Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Abbeh posted:

WHEN DO THEY STOP BEING ASSHOLES!!?? :argh:

Around a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A cat in heat is one of the loudest most annoying thing in the world. She might still be a loud cat, but I would get her fixed first off and see if it's that.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does she look round in the belly? Are you in a situation to keep her? I would have her looked at no matter what. Also congrats :)

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was actually thinking I wouldn't be overly shocked if she was pregnant. I don't know why. Either way good on you for not ignoring her.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I worry about my cats being lonely when I'm gone, but it's more me projecting I think. Cats behave differently and the bigger concern is having some one pop in and make sure he doesn't knock his water over or poop in your shoes because the he was up to his knees in pooh in the litter box.
If he wants lovins from that person that's awesome too, but I know my cats hide from anyone who comes by. This cat seems a lot more social though. When I petsit my one friends cat she normally meows at me to sit by her while she eats, then she bites me, just hard enough to remind me she still hates me. I sat one orange cat that loved going in the car, and would have loved to go with you.
I realize I just wrote a big rear end paragraph that says every cat is different, I'm sorry. If it were me, I would just have some one check in every day (or so)because most cats hate the car and new places. You will be home before you know it!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Paper Lantern posted:

Is this normal kitten behaviour?

The only way to really tell is to see a picture.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
She was super cute! When you go to pick out your next cat ask them about cats that get along with other cats if you plan to get a second cat down the road. But cats can be fine on their own also, especially adult cats. I think in your case with you there so much you don't have to worry at all about your new kitty being bored or lonely. post pics when you get him or her. Of course if you can talk your parents into it, 2 are better than one :)

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 15, 2010

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Abbeh posted:

Oh that lifter thing can go to hell. You need to use clumping litter for it to work, but that stuff turns into cement in the holes and it never gets fully cleaned. Nothing's grosser than soaking a dirty litter box in your own tub :gonk:

Indeed! I gave one of those a try and it was crap. More on topic of this situation my friend got a wonderful adult cat who was adopted out on the stipulation that she be the only animal in the house. She is an amazing low maintenance cat and they love each other to death.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Someone posted a story about qtips that has haunted me. It was something like, "My cat used to love playing with qtips and would carry them around and I thought it was cute so I let her. Then I came home to find her lying dead with a qtip in a pile of puke next to her."

So no, they can choke on those. My rule of thumb is that they shouldn't play with anything except cat toys and easily digestible things like important papers and my furniture.

I remember that cause I am ultra paranoid about q tips. I still let them play with milk jug rings though :iiam:

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Super cute markings, congrats!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Engineer Lenk posted:

Top entry box (That's how mine is set up, a hole in the top, not in the side).

http://www.petco.com/product/14467/Clevercat-Top-Entry-Litterbox.aspx
I have two of these also and they are awesome. I got them mostly to keep the cats from kicking litter every where. have been through a lot of cat boxes. I still have one round uncovered in the basement but these are the tits.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

second best sponge posted:

I might stick it out for a few more weeks and give them up to another family. These cats are really trying my patients. I significantly like one much much more than the other. I think that makes me a bad cat owner.

A lot of these problems are from them being too young. Litter box issues are way more likely in 5 week old kittens because they just don't know what the gently caress. Also with kittens separated that early your most likely looking at some parasites because of not having been dewormed yet. Personally I won't ever put myself through dealing with a kitten or puppy again because I recognize I'm not really patient, getting an animal too young to be apart from it's mom just adds to the clusterfuck. The good news is they grow up.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think those are awesome socks. Cats are really hard to train, unless it's something you don't want them to do, in which case you only have to give in once. Stop feeding them when you wake up. Don't ever give in. Don't feed them when they are screaming at you at all. move their feeding times so you are feeding them as close to when you go to bed and as late when you get up as possible. Don't let them see you put the food out if they won't let you be in the kitchen, you can try an auto feeder or just put them in another room then put the food down and then let them out. It will take a lot of time and patience! My cat licks the wall next to my face and digs her way into the blanket also, she is pretty firm about when I should get up! A lot of PI goons have been through this so they might have better strategies.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is it just a regular cardboard scratcher?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

They also really really hate baths. :saddowns:

They aren't that odd, you just hear more about the issues people need help with. Congrats on your great kitties! You really shouldn't need to bathe them though, that might help with that.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
@ Purple slug my next cat is going to be deaf, so I can vacuum her.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvWGnXkcaKI
@ mr wookums, I agree with every one, my cats aren't thrilled with being picked up. All cuddles are on their terms.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Here's some general tips on handling feral kittens, if one is more outgoing it tends to make things easier in my experience.
http://www.feralfelines.net/fs_SocializingKittens.htm
The more you do now, the easier things will be. You can't go too fast but you do want them to know you aren't going to eat them. They will come around! with adult cats who haven't been picked up a lot they just don't really know what the gently caress, but if you get them used to it as kittens they don't mind, this is kinda true of anything like nail trims ear cleaning not clawing the sofa etc.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think the handling info was good, but I personally wouldn't separate them. Cats tend to teach each other a lot. Don't sweat that.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HondaCivet posted:

Also, if you are sure that you only ever want a single cat, ask at the shelter about cats that want/need to be in an otherwise cat-free home. Some of them just don't like other cats, some have medical issues that make having other cats around a problem, but they still need homes.

This is excellent advice. There really is no shortage of types of cats and a good shelter should be able to match you up with the perfect one. Take your time and try to go on a weekday afternoon rather than a weekend if possible so it's not busy.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
When my kitty needed antibiotics we had to wait a week to start them because my vet was worried about them making her puke and she was already having problems keeping food down (constipation). So my 2 cents is yeah antibiotics make cats puke, However sounds like a call to the vet is a good idea. Good luck! Diesel is the perfect name.
*posted at the same time as you. Glad you are getting some food in her

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is she pooping at all?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why are you planning on not taking the mom cat in at the same time? If you plan on taking her in the next week anyway scaring her away from the kittens and separating them seems like it might be counterproductive. Feeding and eliminating wise it will be tons easier with a food and bath factory, plus she won't be making a new litter in that week. It's fantastic that you are doing this and I hope it goes great.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My tuxedo digs like crazy. I always ask her if she's making me a cake. Some cats are just diggers I think.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have the drinkwell platinum and the big capacity isn't always a plus because it's really heavy. It needs cleaned more than it needs filled and it's a pain to lift it and get it to the sink. A very minor thing but I often put it off because I know I'm going to get soaked. I love it and recommend it and have no problem with cat acne, but all things being equal I wouldn't get it just for capacity.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Quack posted:

I never thought of this but now I'm tempted by the idea to make my own. Now I just have a ton of other questions like what kind of small pump? (fishtank, decorative table top) where does one get such a thing? Fish supply store / online?

This was posted in another thread and I bookmarked it. I don't remember who posted it to credit them, but this site is tits.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Filtered-Pet-Watering-Bowl/

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was under the impression they don't do vaccinations between the shoulder blades any more. I could be completely wrong.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine-associated_sarcoma
A small lump on the vaccination site is not uncommon and nothing to worry about though, just palpitate it and keep an eye on it and see if it grows and is mobile.
http://www.avma.org/vafstf/ownbroch.asp

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 6, 2010

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shebrew posted:

Alright, switched to tomorrow at 1:45. Poor kitty :(

I was just at the vet again with an eye infection. I feel for you.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Both of my cats had eye infections when I got them. One was a semi-feral. About a week in I wondered why out of thousands of cats did I get sick ones, much less one who apparently hated me. Ghost is everything to me now. As unhealthy as that is, she is probably the most important thing in my life, I have no regrets, but I do have frustrations and man do I understand thinking I got in over my head.
With her drat eyes, the vet yesterday said with eye herpes they normally break out less as the cat gets older, so that's something to look forward to!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I bought this http://www.amazon.com/Vet-Solutions-Viralys-L-Lysine-Powder/dp/B0013LLHW0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
for my sweet herpes head. I thought I was done with her eye infections, but alas I am not. She is an amazingly hard to medicate cat and normally knows if I hide anything in her food and won't ever touch that type of food again, but she actually doesn't know when I mix this powder in. Stress seems to bring on her pink eye and the doctor thinks this helps. I still have to do the eye cream also though, but anything that helps.
Good Luck.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have a top entry enclosed box,it's dark blue. I think you just have to be extra careful that it is ultra clean because smells are more trapped in there. Kitty noses are so much more sensitive they are not going to want to be enclosed in a poo poo box. (not directed at you) I don't think my cats mind the opacity of the box.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have 2 females I adopted as adults. I don't have cat piles, but they get on.It's all anecdotal but it has worked for me, with these specific cats.
This situation sucks so hard for you and I'm so sorry. I can only imagine how tough this is to be going through and having to make the decision to rehome is always hard. My thoughts are with you.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad they are both happy! I know you will miss Matilda, but they sound happier,plus you will have noticeably less stress without them fighting.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Congrats!It sounds like you are on the right track already!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
vaginadeathgrip. if she's a long hair you might have her hinder trimmed up. It can make a world of difference.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That is awful and I'm so sorry. You should call the shelter and make them aware so they can take action. I'm really sorry.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Crooked Booty posted:

The only thing I can think of other than what you listed is dental x-rays. Some vets don't do them by default, and they should. Cats are prone to a certain type of dental disease called FORLs that frequently aren't visible without x-rays until they get really horrible and painful, so dental x-rays can end up saving you from another dental in the future.

If your vet doesn't offer x-rays is it something you would switch for? I can't find an all cat vet around here, but there is a VCA animal hospital, they offer dental x rays. @pandaid $700 is cheaper than I have ever gotten but that's just my experience.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was just at the supermarket and they had a giant end cap of canned pumpkin, it says it's good until 2013. This is the time to stock up if anyone is interested, I assume every one is getting it in about now.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think some places only have it seasonally, at least regionally.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deltron 3030 posted:

So uh... I'm just curious how it can be good for both diarrhea AND constipation since those are pretty much opposite situations.

Also cats rule, I've been looking forward to getting my own cat for an outrageously long time and finally got one about 12 days ago. Things have gone way better than I could have ever imagined. I seriously got the perfect cat or something, sorry everyone for depriving you all of the perfect one, 2nd or 3rd best cat still isn't too bad though.

There is an rear end for every seat, congrats on finding your perfect cat. As to the pumpkin I think it's like if you eat brown rice every day your poops are nice, the link says it way better good find!

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That is more than enough room. They have significantly less at a shelter. You can make the tiniest apartment work by giving them vertical space with lots of things to get up on like bookcases and cat trees if possible.