Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Well, after 48 hours of having him, I've lost my kitty.

I recently adopted a one year old cat from a friend who is moving. Aside from the initial jitters of moving, he seemed to be doing great. He's totally chill and was adapting just fine to his new surroundings.

After I got out of class this morning I was totally exhausted and dropped my fully loaded backpack the first place I could, which incidentally happened to be right on his tail. He skittered off to hide in the bathroom and was obviously pretty pissed at me. I figured he would cool down in a bit, but he hadn't made an appearance by the time for my next class. I checked the bathroom, but no dice, maybe he had found another place to sulk. I left some canned food out as a peace offering, but when I got back from my afternoon class it was untouched. Now that I've had some time to search around for him, I'm starting to get worried. I have seriously searched every place a little cat body could fit in my relatively small house and haven't seen a trace of him. I'm 99% sure he couldn't have gotten out, as all the doors and windows have been locked since it happened, and unless there's some sort of hole that I don't know about, he's still in here somewhere.

I guess what I'm asking is are there any unusual places you've found your cats before, and how long does it usually take for them to come off being upset? This is my first cat, and having always had dogs before, I'm used to them yelping when accidents happen and then pouting for a few minutes. It's been about six hours since the incident and I really want to find him to show him I didn't mean anything by it.

Sorry this is a novel-length post, but I kinda feel like a new mother freaking out about her baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Turns out he was under my bathroom sink in an area which I would have sworn was covered with wood paneling when I moved in. Took him a while to come out but now he's chillin' right next to me. Aside from the incident this morning, he seems to be adjusting pretty well to his new house, especially considering he came from a house with four cats. One strange thing I've noticed is that he doesn't really have any interest in playing with any sort of toys. I can't seem to dig up my old laser pointer, but an assorted number of boxes, paper bags, things on strings and other odds and ends have all failed to grab his attention, which seems pretty weird since he's just over a year old and came from a pretty active household. But hey, maybe he's just super chill.

Edit: Sorry I am full of questions today. When I first got Vikram from my friend, he said that he's been raised as a semi-outdoor cat, meaning that he would spend most of the day outside and then be let in at night. This might be part of the reason why normal indoor toys are boring to him. I want him to be happy, but I'm very hesitant about letting him outside. This is a much worse neighborhood than where he's originally from, with lots of stray dogs/cats and way more traffic. Should I just let him be bored with the indoors for the sake of his safety, or has he become sort of "wise" to the outdoor experience from being raised that way?

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 9, 2009