Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

Xerin posted:

So in summary, do I need to buy multiadvantage every month of the cats life and do soft paws work and can cats really sharpen their claws in a even after you trim them?

Even if your cat doesn't go outside you and your other pets can bring fleas and other parasites inside. that's why the vet is pushing that.

As for the declaw thing, I'd seriously change vets if mine said that it "comes standard with neutering." If your cat is still young you can easily train it to let you trim their claws. I trim my tabby's claws about every week just to keep them blunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hady
Jun 28, 2008
You might want to just start by trimming the claws and use soft paws if the cats starts clawing furniture. My cats never claw any furniture except a sofa I have from the 70s. Since the cat is already letting you manipulate its paw you shouldn't have any problem trimming the claws. Also make sure you have a scratching post or two and train the cat to scratch that. The only cats we had that scratched furniture were the ones that didn't have scratching posts as kittens.

And your vet sucks. Get a new one.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008
Also google your area and vet reviews. When I lived in New Orleans I looked at vet reviews online to help pick one. Also talk to any friends/neighbors with pets and ask who their vet is.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

My kitten is stupid when it comes to the litter box. He always reaches way too far and too high and therefore scratches the side of the box rather than the litter. He of course scratches incessantly for like 5 minutes at a time since digging at plastic doesn't do the job. I am using one of those big Rubbermaid tubs with a hole cut into the side. I upgraded them to a really big one (footprint is probably 2.5 feet by 1.5 feet) to see if that helped and it only has a little bit. Now he actually hits litter a tiny percentage of the time rather than never. I'm not sure what would help besides a swimming pool-size box and the little 'tard would probably still find the sides. His brother has no trouble burying his poo poo and ends up burying stupid cat's poo poo too, usually. How can I teach my durfy kitten to bury properly?

Some cats just don't learn. One of the cats I had when I was a kid would poop, then scratch the sides of the washing machine that was next to the litter box, scratch the laundry room floor, then leave. He never seemed to understand that he wasn't covering anything in the box. Usually the other cat would go in and cover up for him later.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

OatmealRaisin posted:

Also, I really have no idea how to go about finding a good vet. I assume the shelters will be able to point me in the right direction?

Depending on the shelter, some will give you a list of local vets with your paperwork. Also ask any friends/coworkers which vet they go to. Sometimes you can google your city and "vet review" for reviews - I did this when I lived in New Orleans.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

exactduckwoman posted:

Many shelters have adoption days AT pet stores, but it's different- call around your local Petcos and see if there are any soon. Try putting your zipcode into petfinder.com and see what shelters come up.

Not sure about Petco, but at Petsmarts they have cats from local shelters all week. They don't sell cats and dogs. Pet Adoption days At Petsmart are only for dogs and are every Saturday.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

exactduckwoman posted:

Petco is the same way, but it's quite clear that the cats there are from a shelter agency (lots of signs and the word ADOPT everywhere). I wasn't sure if Petsmart had it too so thanks :)

Yep, same thing at Petsmart. The word adopt everywhere, and the cats are kept there for a while too. The last batch I saw there were there for at least a month and had all kinds of notes on the cages about their personality and where they came from. It seemed like most were bonded pairs, and a combination of both cats and kittens.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

IDemandSatisfaction posted:

Has anyone ever adopted a cat that they found on the street?

I ask this since my girlfriend brought one home at 1 AM last night. I think he's someone's indoor cat that got lost (he's quite clean and has a bell around his neck), but now I have a cat of mysterious origins sleeping on my couch. I contacted the police and animal control where she found him, but I doubt I'll hear anything.

Is it a completely insane idea to keep him?

You should at least take it to get scanned for a microchip. Personally I'd also put up fliers in the area with a description to try to find the owner. It's one thing to keep a stray, but keeping a cat that obviously belongs to someone else without looking for the owners is a pretty lovely thing to do.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008
We use a swivel sweeper since it's great at picking up kitty litter on almost any surface. It's not great for anything else, so we just keep them by the litter boxes.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008
If you notice your cats are beginning to over-eat or are starting to get chunky, then stop free-feeding. While one of my cats regulates herself and is highly active, the other one pigs out on everyone's food and is a porker. So both of my cats eat on a schedule.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

geetee posted:

I'm curious to hear about people's experience with cats and wall-to-wall carpet. I'm in the process of moving into a new (old) apartment and need to decide between refinishing the floors + area rugs or carpeting everything. My preference is wall-to-wall carpet, but if it's going to be destroyed, I rather not spend the money.

It depends on the cat. My last set never bothered to claw the carpet, but my current cats sometimes get confused and scratch the carpet instead of their posts. Usually they use their posts though, so I keep a few around the house. If you're worried about vomit/etc. stains, just get a can of Spot Shot.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008
I taught my cats to sit before I put the food dish down, but my calico still goes nutso while I'm putting the food in the dish. At least one of them waits patiently now.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

Fire In The Disco posted:

I guess the reason I'm skeptical is because I've never in my life had a problem with overweight cats, and I've had anywhere from 3-10 cats at a time throughout my life, which is a total of somewhere around 30 cats. I'd think that with that many cats, we'd have had at least one tubby cat, but we never did. So I'm curious to hear how common cats without the "off" switch are.

Out of the 5 cats we've had in my lifetime two have been total chubsters that couldn't be free-fed. Also out of the 6 cats I petsit (who are all free fed), three are piggies that are overweight.

pandafan posted:

I've done all of that! Now she sitting on my friend's lap right next to me! Whenever I try to pet her, she bites at me and/or runs away, whereas my friend easily pets her. :(

It's going to sound weird, but have you tried ignoring her? Some cats are just attracted to the human who shows the least interest in them. It's like a challenge for them. All of our cats have liked my dad the most and he usually ignores them.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008
One of my cats has a 24PetWatch chip and the other has a HomeAgain chip. Both were chipped by the shelters I got them from. HomeAgain has a yearly fee of around $18 while 24PetWatch has no fees. After my first free year with HomeAgain I transferred my registration to 24PetWatch (which was free). I believe both use the same frequency. I still get emails and junk mail from HomeAgain asking for renewal money, which is very annoying.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

Hady posted:

One of my cats has a 24PetWatch chip and the other has a HomeAgain chip. Both were chipped by the shelters I got them from. HomeAgain has a yearly fee of around $18 while 24PetWatch has no fees. After my first free year with HomeAgain I transferred my registration to 24PetWatch (which was free). I believe both use the same frequency. I still get emails and junk mail from HomeAgain asking for renewal money, which is very annoying.

Of course after I post this I get mail from 24PetWatch saying my free year is over. I'm going to check with the vet to see if my info comes up when the cat is scanned since I suspect the "fee" is for a bunch of extra stuff and not continued registration.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

Yarrbossa posted:

Welp, here I am again. I posted a few weeks ago with my 2 female cats not getting along and one peeing all over everything. We as a household have picked up the slack to try and improve the situation and it's only gotten worse, I think.

Have you taken the offending cats to the vet? Peeing outside the box is often a health problem (UTI, crystals, etc.)

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

demozthenes posted:

Is turkey a common "problem food" for cats? Mine gets a variety of Buffalo Blue Spa wet foods at night (I buy a few of each flavor and she gets 1/2 can of whatever each night) and she always seems to not eat or puke up the turkey flavor. Her dry food is Blue Wilderness chicken and she has no other problems with food. I'm not going to feed that type anymore, but I want to know how aware I should be of turkey or other ingredients in her treats, etc.

I'd just avoid turkey if I were you. One of my cats had issues with Salmon-flavored foods when she got older so we just stopped feeding that kind and focused more on poultry flavors. It might just be that your cat doesn't like the taste/aftertaste rather than being allergic to poultry (since she doesn't have problems with chicken).

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

Mighty Amoeba posted:

Will Valentine settle down and be friendlier to Lucy when she gets older? Do I need to start training her into better interactions now, and how do I do that? I'm pretty sure Valentine is going to be bigger than Lucy when she grows up (Lucy was living out of a dumpster until she was 4 months old, Valentine's been eating quality food since she was born, plus Lucy's older and fat--we are attempting to diet) and I don't want her to be beating Lucy up all the time forever. Especially because Lucy is so receptive to having a friend.

I haven't had two cats at the same time or a kitten this young before. Feedback?

Some cats will never be buddy-buddy, but she should settle down after a year or two. I got both of my current cats when they were young and they still don't cuddle. They love to wrestle with each other and will even sleep near each other, but all attempts to groom each other or snuggle end in a wrestling match.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

EDIT for new adopter question: I adopted him from a non-profit "Cat Adoption Team" that has a facility and appears to take pretty darn good care of their cats. He came with a piece of paper that said something along the lines of Clean Bill of Health, but I have no idea how long it has been since he's been to the vet. Is it important to get him to a vet for a checkup or can I trust that he was checked up on at the shelter?

Did they give you any kind of paperwork regarding their immunizations? If you're not sure you can try calling them, they might have records of it since you adopted him recently. Either way it can't hurt to take him to your vet just for a check-up.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

Doh004 posted:

Would it be bad to get some sort of air freshener and put it "near" the covered litterbox? I'm in this small studio apartment and the fresh poop is very apparent. I'm using the World's Best stuff.

I keep one of those cone-shaped odor-eater things on top of the lid of my cats' litterbox. It doesn't seem to bother them and keeps the general area smelling better. It wouldn't work if your cat is too curious since they're sticky, but mine ignore them completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hady
Jun 28, 2008
My cat Freya does that every single time I switch her food. She tries to bury it or just looks at me with this look that screams "wtf is this poo poo?". She usually gives up and eats the new food after a day and a half.