Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Fire In The Disco posted:

It just takes a little time. When a cat gets spayed or neutered, their scent changes. I've seen the same thing happen with each of my cats when they went in. Within less than a day things were back to normal.

It's been over a day now and they're still at eachother's throats, but the nurse at the vet clinic told me that it's just a matter of time (I hope!) because of said change of scent/the anaesthetic leaving the body. Went down early today and got a Feliway diffuser with pheromones that are supposed to calm them down, I certainly hope that helps a bit because they got into two or three really ugly bitchfights yesterday. We're keeping them in separate rooms for now, it's really sad to see two cats that have been living together peacefully for ~6 years (save the occasional playful sparring) suddenly be ready to tear eachother apart like rabid alley cats. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Why yes, I do have a new kitten. Why do you ask?

The offender in question:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Kaiho posted:

I moved with my cat to the US from Europe last year. She was prescribed Advantage Plus as a flea and heartworm treatment in her checkup here in Chicago, which I've now given the last of the dose of.

I find it so bizarre that I need a prescription to buy flea treatment for my stupid indoor cat, and that it costs like $25 per dose wtf.

Would the vet charge for re-prescribing? Also, are they fleecing me by recommending the Advantage Plus (selamectin and sarolaner)?

I moved with two cats from Europe to the US back in 2014. Just out of curiosity, what was your experience moving with a cat across the Atlantic? I found it to be one of the most stressful things I've ever done but thankfully the cats made it through alive and well.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Kaiho posted:

I felt bad for her the entire run up to it, throughout it, and was terrified of opening the crate when she arrived. It was a stressful week because it was also hot in Europe then and they were parking all pet flights but we had to get out there etc etc.

She thankfully settled into the new life well though, but she has always been super adaptable, if noisy.

I don't think I could have done it without the relocation service handling the logistics.

Are there services you can contract that will move pets for you long distance like that? I handled everything myself and it still feels like an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Kaiho posted:

My cat's travel and transfers were organised by World Care Pet, for what it's worth. I couldn't have added booking catteries, transport, flights, etc on top of the poo poo I was dealing with so glad they exist.

Thanks for the tip. I hope I never have to move cats long distance like that again, but it's good to know that these kinds of services exist if it turns out I need to bite the bullet.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Does anyone have any tips on making cats less terrified of going into carriers? We have 4 cats, two of them have absolutely no issues with carriers and are completely chill about it, the other two think that they are implements of Satan will run away like missiles when they realize you're trying to get them into one.

FWIW we leave the carriers out with the door flaps open so the cats can come and go as they please in an effort to make them associate the carriers a bit less with horribleness but it doesn't seem to make them less terrified of the things when it's time to go to the vet.

The two that are terrified of carriers are from the same litter and we adopted them together a few years ago as adults, so I'm wondering if their previous owners were trying to chase them into carriers on the reg or something.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 30, 2024

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I found that building one of these things is a very good idea if you have cats, especially if you have cats with long or semi-long fur like mine have. Helps with odors, is also great at just filtering out ambient dust and strands of pet fur floating through the air. I made mine with MIRV 13 filters which supposedly can filter out pretty much anything.

It's like ~$50 worth of material and you have a very effective, high-capacity air filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw7fUMhNov8

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Kramdar posted:

I just made this and my wife just left me.

drat dude, sorry your wife doesn't like good air filtration. Anyway gl with the divorce maybe they'll let you see your kids once a month or something.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I would have your vet check if your cat has kitty arthritis. My 14 year old cat has a mild form of it and gets a dietary supplement (Dasuquin) which seems to help a bit.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Khizan posted:

I've got this Catit one and it's been very solid. Quiet, holds a lot of water, very easy to clean.

I got one of these for my cats last year and all three of them just looked at it like it was a UFO, and promptly ignored it. I had it out for weeks and regularly cleaned it and swapped out the water, but I don't think I saw them drink from it even once.

I might get a larger one with an open reservoir of water, the kind that's marketed towards dog owners, and preferably made out of stainless steel or porcelain. I suspect I may have better luck with that. But yeah, that flower fountain one was a complete no-go for me.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

In the absence of any other changes, my best guess is that the cat that was outside smelled different and that upset the other cat. Some cats don't care at all about situations like that, and some are super sensitive and a seemingly minor change will set them off. There's not much you can do other than just wait it out.

Otherwise, watch for other personality changes in both cats. One (or both) might be hiding some pain or illness, cats are really good at that.

While I don't know if this is the case with gloom's cats, I cannot emphasize enough how another cat suddenly smelling differently can set off some cats, even if it's one they've been living together with for years. I had two female cats like ~15 years ago, and one day I went to get one of them spayed. When I brought her back home her fellow cat, whom she had been living with since I got them like 5 years earlier, went absolutely ballistic. I guess with her lady parts gone she now had a different scent, and I think the evening after I brought her back from the vet they had a major dustup, I think it only lasted for a few seconds before I managed to break it up but to this day it was easily the most vicious cat fight I've witnessed. Thankfully in my case there seemed to be no injuries and they were both fine with each other again after a couple of days.

IIRC cats don't really remember much by way of visuals, we're all diffuse blobs to them, scent and sound is how they remember things.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

All foods have the same nutrition, regulated by the FDA. There's a lot of advertising gobbldygook that passes for knowledge in the pet food area.

Feed your kitten whatever it likes and whatever you can afford. It will be fine.

I've always been under the impression that the big brands usually found in grocery stores (Meow Mix, Friskies, Purina etc) are for the most part garbage filler, and if you make a habit out of feeding your cats that stuff it will increase the risk of them turning into fat blimps with diabetes and kidney issues. But I will also admit that I don't compare ingredients and nutrients as much as I probably should, so maybe I'm way off base.

That said I usually alternate between a few different brands so my cats don't get bored. For wet food I usually give them Hill's Science Diet Chicken Entrée pate (current favorite) and different Weruva flavors. Applaws wet food is also excellent, but pricey. For dry food I'm feeding them Royal Canin Adult Indoor at the moment.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Took my little grey dude to the vet today for an ultrasound after the vet heard a heart murmur a while back, but due to his fear of cat carriers I had to reschedule a couple of times but thankfully I got it done and the results came back all clear, so that was a relief. He's still all wobbly from the anesthesia though, I feel sorry for him. Hopefully some extra treats can smooth over this indignity.