Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

A note about laser pointers: use the weakest red one you can find, and don't use them on reflective surfaces like tiles. If possible only use them on carpet.

While pretty much every cat goes nut for the red dot at the end of the session they lack a sense of achievement. So what I do at the end of playing time is throw a small red ball for my kittens to catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Ok, so I have a question of my own now, I have two male kittens, ~3 months old, Max & Moritz, not yet castrated (I usually do that when they're around 1 year old as they're always indoors), and a female cat, Ludmilla, 4 1/2 years old, spayed.

I got the kittens about 3 weeks ago, and Ludmilla has accepted them rather fast into her home. She grooms them both, plays with them and lets them cuddle up to her when she's sleeping somewhere.

But today I noticed that Moritz is actually treading and suckling on her teats, and that Ludmilla lets him do that. I mean, I know she's a female cat and all, but drat, I thought when cats are spayed/neutered they lose production of all the hormones that make them behave like their gender.

Is this something I have to be concerned about? Will she ween him off someday? She isn't really producing any milk, right? The kittens eat both wet and dry food, and have plenty of it to boot, so it's not like they're starving.

I'm proud as poo poo that she's acting like that, but really, I mean, it's unexpected.

giZm fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 30, 2009

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Yeah I realize it's a comfort thing, he does it to me when I pet him as well, but I just didn't think Ludmilla would let him do it. That's what I'm so astonished about.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

One of my kittens doesn't seem to be able to meow, or maybe he simply doesn't know how. He opens his mouth when he looks at me, and it's always at a time where you'd expect him to meow, but there are no meows coming out of his mouth. He just stands there with his mouth open. And he's not a mute either, he can purr and chirp and all that, just no meows.