Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

All cats are kinda assholes. All cats are also good cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

gowb posted:

what do you do if a cat does not stop rubbing its dirty poo butt on your bed/chair/carpet/gf etc?

If it's because of issues with long hair, buy a cheap beard trimmer and shave the bit around their butthole. As long as you keep the shortest guard on it you should be able to get it plenty short enough without any real risk of cutting them.

If it's not because of their hair and more of age/fatness/etc leading to them not cleaning up properly, I'd probably just suck it up and hit them with a baby wipe every so often.

teen witch posted:

What I’m thinking might be best is to try it and see how it goes, but be ready for the worst (but also know that the worst might not happen).

In addition to stressing out your four cats repeatedly on every move, this is also going to stress the hell out of the three cats at your new place, as they'll have a revolving parade of cats coming in and out of their territory all the time. There is no situation in which this shared cat custody thing works out to the benefit of the cats.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 25, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Sydin posted:

I have to wait until Mel is sleeping and then quickly scoop her up - usually swaddled in her blanket so she can't jump out - bring her into the shower and close the door, and then have my roommate follow behind me and throw the carrier over the shower door in. Then it's a five to ten minute fight to force her into the carrier, because she will constantly hook her claws into the edges and try to force her way back out. Multiple scratches every time. I have tried everything over the years to make this situation better: different carriers, treats in the carrier every day for her to find, eating in the carrier, toys in the carrier, nothing works. She has a sixth sense for when I actually plan to close her up in there and she fights me to the bitter end over it.

Thankfully she generally only needs to leave the house twice a year: once for her check-up, and once to come with me to my parent's for Christmas.

Shove the whole blanket bundle into the carrier while she's still swaddled and let her work herself out. She'll manage it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Somebody probably just made it at home. They're easy to make, only takes the most basic of tools and woodworking skills. I've got a big square of old carpet in the garage waiting for me to feel inspired.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I run a white noise machine at night playing thunderstorm noises, and I also give my cat a treat before I go to bed. My cat has taken this to mean that thunderstorm noises mean that it is time for a treat, so every time we get a storm she comes up to figure-eight around my ankles because she heard thunder and that means that it is time for treats.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Maybe try mixing a bit of unsweetened canned pumpkin into the food or something? It's used for constipated cats because the extra fiber helps things get moving along, but the extra fiber can also helps firm things up when they've got the runny shits.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you can, don’t put the water next to the food. It really helps keep the water clean, and cats do not need a drink with their meal.

My fountain is just whatever cheap Petmate one the grocery store had. Every week or so I take it apart and run it through the dishwasher, and take the pump apart and scrub it with a toothbrush. The cat gets a plain water bowl that night. The actual cleaning takes maybe 5 minutes.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Have they used other scratching posts before? Some cats are picky and only like certain ones. My cat has no interest in cardboard scratchers or carpeted things, but she loves the sisal rope ones.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My cat’s bed is a folded pair of sweatpants that I left on top of the dresser one day. She decided that was her spot and I didn’t have the heart to object. Also, her favorite toy is just a sheet of regular printer paper crumpled up into a ball.

IMO the best toys to buy are some wand toys for you to use when you play with the cat. Get some mice and whatnot for independent play, sure, but don’t be surprised when they prefer to play with literal garbage.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

kw0134 posted:

I would add that if you have nice furniture you will need a scratching post or twelve because otherwise a cat will shred your stuff if you give them no other outlet. If you have all Ikea and don't care then your couch sides can double as their scratching post.

You also want to try different kinds of scratchers. My cat wants nothing to do with cardboard or carpet ones, but she loves the sisal rope scratching posts.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

For my cat, I’d put a smallish cardboard box on the scale, tare it, and then just leave it there. Later on that day I would find her sleeping in the box and note the weight.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Crocobile posted:

I got my cat last year and he’s fluffed out substantially this winter (medium hair). These last few months, every few weeks or so, I come home to skid marks on the floor and I have to hold him hostage in the bathroom to pull turds out of his butt hair…

It’s not diarrhea. His poops are pretty solid but they seem to get tangled up in the dense hair around his tail and haunches. He’s not as thorough or frequent at cleaning himself as the last cat I lived with either.

Is the solution to brush out his haunches more thoroughly? Or get him a sanitary trim? Is that something people do themselves or do at the vet or?

You can do it yourself if you can get the cat to hold still enough for you.

IMO the best process for it is to get a cheap beard trimmer, put a short guard on it, and just buzz the problem areas. Fast, easy, no fussing about with combs and scissors, and you can operate the trimmer with one hand so you have a free hand to hold the cat. Just don't mix up the cat butt trimmer with one people use on their face.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My cat does not like it if you wear socks in the house, and if you do so she will stalk and pounce on your besocked feet. She's fine with shoes, bare feet, or slippers, but socks? Socks must be hunted.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Definitely fly them in the cabin if you go that route, and also talk to your vet. They might be willing to prescribe a dose of gabapentin or something similar to mellow them out through the flight.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That type of cat is what’s known as a “good cat”.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

pandy fackler posted:

She hasn't ever used one in her lifetime and I'm nervous about making too many changes since she's always been litterbox perfect, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

If you’re worried about this maybe put it out as a secondary litter box for a bit and let her get used to it? FWIW, my cats have always made this switch without issue and it solved all the litter-kicking and butt-overhanging issues instantly.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've got this Catit one and it's been very solid. Quiet, holds a lot of water, very easy to clean.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

A family friend found a kitten after a storm and couldn’t keep her.

All the shelters were full and wouldn’t take her, so I have a kitten now.

Vet says four weeks old. She is so terrifyingly tiny. The itty bittiest cat.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I have no idea yet. I am terrible at names.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

With a kitten that small found out in the street, don't delay doing a vet appt if you haven't already.

Yeah, I took her the day that I picked her up. Vet says four weeks old, so too young for shots but her heart sounds good and she got the dewormer.

Really, I got super lucky with her because she's about as tiny as it's possible for a kitten to be without requiring a ton of extra work. She's got all her kitten teeth in, she can eat dry food, drink water from a bowl, uses the litterbox by herself, etc. So she's got all the adorableness of a tiny little kitten without most of the extra work they require.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Honestly, my cats have always ignored purpose bought cat toys in favor of things like "a crumpled up sheet of paper" or "a cardboard box I was too lazy to throw out".

With that said, my hermit kitten has found a new shell.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It can also depend on what the scratcher is made of. My older cat has no interest at all in cardboard scratchers of any variety, but has happily shredded her way through several sisal wrapped scratching objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've always been super lucky in that all my cats have responded well to free feeding. All I do is keep the bowl full of dry food and they eat responsibly enough to maintain a decent weight.