Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

So I know that giving canned pumpkin to a kitty with poopie problems is supposed to help...but how much should you give him? And how many times, or for how long? We have some feline diarrhea and I've never given pumpkin to a kitty before. I know about it from lurking PI. :) Nibler belongs to my sister and her bf, they just got him but we aren't sure how old he is. I would guesstimate that he is between 3-5 months or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

Helanna posted:

Don't use a flea collar. Take him for a vet checkup just to make sure everything is okay, and the vet will be able to give you decent flea and worming medications. The stuff you buy in a pet store is awful; at best it won't work, at worst it will harm/kill your cat.

Good that you adopted an abandoned cat though :) We need pics!!

Seconding this. My sister and her boyfriend (who I live with) just adopted a stray off the street. We made the mistake of getting a flea collar.

He's prolly 2-3 months old. It made him sick...very runny diarrhea, and he was very lethargic. If we had left it on, I think it might have eventually killed him.

As a side note, a vet told us that you can bathe a cat in dawn dish soap and it kills fleas, and that worked great. It took a week to get him a vet appointment, which is today, and we had to do something about the fleas because he was just covered with them, and there's already another cat in the house. We expect the vet to give him some Advantage or something along those lines today.

So unless another PI person can recommend why the Dawn is a bad idea, you could try that if it can't wait.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

Yeah just throwing it out there. It worked really well for little Nibbler. Also he came back from the vet with shots, age guestimated at about 4 months, dewormed and otherwise given a perfect bill of health! Neuter to come in about a month. I hope to post some pics of him and his new big brother Salem later maybe. Currently Nibbler is sleeping on my chest. I'm tempted to make a thread but I dunno.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

My kitten is stupid when it comes to the litter box. He always reaches way too far and too high and therefore scratches the side of the box rather than the litter. He of course scratches incessantly for like 5 minutes at a time since digging at plastic doesn't do the job. I am using one of those big Rubbermaid tubs with a hole cut into the side. I upgraded them to a really big one (footprint is probably 2.5 feet by 1.5 feet) to see if that helped and it only has a little bit. Now he actually hits litter a tiny percentage of the time rather than never. I'm not sure what would help besides a swimming pool-size box and the little 'tard would probably still find the sides. His brother has no trouble burying his poo poo and ends up burying stupid cat's poo poo too, usually. How can I teach my durfy kitten to bury properly?

Try picking him up and putting him in the litter box. He doesn't have to be peeing/pooping. Then, grab his front paws (one in each hand) and dig into the litter with them. This is how I potty train all of my kitties. His digging instincts should take over from there, and hopefully digging in the litter will show him where exactly to dig. Other than that, maybe try a different litter? He may just not like the kind you have.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

litter troubles

I dunno. The main thing is to grab his paws and dig in the litter with them. His instincts should take over from there. I've never had it not work. How often are you cleaning his box? My sister and her boyfriend are having a problem with their new kitten, sometimes he wont use the litter box. I rather suspect that it's because they aren't scooping it enough.

Try a more litter? Other than that maybe get a bag of Cat Attract litter. I've never tried it personally but other PI goons are always raving about it. I'm honestly stumped, I've never had a cat that didn't learn from the paw digging trick.I think ChairmainMeow may be correct.

I think if I were you I would talk to your vet about his behaviors.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

:words:

Are you feeding him different flavors of wet food or different brands or what?

This is probably largely the problem. Cats, and kittens in particular have pretty sensitive tummies. Give him some canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just canned pumpkin) in with his food. It should help make his poops less runny. I kinda thought before he might have the kitty runs. If you haven't already, I'd suggest stopping over in the pet nutrition thread and discussing your food choices there. They can probably better advise you about the wide variety of food you are giving him.

I would personally give them one dry food, and just stock up on a couple flavors of wet food, and not change it up so much. Pick a couple flavors that you know they like and just buy it in bulk.

At least he isn't doing what my sister's kitten was doing...having his runny poops in a chair instead of the litterbox (which was badly in need of scooping)!

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

Yeah, we switch between Innova and Wellness. Wellness is the only one that comes in flavors so we'll probably just stick with that one (unless anyone thinks Innova/EVO is better I guess). We do just stick with one brand of dry food at least. We can try to find some canned pumpkin too.

Would it be OK if we just mixed in small amounts of other foods into their Wellness to add variety/prevent pickiness? Or would that probably make them sick too? We could mix in the pumpkin along with it.

I wouldn't. Pick a flavor they like and eat without coaxing, and just give them that.

It would be the equivalent of eating something that ALWAYS gives you diarhea all the time, and taking Pepto after every meal. I doubt your kitties want to live that way ;) The canned pumpkin is a short term solution, like to help transition from crap grocery store food to ultra premium food. It's not something you should have to give them all the time.

Just stick to something you know they will eat. Cat pickiness is going to come from things like letting them get away with begging for people food and stuff. Make sense?

If you haven't already then pop over to the pet food thread. They can help you a lot with specifics. It's great that you are giving your pets the best foods. But, you don't need to give them every brand of good food.

It reminds me of a time as a kid I decided to wash my hair with every kind of shampoo my mom had in the bathroom thinking that she would be happy. I got yelled at, and informed that the different kinds of shampoo would probably work against eatch other. :(

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

Yisan posted:

Another Kitten Question!

We got our two kittens about a month ago and everything is fine and well. This question regards the litterbox and how they don't bury their shits/pees/whatevers. The thing about it is though is I have tried the "bury the litter with their paws" trick and they don't seem to be getting it. What they do in a medium sized litter box with a cover is they will do their thing and then scratch at the sides of the litter box. I think they think they are burying, when they are not. Interesting stuff. If anyone has any suggestions to this that would be great.

Have you tried a larger box, or more boxes? If you can catch them "in the act" maybe try the paw-scoopy trick (as I will now call it) and bury it to show them?

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

Help!

We are having a serious flea problem. We have two cats, and are using frontline from the vet. Can anyone recommend a good spray or whatever to use on furniture/carpets? Poor kitties are miserable and we are working on getting rid of the fleas, but not sure how to get them out of carpets/furniture.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

No one has a good flea product recommendation?

Also, what is the best way to trim a kitty's claws? I've successfully talked my sister out of the pedipaw thing, so now we need to figure out what product to get to trim the claws.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

So we sort of inadvertantly got adopted by a kitten last night. He appears to be without a mommy kitty. He looks to be about 4 weeks old or so, maybe 6 but that might be pushing it. He is able to eat dry food ok, and drinking water.

However we can't get him to use the litter box. Also, he has peed a couple of times but he hasn't pooped at all. He eats a lot though, so we're kind of concerned. We've put him in the litter box several times and also tried to stimulate his butt with a washcloth a few times, but so far he hasn't passed anything solid. We've had him for about 20 hours now.

Otherwise, he cries a lot until you hold him and pet him, and kneads us constantly. He's played a little but mostly he seems interested in pets and cuddles, and food.

Does this sound ok? We're worried about the fact that he hasn't pooped at all (he has farted a lot, though).
Bonus pic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

I'm not too sure about the poop thing but I'd probably just get him to the vet ASAP so that they can see how he's doing. He's pretty young and you don't now how long he's been alone, if he's been eating OK, etc.

Well good news is he has pooped and is going in the litter box now.

We've decided that we can't really keep him due to budget constraints and stuff, but we will find him a good home or at least see if a local rescue can take him. I wish we could keep him, he's too cute. :(