Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teepee
Mar 11, 2004

I couldn't cope if you crashed today
I have a question about the kitten I brought home a week ago, to be the companion of my adult cat. I've been stressing about this a lot, and didn't get much in the way of advice from the vet when I visited him Monday.

The kitten's 5 weeks old. My adult's been vaccinated and gets his boosters every year, but obviously I'm worried about the baby infecting him with whatever she might have. The kitten, as far as I know, is not exactly a stray, since the mother sort of 'lives' inside a factory owned by a family friend. To complicate matters, the vet I visited on Monday told me I couldn't vaccinate her until 2 weeks later, which would make the kitten about 7 weeks old for her first shots. I called around a couple of other places to see what the consensus was on vaccinating kittens, and one of the more reputable places told me they didn't vaccinate kittens until 12 weeks. I'm inclined toward going to this place, since client reviews seem much more positive about the vet.

I really love my adult cat and don't want him to get sick because of the kitten, but after a week they've become inseparable. The kitten's totally adorable and she's got a feisty little attitude. She can't meow yet so she just squeaks like a squeaky toy. By the way, the first vet I visited didn't say anything about risk of transmission. (He didn't say much at all, and seemed pretty indifferent, which is why I'm checking out other places.)

I guess my question is: Can I keep the kitten? Or is it too risky to keep a non-vaccinated kitten at home with another cat? Am I freaking out over nothing? Are all kittens disease-ridden furry balls of doom? She does have tapeworms, as far as I can tell, and I'm going to the vet on the 31st to do a stool sample, etc., but she seems pretty healthy otherwise. She eats a lot, poops a lot, sleeps a lot, and seems to have grown a hell of a lot in just the last week. Any advice would be appreciated.

The kitten, obviously, is on the left:

Click here for the full 897x573 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU