Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

What's the deal with airline food? What's the deal with cats stealing stuff and moving it to different rooms? The thing where they pick up socks and howl and stand over it, looking dazed. She always did that before I moved in with my boyfriend, but in the last few days she's ramped it up. Yesterday's inventory: bath towel, dish towel, a pair of shoelaces, an empty pack of cigarettes she plucked out of the garbage, some socks. Specifically, she does this more often if we've fallen asleep or gone out to get groceries, but she likes to do it while our roommate is home and awake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Arriviste posted:

It can be the most :kimchi: thing in the world to witness. Luther relocates things, but without the yowling (he brings me the mail from the drop slot downstairs now instead of just trying to open it.) Only my female cats have done that. I just assumed it was some latent mommy urges to transport kittens or bring them food but the wires are crossed with a spay. Only one of my girls who did that was also a fetch-player, but late-night/lonely pack-and-yowl was a different behavior for her altogether.

I love that he brings your mail. My childhood cat used to bring pairs of socks and drop them in front of the door, it was very convenient. I think I'm also in agreement about the crossed-wires-after-spay idea, because I've never had a male cat do that, and our cat now is so ginger when she picks things up, so if it's a prey thing than she's a lovely hunter (she is).

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Tinycat Chat: Take him to the vet as soon as you can. If the stress is so much that it causes issues, he probably didn't have long. In any case, I had a few kittens like that a few years back when I was fostering. After a few weeks of force-feeding this weird fattening slurry my mom cooked up, they all gained enough weight to be adopted out. So, there's always hope.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

A few years back, my ex and I rescued a cat from a friend who sucked at taking care of cats. We were about to move across the country, so we gave her another friend. My ex came back to visit her, and the cat was half her original weight and missing a lot of hair, plus a lot of dental problems, so we packed her onto a plane and took her home. For the first THREE MONTHS, she would sit in the edge of the couch and hook her claw into the soft spot on the back of your knee and just stare at you, as if daring you to try and remove the nail. She was aggressive with other cats, and would hide on top of the fridge, refusing to eat. She'd bite, hiss, etc. I considered having her put down. Eventually, she calmed down and became very annoying in an adorable way. Some of them take a while to chill out, sadly. (Also, some of them are just screamers.)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Our cat is perfectly healthy so all the peeing just means that she's a jerk.

... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, she had a really bad bladder infection last month - one that probably meant peeing = pain! So she's made bad associations with the litterbox, in all likelihood. We're going to try getting a second box for her and placing it elsewhere, see if we can't train her back into good litterbox habits.

She's got some low-level kidney issues - the same kind that most/all cats entering old age have, and maybe some small stones, but the vet can't do anything for those. The kidneystuff may make her pee more than normal, which could also be freaking her out.

All in all, we have a mostly healthy expensive jerk-cat.

Question time: Does anyone have recommendations for starting to use Feliway to dissuade peeing behaviour?

I used to it dissuade aggression but for some reason, in a house with four cats, it only worked on the male. It worked so well I thought he was dead; I literally shook him for five horrifying seconds until he opened up one eye and drooled on me. He was fine, it just worked too well.

In my experience in regards to "I peed once and it hurt so now I piss in the laundry", it's super easy to train them back into getting to use the box. They have short memories. The Feliway might make the process quicker, but in my experience what works well is: Brand new litter box, completely new area of the house. I even switched litter brands, and also removed any sort of clothing from the floor that she started to associate with going pee on.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

darkforce898 posted:

Came home to one of the cats hiding in the corner furthest from the one open window we have. Turns out there were town fireworks tonight.

Now he wont eat. Sigh. Cats... time to get another diffuser

:allears: Canadian, are we?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I agree with the trimming. Also, occasionally wipe the area with a damp paper towel; I did this with one of the girls and she eventually picked up on how to do it herself (that or she was sick of me doing it).

darkforce898 posted:

Nope. Most towns in my area do town fireworks this time of year. Ours is less than a mile away so it gets loud inside the house.

If he wasn't so scared it would be cute. He now thinks the window is an angry animal and tries to sneak up on it and attack it.

Oh, weird. Some people let off early Canada Day fireworks here, and our cat hid under the couch all night. It was super sad.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Zaftig posted:

My litter box is next to the toilet, so my cat likes to use her box while I'm on the toilet. I pet her while she's using it. It's a weird, gross bonding experience.

My old cat, Igor, used to insist on peeing while someone else was in the bathroom, and eventually, when other cats were trying to use the litterbox. I don't know if it was :3: or if he was an rear end in a top hat.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Ferremit posted:

Well thats a new standard in "What the gently caress cat?" we've reached tonight.

She scared the poo poo out of herself.... With her own poo poo. As in full crouched down, hissing, yowling, puffed up attack mode scared.

At a pile of poop in the litterbox. That the stupid dense fucker didnt even bury. Because she was now terrified of it.

Sigh. And then for some reason she associated ME with being scared of her poop and spent the rest of the evening fleeing from me whenever she saw me.

At least she doesnt go off her nut about the dog any more

Outstanding.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Deteriorata posted:

You could try covering the corners of the ottoman with something annoying, like aluminum foil or tape with the sticky side out. Anything to make the experience unpleasant so she finds someplace else to scratch.

This. There's a type of very wide double-sided tape for this exact reason. Ssscat only works well if you're constantly there, or if she's only doing this while you're around. Our cat, for example, likes to scratch doorframes, but only to get attention; otherwise she uses the tree or the couch (which no one cares about). And agreed on the touching her paws; all she's going to think is "everytime I look at this thing, that guy touches my hands, gently caress this".

Derail: the Ssscat is my favourite because the back of the box shows a baby being attacked by a cat in its crib, and it always made me laugh

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Sounds like a legitimate issue. Personally I'd get a second opinion, not just because it's generally considered in humane but also because it's an expense and some vets will nickel and dime you. It would suck for you and the cat if you paid for an expensive surgery that's might be detrimental to the cat.

My cat got fleas somehow despite being indoors only. Treated him with advantage and he seems to be doing fine, haven't found any fleas on him since. But he now has a couple bald spots on his neck. I've read that this is common in cats with fleas (he's also longhaired and prone to matting), should I bring him in for a checkup anyway?

He might have scratched away some of his hair, but maybe take him in anyway in case he had a reaction to the medication. It's unlikely, but you may as well.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Kanfy posted:

My 10-year-old was the most energetic and kitten-like little thing all his life up until about a week ago, and today almost out of nowhere we'll have to put him down after a few days ago it was discovered he had diabetes and ketoacidosis that he no longer has the strength to recover from. Lost my other (older) one a year ago at around this same time too and I've now decided that summer is the worst goddamn time of the year.

RIP you weirdos, take care of your cats all.

I'm sorry to hear about your kitties. They were adorable.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Enhydra lutris posted:

I am afraid to yelp in the presence of the Cat; it may associate quick shrill Sounds with Small Rodents (its Natural Prey Creatures); thus identifying me as a Small Rodent; and a Foe.

HE'S HERE, I FEEL SO BLESSED

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

meristem posted:

You tell me.

This is absolutely the last picture I will post, but I did not want to end his story on a downnote. :3: ...He's totally an anime, isn't he? I have no idea how long he's going to live, and what will come of him - all 220 grams/7.76 oz of him - but for now, he seems cautiously optimistic about his future. That will have to suffice, I guess.

I can't handle this cat's face. Please continue posting pictures.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

SynthOrange posted:

If he's not getting enough milk from his mom, you might have to look at getting kitten formula and feeding him. As for company, if mom cat doesnt want to hang out with him, a stuffed toy, or a hot water bottle with those fleecy coverings will make a decent substitute.

Also, if he's old enough to eat solids, putting chicken giblets/chicken breast/Esbliac[sic?] is an easy way to get them to gain weight fast. Fat people are also a good substitute IME cats love fat people.e: I meant fat people are a good substitute for warm moms, not food

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Huntersoninski posted:

Yeah. Ozma was a farm cat before I took her in. She was antsy and destructive for the first month-ish I took her in, but mysteriously chilled out when I built up a decent stock of stuff for her to climb, boxes and cubes for her to hide in, toys I could entertain her with, and toys that she could play with by herself when I wasn't around (and another cat to be her buddy).

e: neither she nor Pizza have any interest in going outside

Pizza is a Good cat name

My old cat, Shelley, was obsessed with going outside. She was not super interested in playing, whether it be self-directed or with a person. Got another cat. Interest in going outside waned severely. The second cat escaped twice; both times, he fell asleep a foot outside the door, and was reluctant to go anywhere else. After he passed, we took Shelley on regular walks and that seemed to satisfy her until we got another cat later on.

I would just sort of disagree with the idea that cats "miss" anything because they have brains the size of walnuts, and the idea that they pine over a different time just seems sort of unreasonable to me.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Actually, just to continue the rant, I'm going to suggest that people who think their cats have some deep-seated desire to roam the outdoors that cannot be abated by like, paying attention to them and giving them toys/attention are usually the same people who won't get their cat fixed because they secretly associate their cat's fertility to their own. "I can't get Pickles neutered, he will be less of a man :( Where will his ego come from without his little fuzzy dongles, tell me"

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Deteriorata posted:

This is getting a bit ad hominem. You don't need to demonize people you disagree with.

We have three cats. One essentially lives outdoors during the summer. She spends most of the day sitting at the open garage door, watching and smelling all the stuff. She does not hunt or roam, just enjoys being outside.

Our other two cats are free to go outside whenever they want to, but almost never do. They prefer to hang out in the house.

Cats have different personalities. Some are absolutely apeshit about being outside, others don't really care. Most can be trained to be content indoors, but not all.

Ad hominem would suggest that I am directing an insult at a person during a pertinent argument, which I am not. That expression cannot be applied to me simply mocking unnamed people who are absurd, unless you're personally identifying with the statement, in which case, I am sorry. I guess.

Don't accuse me of using a logical fallacy if you're going to cite anecdotal evidence for why letting cats out is okay. Just because your cats don't pass certain areas doesn't mean that there are not people who just let their cats out and sort of forget about them.

Also, gently caress that. I will gladly demonize idiots who can't be arsed to fix their pets or make sure they're safe. gently caress those people. They shouldn't be allowed to have cats.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I don't want to turn this into a thing, but what the gently caress kind of countryside are you living in that doesn't have predators? I grew up in Alberta, and we still had coyotes and deer ready to gently caress up cats, not to mention people out in the sticks complaining about wolves and poo poo eating their cats.

VVV: There's no animals in Europe, theory confirmed

cash crab fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 19, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

ryan_woody posted:

Xpost from the PYF cat pictures thread:

Meet our new kitten Loki! He has certainly turned into a mischievous little poo poo, so it may have been a self fulfilling prophecy.

We've had him for about 5 days confined away from our doggy, letting them get used to each other's smells. Our dog is a bit of a bully breed, but is only curious of cats, never aggressive. Any tips before we start the introduction in a few days or so?

:3: I love his little triangle head. Anyway, intros: I find taking a whole couple of hours to monitor them during the really exciting phases to be best.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

You know how when cats are really upset or threatened, all their fur stands on end? My cat does this when she's very happy. I looked it up and a few people said it might be over-stimulation, but I'm not usually touching her when this happens. For example, if I open a bag of spinach, or I am taking a bath, or during other events she seems to find pleasurable for some reason, her whole body poofs out and her tail gets very large. She's usually purring, and the rest of her body language seems good. If I go to touch her, it seems like she's very happy about this, but she also gets sort of nippy and then after, she starts having the crazies. So, it's plausible that she's overstimulated but I don't really know what I'm supposed to do. Anyone else seen this sort of thing?

Also, toychat: Receipts! I threw one for her the other day and she got so excited she cracked her face on a wall. She also loves the little eos lip balms, probably because they're expensive AND not for her. Foil is good, so are pens. She loses her marbles if you wave a pen about a foot over her head.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Alright Cat FAQ Thread I have a slight dilemma that I will need to go into a little backstory so please forgive the long post.

Fourteen years ago I rescued three kittens on a rainy night from a storm drain under a loading dock at a mall in my hometown. Originally I didn't want these because I already had one and didn't want to take three more on. Long story short I couldn't get anyone to take them in and one was weak enough that I soon became papa nursing them back to health. The three became two when I moved and my mom wanted to keep one. The brother and sister named Khan and Sissy basically spent every minute of every day around each other since. Having their spats every now and again but they got along. Sissy has always been the talker and Khan the silent one.

Well a month ago Khan developed an upper respiratory infection and after a visit to the vet quickly went downhill. He responded to the meds but a week later had trouble breathing. After another trip to the vet the gave him an xray and has a darkness in his lungs and they diagnosed him with a lung infection. Now with more meds to give him I spent the weekend nursing my buddy but his breathing never seemed to improve and by Monday he had stopped eating. Another trip to the vet and another xray showed it getting worse. We transferred him to the 24 hour ER where they still had no idea what was wrong and to find out they were going to have to do about 4k in tests. On top of that they gave him a lung relaxer and had him in an oxygen cage and he hadn't improved in the two hours we had been there. I couldn't afford that and my wife and I had to make the difficult decision to let him go. As soon as he passed red fluid came out his nose and mouth and I realized my buddy had been basically drowning in fluid all weekend and that made me feel even worse.

So now I am left with his sister who has never been without her brother for 14 years and now has become extremely needy and attention hungry. My wife and I thought that we should get another pet to give her company but she has always hated other cats/dogs that come into her territory. One time I had a room mate move in with his cats and they never got a along and would scrap and she never really got used to them. We also have a large picture window and she often fights with the neighborhood cats through it. So really I don't know what to do. I know shes lonely but I don't know if she will adjust to another animal or just be a jerk to it forever. Also I don't want to stress her out to much and risk her getting sick and losing her because of her age.

So basically I'm in a Catch 22 she is lonely but doesn't like other animals, but I worry about her being lonely. Should I get another animal and give a good long shot or just let her live out her years without being bothered with another cat/dog.

:( I'm really sorry. If it helps, I found myself in a similar situation. I decided to get another cat, and it didn't work out well. Cat number one was pretty grumpy. My parents went through the same thing around the same time, and didn't "replace" the other cat. The remaining cat lived out the last year alone and she was a little clingy, but she got over it after a few months. They were both in their late teens when they passed.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Watch your cats for a few days while they get used to the flap. I always take the doors off covered litter boxes because some of them have gotten stuck in them.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Mocking Bird posted:

15 year old sweet as pie black kitty at the humane society that I have visited every week for the last month just had his adoption fee waived. He has the cutest little meow, and is a total little gentleman :ohdear:

But where will I put a little box in my house?

:3: Congrats! I keep the box in the bathroom, but anywhere private is good. I used to keep another one under a table in my room draped with a little privacy curtain for another one of the cats who was a bit of a nervous guy.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Loving Life Partner posted:

My kitty was a craigslist special, i got her when she was 8 weeks old and she seems healthy, I've taken her to the vet a few times and she's getting spayed in a month or so, but at 5 months old, she's still super clingy and cuddly, which is about 90% awesome, except at night if I let her sleep in the bed with me/under the blankets close, she won't sleep just lick nonstop, it drives me mad to the point that I have to give her the boot. The hell is going on? Is there a way to get her to chill out?

Is it woolsucking behavior? It's pretty common. You might have to wait it out, but I had a cat that just progressed to good old fashioned pica later on. Which was also manageable, but sort of a pain.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

meet my new children, carol and tandy. in the 40 hours since i have had them they have somehow turned on bittorrent web (??), established a hierarchy (i am at the bottom) and developed a very strict routine. all hail carol and tandy.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

it is SUPER hard to eat yogurt around them

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

oh, they will never know the sweet taste of greek yogurt if i can help it.

side note, i've taken care of dozens of kittens through foster over the years and these are the first ones that don't smell like a bible story when they take a dump. my only beef so far is one of them tries to clean the inside of my ear while i sleep.

e: i remembered a question. they're very happy to let me cram my fingers in their ears, hold their paws, etc. they don't even mind when i check their teeth, but i want to get them used to me putting my fingers in there for future brushing. two problems: a) they think this is a game where they get to chew on me, and b) their mouths are just a little too small for my to fit my finger near their gums. should i just settle for gentle touches on the teeth for now to get them used to it, or should i use the corner of a cloth or something?

cash crab fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 21, 2023

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i also found that leaving cups of water around the house helps, too, but that can get irritating depending on how much work you want to put in. but there is that classic complaint of, "they won't drink from their dish but they will drink from the water on my bedside table" i have taken advantage of a few times.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

omg her FACE

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

mine are in the habit of dancing on top of me after i go to bed which is fine because i usually have to pee before i actually have to settle down but it is really silly and very specifically timed. they'll be napping and wake up specifically for this event.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

peeps got cheeks

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

two questions:

1) i ordered a baby gate soon after the kittens were adopted, which of course was not as advertised and was too small, so i can't install it in the stairs leading out of my apartment. tandy in particular will often get this "oh boy! where are we going?" attitude when i try to leave and follow me outside which i am obviously not even a little bit cool with since they will be sealed inside my apartment until they are 21*. he feigns a fascination with my doormat every time i come back in and i am just worried one of these days he is going to dart out of the house and join a gang or whatever.

do you think adding bitter apple or something to my door frame, or some other citrus scent would help? i just don't want anything strong enough to waft over near the couch, since that's their main hangout area. i just want to reduce the appeal of the door.

2) i've heard from several sources that free-feeding is suggested until they're about one years old, and carol feels slim but tandy sort of feels like holding a really small christmas ham. he was quite frail when i got him and had some stomach issues (which we've treated) but should i be concerned that he's so dense and she's not? they eat more or less the same amount, except i see him eat slightly more dry food (dry food is always available, and they eat a small amount of wet food a few times a day as well).

*: i told them that when they turn 21 in human years they can have a beer, gamble and join the military if they want to.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i don't he wants to "go outside" as much as he just wants to know where i am going and to come with me. maybe the saving grace here is he seems to know either his name or my voice well enough that he'll always come over whenever i say his name so if he does get out, it won't be too hard to catch him.

the only problem with the airlock is the stairs that lead out are a concrete set of walls with railings, hence why the baby gate didn't work.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Kittens, like babies, are best a little chubby and can eat as much as they want. If you think one isn't eating enough then try feeding without others around in case of cats being jerks. I've never come across a kitten who underfeeds itself and I did a few years of rescue when my health was better.

mine aren't underfeeding themselves but they also definitely don't gorge themselves, either. i feed them a small teaspoon of wet food about three times a day; any more than that and they don't finish it, and it gets a crust on top and they won't touch it after that. they also get dry food but they only take a few bites at a time while they're playing, never at the same time. i'm personally just curious as to why tandy is built like a JBL speaker and carol is not. they're getting weighed today at the vet, so i'll see how much he's packed on since i got them. with her height they might actually be even by now.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

that would explain why she's developing long hair and he is not

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

one of my kittens has a distressing habit of trying to chew on my body jewelry, particularly when i am sleeping. it's accompanied by purring and biscuits so i am assuming it's an affectionate thing where he thinks he is grooming me but it's super annoying. i respond by yelping and pushing him away but he just comes right back as if i just made a mistake. this also occasionally happens during the day after meals, and he always has dry food available so i don't think it's exclusively to wake me up for food.

i don't particularly want to keep my door closed at night because a) i like having them around when i sleep and b) it gets super hot in my room if i do. also i can't take my jewelry out since most of them are permanent installations that require professional assistance to remove. what other options do i have?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

that's what im sort of wondering. i am going to try the blanket but he isn't suckling, he seems to be grooming. im flattered but goddammit.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

small pair of jeans perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

update: i bit the bullet and took out all my jewelry. tandy still woke me up at six am to nibble my earlobes. apparently my friend also has this problem so i think this is just my life now. Oh well