Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I'm having some trouble with my girlfriends 2 year old cat, not quite a kitten but I would really appreciate some help.

As I said, her cat is about 2 years old. The three of us have been living together for about 8 months and I'm rather confident her cat hates me. I'm very good with cats, I used to help with a cat rescue and I always get "Wow, my cat hates everyone but she just came right up to you!" from friends and relatives.

This cat, however, will bite and hiss at me for no good reason. Pet her while she sits on the bed? Bite. Walk into the kitchen behind her? Hiss. Sit on the couch with her nowhere goddamn near me? Bite.

I've tried as many of the old tricks I could think of to get her to warm up to me. I've tried:

- using treats to coax her
- being the person that feeds her in the morning
- playing catch with her
- cooing at the cat whenever she's near me
- having my girlfriend hold the cat while I pet her
- many more that I can't think of

With all of these the cat will be fine with me for 5 - 15 minutes and then she'll bite or hiss. At that point I drop whatever I am doing and ignore her for a while. Furthermore, she doesn't do these things with my girlfriend, and in some cases my girlfriend enables the behavior. For example, while holding the cat with me petting her the cat may hiss and my girlfriend will stoke the cat and say "noooo, noo" in a soothing manner. This is mildly frustrating.

It should also be noted that the cat does not seem to get along with men very well. She has been known to bite a couple of my friends at random who are male (like me). She is also a single cat, we don't have a companion cat. I work 12 hour days and my girlfriend goes to school so she gets more time with her.

I decided, after months of trying, that I was just going to out-and-out ignore the cat. If she wanted to be affectionate I wouldn't turn her away but I wouldn't go out of my way to get her attention and eventual bites. This made my girlfriend very upset, we had a long argument that started with "YOU HATE MY CAT!" and ended with my reevaluating my approach to winning over this cat.

Please help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Gizm, my mother used to have a cat like that. She would open her mouth and make a little squeak noise instead of a meow. The vet just shrugged and said "That's what her meow sounds like".

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I'm having a slight problem with my cat (not a kitten but still young at 2 years old). I adopted her about 6 months ago and, besides having some problems with parasites that took a couple months to shake, she's got a clean bill of health from the doctor.

Recently I've noticed that she has a noticeable amount of dandruff at the base of her tail and when I scratch or comb there she starts licking her left paw. I thought maybe she just had dry skin and tried a supplement to help with her skin but the dandruff in that one spot persists.

It's worth mentioning that she is a little chubby and I know she has trouble cleaning the base of her tail. I'll sometimes come in to a room and she's walked herself in to a corner so she can lick her back.

Any suggestions? Is this a normal problem with cats that are fat?

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Thanks for the information. I'll bring it up to the vet at her next check up. I just wanted affirmation that it's not something life threatening.

We're working on her weight. The owner who had her before me fed her table scraps along with the worst dry food you can buy. I've got her on a better food and a nightly playtime regiment and her weight is coming down slowly.

edit:

I didn't even think about the weather aspect. This started happening right around the start of the fall weather.