Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Also, a good way to track your progress is to set up flea traps in areas where your cat likes to hang out - just some soapy water in a tupperware container or shallow bowl. Also helps with the inevitable psychosis of "is that a flea bite? did I feel something jump on me? am I itchy or just making myself itchy?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

My cat now shits whenever he is in his carrier. Twice now for 50 min drives each time. First time was one log, thought maybe he really had to go and hadn't had a chance before I grabbed him. Nope, second time was a bunch of little poo poo balls he squeezed out throughout the drive. rear end in a top hat.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Did the vet mention FIC (feline idiopathic cystisis)? basically, for reasons unknown (possibly you leaving for a few months), cat gets stressed which somehow triggers inflammation of the bladder. Urination becomes painful and the cat begins to associate the litter box with pain, so the inappropriate elimination can continue even after the pain is gone.

Unfortunately if that is the case the course of treatment is almost everything you listed, although in my case the vet prescribed some pain killers for a few weeks (which resulted in the cat getting hilarious high after each dose) and another med I can't remember the function of, I think an anti-inflammatory? I don't know what solved the problem as we also did a lot of the same stuff you did (extra litter box, kept them clean as hell, enzyme cleaners, threw out rugs she wouldn't stop peeing on, kept her the hell away from laundry baskets). But maybe the meds played a role as well.

On a practical note, at the height of things when she was constantly peeing near the litterbox but not in it, we resorted to covering the area with puppy pads.

I would consider taking him to a different vet (if you can afford it) to see if the first one missed something.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

edit ^^^^ woah, I didn't even think of that. That would tie things up nicely.

Hella Nervous posted:

Thanks for your replies. The vet didn't mention FIC, but I can bring it up with them. Still, FIC doesn't seem like it would explain the years of pooping on the ground next to the litter box. Getting rid of the urine issues would be a wonderful start, but I'm so tired of cleaning up poop and sanitizing the floors every day.

He weighs about 18 pounds, so feeding him wet food alone would mean about two (or slightly under) 5.5 oz cans per day, by my calculation. With high-quality wet food (and two other cats to feed), it's going to get expensive real fast. I can give it a try for awhile and at least see if it helps.

There are multiple water dishes and one dog-sized water fountain in the house, and I see him drinking regularly (it's very cute, he daintily dips his paw in the water and drinks off his paw). I'd be surprised if he was dehydrated.

I have been to two vets over the years, and neither had any other solutions (other than the Prozac, which didn't work). I can try to take him to a third place nearby (it's a much bigger pet hospital facility), but if I'm going to do that I wonder if I shouldn't just save up for a behaviorist instead.

Was the pooping outside the box going on long before the peeing?

He might have had bouts of FIC in the past and just started associating the litter box with pain. it doesn't make a whole lot of sense why he'd be ok with doing 1 but not 2 in the box, but older shelter cats develop strange behaviors over time because cats are weird. Anyway, my point is, if the pain surrounding the litter box can go away, perhaps he will start using it appropriately.

Ranter, good call on the wet food - I forgot that's another thing we did when we dealt with the problem. In this cat's case we just replaced the evening dry food re-up with wet food for a few weeks.

I don't have any experience with a behaviorist so I can't comment on whether or not that's effective.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Anyone have an idea of what vets charge to de-mat a cat? He'll definitely need to be sedated. And yes I brush him regularly and attack him with the Furminator every couple days, I'm preventing new mats but the ones he has are so tight and close to the skin I think they need to be shaved off.

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 4, 2015

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I have not, thanks. I'll check it out. Do you use it?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Cats can loose their voice, right? Please tell me they can loose their voice because another 3 weeks of this 22 1/2hrs a day is going to drive me up the wall...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSVjdqol_C8

Ahahaha the saga of your retarded cat and the indignities he must endure are hilarious to me.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Drythe posted:

Yea, I picked one up at my local pet store. It did great at getting rid of all the knots from my cat that we rescued off the street.

I actually got it cause the vet recommended it after her first visit and I brought up all the knots. He showed how easily it shreds the knots and removes them.

Just attacked my poor cat with this. He hated it but it was very effective, seemed to be less torturous than the Fulminator with better results.

Still, poor guy hates it :( Can't do it long enough to really take care of things, still might go the shaving route.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Last night I was bummed that my cat still hasn't fully adjusted to my new place after 10 days (mostly being standoffish/finding places to hide all day). Then I remember he spent the summer getting fleas, getting locked on a porch for almost a month, getting moved to my mom's house for 3 weeks where he had to deal with a dog, and finally getting moved to my new place. This poor bastard has been through cat hell and I'm gonna keep giving him way too many treats and leaving him alone for as long as he wants.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Cats are crepuscular, meaning they're active at dawn and dusk. They sleep most of the day.

By and large your cat doesn't care that you're gone all day. She's just sleeping someplace warm. Get another one if you want to, but don't let the OP guilt you into anything.

Yeah, many cats are much happier being alone. They can adjust to a new cat but will be stressed as hell for a few weeks at minimum. If she's been the only pet for 4 years she will likely be happier on her own. That's not to say there's anything wrong with getting another cat; the existing cat will be cool with it eventually and you're giving another homeless cat a home. But it's for the new cat's/your benefit, not the existing cat's.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Lycaeon posted:

I think my cat got addicted to the outside. Ever since I let her out for those two days she's been meowing and pawing at the front door and rubbing my legs whenever I leave the house.

This might be a problem, but I'm still not letting her out (I buried that dead bird in a little mound in my backyard. No way I'm making another).

Time to look into serious harness training.

She'll do that for a while but will eventually forget about it.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

CoolCat posted:

My cat gave me a cuddle this morning :-)

Sounds like a cool cat

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

here's a new one: Pretty sure my cat's microchip is sliding around near his spine. Felt a grain of rice-sized thing around there and it seems to move around. Any cause for concern?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

One of my kittens doesn't cover up her crap/pee when she uses the litter box, is this something she will grow out of? Already switched types of litter once, also hovered over her and when she was done I grabbed her paws and covered up the dook, but to no avail.

I believe you need to poop on her poop to show her who's really the boss.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

fartzone_42069 posted:

Put flea treatment drops on the back of the skull/cat shoulder blades area on my increasingly visiting alley cat last night. May not have done the best job. She's here right now scratching the side of her neck a lot. Does the stuff take a while to get in or did I not get it in there good enough?

Most are supposed to work within 48 hrs.

I have to plug the Seresto flea collar again - seriously, drops did nothing for my long haired cat, either because the fleas were immune (it was in a house that had had a large flea outbreak before) or because it couldn't quite get through his fur. The flea collar cleared him up within days.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Dutymode posted:

We have two cats, a 5 month old and a 6 year old.

A couple of problems - first, the kitten stalks the older cat every time she uses the litter box. Should I care?

Second and kind of related, the kitten will not stop jumping on the older one, no matter how much she complains. I've tried leaving them alone to sort it out, but it will be a non-stop catfight for 10 minutes with the older cat screaming while he chews on her. She won't fight back hard enough to make him stop. I've also tried locking him in a room when he won't stop harassing her, but that doesn't seem to slow him down, either.

Basically, this kitten is a total dick, and I'm a terrible cat parent.

I know stalking/guarding the litter box can be a problem and lead to the cat not using the litter box. I don't know if the older cat sees the kitten as a threat, though? At any rate do you have more than one litter box in separate rooms?

I can't help with the second issue unfortunately. I'm interested in seeing the answer as I want to get a kitten eventually to give my old guy some company. Kittens will try to push boundaries of play and should learn what is and isn't acceptable but if your old cat is just sitting there like an idiot letting the kitten do whatever it wants maybe that won't help?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

marchantia posted:

First, vet, because usually peeing outside the box is a sign of urinary trouble. If the vet clears him, try a kitty friend of you think he's lonely. And another litterbox. But I wouldn't be surprised if the vet turned something up.

I don't know that introducing a new cat would help. That can be a serious stressor as well. I never figured out what made my ex's cat pee all over our apartment (she preferred clean laundry, that BITCH!) but in the span of two months we adopted a second cat and extremely loud construction was happening directly outside our window every day. We figured it was a combination of those two events.

It's not spite; it could be stress or a more serious issue. Take him to the vet to rule out medical stuff. It could be feline idiopathic cystitis, where it's painful for the cat to urinate due to inflammation of the bladder brought on by stress, and he associates the litter box with pain. The vet will have some recommendations, but here's what we did:

-Vet gave us some kitty morphine to give to her for 5 days
-Vet also prescribed some kind of anti inflammatory I think?
-Filled the house feliway diffusers
-Got a second litter box in a new location
-Closed the windows during the day to keep out construction noise
-Kept her away from things she liked to piss on - she was not allowed in the bedroom for a few weeks

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I struggled to give my cat a pill for a good hour. Wrapped him in a towel, pried open his jaws, shoved it down his throat and he managed to get free/scratch/bite me every time. Finally gave up and stuck it in some wet food as a last ditch effort, assuming he'd eat around it. Nope, stupid fucker ate it right away.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Tendai posted:

Okay this is a weird question but the internet is not helping -- can fleas live at altitudes of 8500' or so? The internet seems to say no, buuuuut Kiska suddenly just started licking herself in a strange way, like she runs around and then stops like something's bothering her and licks. She doesn't have any injury that I could see, and I'm not sure if that's how cats say "hey I have fleas." I'm trying to figure out if this is just "cat being weird" or if I'm in "vet tomorrow" territory.

Have you tried checking her for fleas?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Do vets get mad if you bring in your cat and he poo poo in the carrier? My cat loves doing that for some reason !!!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Tendai posted:

That would be a nipple, unless I'm misjudging what part of the cat the picture is of.

I have nipples Greg. Can you milk me?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Irritated Goat posted:

It isn't playing when they fight. It's more the hissing\claws out attacking. They cannot be in the same room for more than a few minutes. If Kaylee goes within 2 feet of Jayne's box (which is basically impossible if she's going to our bedroom), he starts hissing and swatting at her. Same with just being anywhere near Kaylee for Jayne. I feel like they barely tolerate each other on a good day.

Hissing and swatting are fine.

Edit: Two adult cats will rarely become best buddies. Many will only tolerate each other. What will eventually happen is that they will coexist. Fights will still happen sometimes but if they're not hurting each other, they are ok.

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 23, 2015

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Apprentice Dick posted:

I need some advice on older cats. My parents have a 12 year old cat that has always been timid around the other two (15 and 10). I have the option to move to a pet friendly apartment closer to work, among other benefits, and would like to take the timid cat to live with me. My main question is that she would have to be declawed per the lease. Would declawing a 12 year old cat be problematic? I wouldn't want to do something that will cause her problems.

Definitely don't do it. It's a bad idea in almost every case (I say almost because there are the rare medical reasons for it) but it would be especially traumatic for a 12 year old cat.

I would question how enforceable that clause in the lease is, myself. I kind of doubt the landlord checks every cat for front claws, but who knows.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

wilderthanmild posted:

I put the litter box in sight of the couch she's hiding behind. Hopefully that's good enough. Also, hopefully that doesn't turn into its permanent home. Once she's exploring a little bit I'll gradually move it towards that closest again.

Update: When we woke up this morning she was out from behind the couch, but she ran back to her hiding spot pretty quickly. The trail of food leading to her bowl had been eaten, so I assume she hopefully found it and the water. Hopefully she had a little of both, but it's hard to tell for sure. No poop/pee in sight though.

It may be a few days before she uses the litter box. Don't freak out.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I came home an hour ago and can't find my cat. He's indoors and I live in an apartment with two roommates. Every time I shake his treat bag he comes running from wherever he is, but not tonight. Bedroom doors are open. Hiding spots checked. All very strange. Hope he's not dead!!!!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

The last time this happened around here, he turned out to be sleeping in a paper bag. Diagnosis: cat.

This is what I'm hoping. It is the first time in the year and a half I've had him that he doesn't come running for treats so I'm slightly concerned, but at the moment I think the most likely outcome is that I'll see him when I wake up with no explanation.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Update: found the stupid fucker, stupid roommate's friends left upstairs and downstairs doors open last night and the cat spent the night outside like a dumb gently caress.

I was on my roof having a cigarette and saw him just sitting in the back yard. I yelled his name and he looked at me. Came outside and he was hidden under the house. Coaxed him out with a treat bag.

Now he's probably going to eat a bunch and throw up.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

He also managed to get a huge hard clump of dirt completely embedded in his fur. In less than 12 hours. It was if it had been there for months. As I aggressively brushed it out he meowed angrily and I said without a hint of irony "that's what you get for sneaking out!"

I am as dumb as the cat.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Evfedu posted:

I couldn't see this in the OP, but our new kittens are loving terrified of us :(

We got two on Thursday last week (12th), had a whole bunch of drama on the first night back (they're obviously frightened of us and ended up climbing into a gap behind the toilet we couldn't see to escape. Sadly we're in a block of interconnected flats so I lost my mind being scared and broke some of the skirting off so they could exit. When cat A came out my partner caught him, and we used his meows to lure out cat B and catch him. Like, this was a 4-5 hour process with a failed attempt so it probably worsened the situation) but then spent most of Friday with them asleep on the bed next to us.

When they're tired we can generally convince them to be picked up and fall asleep on us, but literally if they ever see us they run and hide under something in the house. We've set the hall up as their food place, put the carrier we brought them home in in my study and put the litter-tray in one of our bathrooms, but we're in a six room flat so we can't really avoid running into them if we are in. I'm just wondering if there's a way to train them out of hating us. The tiny one even hisses at me when I go to stroke him which breaks my loving heart. And forget about getting them a treat. Held one up to one of their noses and he literally pushed it away with his tongue. So gotta give him style-points for sass at least :/

They're 12 weeks old Ragdolls who are from a seriously reputable breeder who was in a house with cats who couldn't get enough of my partner and I when we came in.

We've tried
- sitting still and waiting for them to come to us (they sniff then retreat)
- Playing with them with toys (they're cool with the toys, gently caress you if you try to stroke 'em!)
- Just plain lifting up the chair they're hiding under and giving them hugs and trying to show we aren't scary (they're ok with this for a bit, the big one even purrs, but if they aren't sleepy they're not staying for long).

Any help or advice totally welcome from any kitten whisperers.

Basically, you gotta let them come to you. They will when they're ready. It's not uncommon for it to take a few weeks or even a month.

Don't evict them from their hiding spaces unless you have to.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Evfedu posted:

Like, just pretend they don't live here?

I mean, keep feeding them and stuff. And if they respond to toys, keep playing with them when they're around. And give them some treats sometimes when they come near you. But for the most part, yeah, just let them do whatever they want.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

It doesn't eliminate it, but get a big box, add liner, then put a disposable box inside and put the litter in the disposable box. Most of the litter ends up between the disposable box and the regular box. When it's time to change the whole thing just throw out the liner and the disposable box.

Not the cheapest but for my one cat it's the best system I've come up with so far.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Wanamingo posted:

She's (yet again) going through court-mandated rehab, so no. Do you have an amazon link? I see plenty of other flea drops for sale, but not Revolution. The cheapest I can find it through google is a little over $50 on 1800petmeds, but apparently you can only order it there if if you have a prescription.

I've had the cat for about a week now, and in that time I've noticed she's had three sneezing fits. I assume that's not normal, does anybody know what might be causing it?

The seresto flea collar is more cost effective overall, but still not cheap. Worked very well for my cat when otc drops utterly failed.

Edit: it's around $50 but lasts for 6 months, no script needed.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

My cat poops in a random spot outside the litter box roughly 4 times a year. I cannot find any rhyme or reason behind this - I have a couple different types of litter I use and it never lines up with me changing it. I clean his box every 1-3 days and refresh it every 2 weeks. It doesn't line up with when its fuller than normal. He only gets one type of food. I'm reluctant to move the box as it's a rare occurrence. But I'd like him to stop. The locations he poops in are seemingly random. Has anyone experienced this?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

Gonna chalk that up to 'because cats'

this is a distinct possibility but it goes against everything I've read.

of course, everything I've read says "TAKE YOUR CAT TO THE VET IMMEDIATELY" which I have not done since this happens once every fiscal quarter, so it's probably the response I deserve.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

Have you actually witnessed him taking a dump where he shouldn't, or just found evidence? I occasionally find poo where it shouldn't be, and it turned out to be because of danglers. Is he a medium/longhair? Does he get danglers?

So here's the thing. He is long haired and I have never witnessed it. But I have never seen a dangler on him either, and they are usually full size turds.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

meristem posted:

Hey. I have a bit of an emergency here. Tinycat is having dyspnea due to cat flu again. It's 9 PM here now, the vet won't be open until tomorrow 8 AM. What do I do?

Edit: he's both having trouble breathing and has tachycardia. :(
Edit 2: ok, he's dead.

Sorry to hear that :(

I mean this with all sincerity - at least you didn't step on him

edit: You're a good person for taking in the tiny guy and making sure his short life was lived in comfort.

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 5, 2015

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I think it's fine to give them small amounts of jerky.

Tenzarin posted:

Have you ever eaten one of those cat treats? they are loving loaded up on salt.

No you weirdo

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Hey it was by accident, its not like "hey cat treats".

Please explain how you accidentally ate cat treats

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Hey its possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

Hello

i want to get a cat but i live in a pretty small (450 sq feet) studio apartment. would it be bad/cruel/whatever to basically keep a cat in a place that small all the time? similarly i know it's generally recommended to get two cats but im worried the benefits of companionship would be outweighed by the downsides of splitting the space between two cats. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

thanks

Naw, definitely not cruel and infinitely better for the cat than a shelter. Give it as much vertical space as you can and play with it. It's mostly going to sleep.

I think the conventional wisdom of getting two cats is generally incorrect, especially if they're adult cats. When I had two cats they never really got along and there were some serious litter box issues that I wouldn't wish on my own worst enemy.