Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danrok
Apr 23, 2008

Eat your fucking vegetables.
Alright we adopted a kitten from the Humane Society two weeks ago and he's the most adorable thing ever. Well a few days after we brought him home he started sneezing and then the next day his eye started running so I took him to the vet for a checkup.

I feel like I shouldn't question what the vet says because what do I know, I'm just some guy that reads poo poo on the internet, but I feel like I am getting kinda screwed around with and I want to I guess be reassured or have it confirmed that I am not.

The Humane Society did the following while he was in their care:

FIRST WORMING - ADVANTAGE MULTI
SECOND WORMING STRONGID-T
FVRCP

We brought all the records to the vet on 8/10, she insisted that we have him tested for FELV/FIV, Internal Parisites and put on antibiotics for the sneezing and runny eyes because a kitten can die from it.

so...

8/10
CLAVAMOX DROPS 15ML $34.40
REGULAR OFFICE CALL $43.75
FELV/FIV TEST $70.60
INTESTINAL PARASITE CHECK $19.65
ANTIBIOTIC INJECTION $29.35
BIOHAZARD DISP OUTPATIENT 3.99
~$200

I thought what the christ, this poo poo is expensive but if it's necessary for my kitten then whatever we'll pay it. We feed him Natures Variety - Instinct wet food and Wellness brand dry food so we're not sparing any expense here.

Well today was the followup, she said he was looking better but still had a fever (102 degrees) and sounded a little congested in his lungs and that he needed a different medicine so he would get over the sickness. She asked if he was an inside or outside cat and I told her that he is not allowed outside and only stays inside. Then she stuck him with a vaccine while telling me that it was for feline distemper and feline leukemia and squirted something in his mouth and said that it was necessary to prevent worms from migrating up into his respiratory system.

Now look, this all sounds like bullshit to me but like I said, what do I know. It wasn't until she asked what he was eating, I told her and she said that Natures Variety is mostly water and they add a ton of salt to both that and Wellness. I gave her a WTF face and then she walked out and her assistant brought us to the front desk.

Then they tell me it's going to be another $120.14 so I pay it because I still don't know if I am being ridiculous.

I look at the invoice and it says

BAYTRIL 22.7MG $33.80
WELLNESS EXAM W/ VACCINES $19.90
FVRCP BOOSTER #1 $22.10
FELEUK BOOSTER #1 $18.90
HOOK/ROUND WORMING $21.45
BIOHAZARDOUS DISP OUTPATIENT $3.99
~$120

Then they scheduled me for another follow up in 8 days.

Am I getting hosed over here or am I being unreasonable? Why is he getting FVRCP again when the Humane Society got him? Why does he need FELEUK if he is an inside cat and why does he need to be dewormed every 2-3 weeks for fucks sake?

Tell me if I am a retard who is just overreacting please and not a pushover that is letting his cat get overmedicated to make someone a quick buck. I feel like the later and might need some proper perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danrok
Apr 23, 2008

They did all the tests while I waited, he is eating and drinking fine, using the litter box daily and nothing came up in the tests for parasites.

I agree, it would be nice if they explained because then I'd feel better about it, I basically just keep getting told that it's what all kittens need and this many vaccines and stuff is normal but not really getting a straight answer beyond that.

I figured the Humane Society would have tested him but it's not in any of the paperwork. He is 12 weeks old, does that make a huge difference? He was 10 weeks when we adopted him.

They have me down for the next visit to have the following done:

BORDETELLA FELINE #1

and on 9/12 to have these:
REWORMING
FVRCP BOOSTER
FELEUK BOOSTER

Which would be a fourth FVRCP as well.

I feel much better about all the different charges if most of it actually is normal, this is our first kitten and I expected to have to pay a lot up front but I wish they explained it. I didn't ask because the price wasn't going to dissuade me from getting him whatever care he needs but they also didn't tell me how much things were going to cost until they were asking for my credit card. I feel pressured to hurry up and get out and only spend about 5 minutes with the actual vet so maybe I will start looking for a new vet.

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

Also, I wanted to get him a kitten playmate but have been holding off since he is sick. Looking forward to dropping another $500 on vet tests and vaccines for a second kitten makes me die a little inside, heh, but we'll see.

Edit:
Also, this is the little cutie!

Danrok fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 22, 2009

Danrok
Apr 23, 2008

We put a deposit down on a cute little 12 old kitten (the same age as Artemis - greek goddess name for a male cat :buddy: ) so ours would have some company during the day while we're at work and so he hopefully doesn't grow up into an unsocialized crazy cat.

We're planning on going to visit the new kitten again this weekend and bring him home since we'll have a long weekend for some introductions and monitoring just in case.

Now, the new kitten is currently on treatment for ear mites but I read that it's still contagious during that time but normal Advantage flea treatment is enough to prevent it from spreading. Is this true?

We don't currently have Artemis on anything but we got a book which came a get one free coupon and two buy one get one free coupons for Advantage.

They offered to keep the new kitten until the mites cleared up but this is a convenient three day weekend. Here's what they look like!