Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

Lester Shy posted:

I guess what I'm asking is are there any unusual places you've found your cats before, and how long does it usually take for them to come off being upset?

One of my (indoor only) cats goes behind the furnace when something freaks him out. The first time he did it, he was there for a couple of hours and I was really starting to worry that he had gotten out somehow. Cats can make themselves fit in some pretty small spaces when they really want to, so check behind furniture, fixtures, etc.

I hope he reappears soon. I know how nerve wracking it is when they pull a disappearing act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Helvetica Neue posted:

I've had him for ~6months now and he seems perfectly healthy; he stays indoors 100% of the time. Should I rush him to the vet to get checked out right away? Or wait for his 1 year birthday?

I would call the vet and ask their opinion. Personally, I would go ahead and do it now.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Sumadartson posted:

Does anyone know what the hell happened here and/or how we could potentially remedy this?

Yeah, this happened to me too after Gus stayed one day at the vet this summer. Archie didn't recognize him anymore, much hissing and growling ensued. And these are cats who have lived with each other for 12.5 years now. I forget who gave me this advice but it was quite helpful. Take a towel or old tshirt, rub the female cat with it to get her scent on it. Get another towel and do the same thing with the male cat. Then rub each of them with the other's towel. This gets their scents on each other and helps with the freaking out. At least it did with my guys. YMMV

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Esmerelda posted:

Feathers on a string? You mean, that thing on the top shelf in the closet? The closet that the cat is sitting in front of from the moment I walk in the door? Yeah, that thing is worth the investment. Of course, once I start playing feather I can't stop until the cat is nearly dead (about an hour later.) Buy with caution ;)

This, oh my god, this is my cat exactly. I keep the toy in the coat closet when we're not playing. So ANY time I open the door, it doesn't matter where Archie is or what he was doing, he appears with such an expectant look on his face. "Are you going to get the super fabulous extra fun toy out? You're getting the toy, right? Right? Oh please, oh please, oh please." And his excitement and joy has not dimmed at all in his 13 years. Still will play to the point of exhaustion if I let him.

Ack, new page. Here's a picture of the little smug bastard.

JimmydaFish fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 11, 2011

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

^^^ Gotta keep it on the top shelf where she can't get to .... Oh wait, it's Trophy, never mind. She's the magic cat that will probably get to it no matter what.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Steezo posted:

Even with his tongue sticking out, that is one handsome kitty.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

I have a question for those of you with kitties with CRF. Gus was diagnosed at the beginning of the month. He is responding well to fluids and the prescription food (after trying a couple of brands). Now that he is feeling better, he doesn't really want to sit still for me while getting the subq fluids every day. He is currently getting 150 ml/day. That's down from 300 ml/day that he was getting for the first 2 weeks. What I have set up now is the bottom half of the cat carrier, lined with towels, to corral him. I put this up on the kitchen counter to make him less likely to jump off (he's never been a big jumper). This works to a degree but he is getting really squirmy. I live alone so there isn't someone who can help out everyday. So does anyone have any tips or tricks to make him sit still while he's getting his fluids?

Here's a picture in exchange for suggestions.......

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

JimmydaFish posted:

I have a question for those of you with kitties with CRF. Gus was diagnosed at the beginning of the month. He is responding well to fluids and the prescription food (after trying a couple of brands). Now that he is feeling better, he doesn't really want to sit still for me while getting the subq fluids every day. He is currently getting 150 ml/day. That's down from 300 ml/day that he was getting for the first 2 weeks. What I have set up now is the bottom half of the cat carrier, lined with towels, to corral him. I put this up on the kitchen counter to make him less likely to jump off (he's never been a big jumper). This works to a degree but he is getting really squirmy. I live alone so there isn't someone who can help out everyday. So does anyone have any tips or tricks to make him sit still while he's getting his fluids?

Sorry to quote myself, but really hoping for some suggestions. Thanks!

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Esmerelda posted:

I had help with my cat that needed to get regular sub-q fluids. However, I probably could have done it myself if I wasn't such a big baby about needles.

Is your cat a lap cat? Mine would only sit still on my lap (he stretched out and wrapped his paws around me knees then rested his chin on them, it was his preferred way of sitting.) So cat on my lap, fluids hanging from a light fixture so that the tube and needle were long enough to reach the cat in my lap.

If you could maybe set up something similar where you just put a chair under the fluids and relax with him it might help?

Yeah, the needles don't bother me but they bother him.

He's not much of a lap cat but he does have a favorite pillow on the sofa that he likes to sit/sleep on. Maybe I'll see if he's more cooperative if I do it while he's there.

vonnegutt posted:

If you can wrap a towel around him that might help. The feeling of constant pressure on all sides makes my cat much less squirmy.

If the above suggestion doesn't work, I'll give this one a shot.

Thank you!

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks Enelrahc and RheaConfused! I've been giving treats after so I'll try the technique you linked and warming the fluid. Since this is something I will be doing for as long as he's still feeling good, anything to make it more positive helps.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

^^^^ You should clean the sink and bathtub with Nature's Miracle (or some other enzymatic cleaner) to get rid of the piss. Otherwise she'll keep going back to them because she'll still be able to smell it. At least she did it where it is somewhat easy to clean instead of your floor or furniture.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Anyway here's my amazon cart at the moment, am I missing anything glaring?

Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain
Armarkat Cat Tree Model A6501, Beige
FURminator Long Hair deShedding Tool for Small Cats
Safari Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush for Cats
Duranimals DuraScoop Cat Litter Scoop
Pruven P LTM 1824 T 18 by 24-Inch Litter Trap Mat,Tan
Midwest Quiet Time Pet Bed, Fleece, 22" x 13"
Indipets Stainless Steel Pet Bowl with Anti Skid Rubber Base, 1-Quart
KONG Cat Hugga Wubba
Rattling Fur Mice
Ultimate Touch Cat Claw Clipper
Hagen Catit Style Scratcher with Catnip
Catit Scratcher with Catnip, Wide

Personally I like the Pioneer stainless steel fountain (http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-S...er+pet+fountain) better than the Drinkwell. The Drinkwell just has too many corners and crevices for crap to accumulate in. I felt like it never really got clean. And it was too big to go in my dishwasher. The Pioneer is a simpler design and super easy to clean. Cost is about the same so that shouldn't be an issue.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

^^^^^ Congratulations on your new kitty! It sounds like you have the right attitude about letting her get settled and comfortable. You're right, she'll come out when she's ready.

Have you named her yet?

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

^^^^^ Nature's Miracle is the best. You should be able to pick it up at any pet supply store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

criscodisco posted:

I spent the last few months in the hospital (criscodisco managed to have himself a great big ole heart attack), and my partner was there with me pretty much 24/7, going home long enough to fill food bowls and empty litter boxes, and I got home just a few days ago.

Now Mr. Chalmers is so clingy he hasn't left my bed except to use the potty and will only eat if my other half pours some food on the bed.

While I enjoy the company, he thinks it's play time all the time, and I have the scars to prove it.

Any way to "un-cling" a cat? The clinginess is endearing, but it's getting old quick, and I can't leave the bed much so I can't just go to another room.

I tried berating him, but nothing can tear him away. Any advice would be great.

You're back! Yay! Sorry to hear about the heart attack but hopefully you're on the mend. Sounds like Chalmers missed you big time. I would also suggest a laser pointer toy, it should tire him out but not you.

Your thread was the best. Hope the rest of the brood is doing okay too.