Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is Nature's Miracle going to get rid of an old, dried stain? At first I thought there was something in the walls because I didn't smell the urea / ammonia, but I think it actually is a urine stain. Because of that, it's old. I really need to get this stuff out, but I want to make sure something like Nature's Miracle is going to work.

She hasn't done it since, at least as far as I know. I haven't caught her yet, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but are there any recommendations for "budget" level automatic cleaning litter boxes? I pay for pet expenses for the cat and dog I had with my ex as "child support" and my ex has a bad back so moving the litter box, scooping every day, and then moving it back to where the dog can't get tootsie rolls out of it is taking a toll. A friend of mine has one that looks like the Epcot Center that has a slide-out tray but it's like $400-500 and I can't afford it, but I don't know what the price range to expect for a decent one is.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just got a cat yesterday. For context, I've had cats before, but they were either family pets or my ex-wife handled the transition to a new home. Also the cat I had with my ex-wife had a heart murmur from the time we got her so we had constant vet advice on feeding and medication to handle it, my new cat doesn't have any health problems aside from a tooth that had to get pulled. He's a 3 year old cat from the shelter that seems like he was likely abandoned because he was already neutered and at a 5/9 on the BCS when he got picked up by animal control.

He hasn't eaten his food at all since I brought him home about 18 hours ago, and I'm worried. It's 90% the Science Diet that they fed him at the shelter, and 10% Blue that the shelter gave me along with the Science Diet. So it should smell like the food he's used to. Is there a way I should be showing him that it's his food and his bowl? I haven't found any urine or fecal matter outside the litter box so I think he's using it, but I'm also not seeing any distinct urine/poop in the litter box so maybe he hasn't had to go yet.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

He's been a mix of hiding and running around. Particularly doing the zoomies when I'm trying to GODDAMN SLEEP!

He's been accepting my touch, which is good, but I've got a small enough space that stuff is packed in almost every corner for him to hide in if he wants. Someone suggested putting the food and water in a semi-hidden spot. He was hiding under my bed when he first got here last night so I think I'll put the food and water there, not enough room for the litter box so I'll leave it where it is.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

He's gotten much more friendly, spends a lot of time sitting on top of the lizard's terrarium by my desk since it's by a window and a heat lamp. I put his food and water on there as well, now he's eating happily. He also took a piece of cheese (hiding a pill) yesterday and happily took a piece of seared unseasoned tuna from me today.

He also lets me hold him like a baby and rub his belly which I have never seen from a cat, he is incredibly cuddly although still a little jumpy.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

- Sex: M
- How long have you had your cat? 1 week
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes
- What food do you use? Science Diet/Blue Adult wet and dry food. Dry in the morning, wet in the evening.
- When was your last vet visit? 1.5 weeks ago at the shelter
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors
- How many pets in your household? Him and a bearded dragon in a terrarium
- How many litter boxes do you have? 1

Potentially hypochondriac new pet owner question: My cat has been hiding in the same little nook by the head of my bed for most of the past two days. He doesn't seem to be showing any signs of being in pain, he doesn't seem to be urinating or defecating there, he's just not really moving around much. Yesterday evening I brought him out in order to eat his food and he ate fine once he saw it was there. Same thing today when I fed him a little later than usual (around noon). He hasn't been drinking much water (some, not much) but he has super long whiskers and it's a small bowl so I got a giant mixing bowl for him to drink out of today in hopes that if his whiskers are uncomfortable with the small bowl that he'll be happier with the big one.

Once I get him out of his little nook, he'll hang out in the room I'm in, he doesn't run straight back to it, am I worrying over nothing? He got a clean bill of health from the vet a week and a half ago. He's being very affectionate, and the little nook is right by an outside wall not near any heat so it's not like he's just looking for a warm spot. On the contrary once he comes out into the main room he spends 90% of his time lying on top of my lizard's terrarium next to the heat lamp, but the past couple days I've had to bring him out of his nook before he goes there.

It's entirely possible that he's spending more time out and about at night while I'm asleep, I usually fall asleep with him lying against my arm and then he's back in the nook when I wake up.

I just read that I should have 2 litter boxes for one cat, I need to figure out where to put another in that case. I live in a small 1-bed the size of most studios so there's not a ton of space for another box.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, that's comforting. He's the sweetest cat I have ever known, super cuddly, when I'm in bed and he's in that nook all I have to do is look at him and put my hand midway between us and he comes out and starts headbutting me. I do wish he'd stop trying to lick my eyelids when he's grooming me though, that hurts.

He does bolt when I move too suddenly if he's on my lap in my chair or by my side in bed, though, he's still a little jumpy when it comes to that. Who knows, maybe his previous owner used to almost squish him in his sleep or something.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Update on my cat (Ansel) that was hiding like 75-80% of the time: He is now spending most of his time in the room with me either on his bed or on the top of my lizard's terrarium by the windows and heat lamps. Whenever I get in bed it's 2 or 3 minutes tops until he gets in bed and starts pacing around to figure out what part of my body he wants to cuddle up against. Sunday morning I laid in bed a while after waking up and he cuddled up against my chest with his head resting on my chin. He also handled being over at a friend's house well when I had to leave town for a couple days for work. I was worried about it, but he spent about 75% of his time under the friend's kotatsu. It's crazy to realize that it has only been three weeks since I picked him up, it feels like longer.

My friend that he was staying with says he seems like a Maine coon but I think at most he's a mix, he's got the big bushy tail and the big paws but he's only 10lbs and doesn't have the big chest floof or tufted ears. The shelter just described him as a domestic longhair but he was picked up by animal control, probably abandoned based on him having already been neutered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I finally got a brush for Ansel and brushed his back and sides, but I realized I'm not sure how to do his legs or belly without A: hurting him or B: getting flayed by his claws. Do those need to be brushed as well, or just the back and sides? It seems like the area around the legs has a lot of spots where the direction of the hair growth shifts so it can end up brushing against the grain which can't be comfortable.

Also: he does seem to have claws but they're very small, is that a thing with some cats or is it just likely that the shelter clipped them so well 4 weeks ago that they're only now starting to grow out noticeably?