Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wibble posted:

Whats the current goon recommended automatic litter box? For one cat.
I see https://www.litter-robot.com/uk/litter-robot-4.html and https://popur.com/ seem to be popular?

Are they worth it as they are a little expensive?

I think the litter robot is the only one I've seen really liked by people, but there's still issues with them. I have a 3, the 4 is out now, I'd just read reviews and watch youtube about it etc. You definitely still need to maintain the machine a little (cleaning) but it's nothing like having a normal litter box. If my 3 broke I'd buy another one immediately, probably try the 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm literally just now getting rid of my litter robot 4, because I hate it hate it hate it hate it. See my posts ITT for my complaints.

That said, if your biggest dislike is scooping cat litter and you don't mind throwing away a lot of plastic bags to deal with it, though, it does undeniably work as advertised. I wanted it for its other features, and wanted to use biodegradable bags, and that didn't work out.

I use these in the LR3 and have no complaints, they sure are bags.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Hm. How frequently do you change bags?

I have one cat, change bags every 4-6 days I would say. I bet if you had multiple cats, and thus couldn't let the LR wait fifteen minutes before rotating, the litter wouldn't be as dry as in my situation. Wet litter might make these bags degrade faster.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Khizan posted:

A family friend found a kitten after a storm and couldn’t keep her.

All the shelters were full and wouldn’t take her, so I have a kitten now.

Vet says four weeks old. She is so terrifyingly tiny. The itty bittiest cat.

Awesome! Thanks for taking her! Name?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have this one, no link because Canadian amazon and also it's not available at the link anymore:

I'm very happy with it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Quill eats the Tiki Cat "after dark" variety packs. They're hideously expensive. When I find them on sale a few times a year I spend more than a grand on it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Karia posted:

I adopted a stray about two weeks ago, and overall it's going great, except that she's the hungriest cat I've ever met. I feed her dinner and within fifteen minutes she'll be back to begging for more. She's a very small cat, about a year old, just a hair over 6 lb and the vet said her condition score is just about ideal. No sign of worms, though she's gotten medication for it just in case, and she's going to the bathroom regularly. I've been giving her about 7 oz of wet food per day, which comes out to about 140 calories. I've got a follow-up appointment with the vet early next week and plan to ask again there, but figure I'd ask here: is there any reason I should be feeding her more? Or is this just her needing to realize that she's not burning as many calories and that she'll be fed on a regular schedule?

- Sex: F
- How long have you had your cat? 2 weeks
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes
- What food do you use? Best Feline Friend wet food
- When was your last vet visit? 1 week ago, for ear infection
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors
- How many pets in your household? Just her!
- How many litter boxes do you have? 2

Nothing to add just wanted to say this is amazing, thank you for taking her in and please post her in the yospos cat thread.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yooo pics and pics in the yospos thread please

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Hey so uh have any of you ever had a cat get laryngitis?

Two days ago, my partner and I noticed one of our cat's meows had changed sound; when it comes time to eat, she usually gets all meowy, usually in response to one of the kittens also getting meowy and chatty.

At first, we thought, I wonder if she changed her meow to be more like the kitten, but yesterday her meow was still weird sounding and kind of quiet, so we took her in to the bathroom and put her in the tub, which is something that for sure gets her to meow because she thinks she's getting washed again (because she often gets poop on herself because she's not a bright girl), and sure enough, hoarse meow in response.

From what I've read, this is something that can just happen. None of her other behavior has changed; she's just as (anti)social and active as she usually is, she doesn't seem to be exhibiting any signs of stress or injury, she still makes dumb faces, and her eating habits haven't changed. She is about a year and a half old, and her and the rest of the cats are all indoor cats.

As it stands, we are giving it a few more days to see if anything improves or not before we book a visit to the vet on Monday.

I would treat this a little more seriously, are you able to get the cat in to be seen before Monday? Inflammation of the throat/airways can go bad very quickly in humans and I assume in cars as well. If this is truly inflammation of her larynx she might benefit from being in a humidified space like the bathroom with the shower on. Worth a shot! If she stops eating or drinking I would treat it as an emergency.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

We took your advice and scheduled a sooner appointment for her to be seen (which we just got back from about half an hour ago). The vet said she looks otherwise healthy, and they took some xrays to make sure there wasn't anything going on that wasn't immediately visible (there wasn't). So for now, they have prescribed some medicine for her to take for a week, and should she not show improvement after then, they would like her to come back to be examined under sedation so they can take a better look.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hey, sorry if it was a nothing visit but it's so much better than the alternative. I hope the medicine (oral steroid?) works and your cat is healthy again very soon!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

The official story is that cats don't recognize themselves in the mirror. Do any of you think your cat might? How about using the mirror to observe and make eye contact with you? I can't really speak strongly to the former, but the cat absolutely makes eye contact and watches what I do in the bathroom mirror and I was wondering if this is normal or wicked smart behavior.

Quill frequently uses mirrors about the home to avoid having to move more than she has to in order to see where she wants to see. She also likes to go about 2" from the mirror, facing it, meow like she's really hurt herself, and then look in the mirror as I approach to see if she's okay. When she sees me get close enough in the mirror she drops the act and does a jump 180 to slap me in the face. I don't know that she recognizes herself in the mirror or if she just thinks there's a cool other black cat in the mirrors that doesn't seem to cause trouble. She doesn't use the mirror to like look at her own back or something like that but she's not bothered at all by seeing her reflection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

My cat never bothers me about food, like she's never woken me up or meowed at me incessantly for food and sometimes I wonder what I'm missing out on. In the mornings she'll just jump on my bed and sleep on my legs until I wake up.

I feed her twice a day on a very loose schedule, breakfast is around 7am after I've gotten showered and finished making lunch for myself, and dinner is around 5:30-6:30pm, just a bit after I get home from work and veg out a bit.

Speaking of food, she eats tiki cat wet food exclusively. I like it cause it's basically pure meat and there's no filler, but it's also a bit expensive. Any recommendations for wet food that's similar but maybe a bit cheaper? I switch between pate and chunks, chicken/poultry mostly and some fish.

Weirdest thing about my cat is she doesn't drink water which I'm told is because of her wet food diet. I tried an electric fountain but resold it because she never touched it. I just gave up with water bowls and just mix warm water in with her food now so her food is more like soup. She does drink it all and the vet isn't worried about her being dehydrated so :shrug:

My cat eats only the after dark Tiki wet food, it is indeed expensive, my recommendation is to look now and again for deals (especially around christmas) and when you find a deal go loving hard. I spend over a grand on her food every time I find it on sale for 25% off.