Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I need IMMEDIATE help.

I just found four newborn kittens on my backyard patio, possibly born within the last 24 hours. They were found completely unprotected, out in the open, and attached to something that is either poo poo or some sort of afterbirth... probably the latter... whatever it is, it’s attracting flies.

I didn’t want to touch them because I was scared the mother might reject them if I did (I don’t know poo poo about kittens), but at my father’s urging I ended up placing them on a folded towel inside of an open plastic bucket laying on its side. They are clinging very tightly to each other, to the point where I couldn’t pick them up one at a time, and the poo poo/afterbirth/whatever is attached so strongly that I couldn’t remove it (I thought it was poo poo at first and VERY VERY GENTLY tried to remove it, but I couldn’t get it off, and anyway it doesn’t really smell or look like poo poo, hence my thinking now that it’s afterbirth). I only handled them very minimally using sterile plastic gloves.

I need to know what to do. We’re assuming the mother will return, but I want to make sure they’re okay and I’m terrified of inadvertently screwing them somehow. I’m praying to God that I haven’t screwed them already. :ohdear:

Please help. This is making me very emotional.
Yeah this is a tangle of placentas and umbilical cords. This happens sometimes and it can be very tough to untangle. Sometimes the kittens can end up with pretty serious injuries if they’ve got a foot or other extremity stuck in the tangle. If there is a 24 hour vet in your area, I would take the kittens there as soon as you can. Mom will most likely not be able to fix this issue and the kittens will likely die without intervention.

If you can take them to a vet and bring them back quickly, Mom may reclaim them. If not, there may be a rescue or shelter in your area that can bottle raise them or show you how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

We don’t really have any money to pay vet bills. I might call a 24-hour vet near me and see if they’ll let me surrender them for free.

I can’t imagine why the mother wouldn’t come back. She’s pretty much made her home in my backyard, and this isn’t the first litter she’s given birth to here. However I’m worried about the fact she hasn’t come back for them yet. We just had a guy clean off our patio today, so maybe that has something to do with it?
It doesn’t matter if she comes back unless they get untangled. They are stuck together because she failed to chew/eat the cords and placentas, so they got tangled. She was probably trying to move them somewhere and was having trouble because they’re one big kitten ball, so they ended up on your porch. Even if she comes back, they cannot effectively nurse and survive unless they are separated.

If the vet you call will not let you surrender them, you should try to untangle them. Get a small pair of scissors and some thread. They’re anchored to each other by the umbilical cords. You just need to snip the cords about an inch from the kitten’s belly. The cords may or may not bleed when you cut them. If they bleed, tie a little loop of thread around the cord in a knot to stop the bleeding. It’s fine to cut the cords shorter than an inch, but the shorter you cut them, the harder it is to tie them off. If the cords are tight around any of their legs or tails, they really must go to a vet. If you’re not going to do this, you need to make some phone calls and find someone who will. These kittens are going to die on your porch if you do nothing, regardless of whether or not Mom comes back.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Organza Quiz posted:

They kept her overnight and said she’s much better this morning and can come home, but also she’s a little anemic and has elevated calcium so I need to take her to her regular vet to check for cancer (they can’t find any lumps or anything). Well gently caress. Someone tell me there’s other reasons for elevated calcium.
The most common cause is idiopathic hypercalcemia, which means you can do all the testing in the world and you won’t find a cause. Usually not a big deal. It’s still a good idea to see your vet to make sure it’s not cancer, especially with the anemia and not feeling good, but odds are pretty good that it may be nothing serious.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
Edit: actually nevermind, no point in helping when y’all would rather continue the vet bashing circle jerk

Crooked Booty fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 18, 2018

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Thumposaurus posted:

Hanging with my boy

E:This is a pic of him a few months before he went missing

uhh are you sure that’s the same cat

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Protocol7 posted:

Dear lord. I feel like a broken record at this point.

6 vet visits over the last 6 weeks across 4 different vets. All kinds of pain meds - buprenorphine, gabapentin, you name it. Lots of prazosin. A few antibiotics here and there.

Crowley is still acting the same way that made us take him to the emergency vet in the first place. Acting pained and somewhat struggling to pee.

What the hell do I have to do to fix my drat cat? I’m about ready to just go for PU surgery on him. I’ve lost two cats in the last three years. I’m not losing another, god damnit.
If your cat has FIC/FLUTD, PU surgery isn’t going to do anything for the pain and inflammation in his bladder. All it does is help prevent urethral obstruction. Is he eating 100% canned prescription urinary food?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
You do understand that PU surgery will not do anything to improve struvite crystals or UTI or FLUTD or FIC or whatever underlying cause is creating these issues for your cat? All it does is help prevent urethral obstruction. It does not fix his bladder pain or really any of the symptoms he has had in the last few weeks (other than now because it sounds like he may finally be obstructed for the first time?). Anyway I think PU surgery is very inappropriate treatment for your cat if that’s not clear.

ETA I know you’ve seen a lot of different vets in the past few weeks that have all given you different advice, but I would sure recommend getting another opinion before putting your cat through PU surgery. There are a lot of diagnostics that have not been done and less invasive treatments that have not been tried yet.

Crooked Booty fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 3, 2019