going anywhere. Unfortunately that was too much food :sigh:

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

One of our boys, aptly named pavarotti, talks CONSTANTLY, especially when he wants food

The other barely meows at all, except when he goes into the downstairs bathroom where he'll just sit in there and meow super loudly until someone comes. I think he just likes the acoustics maybe