Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Kinda need to vent. Our cat has a history of liver problems. She's on meds and fluids, pretty much under control. I'm away at college, my brother's moved out of town. Parents are away in Spain for a few weeks, so they got a family friend to catsit. Apparently this friend thought that her not eating and being completely lethargic for TWO DAYS was not cause for concern. My brother came home to visit, walked in the door, instantly noticed something was wrong, and IMMEDIATELY got her to the vet. She's staying there overnight, and will be alright, but if my brother hadn't come to visit, she could quite possibly have died. Highly elevated BUN, consistent with liver problems. loving hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

I adopted a stray about two weeks ago, and overall it's going great, except that she's the hungriest cat I've ever met. I feed her dinner and within fifteen minutes she'll be back to begging for more. She's a very small cat, about a year old, just a hair over 6 lb and the vet said her condition score is just about ideal. No sign of worms, though she's gotten medication for it just in case, and she's going to the bathroom regularly. I've been giving her about 7 oz of wet food per day, which comes out to about 140 calories. I've got a follow-up appointment with the vet early next week and plan to ask again there, but figure I'd ask here: is there any reason I should be feeding her more? Or is this just her needing to realize that she's not burning as many calories and that she'll be fed on a regular schedule?

- Sex: F
- How long have you had your cat? 2 weeks
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Yes
- What food do you use? Best Feline Friend wet food
- When was your last vet visit? 1 week ago, for ear infection
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoors
- How many pets in your household? Just her!
- How many litter boxes do you have? 2

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Thanks, all! That's what I figured, but this is my first cat where I'm the primary caretaker (and first cat adopted straight from the street rather than through a shelter!) so I'm a bit antsy and want to make sure she's taken care of properly.

VelociBacon posted:

Nothing to add just wanted to say this is amazing, thank you for taking her in and please post her in the yospos cat thread.

Will do!

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Anyone have toy suggestions that Anna can play with while I'm at work? I feel bad leaving her by herself, especially since my current place doesn't have a good view to watch for birds or whatever. I've given her a few catnip mice but she hasn't really reacted to them.

(And for the record yes I'd like to get a second cat, but since I'm moving in a couple months and Anna is still adjusting to being indoors I'd rather hold off on that for the moment.)

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Good points re: cat sleep schedules, all. This is just my first time taking care of a cat by myself and I want her to have a good life!

Things are going kinda rough right now: her ear infection was still bad at the last vet visit, so we changed antibiotics and also put her on steroids to reduce inflammation. It is working, but the steroids also make her hungry, literally all the time and it's making her kinda hard to engage with because unless she literally just ate then she'd rather beg for food than anything else. Playing? That can wait, feed me. Petting? Stop teasing and just feed me already. Sleeping? Wake up and feed me now. Fortunately tomorrow I get to start ramping down the dosage.

EDIT: Oh, but in positive news she will do this absurdly cute thing for treats. She's really careful about it, too, making sure not to nip me.

https://i.imgur.com/khLYCiQ.mp4

Karia fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 20, 2024