Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Augmented Dickey posted:

Is it normal for cats to start acting really weird whenever it starts raining outside? My 8 month old (100% indoor) kitten starts jumping around a howling like crazy whenever it rains.

Mine just got really scared and started to run away from me,looking for places to hide. I guess it was the first time he had seen rain.

Uh, and a question. Five days ago I adopted two kittens from an animal shelter, a 3 month old orange tabby and a 2 month old black kitten, Bastet and Salem. But they both look really thin, you can see their ribs and the hip bones(?). Is there anything extra I can add to their diet or some special brand of food?

I feed them with Whiskas dry and wet food, and that milk for cats they sell. Salem loves to drink the milk, but Bastet doesn't.

By the way, these are my first kittens. I already had dogs and other animals, and I'm kind of lost here.

Click here for the full 1324x1300 image.

-This is Bastet on his first day, he got a bath next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

The shelter gave you the cats in that state?? What the hell sort of shelter is that?

Anyway, Whiskas is a pretty crappy food. If you can, you should get them something of a better quality. Healthy food will help them recuperate faster. Check out the Pet Nutrition Megathread and see what you can get in your area. Not sure about anything to "fatten them up" faster . . . as long as you give them as much healthy food as they want, they should set themselves right soon.

Milk for cats? Do you mean kitten milk replacement? I haven't used that stuff before since I haven't had kittens that young. Just don't give them cow milk, it's not good for them.

It's a Mexican animal shelter, that might give you an idea of why they were in that state. Really sad, they can't keep the poor animals in good shape, but people rarely care here for the animals.

And thanks! Will look around, and see if what I can find, yes is the kitten replacement milk.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

Aah, I see. At least they ended up with you. Dear god a Mexican animal shelter must be a depressing place. :(

It is, the place smelt awful and the conditions the animals were would make you cringe.

Anyways, thanks! I already checked the post and there's some brands I can buy here, I know it will be incredibly expensive but it's for their good.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I have news, and one of them is really bad. My roommate's kitten died last week, we had a severe tick infestation, and the kitten got a bad diarrhea...sadly the she didn't make it. :(

She already looked very weak since the first day she came home. We are better now, buried the poor thing and well life goes on.

The good news is that Bastet(My kitten) looks better now, bigger and is getting fat! Took him to the vet this last Saturday and got his rabies shot and a treatment for some mange(or scabies, I don't know the right term) he was starting to develop. I'll post some pictures later. :]

So one question about the mange, is there another extra care I should give to him? The vet gave me an ointment to add in the areas he has been scratching.
:) Just wondering.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Thanks!

Yeah, I don't have front line.
(I'm planning in getting a platinum account, but right now I've been having some money issues.) I don't know, if you want my email, let me know.

"As with other mites in the Sarcoptes family, Notoedres can infect humans. The disease, though, is generally self-limiting, causing only temporary itching."

That explains why I've been having this itching in my arms and stomach. Oops. Time to stop petting him for a while.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Good news! Just received ChairmanMeow's package! Kitten is getting his treatment, also the mange is gone, and hair is starting to grow again on his ears.

Thanks a lot!!

Also bonus pictures of kitten, now fat,bigger, happy and playful:

Click here for the full 672x504 image.

Edit: Bastet has to wear a collar , because he spends more of his time in the outside and the neighbors stole him once. :( Awful people, I must say.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 5, 2009

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I have a new kitten. And someone came and threw it in my backyard (I suspect it was the neighbors). I already kinda know how to deal with kittens, as I had to look over one of my cat's litter. It seems she's barely three months old, can already eat solids but prefers the wet food and cries a lot whenever me, or my sister, leave the room. But here I come needing some identification help.

What breed is she? A Balinese, a Ragdoll or a mix with Siamese? Also, notice that I don't care about breeds, but I'm very puzzled of WHY would someone abandon this sweet cutie?

She also has a small scab in her ear, and keeps scratching it, but it's not bleeding or anything. What should I do with it?

My sister calls her "Seņorita Cometa" [Miss comet].
(Sorry about the low quality, I only have my cellphone for this)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Looks like a cat to me. :colbert:

Make sure it's clean, and check if there's any redness around it. If so, you may need to clean it and cone her until it heals properly. Check her nails(clip them) and see if they're filthy or blackened(that would normally be from ear goop, which would mean ear cleanings are needed). Also, a vet should take a look at it if it's anything beyond minor.

Edit: buy a goddamn camera

Thank you!
It seems like an old wound, and the inside of her ear looks purple, but she isn't in pain. I guess it that violet thing they put in animal wounds (I don't know how it is called in English). Her nails are clean, and she doesn't even have flies. That's why I have this theory she came from a nice home and somehow was abandoned. Currently she seems healthy, doing all those destructive things kittens love to do. I'm taking her to the vet this next week for a check out.

:( And my good camera died months ago. First mission is to buy a new one after I get a good job, and perhaps I'll post a picture here of all the cats I've rescued -including the stray one that thought my home was good enough for him to stay.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

A last question, I think my new kitten has nystagmus. I held her still today, and realized her eyes move back and forth, just slightly, it's barely noticeable. I did a small research, because my other cats don't have this. Should I be worried? Is she going to be okay, or is it going to affect her when she is older?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Thanks a lot Enelrahc, I'm betting it's a Siamese thing on her but I better ask the vet to be sure.
The reason I'm asking a lot, is because I'm aware of all the health problems breeds carry and I want to be prepared for any future surprises. I'll still ask a vet if she's pure or a mix. Also, this is my second year as a cat owner :) and I'm already loving them so much [No, I don't collect cats...one of them is a stray one that wandered in and decided to adopt me ,and my other two cats].

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Hey guys.
I'm very,very worried. What are the chances for my other cats to get Leukemia?
We found a small stray kitten a week ago in the backyard, me and my sister took care of him and fed him. We noticed he was too skinny and wasn't gaining weight,aside from having fever and coughing a lot. Today we went to the vet, got tested and came as positive in Leukemia.
He was too sick, and well, kitten is in a better place now.

Anyways, the vet told us to get the rest of our cats tested, starting with one that we adopted a month ago.

:( I just want some sort of reassuring. I dunno. They look healthy and alert,and are eating well...I just don't have an idea of what to do if any of them comes as positive.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

McKracken posted:

While this is true for people, cats can get leukemia via a transmissible virus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_leukemia_virus

I hope all your cats are okay Desperado Bones!

Thank you. So far the cats seem to be okay,there's no signs of sickness, still we are afraid they might be carriers of the virus. :(

(The tests are very expensive for us, and we have 3 cats that need it, so I'm a bit upset we are taking so long.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

HPL posted:

Of all the stuff I've bought for my cat, the cat bed has to be the biggest waste of money. Occasionally he'll sit on it for a little bit while he looks out the window, but that's about it. Fortunately I didn't actually pay that much for it.

That's the reason I am hesitant about buying a cat bed. I know my cats, and I know they LOVE my closet and my own bed over everything.