Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

no advice, but that sucks so bad, i am so sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

baking soda is super, super helpful for odor. fwiw i also clean mine like once to twice a day.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Hyperlynx posted:

Wait what. But what's the benefit of an automated litter tray if you've still got to manually clean it daily?

sorry, miscommunication, i have a regular box but i just think a combination of baking soda and more regular cleanings does help a lot.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

my brother's cat gummyworm figured out fetch one day and just graduated to larger objects. hth

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

weird question. one of my cats gets like. very into covering his pee, always steps in it and gets out of the box with a chunk of pee stuck to his foot, which he has at least one occasion wiped off into my bed. neither of this love this. it is only pee and it is only him. i use an extra light litter because i am small and i can't carry most conventional litters, and besides they they're usually quite dusty. any suggestions for litter brands or some other modification?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i think walnut is the only thing available in my area but i would still have to transition. last i changed my litter one of them peed on my bed (again, no one was happy that day). maybe i could put out a mini pan in the bathroom and see if they like it instead of trying to change their main litter out?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

You could also try trimming their pawpad's fur to reduce the chances of things sticking.

he has very smooth socks so there isn't much to trim. his sister doesn't but she's less clumsy.

also an alternative solution i was batting around seems to have been helping: i bought them a much larger litter box. they still had their medium sized one from when i first got them and the giant one helps for some reason. i was cleaning the old one about twice a day and it would still seem "full" as of about two weeks ago when this started happening so i think it was a volume issue. once they're adult sized i think i'll try the walnut or just get them an extra box.

How! posted:

One of my cats decided she likes belly rubs while she eats, so she’ll sit by her bowl until you walk by, then she flips on her back and tries to eat upside-down while getting scratches.

🤷‍♂️

:3: they're so loving weird

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i finally trained tandy to stop suckling on my ear/puffing his whiskers out and dragging them across my face in the middle of the night. he learned that doing this means he is ejected from the bed, so now we just spoon. my only training tool is "i am moving you now" which is working super well for 99% of issues.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i used compressed air to disengage them from the door when i first got them. that helped a lot. you just need to make sure they only hear a sound and don't get blasted with any air.

as for the stove top, tandy also jumps onto the table if i have people over for games. in this instance i take him into a different room, give him a toy and interact with him a bit since i assume the sudden interest in the table is "hey why aren't you looking at me, the most special boy in the world". but see if the air will work too.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Why yes, I do have a new kitten. Why do you ask?

The offender in question:

my hands look like this so her mouth can be filled with the blood of her enemies (anything that moves)

i have had to yell at guests for letting tandy play with their hands. it's cute now, it will not be cute when he's like 15lbs of pure muscle.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

does anyone else have cats that, instead of greeting you, both run to the nearest scratcher and start going to town while making pointed eye contact

it has very "the boss is here look busy" vibes

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

Isn't it just them being excited and having an outlet for the excitement they're feeling?

🥺 oh. that is nice.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

move and distraction seems to be so helpful for my more poo poo-stirring kitty for sure

the other one has been dealing with intermittent chronic diarrhea and blood after defecation basically since i got her. countless tests and near 1.5k later, plus a second opinion and the vets are still shrugging at me. she's otherwise fine but this is frustrating and scary. a friend of mine has a cat that's been dealing with this for years, same boat: tests, tests, nothing.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

cat posts.txt posted:

Did I get lucky? My cat doesn't mind me clipping her nails when she sits on my lap. She tolerates about 3 before she leaves, then I can finish them slowly over the course of a day or two.

Does anyone else have a cat that isn't a complete shitlord when it comes to nail trims?

tandy straight up spreads out his toes when i grab his feet. he also loves being washed but he's a shitlord in every other respect

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

cash crab posted:

move and distraction seems to be so helpful for my more poo poo-stirring kitty for sure

the other one has been dealing with intermittent chronic diarrhea and blood after defecation basically since i got her. countless tests and near 1.5k later, plus a second opinion and the vets are still shrugging at me. she's otherwise fine but this is frustrating and scary. a friend of mine has a cat that's been dealing with this for years, same boat: tests, tests, nothing.

finally ran a PCR, and it came back positive for three separate things, including giardia, which i kept insisting to the vet i thought she had. i luv 2 b right. she also has a cold, and a secondary infection stemming from the giardia.

what's super annoying is the last vet ignored me when i said i wanted to test for giardia, tested her for parvo instead (even though i mentioned they had both been tested already) and rolled my eyes at me when i said i couldn't afford a full blood panel and internal imaging. this could have been taken care of nearly two months ago. i feel like she missed out on some integral growing because of this.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Precambrian Video Games, what cleaning agent are you using to clean the couch?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

the reason i ask is because sometimes they'll pee in the same area if the proteins in their urine are left over

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

take her to the beach and let her find rare metals and coins for you

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

any tips on teething?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

PIZZA.BAT posted:

My vet sends me home with a small bag of greenies after every checkup so I took that as a sign that it's a good brand. My cats love them and can distinguish the crinkle of a greenie bag vs all other types of crinkles

mine can't. one of them cut me because i had a bag of skittles. he was very let down when i let him smell one.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

also, and this isn't gimmick posting, but do you know who else loves greenies?

raccoons.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

cash crab posted:

meet my new children, carol and tandy. in the 40 hours since i have had them they have somehow turned on bittorrent web (??), established a hierarchy (i am at the bottom) and developed a very strict routine. all hail carol and tandy.

almost four month update with carol and tandy!

they officially have personalities. a friend told me tandy reminds her of steve holt. carol is very loving weird. they have cost me way more money than i ever expected mostly thanks to carol's tenuous health for a while, who seems to be out of the woods now and is currently on her second breakfast. neither of them appear to be trying to get a job yet.

e: the weird litter problem tandy had is (mostly) resolved, and i was never able to install a baby gate properly, but they have no interest in going outside at all. for them it is simply the portal in which mother goes to disappear for a while.

cash crab fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 14, 2024

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

weirdly enough, i went out to get one cat fixed and the one at home took one whiff of her and wouldn’t let ME touch him for days. he was also significantly upset while she was gone and i came home without her for a few hours.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just got a cat yesterday. For context, I've had cats before, but they were either family pets or my ex-wife handled the transition to a new home. Also the cat I had with my ex-wife had a heart murmur from the time we got her so we had constant vet advice on feeding and medication to handle it, my new cat doesn't have any health problems aside from a tooth that had to get pulled. He's a 3 year old cat from the shelter that seems like he was likely abandoned because he was already neutered and at a 5/9 on the BCS when he got picked up by animal control.

He hasn't eaten his food at all since I brought him home about 18 hours ago, and I'm worried. It's 90% the Science Diet that they fed him at the shelter, and 10% Blue that the shelter gave me along with the Science Diet. So it should smell like the food he's used to. Is there a way I should be showing him that it's his food and his bowl? I haven't found any urine or fecal matter outside the litter box so I think he's using it, but I'm also not seeing any distinct urine/poop in the litter box so maybe he hasn't had to go yet.

he’s probably anxious and scared because you’re a giant person who stole him from the warm box he was staying in. is he hiding anywhere or is he walking about and seeming alert?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

GlyphGryph posted:

I've seen no more sign of my previous nocturnal visitor. I've been putting out food, and it seems to get eaten by something every other night or so, but I'm guessing it might be getting eaten by this cat instead? Who knows.

:3: trash friend

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

when i got my cats i had people over pretty frequently and one is now super friendly and the other accepts my partner but everyone else is garbage to her. you never know!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

so, update. it wasn't giardia.

carol has been back and forth with her health since she was a baby and a few weeks it went into overdrive. she was making GBS threads mucus and crying and being generally lethargic. i took her to the regular vet and the emergency vet as well, but declined any treatment at the emergency vet because i didn't have the $400 exam fee. the regular vet told me it was probably giardia, and then that she needed fibre, and then finally told me it was probably worms even though she's tested negative several times and she's been dewormed several times. i went into their office easter weekend in tears because she was cold and barely moving, and the receptionists told me the vet wasn't there and then avoided eye contact with me while i burst into tears.

i contacted a different vet who was able to see me right away, and they offered a blood test and some fluids. she called me back today and told me she's 99% certain its FIP. the medication for FIP isn't legal in canada, it's prohibitively expensive and because she's been chronically ill her whole life her prognosis is very poor. i am waiting for her to call me back to schedule her euthanasia.

it's funny, her brother now treats her like she doesn't even exist. it's very obvious he understands how ill she is. he will occasionally smell her backside but when she approaches him he looks away and goes to do something else. i was worried about him being alone but in practicality he's been alone for a couple of weeks now.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

we had her put down yesterday afternoon. it was rough as gently caress. the vet, whose name i blanked on entirely until i got up this morning at 4AM, told me we could put her on high dose steroids for the weekend so i could have some more time with her but i ended up saying no. carol was on some medication or another almost her entire life and i didn’t want her spending her last days on this planet taking more goo she hated.

she wasn’t having fun anymore, she just laid on the couch leaking blood and diarrhea watching her brother have fun. right before the vet came in to have her sedated she sat on my lap and stared at me and purred. they let me hold her as she went and i am sad to report the last thing i ever said to her was “goodnight clownshoes”.

tandy is very clingy. he passes back and forth between the bedroom and living room to check if me and my partner are there, and he keeps peeking around her old hiding places to look for her. it’s heartbreaking. in the last couple of days he was avoiding her a lot but now he’s looking for her.

i want to eventually get him a friend because he’s never had to be alone and i prefer to have multiple cats but i am so heartbroken and nervous. my old cat igor also passed away really young from a congenital disorder and i don’t know why i keep getting lemons. i did everything i could but it wasn’t enough.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i have applied to meet/adopt a male tabby that is practically identical to tandy, except for a tiny patch of white hair on his chest. personality wise he was described as "mischievous" and so if the adoption goes through i will have two identical Ken boys who can open the door when i shower and sneak into the fridge

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i would only get worried if it went on for years and she was also significantly overweight and still under the impression she was starving. otherwise strays are like that. me and my neighbors used to feed a very small feral who ended up eating two or three times her recommended allowance because neither of us knew the other was feeding her.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i am off to go meet a potential friend for tandy. wish me luck!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

update: she is so so loving cute oh my god oh my god

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

https://www.adoptapet.com/pet/41215861-toronto-ontario-cat

here’s her profile! sadly i was so overwhelmed with love that i forgot to take a picture of her hilarious corndog tail

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i think there’s a good chance the adoption is going to happen and when/if it does i am SO excited to show you her tail. no one knows what happened to it or where it went, but it’s about five inches long. it causes her no discomfort but she does look funny.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I GOT HER

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

Yooo pics and pics in the yospos thread please

when she’s home and settled you bet your bip

e:

her adoption posting is down already but here is the half-tail wonder herself.

cash crab fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 13, 2024

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

xzzy posted:

How about a (dearly departed) void cat makin' biscuits.

https://i.imgur.com/tYQVPrK.mp4

:3: biscuit factory

E: when i first went to see the new girl she was makin’ biscuits too

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

it is impossible to get a unblurry photo of the new girl because she is vibrating like an atom at all times

tandy dashed into the room before i could close the door and she gave him a half-hearted hiss. he wants to be her friend so bad and he doesn't understand why i won't let him bother her

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

oh my god the little corn dog tail

Did she just have surgery on it? Poor little bub. Glad she's psyched to be home.

i think so but it looks well healed. i also realize she’s had at least one litter of kittens which may explain her initial distaste for tandy. i have ordered feliway because i luv 2 cheat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

shelter usually clips them, especially if they got fixed there. it can be a little challenging convincing them later on but there’s methods to getting them used to it.