Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Can't you just keep their claws clipped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I would be focusing on stopping the door from rattling, surely you can jam a towel or something in there to stop that? If cat gets ignored for long enough he will give up.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

bltzn posted:

Why I'm skeptical about this and haven't tried it yet is the rattling comes from the top rollers hitting the track/housing it's in, since the housing is a bit too wide. I feel like stuffing something in there will prevent the rollers from rolling freely. But I guess I can try.

Well yeah but the idea would be to jam something in there just overnight and take it out every morning. It sounds like it would be less effort than setting up your increasingly complex fortress outside the door.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Most things other than clay won't work because of the size of the particles, I checked when I was researching potentially getting one. Tofu unclumped bits are too big to sieve through for example.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Why are you quarantining if they've been in a shelter? Is there a concern that they have a disease?

You can try introduce slowly but there is no guarantee that they will like each other even if you do everything "perfectly". Does you current cat have a history of getting on well with other cats?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ah yeah that makes more sense, "quarantine" made it sound like a super strict disease-related thing. It is good to have a separate room for the kitten at first, but you can do things like swap their bedding, and let them explore each others' spaces, and have them glimpse each other. Depends on how quickly your original cat stops freaking out about there being a New Cat. Expect hissing, hissing and growling is actually fine and how cats set boundaries with each other.

I can't really answer about the closet since I don't have a good sense of space without seeing it but remember kittens are going to want to jump around and play.

I've never really heard of cats having food aggression so much as more food motivated cats just pushing the other cat away to get at the feeder. The solution to that is to create an elaborate system so it's not possible for the eating cat to really be pushed away.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Countblanc posted:

New cat update - things aren't going fantastic, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure she still hasn't really eaten, she's had a bit of diarrhea and urine in her litter but nothing solid since day 1, and it feels like none of the food I have out for her is getting eaten up. I'm giving her the same things she had at the shelter in a few different bowls. She has also thrown up a few times, but it's just been bile, I haven't seen any kibble or the like in it. I moved her into my bedroom instead of the walk-in closet this afternoon so I'm hoping that being in a less stuffy space will help her out, even with frequently cleaning her box and rotating food it was getting pretty musty in her closet. She still cries for attention if I leave the room.

As for older cat, he hasn't really gotten any better. He saw her while I was moving her litter and such between rooms and went full hiss/growl mode. He didn't approach her thankfully but when he's normally an incredibly sweet cat it's pretty horrifying to see. His hair wasn't up and his ears weren't back so that's good, but it was still pretty ugly. Baby cat just hid behind her cat tree. I'm hoping with the room swap it'll give old cat some time to get used to the closet smells but given I've still caught him making bad sounds outside the door, I dunno.

I spoke with a vet yesterday afternoon about new cat's lack of eating and they told me to be concerned if she hasn't eaten by Sunday. Unfortunately with the holidays all the vets near me are closed tomorrow (and likely monday, hard to tell which updated their hours online). A friend suggested I try giving her some tuna in the meantime but I'm really just super stressed out between the eating concerns, the constant crying, and older cat's issues.

This all sounds very normal for cat introductions honestly. Growling and hissing is normal and good, chasing and attacking is bad but growling and hissing is how cats establish boundaries with a new scary thing. It shouldn't be horrifying, it is normal cat behaviour and will happen whenever you introduce cats pretty much.

Giving her tasty treats is also a good idea to make sure she eats something, but you will just have to accept that both cats will be scared and unhappy for a while, you've just made huge changes to both of their lives.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Chronojam posted:

I just rigged up a thing to send the Roomba out after the LR4 cycles using a cheap matter-over-thread door sensor. It sits inside the plastic cover by the USB port and has a hall effect sensor to detect a magnet that helpfully clings to one of the screws of the drum, so when that spins by it sends a notification.

The delay is set to fifteen minutes so it shouldn't bug them hopefully :ohdear:

This sounds like a great idea right up until one of them accidentally leaves some crap just outside the box.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tofu litter has been incredible to me, all the benefits none of the downsides.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Get child locks for your cupboards.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

cat posts.txt posted:

Did I get lucky? My cat doesn't mind me clipping her nails when she sits on my lap. She tolerates about 3 before she leaves, then I can finish them slowly over the course of a day or two.

Does anyone else have a cat that isn't a complete shitlord when it comes to nail trims?

I clip Pepper's claws by sitting cross legged and pulling her into my lap sitting person-style, then going snipsnipsnip on one paw, letting her go to eat a treat, grabbing her again to snip the next paw etc.

She purrs while I do it.

To be fair she was badly injured as a kitten and was handled all sorts of ways constantly while the vet fixed her up before I adopted to her, so she is extremely used to having anything done to her and just puts up with it. Can recommend adopting kitten from the vet.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

You might just have to accept that this is how cats are. It doesn't really sound like a disaster to me though? I think you're just having a hard time seeing your existing cat unhappy, which does make sense but is it just in the moment that she's being bothered or is she generally unhappy?

If your existing cat isn't displaying signs of significant distress, like hiding all the time or weeing where she shouldn't or generally acting unhappy even when she isn't being actively bothered, then she's probably fine.

The question is whether you want a second cat enough to deal with that and let them sort it out however and end up with whatever status quo they end up with, even if it means your first cat's life is a bit harder than it was before you brought the second cat home.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

This is making me significantly more wary of adopting two cats instead of just one. :ohdear:

Just get two who already like each other, that's the pro move.

Although yes most pairs of cats will be able to co-exist fine, it's cuter and easier when they're best buddies.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah this is the difficult question. She's generally OK, but she's no longer playful at all unless he's locked away. She used to actually love me to chase her around (she'd run around a bit and then lead me to her brush), and would chirp at me all the time when she wanted to play. All that behavior has completely stopped, which is upsetting. She'll tolerate me brushing her, and will occasionally play with a toy sort of halfheartedly, that's it. When he's locked away for the night I open the bedroom she and I sleep in, and she's very relaxed/comfortable on the bed in there. But there's no way to really give her a safe space during the day where she can get away from him, other than manually putting one of them in a bedroom and trapping them in there.

This sounds pretty familiar. They will generally sleep/ignore each other, can eat near each other (treats or wet food, he eats dry food too fast for us to feed them that together), etc... and there's only an occasional hiss and slowly backing off. But it's specifically his behavior wanting to play with her, starting with running directly at her or jumping on her from behind that kicks things off.

So she's still doing all her normal behaviours just with less enthusiasm than normal? That's like, amazing for one month in to a stranger invading her home. I really think you're way too worried about this.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My carrier technique for unwilling cats - first, don't open or move the carrier in their presence. Have it staged already, maybe in another room. Distract the cat with a treat, and don't try to grab it or give anything away, just act normal. Then, without warning, scruff + burrito the cat completely in a towel so it can't move or see, and swiftly put the cat in the career, towel and all. Best done with another person holding the carrier ready.

The bigger ther carrier the better, as well. And having a top opening as well as a front will make things easier.

You burrito one-handed while scruffing? What's the technique?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Hello. First-time cat owner and possible idiot.

My little guy hates being picked up. He's nervous around strangers but affectionate around me, chilling on my bed, rubbing up against my legs; but the moment you try to pick him up for even a single second he thrashes around like a bat out of Hell, scrambling, biting, scratching. The last time I took him to the vet to get vaccinated he was still a kitten, and it took me an entire hour to get him in the carrier.

Anyway, he's six-months-old and I need to get him neutered (I was explicitly told to wait that long by the vet). Please recommend me some method for wrangling or sedating him without losing both my arms or taking a million years. I love this little fella but I just had to cancel an appointment after he thwarted every single attempt to get him in the carrier.

For the record: I bought a new, larger carrier about a month ago in preparation for this event, leaving it out for him to explore and putting treats in there so he forms a positive association with it. I'll see him poke around it regularly and even occasionally wander fully inside, but lucky me he decided to only stand halfway inside today, and reacted poorly to my attempts to usher him in the rest of the way.

Oh god welcome to my life.

The most secure way I've found is to start feeding them a delicious treat in the carrier every night while sitting right next to the door so that they start to lose suspicion and go all the way into the carrier to eat the treat. Then on the required day you slam it closed and deal with the guilt of their howls of betrayal.

That's how I got my scaredycat into the carrier when I last moved house and absolutely had to make sure she went in on the exact day I needed her to.

Last vet visit I also had many postponed appointments while I tried multiple different methods I saw on youtube, but in the end I just simply grabbed her and held her in machinegun hold (one hand holding front legs and the other holding back legs) and carried her to the carrier and dumped her in (make sure to tip it upright before you grab cat) and slammed it closed.

If you take that route I recommend wearing several layers that cover your arms and neck. I did not and I Regretted that.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I can't recommend a top loading carrier enough for difficult cats, though it's still a tricky job cause they just try to jump out instantly

I use a top loader for the Good Child, who believes in non-violent protest only and will allow me to put her in it on her back and then gently push her head down after she rights herself while I zip it up.

I genuinely believe that the Less Good Child thinks her life is genuinely in danger when I try to get her in a carrier, she acts like she is fighting for her life. She is for sure an outlier though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Strays tend to be pretty food insecure, yeah. There are medical conditions that increase metabolism/hunger but the simpler answer is just that she's used to never knowing when her next meal is coming. You could try free feeding but some cats will waaaaay overeat with that.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Honestly if I was looking for a cat to be my cat's friend I wouldn't take one that was described as bullying another cat even a little bit. When I did the cat friend thing I specifically asked for a cat who is good with other cats and that's what they gave me.

Of course she's anxious as gently caress and terrified of humans but she was an excellent diplomat making friends with the resident cat and she does do her job of being a friend to wrestle with.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ok I am fully on board with home visit vets for difficult cats now. Last time one tried to examine Peridot she couldn't get near her because she hates and fears humans, but these ones were super confident despite my doubts. I managed to trap her in the bathroom and they were able to get in, sedate her, shave her mats off and get blood and urine samples for testing.

They also reckon if I make some changes to the layout of the spare room that she usually lives in they can grab her from in there which would be perfect since there is no way she will let me trap her in the bathroom again, she was already deeply suspicious this morning.

Anyway I'm just so relieved, her matting was the worst I've ever seen it and I'm sure she's going to be much more comfortable as a lion, even though we're starting winter weather here. I've taken out the heated cat bed already and hopefully she will remember it soon.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Some cats only like scratching vertically and might ignore a horizontal scratcher, but worth a go.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Cats don't usually like going new places unless they're exceptionally brave and adventurous. The usual process is to get a thing based on existing observations (scratching carpet? Scratching furniture? Which textures?) and hope your money hasn't just been wasted (it probably has been lol).

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pepper is a perfect angel, if I ignore her when she wants attention she will reach up and tap me on the arm with her paw. I did not train her to do this specifically she just did it one day and got such an effusive result (its so loving cute) that she realised it was a great idea and has done it ever since.

Equally if I wave my hand just in front of her face she knows that means that I simply can't pay her attention right now and she will stop trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for alternatives to cat nail clippers? I live by myself and my cat is not at all cooperative - I've historically taken him to the vet to get it done but the last few times have had mixed results. I just got back from a vet trip where they said he was simply too scared and uncooperative, even after having been given gabapentin a few hours prior (at the vet's request) and this isn't the only time this has happened. It's extremely stressful for me because he's also not the most well-behaved cat normally and having sharp nails leads to a lot of scratching and bleeding on my end. I'm sort of at my wits end, wrangling him for these vet trips is extremely taxing and having them fail half the time anyway just makes the whole thing feel futile.

He has a lot of cat towers and trees but none of them actually facilitate filing down his nails - they tend to be made of woven rope or similar material. Would something made of wood be an option? I also see things like pads with replaceable sandpaper but I wasn't sure how safe or useful those are.

What are you doing that he scratches you all the time?