Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Animal Fizz
Feb 14, 2009
I just read the thread and never noticed my question already posted, although I imagine it's a common one, but here it is:

I have a 4 year old male kitty named Sammy. Yesterday I adopted a 7-week old female kitten, who I have dubbed Charlotte. SammyCat has a fantastic personality and is very cuddly and loving, but I assumed another cat in the house would make him completely lose his poo poo. However, he is absolutely fascinated by Charlotte and wants to sniff her and nuzzle her and cuddle her to death.

Charlotte HATES Sammy. She stares at him and hisses if he so much as looks at her. I guess I'm just thrown off because I expected Sammy to be upset and for Charlotte to want to bond to another cat, as she's from a home with 8 other kittens and 2 adults. She's very affectionate with me, however, and loves to cuddle, so I know she has it in her to be nice to Sam.

Sammy is chill as gently caress, so he just goes to lie down or something if Charlotte freaks on him, and I allow him to come and go outside as he pleases (which I think Charlotte is still too tiny for) so they each have their own space. I'm just wondering if it's normal for the kitten to be so standoffish, and if they'll ever begin to get along? I can keep them separated forever if I have to, but it would warm the cockles of my cold, cold heart to see them cuddling or grooming eachother.

Also, side question: Sammy has not yet been neutered (I know, I know), but I wanted to get it done when I get Charlotte spayed, which will presumably be when she's 6 months old. What are the chances Sam will knock her up before then? If they're very great, I'll have him done ASAP, but I was hoping to minimize the number of days I spent caring for infirmed kitties by getting them done the one shot.

Thanks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Animal Fizz
Feb 14, 2009
I have a question about my demon cat.

She's 8 months old and she will not stop pouncing/biting/scratching/clawing. I am being quite literal: it is CONSTANT. It's really bad and it's getting to the point where I don't even want her around me anymore. I can't even sit down on the couch without being attacked. And when I'm about to go nuts I'll go in another room and close the door, at which point she SCREECHES and claws at the door. That's actually more irritating than the biting, so I usually end up letting her in.

Playing with her helps for maybe 5 minutes, but then she's back at me again. It doesn't really seem like she's playing, either. It really, really hurts.

She's an indoor cat, and we live in a small apartment. My boyfriend built her a scratching post/ tower thing with toys dangling from it, but she really just seems to prefer the taste of human flesh.

Will she grow out of it? She's still a kitten, really. She's been playful ever since I got her (she was 6 weeks old), but it's only become a problem the last couple of weeks.

I don't know if it's relevant, but she's also in heat. We're getting her spayed tomorrow. Any chance that will mellow her the gently caress out?

Also, am I a bad person for being SUPER-EXCITED for tomorrow when she gets back from the vet because she'll conked out from painkillers???

The Animal Fizz
Feb 14, 2009

Auracounts posted:

Another kitten would probably help this situation tremendously. You got your kitty when she was VERY young - 6 weeks is a tad early to take them away from their mother and littermates. The bigger problem, however, is that if she's an only cat, separated from other cats since 6 weeks, she never learned proper play.

Kittens attacks and play fight all the time. It's one of the ways in which they learn boundaries and the difference between biting and nibbling, or nipping. Same thing with the claws. When you watch two kittens fight, they will give out little distress cries if the other is playing too hard. I suspect yours simply never learned the difference - she IS playing, she just doesn't realize that she is hurting you.

Also, having a second will help mellow her out a bit too - she won't have to exert all her energy on you, because she now has a playmate to tire her out.

You could try making loud noises or cries when she bites/scratches/etc too hard to let her know that she has crossed the line. I'm sure others here will have suggestions, as well. It's hard for me to comment, because I've always gotten my kitties in pairs, so they've always learned fast how hard is too hard.

As far as whether being in heat affects her aggression, that I do not know. I do know it'll mellow her out in the sense that kitty rear end won't constantly be in your face with those low, constant, "IM IN HEAT" meows, so that's a plus. :P

Hmm, I never thought of it as being a socialization problem. It's possible, but when we first got her I was living at my mom's house, and she has a cat as well. The cat (Sammy) HATED the kitten. The kitten tortured him. She would pick at him and jump on him and he'd hiss and swipe. Eventually they grew lukewarm to one another and even played together, so it's not like she's never played with another cat. And until I moved into the apartment, she could go inside and outside as she pleased. We lived in a secluded area before, so there was no danger of getting hit by cars or anything. Now we're in a subdivision so I don't want to chance it, and I also just prefer to have her be an indoor cat.

I do shout when she bites, but that's because it legitimately hurts! She doesn't care. I don't understand how it doesn't hurt HER: She headbutted my ankle today when she went to bite me, and it STILL hurts. I can only imagine how it felt on her little noggan.

And the meowing. Oh, how I can't wait for the meowing to end...

Thanks for the advice! :)