Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

alright, so i let them meet today.

the girl, aanyeong, won’t really leave my bed because she’s scared of tandy, and tandy doesn’t understand why she’s mad when he charges at her to play wrestle. he’s not being aggressive, just annoying, but it’s obviously distressing to her and i am not sure how to tell her he’s not trying to kill her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Rawrbomb posted:

Are they hiding curled up in a corner doing a panic yowl? Its really low and gutteral, at least for our cats its a pretty universal "I ABHOR WHATEVER IS GOING ON AND I WANT OUT", normally reserved for carriers or extreme stress. Are they like hissing and its escalating to fighting and blood? No?

Probably fine then. Gotta let them work it out on their terms. Only intervene if required.

no, it’s just her going “ooooo” with the occasional warning growl. she gave him a good smack before and i put them in separate rooms for an hour, but she is exploring a bit now.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

okay so i know there’s a learning curve with introducing new cats but tandy is not doing well. he’s completely terrified of annyeong and he’s stopped eating. i can separate them again but i am worried he’s going to develop some issues down the line if she keeps smacking him with no provocation. i wanted to get another cat specifically to keep him company and we’re both pretty miserable right now. im blasting feliway in every room and i am trying to feed/play with them in the same area but last night she cut my hand into ribbons because he got into the bed with me.

e; fully aware it’s been less than a week. i still pretty raw from losing carol and i am a little protective of him so i apologize if i sound a little dramatic, but i just feel very tense and upset.

cash crab fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 20, 2024

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

Are you in a situation where you can isolate Annyeong? I would limit her to one room for now and let them reset / make sure Tandy has a safe space before doing slow introduction options like swapping towels with each other's smells.

i can keep her in my room (she was already in there for a bit) for the time being but she wants to leave if i leave her in there and i can’t sleep in my room because if i lock tandy out he caterwauls outside the door because i have had him since he was a baby. hence some of the stress.

i think the rescue might have slightly misled me in regards to how well she gets along with other cats. they told me she “slightly bullied” her own brother but like, i just watched her attack him with no provocation before i separated them again. she’s extremely friendly to people: i think maybe she just doesn’t get along with cats. what’s the time frame for figuring that out?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Organza Quiz posted:

Honestly if I was looking for a cat to be my cat's friend I wouldn't take one that was described as bullying another cat even a little bit. When I did the cat friend thing I specifically asked for a cat who is good with other cats and that's what they gave me.

Of course she's anxious as gently caress and terrified of humans but she was an excellent diplomat making friends with the resident cat and she does do her job of being a friend to wrestle with.

yeah, it was really stupid of me. the way they described it, it sounded like she just stole food, not that she would try and take out an eye. i was a little antsy about this rescue because of some past experiences a few years ago when i used to be in contact with one of their organizers for work, so I don’t know why i tried to go against my gut this time.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've had several litters of foster kittens and I've never noticed the baby teeth on the ground. I guess I get them with the vacuum?

from carol and tandy i collected six or seven. they tended to lose them right on their blanket but one time tandy spat one out in front of his food bowl

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

My Spirit Otter posted:

when do cats baby teeth fall out? i have a feeling that stepping on kitten teeth is a lot worse than stepping on puppy teeth

also i did step on one that i didn't save and it was hollow so it broke instead which was a little sad

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

I forgot that one of the vocalizations my cat makes is she chirps at me whenever she hears my electric kettle beep. It's because I mix in some hot water from it into her canned food to heat it up a bit. I guess she is letting me the water is ready so that I can make her food. Sadly I'm the big mean giant because most of the time it just means I'm making coffee for myself.

i get an extended “meeeep” if i turn on the tap near dinner time because i used to mix water into his food when he was a baby even though he hates extra water in his food. i also get a hearty scream when i go retrieve any socks for unknown reasons

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

jimmychoo posted:

BEWARE THE FOOT EATERS

oh you best believe my boy loves a good toe chomp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i wait until they’re sleeping