Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only issue we've ever had was adopting a black cat in October. Apparently using black cats for sacrifice during Halloween is a myth people believe in.

Only reason I got offended is because it was a littermate of a kitten we had taken in that died of a liver shunt. Like if we come in for a second try, don't start questioning our motivations. We already feel lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We got a belly rub lover who is in possession of illegal amounts of belly fluff.

https://i.imgur.com/5PxLxD9.mp4

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can use a furminator every couple weeks. If you overgroom with it it can irritate the skin and maybe damage their undercoat.

Options you can use daily is a traditional slicker/wire brush or an equigroomer. The wire brush is less effective but the hair gets stuck in the brush so it's a little easier to clean. The equigroomer will completely obliterate hair problems but the post brushing mess can be annoying. I usually let it build up around their rear and then wipe it away with a hand, it balls up pretty well.

If you do brush daily it's going to be a huge mess at first but after a couple weeks you'll notice the brush pulling out less hair. That means you've caught up and can probably do maintenance brushing every couple days.

Beyond that, it's a cat. They're engineered to endlessly produce hair.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get sent to bed every night at 7:45 so a cat can properly arrange herself at the foot of the bed. She'll start bawling at me and won't stop until I get moving.

If I happen to want to stay up late and ignore her she'll eventually give up and go sulk in some other part of the house, won't see her until breakfast.

Cats gonna cat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You're tossing a toddler (though 18 months is kind of pushing it for kitten status) with no social skills into a room of adults. Hissing and growling is how cats establish boundaries.. I'm not saying ignore it, but in those meetings maybe allow a little bit of it so the kid can figure out its place in the world.

The fact that the adults are hiding isn't particularly great but disengagement is another way cats communicate boundaries.

Separating them longer is probably good but as long as no fights are breaking out I wouldn't stress out a bunch. Cats gotta figure out their hierarchy somehow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make sure you get registered for preschool asap, you really don't want your kitten to fall behind.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's possible they heard a critter back there too. Cats can be insanely patient hunters.

One of ours spent two weeks camping the stove and eventually caught a mouse for it. It was an old house and we'd just moved in, took a few months to scare all the rodents off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get a sample of whatever fits your budget. If kitty doesn't eat it, try something else.

Though if she's anything like our current cats, she'll devour the first two cans and once you buy a 12 pack will decide it's inedible sludge.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We got automatic feeders for our cats because we wanted to take a long weekend, and due to shipping delays they only arrived a day before we left. I was worried they wouldn't figure them out so I set up our security camera on their food bowls so we could watch them at meal times.

Had zero problems, as soon as kibble dropped into the metal bowl both of them were gobbling away.

The only problem is now my wife is spending the evening talking to our cats through the camera and they are not sure what to make of the metal box that sounds like her.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In my head they get tired of you throwing away the present they brought you. Stupid humans rejecting feline gifts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It reads to me like they are using clumping litter. That's why it's sticking to kitty's paw.

You could look into pine pellets. It's more work but there's wayyyy less dust and nothing to stick to feet. It also smells better (assuming you like pine). Cats can have issues adjusting to it though, they might be too used to clay litter and require an extensive easing process.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duster can worked splendidly for us because one cat doesn't give a poo poo about it and she's a little angel that never does anything wrong. The one that actually does bad things reacts like an air raid is in progress and heads for the bunker.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

worth it.

But the general advice is you can train them to play softer, when it gets too rough just do the disengage and walk away thing. It's hard and they probably will give you the saddest eyes in all of history but it does work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can try making the official feeding time later. At least in my experience cats internal clocks are off by about 30-45 minutes so if I set breakfast at 7am, they'll start pestering me a little after 6. So maybe if you shift everything an hour later (assuming that's possible for you) it'll help.

But don't expect any miracles as they also seem to tell time based on sunrise/sunset because our cats tend to beg for dinner earlier and earlier as the fall season progresses.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've had cats at both ends of the extremes. They got personalities as varied as humans so you just happened to get a chill cat that doesn't mind her paws being touched.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

One of ours will fuss and squirm over any new body care procedure, the first couple times. After that her spirit breaks and she curls into a ball and buries her face in a blanket while we do what we need.

It is wayyyyy more effective than digging claws into my arm because it makes me feel like a cruel monster.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had a not eating cat scare a couple months ago. She'd had a tick on her earlier in the summer so I was super paranoid.

Get to the vet office and she barfs up the biggest hairball in history.

cats :iiam:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What kind of procedure was it to get the metal out? Are they able to bring it back up through the throat? Or cut into the stomach?

Hope I never have to go through with that but I am curious what they're able to do for that stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pairofdimes posted:

Thanks, I guess that hot-glue gun I bought and used once will come in handy once more.

Also if you want to replace that rope, you can get 100 feet of sisal rope from home depot for like $15.

I attach with a staple gun but I guess a glue gun works too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In my experience once a cat hates a carrier it's game over, they'll never unlearn it. Your options are to find some other kind of carrier (something soft sided that maybe looks like a cozy place to nap instead of a hellbox) or develop a technique to tuck them into the carrier before they notice.

I had really good luck with one cat where I'd cover her eyes while scooping her into the carrier. She'd be so occupied with the fact that she can't see that the carrier doesn't get noticed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cat Wings posted:

You know what never has sensor issues? A tupperware box.

And a nose.

"oh hey something stinks, guess I should clean the cat box"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

phosdex posted:

What's it like moving cats long distance? I may be moving from nm to mn, just thinking ahead of ways to move my 2 cats. Flying seems like it would be easiest to me but scary as hell to them. Or I can drive it, make a spot in back seat and hope they just sleep through it.

Depends, cats can be chill or cats can freak out. Only way to know is try!

We did a two day drive last year when we moved and it was fine. The vet can give you sleepy drugs to chill them out but it tastes so bad it was impossible for us to get into the cat's mouth. We ended up putting them both in a large crate and covering it with a blanket, they were weirded out but stayed quiet. We did find a pet friendly airbnb along the way for a one night stay, they did the typical cat in a new place investigation then chilled out under a bed all night.

After a couple days in the new home they were pretty much back to normal.

I would never fly with cats given the option. Only way I'd consider it is if I bought an extra seat so they didn't have to go in the hold.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pet food tasting is an actual job that people have to do so maybe this is your big chance!

After they do all the testing to make sure the nutritional content is correct.. someone's gotta chew that stuff to make sure it doesn't taste like an unimaginable horror.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If your cats are super treat motivated, consider working them into an activity. One of ours will sprint across the house if I throw one and it seems like a good way to get them some exercise. She can have issues tracking it though, it needs to bounce off walls or hard floors because it blends into our carpet and I guess kitty vision isn't perfect, even if it's moving.

I also got a novelty slingshot which seemed like a good idea at the time but it can fling treats so fast she can't see it. So it takes some finesse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It takes a while to figure out how blood sugar works. Every body reacts slightly differently so you take the broad stroke advice and tailor it as you gain experience.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it becomes a consistent pattern a lower dosage is definitely in the cards. It just takes time to collect enough experience to know how to react.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are you sure they aren't peeing outside the box too? I'm sure there is a cat smell but I've live with a cat for 30 years so am more or less immune to the ambience. I can only smell urine when the box badly needs new litter or they pee somewhere else.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As another failsafe, leave your toilet lids up. I know it sounds gross and it probably is, but on the other hand, cats lick their own assholes.

Give it a proper scrub before leaving.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it's fully treated from a municipal source it's probably not a big deal. It'll get stale tasting due to absorbing compounds from the atmosphere but there's nearly zero nutrients in it so bacteria will have a tough time growing. It will start eventually though, either because of debris ending up in the water or bacteria coming from the cat itself.

I personally wouldn't let the water sit for 4 weeks. But 1-2 is a non-issue.

The water filter itself will eventually get gunked up enough to need a proper cleaning to avoid jump starting pathogen growth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Wouldn't the plastic accumulate a biofilm?

Yeah, that's why you gotta clean it regularly. Or don't use plastic. Everything builds up scum eventually but plastic seems to be the worst about it, and is the hardest to clean once it does get gross.

But if you start out with everything insanely clean tap water will be fine for a lot longer than one might think.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also keep the video mode ready. Record the first time they get to use a litterbox!

https://i.imgur.com/GaHgbWr.mp4

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We got "Petlibro Granary Auto Feeder" several months ago and have been generally happy with them. We got the non-wifi version because of reviews saying the wifi was kind of unreliable but if I was buying again I'd risk it anyways.. the non-wifi works well but programming changes is a tedious chore. The clock also isn't very accurate, it's drifted like 5 minutes in the past 6 months.

But it does do the stated job, it pukes out cat food fairly close to the same time every day. Cats adapted to it extremely quickly and instead of crying at me for lunch 30 minutes early they start camping the magic food machine 45 minutes before meal time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not in my experience no, and senior cat food tends to have fewer calories because their metabolism is slowing so they tend to need fewer calories to maintain a healthy weight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about a (dearly departed) void cat makin' biscuits.

https://i.imgur.com/tYQVPrK.mp4

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cats can have dainty claws too. We had one cat that was 15 years old and her claws still looked like they could have been on a kitten.

Senior cats tend to have thicker claws because they get less diligent using scratching posts so the outer layers never really flake off. It's why when you do a trimming sometimes you'll get "splinters" peeling off the outer shell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cats will have preferences, you can get toys made of felt, ones made from animal fur, and the plastic stuff sold at chain pet stores. Etsy is a pretty good place to look for variety.

What we did was buy a variety when our cats were kittens and stored them in a shallow box out in the open. Occasionally they'd select a toy and bat it around the house and we'd find it under a couch or something. Eventually we noticed a pattern and used that to figure out what they like.

Sometimes kitties misread the instructions though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be patient, kitten is still new to the world and no one learns the "how to live" manual instantly. Eventually the scratching instinct will kick in and you can start on directing the nails where you want them.

Sometimes actually placing their paws on the post and getting their nails stuck in the material helps. Just depends on their energy level, if they're real squirmy they'll probably be more interested in escaping than learning.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Leash training at that age is a brilliant idea. I did it with both of ours and they are both super chill as adults if I gotta harness them up. One absolutely hates going outside but the other took a huge liking to it and will bawl at me every day at 5pm to go on her walk (even if the weather is poo poo, she'll insist we head out on the front steps and only then come to a determination whether she wants to experience weather or not).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never had a cat that reacted to the mirror at all. I don't know if that means they recognize themselves in it, but it definitely means they don't see a different cat.

But I have been able to get them to follow a reflection of my hand so they can see that image. Perhaps they're vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also with the H5N1 scare sweeping across the US I'm getting hesitant to take kitty out of the house. Granted I don't have a farm cat drinking raw milk so the risk is pretty dang low, but it's got such a horrible survival rate for cats that it has me thinking twice. There's a lot of cows in this region and who knows what might be tracking the virus around the trails/sidewalks.