Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
Congrats!I'm sure they went over this with you, I'm copying this just on the remote chance you haven't seen it
"The environment of a cat with feline parvo should be considered infected. Food dishes, toys, cages, floors, and other items must be disinfected with bleach and water. Use half a cup of bleach to one gallon of water. Bedding and soft items should be washed in hot water."
Parvo sucks so hard.
What is his name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

invalid posted:

No name yet. Trying to decide if naming him Sully is disrespectful or not.

If that's what you want to call him, go for it. It's honoring Sully 1. He's adorable. As for how long he's going to be climbing on you and sucking on your clothes, it's been a loooong time since I had a kitten around, so some one else might have a better answer for that.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Foxy posted:

1.) Health. Most of the cats we're looking at are over 5 years old and some have dental issues. The shelter will give us 2 years of discounted vet care, so money isn't a worry, nor is time invested in care, but how do I acclimate an adult cat to brushing its teeth without using treats and getting the teeth more dirty? Are there good dental health treats out there?

And yes, I will post a veritable Pakistan-sized flood of pictures.

I wound up with a relatively younger cat with dental issues, so you just never know.
Some one posted this recently
http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/Brushing-Your-Cats-Teeth/Entire-Video to get cats used to brushing teeth, I haven't tried it yet, but it looks worth a shot.
I love Tuxedos, If you go with one you should start a tux picture thread. I'm sure some one with more experience than me will answer your other questions, good luck who ever you pick!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You put the food in the carrier and left it in a quiet place so far?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Try to talk her into 2.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
BeefofAges is your cat still using the litterbox? If she has a hairball or other blockage and isn't pooing their may be no room in her stomach for new food. It could be eating to fast also, if her system is processing food.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kerfuffle posted:

:psyduck: That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. I guess you could ask your vet what they think about it, but man I never thought human birth control could really be safely used on cats for..anything.

that's so interesting. I'm really curious how they discovered it.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have random water bowls all around. I have one in the tub, one on the basement steps, a drinkwell, and a gravity fountain and a glass bowl in the kitchen. They seem to prefer different ones at different times, I have no idea why they want one over the other, and the tub one is a pain in the rear end because I have to remember to refill it after showers when I'm all groggy. It's absolute overkill and I wouldn't do it if my place were smaller.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Kitchen floor might be cold.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully him getting well enough and then fixed will make a huge difference. I wouldn't be surprised if that's it (I hope) And when he comes back all healthy and nutless he goes where he should.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My cat chirps at birds outside, like a cricket or something. It kind of freaked me out first time I heard it, it wasn't in the realm of noises I expected a cat to make.
Dogs can go mental over pointers but cats usually don't. What you can do is land it on a treat at the end of a play session so they catch something. (In my internet opinion)
beaten by Kerfuffle!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You may get contrary advice, but I would let her sit there.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Eggplant Wizard hit everything just about perfect. Just wanted to add it can be a much slower process than you might expect depending on the cat. It took months with my tuxedo. The small separate room really helped, and napping in there seemed to help, as she would get brave enough to come out and sniff me on her own when I was asleep. She would also only eat and eliminate at night alone when it was quiet. She is still terrified of company and loud noises(garbage trucks,storms), but she is a huge cuddlebug every other minute of the day and normally within arms reach. Good luck!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I misread things! She sounds much more social than I thought! she is really a lovely cat.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
^My cats dissolving stitches still haven't dissolved, the vet said I could just snip them out but I'm nervous to get near her with scissors because she's a spaz. I would double check with the vet what type they are, but it's probably OK to just snip them if everything is all closed up. Check first!

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It took a long time for my tuxedo to figure out to play. And almost a year for us to bond, and 6 months for her to stop hissing at me randomly. There was a point in there I considered re-homing her because I thought she was going to hate me forever. I was very wrong, I'm very glad I didn't because she is saving me money on heating by being such an awesome snuggle bug. It just took more time then I expected. I think it's normal to wonder if you got in over your head, but it takes time.
As to the food, just feed them in separate rooms,keep your big boy separate until she has finished hers.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you have wood floors you might want to put some felt or contact paper over the bottom screws so they don't scratch your floors. I love mine.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
He's adorable! Good luck with everything he sounds perfect.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ha, that's what me and my cats are doing also. Poor Bill.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

capslocksaurus posted:

Hey guys! :shobon:
I have a really small question, but I figure I should provide a little info on my cat anyway--Orso is a 7 months old male of a litter of six (!!!) that we had to keep since there are no shelters in the area. Since they're so many, they're outdoors/indoors cats, and as I'm sure you know better than me that's a lovely way for a cat to get every single possible parasite on itself :(
I'm pretty sure that he has ear mites; he scratches inside his ear a lot, keeps it flat and won't let me check. He seems to have scratched too hard as there's a bit of blood, but I didn't manage to see much. This has been going on for a couple days and I plan on taking him to the vet ASAP, but what I wanted to know is, how infective are ear mites? Everyone else is fine as far as I can tell, but I really really don't want to risk it.

Here's a picture of the whole team, with a bonus mid-yawn silly face :) Orso is the one at the top!

Click here for the full 980x735 image.

Ear mites are virile and contagious and can be hard to beat, especially if they are passing them around, if you're getting sores on the back of the ear he might have 'em pretty bad but you want to rule out yeast infections and stuff like that. Your vet might be willing to give you prescriptions for every one if you have a long standing relationship with him and he has seen every one recently but I don't know. Wow! What a big family! I hope you were able to get all of them altered so you don't get buried alive in cats! Right now it looks like a lovely pile! Good luck getting the mites under control.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have 2 cats. I have 2 litter boxes in my "office" which is just a spare room with football cards and a desk and one in the basement. The rule of thumb is one for each cat plus an extra but people have gotten on with two cats sharing one or one per cat it really depends on your cats.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Put a litter box in the house with some natures miracle in it for the first time so the cat has some where to go when he is inside.You can switch to something cheaper once they get the hang of it. Scoop it every day. Clean all the spots he went with Natures miracle. The cat can smell things you can't and will return to the same place to eliminate. With most cats you can just drop them in the box and they figure it out. It sounds like you already realized cats don't actually learn anything from being hit.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Last year at the vet, Chairman Meow was 3.5 pounds, Fidel Catstro was 3.

Now, Chairman Meow is 7, Fidel is 16. Woah.

Get a cat named Fulgencio Batista to keep Your chubby cat busy.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think you got two of dang near the best ones. As to their interactions they may chill out, they may not. I would just let them sort it out. My cats were supposedly buddies when I got them but I never get cat piles, they just kinda have their spots. Yours might just be a tad on edge with the changes, it's a bit early to tell.

I keep my dishes on a bakers rack, and I have to keep a paper towel on the top of each dish. Soon you may find your life covered in cat hair.

Congrats.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rrail posted:

Just an update

I know you cared a lot about Gary and I'm sorry.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What I would do is give a regular cat box a try first and see if the cat goes in it. If nothing try cat attract. Most cats who aren't feral will get it with just regular old litter. If not though that's OK.
Fill a box a third dirt, if the cat has an accident anywhere move the turd to the box. After the cat has used the box, you can start adding more litter until it all litter.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I feed blue buffalo, I like it a lot but there was an unbelievable stinky poo transition period when I switched. Super super stinky.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eponine posted:

Don't destroy my illusion! She is a princess!

I tell people my cat is a Khao Manee She isn't
I think shelters should label all the cats as close to what they resemble to make them more attractive to adopters. I get one shelter couldn't do it unless they all did and it doesn't work that way, but I think it should.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure they will be extra careful and your girl will be home before you know it! I would do the same thing. Good Luck.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Abbeh posted:

He's being an rear end. All three of my cats (four if you include Fry) have been tearing my wallpaper off the walls and eating it. It doesn't even taste good.

Have you tried it?

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Trebuchet King posted:

Is there anything in dryer sheets that would be appealing to a cat's appetite or is my cat just weird?

It's not just you, there was a goon who had like a $2000 exploratory surgery to find a blockage, it was a dryer sheet.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Angela Manaconda posted:

I've got a cat who has been nothing but teeny problems that have been costing me a lot of money. :(
Monster needed his shots, and was having issues with his eyes. Of course, when I took him to the vet, his eyes looked fine aside from a little red....so I had to take him back three days later when they were red and had green eye boogers and blah blah blah. He got eye drops, his eyes look fine, though the vet had said this may be a reoccurring problem. Whatever, that's done, and it only cost me like 400 Canadian dollars total for both visits (for paying the vets, for the medicine, and then for transportation both times.) :cry:

Now...Monster. Normally, Monster gets a variety of foods that are mixed together. I seriously only go by the packages and not at all by the names, so I couldn't tell you what they all are, but they are all in the 'premium' category. Grain free, all that jazz.
Somehow, we ran out of cat food, which...is a rare occurrence. So I ran down to the store nearby, and grabbed something that looked just fine, ingredients wise, was grain free, and was recommended to me by the owner of the store.
Turns out Monster's allergic to it. :( Through process of elimination, I've determined it's probably because it was a salmon formula. He's never had anything salmon flavored before as far as I know, and has never had a reaction to any other food. He normally eats chicken/duck flavored foods.
Now, he's been switched to a different food, but was eating that other poo poo for like a week while I was away and my boyfriend was feeding him. I came home and he is...seriously dandruffy, and also has little bumps (some of which are scabby) all over him, that I believe are hives. He's clearly pretty drat itchy.
He's been off that food for two days, and is...still full of dandruff and has the bumps.
What can I do for him? :( Is there anything I can do to help my baby feel better? Sorry for the wall-o-text but I am so worried.

As far as the food allergies, I understand that they do express with skin problems like you describe, but it isn't something I have dealt with. I think just find the protein source that works and use that and it will take some time. Good luck with it. Maybe some one else has better thoughts on it.
As to the eyes, my girl has been through that, you can try adding a scoop of L-lysine to your cats food every day, it really helped with my cats eye ball herpes. She would get the red eyes when she was stressed out.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Me too
"You purchased this item on August 24, 2010."
I've been very happy with this product.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Quoting self for context. Turns out yes, his urethra was blocked, but his bladder wasn't horrendously full (apparently a lot of the time they are so full as to be distended), and he shows no signs of having a kidney problem due to it. His urinalysis still has to go through, but they think I should be able to bring him home *possibly* tonight but probably tomorrow.

The only reason I was able to catch it so quickly and get him care is because I read PI all the time and I knew the signs: crouching, straining, trying to pee outside of the litterbox, junk licking.

Thanks PI :gbsmith:

eta: Oh yeah, and $1300 gone so far :supaburn:

Holy poo poo on the bill, but I'm so glad you caught it. Can't wait to hear he is home and OK.
*edited to clarify, I don't think the bill is unreasonable, it's just big

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 9, 2011

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hobo Camp posted:

Posting this here

I want to reiterate that average life span of many indoor cats is 20 years. I saw your post in the other thread I just had absolutely no idea! I hope Rhea is right and it's the food and it clears up fast. Love the pic.

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Engineer Lenk posted:

Where'd this come from? Most sources I found put it at around 12-15, but I couldn't find recent peer-reviewed articles.

Changes it to "many indoor cats" as I don't have a peer reviewed article either.