Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Had to put my cat Bear down today. It wasn’t completely out of nowhere - he had been losing weight, sometimes had a day or two of not eating and hiding - but it was a very steep decline over the course of a week culminating in hospitalization for 3 days. The vet thinks it was pancreatic cancer. He was 13 and I really thought he had a good few years left. Really gonna miss him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

spinst posted:

I'm sorry. He looks like he was a very good cat.

Thanks. He was kind of an rear end in a top hat, but I think he was doing his best. Or maybe I’m projecting.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Smirk posted:

Desperate plea: are there any Canadian goons who would be interested in adopting or fostering one or more cats from Abu Dhabi?

Long story short, I have four rescue cats, and need to leave Abu Dhabi soon, but due to COVID making a mess of things, I need to head for Toronto instead of back home to Australia, which means I can't keep the cats, or at least not all of them. Unfortunately, chances of rehoming locally are slim to none, so I'd like to rehome the cats in Canada, where prospects should be much better.

I've already contacted a few shelters in Toronto, but unfortunately none of them will accept cats directly from overseas. They might accept them once they're actually in Toronto, but I don't want to risk the cats being stuck in a boarding cattery indefinitely.

If anyone is able to help, or has any suggestions, please let me know. They are such wonderful cats, and I refuse to leave them behind.

Just look at these adorable jerks: (the black one on the left has a pretty good origin story)

I am not local and can’t help but isn’t that where Garfield always tried to ship Nermal to

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

teen witch posted:

hello cat thread, I’m absolutely petrified I’m making the most irreparable traumatizing decision for my cats and I’d like some help.

Me and my ex are semi going different ways. I’m just moving out of our shared apartment to another one a KM away, and we will see each other at least once a month if not more. We share four wonderful, amazing, loving cats together, two boys and two girls. My ex and I have a really solid friendship (we literally lived together after splitting for two years, we’re kind of siblings at this point)

We’re going to try a split custody situation, as my new partner, who I am going to move to this new apartment with, has three cats. His cats are friendly with me, but are a bit older, with one being a senior.

The plan is for my ex and I to have two of our cats at a time, either the boys or the girls, as the boys are litter mates and brothers, and the girls were adopted at the same time and closer to each other than they are to the boys. We’re thinking of switching off every month, give or take a few days so we can align schedules.

I’m absolutely for this plan, but I am also quite scared that this will somehow not work. I do know that this will take some time for the cats to get used to, as cats hate the new until it’s old.

The old apartment my ex is staying in, and will essentially serve as a “home base” for our four, and my partners cats will always stay at my new place.

What I’m afraid of is…

- the interval of every month switching is too short for adjustment

- stress moving back and forth (which I’ll expect for the first year or so to be normal, along with getting into any carrier)

- my partner’s cats. One is a senior and suffers no fools (but is very sweet), and my cats are 4-5 years old. The other two cats he has, one is very shy and jumpy, the other is a total mush and will likely warm up to my cats the quickest (as he’s still quite a young cat at heart)

- my cats. They’re all fairly bonded to one another as a group, and we’re splitting them by gender as they’re closest to their “gender-mates” so to say. The boys I’m not seriously worried about, but my girls are a bit trickier. I have one half laPerm girl who is incredibly intelligent, vocal, and particular with who she is near to and when, cat wise (she’s fine with people). We have a nice huge catio area that she will likely enjoy in the new apartment, but I don’t want her scared, she usually acts out the most when she’s scared (hissing and swiping). My other girl, a chubby tuxedo sweetie, is very shy and only hisses with “new” cats (like when her sister came back from the vet), otherwise she keeps mainly to herself and occasionally her sister. I’m not worried for her as so much as she is her “sister’s keeper” so to say, and that stress could stress her out?

- territory. we have three boys in this seven cat situation. One of my guys is particular about litter box cleanliness. The new apartment is considerably bigger than my old one, so physical space isn’t the issue, but I do dread finding mystery piss. I’m going to assume that yes, it’ll happen a few times, but eventually poo poo will even out.

I’m afraid that I’m loving up somewhere with this cat custody situation. Is there anything I can do to ease this, or things to keep in mind for all seven of these wonderful, loving cats in my life?

E: also said ex is a goon so lol there might be supplementary info I’m forgetting

The absolute best thing for the cats is for your ex to keep the four. the second best thing is for you to take a bonded pair and your ex to keep another. the third best is for you to keep all 7. the fourth best is to rehome all of them as a unit. Switching off monthly doesn't even make the list. It might work OK if you didn't have 3 other cats you were bringing into the picture and your four cats were easy going and adaptable to new places, but as it stands your four cats and your new partner's 3 cats are going to have to figure out territory and pecking order for a time every other month.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

xzzy posted:

If it seems like it's the shape of the litter robot that's an issue or maybe they don't like pooping in a cave, there's other manufacturers to choose from. The oldest designs are basically traditional litter boxes with a motorized comb that would sift the poo and piss bricks into a little bin. Maybe skittish kitties would have an easier time with that.

I had the Pet Safe Scoop Free Ultra and don't recommend it. The one I had used crystals so the piss just kinda soaked in and you would still have to replace all the litter every 2 weeks or so, which was a messy pain in the rear end process. You take the top out of the base, there's inevitably some stuff stuck to the comb mechanism which gets on the floor, etc - and meant that while there was no poop odor there was still pee odor. I ended up switching back to a manual litter box as it was less work. There may be better ones out there that use the same basic mechanism, though.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I had to put my cat down a few months ago and I'm thinking about adopting two kittens. The last time I "had" a kitten was when my parents adopted one when I was in middle school, so I don't really remember how much work they are. What I remember is the kitten wasn't really much more work than an adult cat; she was litter trained already and the main difference was she demanded a lot of attention all the time (there was a lot of mewing outside bedrooms doors at night, I think I "solved" that issue by keeping my door open). I'm thinking two cats would help with that part as I live alone and am pretty busy. Do they need to be fed more frequently? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

IUG posted:

Are there any cat DNA testing things that are worth the money? My wife love that Ancestery.com stuff, and I was going to try to get her something like that for Christmas, but for our cats.

She posted one of our cats got posted to Reddit (I know), and she got like 560 upvotes. One of the comments was that our gray cat looks like she has some diluted Tortie or Callico in her given the peach color she has in some of her fur. I thought it might be fun to see exactly what kind of cats we have.

I wouldn’t recommend it. The FBI uses those databases to frame cats for murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

How do cat brains interpret wiggling toes under a blanket? Do they know it’s my toes under there and play along for fun, do they actually think it’s a small prey animal, or do they not even understand the concept of “under the blanket” and the moving bump itself is what they are attacking?

I’m no cat scientist but I think it’s pure instinct, no thought process behind it. A prey animal hiding under leaves or in grass would move similarly so it’s just “this is how I’m programmed to react.” The blanket also is going to have your scent, the cats scent, other familiar home scents etc; real prey would have its own scent and make different noises, so maybe that keeps the cat more in “play” mode.