Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I have a question about flying with a kitten.

I'm going to be flying a 12 week old male Siamese kitten from Raleigh, North Carolina to Orlando, Florida (about a 2 hour flight) on Southwest airlines in a few weeks. My plan right now is to find a cat carrier that looks as least like a cat carrier as possible and sneak the kitten on with my carry-on baggage. I don't plan on trying to sedate the cat in any way because of his age, just play with him a lot during the day so hopefully he's asleep most of the trip. I also plan on putting him in the carrier for a few hours in the days before the the trip so hopefully he's used to it. He will be up to date on his vaccinations and I should be getting a travel certificate from my parents just in case I need to produce it.

Am I going about this the right way and am I missing anything? Does anyone know of a good cat carrier that looks like a duffel bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Crooked Booty posted:

You do realize that carry-on baggage gets x-rayed, right? If you just pay about $100 you can get a ticket for your cat, which they will typically ask to see at security when you walk through the metal detector with your cat, rather than sending it through on the belt. I guess there's a chance they won't ask for your cat's ticket, but you're not going to fool anyone at security about what's in your bag.

The word from my friend who frequently flies with her cats (especially through RDU) is that security doesn't care if you have a ticket for the cat or not, only the airline does. She told me that she takes the cat out of the carrier before it gets x-rayed but security never gives her any trouble.