Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

All of the foods that BOrangeFury listed as poisonous to dogs are indeed poisonous to cats. Another good one to specifically mention might be houseplants. Tons of common houseplants are poisonous, and some cats love to eat plants.

A neighbor of mine just had a near-death kitten experience after their kitten managed to get a piece of a hanging azalea on their porch.

Here is the ASPCA database of plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

BLOG KING posted:

Are there any "cat safe" houseplants? I'd love some green stuff in my place, but I don't want to poison my cat if he decides to munch on it.

Here's the SPCA list.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Fire In The Disco posted:

I would start by making sure you're really offering her as much stimulation as possible-- she wants to go outside because she gets stimulation out there.

It's also just new = exciting. My cats are obsessed with getting into the laundry room, and there's truly nothing interesting in there, they're just not allowed to patrol it normally.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

HondaCivet posted:

Maybe there's a cultural difference . . . Less traffic? Fewer guns? Americans suffer a larger deluge of horror stories in the news? I know I wouldn't let my cat out in my part of the US because there are so many drat hicks who think that anything moving makes for good target practice, either with their bumper, a gun, a compound bow . . .

Maybe higher population density and fewer land-based predators. My house backs on a ravine, and when hiking down there I've seen coyotes. I don't want my cats being coyote snacks.

Trillian fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 10, 2009

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I have a cat pee question! I bet you can't wait to read it!

Short version: Unspayed female cat occasionally pees around the house. It does not appear to be spraying behavior; she picks soft flat surfaces and scratches like she wants to cover it. How likely is it that it's related to being unspayed?

Details: She's scheduled to be spayed at a low-cost clinic in three months, and it'll cost me $300+ more to get it done right now. She's indoor-only and I live in a high-rise so she can't get knocked up while I wait.

I have followed pee-fighting protocol: She's been checked out by a vet. She's young and healthy. I have multiple boxes and have tried a couple types of boxes/litter. I clean with nature's miracle, and tried feliway. I got her from a relative who was going to take her to the SPCA, so while this is apparently a new problem it could be stress.

Spend $300 to fight pee: y/n?

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I am sure this has already been discussed to death somewhere, but I can't find it.

Cat toothbrushing: Do you really do it? Is my vet hilariously optimistic for telling me it should be done at least every other day?

After seeing one of my dad's cats have some serious dental problems I am trying (albeit not as much as the vet thinks I should.) However the ratio of actual tooth-cleaning to cat anger is not very good. Do any of the dental foods/treats actually help?

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Is this what you guys mean by "let the cat choose you"? He was kinda scared of all the people around but rubbed up against the cage when I came by and stuck my fingers through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIz4cUXNMmU

He comes home tomorrow :3:

Also, his front feet are shaped somewhat oddly. Is that what polydactyl is?

Hey, you just posted yesterday that you adopted and returned a cat two weeks ago and you didn't think you could handle pet ownership. It's stressful for cats to be relocated. Please give some thought as to whether you're keeping this cat.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Mofette posted:

cat pee problems

I have this Ikea doormat because of its cat repelling qualities. It's all plastic and has a nubby texture that they hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Claw caps like Softpaws are another option. My couch scratcher dedicated her life to chewing them off, so it didn't really work for me, but I know other people who say they work well.

I tried clicker training my cats after seeing Trophy the internet superstar, so when I got a new couch I tried clicker training them to use the scratching post. This seems to have worked, at least to redirect their attention to another spot, and my couch is unscathed.