Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hello I rescued a kitty a few weeks ago.

Her name is Glitch

She is a cutie patootie, and she knows it

Glitch also has a permanent up-yours/gently caress-you middle toe colouration :3:

She also has only one cream coloured paw, and the toe beans are white! Every other paw is black!

The very very tip of her tail is also cream!

I love her :3:

Promise not to poo poo up the thread with another big pic dump like that, didn't know if there was somewhere else I was meant to post, just wanted to show her off :3:

Currently teaching her that water + baths = cool thing.
Seems to be going well. She likes being in the bath + having a warm wet flannel on her + wading in paw deep water.

I had a cat when I was a teenager, and I've been absolutely dying to get another one just for myself. Living circumstances /w apartment rules and the like prevented that, but I've finally got my kitty. I couldn't be more :3: if I tried, and now I'm 'That Person' with 1000 photos on my phone.
https://i.imgur.com/dnsCBbo.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

She's also not much of a lap kitty, but as you can see above is super good at just hanging out while I play video games on my PC.

I'm assuming the lap thing is just her being a kitten who would rather be playing with bells, than chillin out and cuddlin

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Boogalo posted:

Woohoo welcome to tortie club. It is a good club.

:hellyeah:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Training Glitch to get used to baths, so every few days she gets a wash as I slowly introduce more and more elements into the mix.

At first I just spent some time during the day throwing some toys in and out of the bath so she knew the bathroom was a 'fun' place.
Moved on to her getting used to the sound of running water so she wouldn't freak out, and letting her lick some water off my fingers to get used to the bathroom.
Then I introduced dripping water on her + a warm wet flannel to rub her down with.
A few days ago we spent a little bit of time in the bath with some water down the other end she could walk over to it and dip her paws in.

Today I filled the bath up past her paws and plopped her in.
She jumped out once, but by the end she was purring

:3:

Like holy crap if I can get her used to having a bath I will be super happy, because my old cat would turn into a weedwhacker if water went anywhere near her.
I'm hoping I end up with a broke brain cat that can swim :3:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

You do you, but out of curiosity is there a particular reason why you want to bathe your cat?

Cause when the stupid dumb idiot dumps something sticky like a can of soft drink on her head, like she almost did a few days ago, it'll be a painless process to wash her if she's used to water?

I think it's just a general good idea all around to get your pets used to bathing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Len posted:

Dumbass went under the sink in our apartment and there's a whole in there so maintenance can get to the pipes and he went exploring in the wall coming out a very black and gross cat instead of the white cat he is.

Going by the sounds he made during the bath you'd we were trying to kill him.

Yup, for exactly this reason I am getting her used to baths.

Plus if she likes it I can make it a regular thing like once a month

Secret reason so I get practice in bath training for whenever I get a Sphynx down the track

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I want my cat to be 99% a housecat, but is there any way to train a kitten to know that outside=bad if she somehow escapes/runs past Mum when she brings the groceries in?

Like I have no idea how people have an outside cat that stays within a yard.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ow my legs

Kittens are arseholes

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Look at this fuckin arsehole

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think the bigger problem is your house melting

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Glitch has finally figured out laps=good :swoon:

I finally have my cuddle buddy :3:

IronDoge posted:

It's been over a month since I adopted my cat and he still hasn't changed much in his hiding behavior. Aside from eating, drinking, and using the litter box, he just still hides in his crate 24/7. I suppose it'll take a while longer, but man it's a little disheartening not seeing any progress despite chilling out with him everyday. :sigh:

I'm thinking these things take time, and the time it takes differs for each cat. If you're providing a chillout zone, eventually he'll come around.

It's not something you can force either. Like I wanted Glitch to be a lap cat from day 1, but it's taken over a month just for her to even want to sit on my lap. She just does her own thing, and has her own little personality that I've had to learn. I'm sure yours is the same.
Glitch is usually quite happy just chilling on her little pillow watching me play games on my PC for the most part.

All good things come to those who wait (And don't mind having their legs clawed occasionally)

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 20, 2018

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You are a poop wizard and they are trying to learn the secret of how you make it disappear

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Congrats on your 2nd cat

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How often should I be changing cat litter? I've been doing it every week, but could I do it every 2 weeks?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I scoop out solids every day and try to change the litter every 2 or 3 weeks, seems to work fine with 1 cat

Yeah this is what I was thinking. I currently clean the poop out everyday and change the litter every week.

I'm thinking changing the litter every 2 weeks isn't going to hurt anything, unless it stinks to high hell.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

owls or something posted:

Got a diagnosis on Marshmellow from the ultrasound a week or whatever ago. "Triaditis". Was pretty severe and wasn't responding to the steroid shots we were prescribed. Had to say goodbye a few days ago, just couldn't put her through any more. She was so sweet. I miss my buddy so much, it's a weird feeling having an empty home.

Last two nice pictures I got to take before everything went to poo poo.

Ya'll hug your kitties for me.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Marshmallow looked like a very cute kitty, and she had a very cool name.

Please accept these 2 images of my little dumbass Glitch to cheer you up. She has finally learnt that laps are 100% a good thing

She is currently moving her water bowl slowly to the other side of the room, because I'm an idiot that taught her water is fun to play with while training her to take baths :cripes:

In about 5min time I'm going to have her jump up on my lap with 2 very wet paws.

EDIT: My lap is now wet

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 28, 2018

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Heavy Petting > The Cat FAQ/Megathread: An all out poo poo jihad

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hello I'd like to exchange my Scratches-The-Absolute-gently caress-Out-Of-Your-Legs-While-You're-Gaming kitten for a Just-Likes-To-Sleep-On-Laps-And-Purr kitten.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Batista bombing arsehole kittens is justified Y/N______?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Presented without comment:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Should I be doing anything about my kittens suckling behaviour? I adopted her so I'm guessing she got weaned wayyy too early.

Like it's cute and all to have her in the morning curl up in my lap under a blanket, but it is less cute when half the blanket is soaked from her suckling on it.

I'm not worried about it, and if the answer is "she grows out of it" then that's fine by me.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

OK guess I'll just live with a weird cat that likes to suckle blankets and dance in the shower as water drips on her.

I love my beautiful disaster of a cat :allears:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My kitten, a Haiku

Glitch your farts smell bad
How are you able to breath
Jesus loving christ cat

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

Oh i live in tasmania, aus and vets are mad expensive and no credit option available im a broke rear end bartender.

Find your local facebook group for lost animals?

Alternatively ask if people are willing to chip in for it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

May they be arseholes in heaven, as they were in life

Glitch decided to hold a demolition derby through the house earlier today, and it was really over the top how much she was freaking out. Didn't think much of it, until I smelt a fresh poop.
"Oh she gets like that sometimes after she poops." I go and clean it up, but I can still smell it.

Have a quick look around and find a bit of poop in my PC room.
Catch her and have a look. There was a bit of string + poop still hanging from her butt.

Apparently the poop string was freaking her the gently caress out and she was trying to run away from it, and I spent a good 30min cleaning up poop stains throughout the house :thumbsup:

Please enjoy a picture of the little shithead

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How? Why?

It's poop

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Presenting Lawn Mower Kitten (Not mine)

https://i.imgur.com/nZpkyMB.mp4

(Right click and unmute)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm having a hell of a time with Glitch and water bowls.

Little poo poo loving knocks them over, splashes water everywhere, and just doesn't seem to 'get' that water bowls are just for drinking. I've observed her 'cleaning up' the water like she's covering up pee in her litter tray.
I'm gonna go to a pet store this morning and have a look at some new bowls, but other than a super wide base I don't have many ideas.

Anyone else come across this behaviour?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

EDIT: It is done. The kitten has been put down. :(

Sounds like you did it a mercy.

:rip: kitty

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Kitten poop aroma is something else.

Preach.

Glitch has a lovely habit of just after she finishes pooping she freaks the gently caress out and runs around the house in turbo mode jumping over everything.
Pretty sure she's terrified of either
A.) Not getting the concept that stuff comes out her butt on a regular occurrence
B.) The absolute foul gremlin dungeon odour her poop produces

Either way it's a great indicator for 'Time to clean the litter tray'

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bonus pic

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Let me steal your God of Destruction

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fabulousity posted:

Support ticket closed. CATS.EXE is working as intended.

GET OFF THE KEYBOARD KITTY

NO I DON'T WANT TO TURN CARET BROWSING ON

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why won't my kitten love me

I just want snuggles
But all I get is struggles

She doesn't like to be held or sit on my lap :qq:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Well clearly the only solution is to get a second kitten so they fight for my affection

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah Glitch is affectionate in her own way, and loves chilling out on her pillow in front of me while I play games.

I guess I just wish she'd be more of a lapcat. :shrug:

I'll try buying some treats and working on that a bit.

(She's all black on top and her tummy has lot of white patches that I only get to see when she does this and I love her :3:)
(The very tip of her tail is white :3::3::3:)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:bisonyes:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Why won't my kitten love me

I just want snuggles
But all I get is struggles

She doesn't like to be held or sit on my lap :qq:

I'd like to correct my previous statement.

Glitch does enjoy being held.
Just so long as you cradle her in your arms like a baby.

She does not like being held any other way.

I have a weird cat.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

In sheer awe at the size of this lad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Glitch is getting desexed today, and I've been browsing some sites looking into what aftercare I need to do.

Obviously I'll listen to whatever the vet informs me to do, when I pick her up, but does anyone have any tips?
Is it OK to let her roam the house? Or should I confine her to the laundry (Where he bed + litter tray are) for a day or so?