Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

BanjoFish posted:

Question time:

This handsome fellow showed up at my parents house 3 days ago.

According to the vet he is a ragdoll, about 4 years old, and completely healthy, except for some dirty ears. He was found on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere two weeks ago by a friend, most likely abandoned (which is really weird, because he is obviously an expensive cat). He lived with her for about 10 days. After flyering all over the place, no one has claimed him, and he has come to live with us on a trial basis.

He is a very docile cat, and in many ways very sweet, but not terribly affectionate. I've never adopted an adult cat before, so I don't really know how bonding works, but so far, he has been sort of distant. He really likes being around people and sitting near us, but hasn't been cuddly, and hasn't come to sit on out laps or play with us or anything. He has a favorite chair that he sleeps on, and whenever I pick him up, he just walks back over to it and plops down.

Basically, my question is how long should I expect before this cat bonds with us and starts acting how he would under normal circumstances? Is there anything we can do to help him out? We really want this cat to love us, but so far he seems a little indifferent.

He looks almost the same as my cat, but mine has a white splotch on his face. The vet I talked to also said he was a Ragdoll, but I think he looks more like a Birman. It's a bit confusing since you can find pictures that look the same for both breeds on different websites.

I've had my cat for about 5 years now and his behavior has continued to change gradually throughout that time, becoming more affectionate. When I first got him, he refused to sit on my lap unless he was facing forward. Now he'll usually get right up in my face while kneading my stomach. I think you should definitely give him a chance because it's a great type of cat. Just brush at least once a day and you shouldn't have any trouble with matting and only an occasional hairball.

On to my questions... I have a single adult male cat. We get along great together but I think he's getting more bored and lonely staying at home alone while I'm working. He's kept indoors, but I do take him out on a leash to explore the yard every few days.

I've been thinking about adopting a kitten for a while now, but I'm not sure about it. My cat gets along with other cats well enough, as long as they aren't in his territory (my apartment/house). If they come inside then he'll start growling and hissing at them, but not attack.

So I'm not sure about adopting. Should I go for a kitten? How young/old? Male or female? What about 2 kittens to entertain themselves and not bother the adult as much? Would an older cat, say 2+ years, still be an option? My main concern is that they get along well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I've had a cat living with me solo for about 6 years and finally decided to get him a buddy. I went to the shelter and picked out this tabby girl that seemed pretty chill when hanging out in a room of other cats.

The shelter estimated 3-4 years and the vet estimated 4-5 years, so call her 4 years old.

The introduction process went pretty well starting with isolation and then exchanging spaces, brief supervised co-mingling and eventually freedom. Unfortunately since then the new girl has been chasing my older cat around the house all the time, trying to bite or swat his butt in the process. He is really not into that, growls and hisses while being chased and finds a window perch or other high place for refuge. He'll swat back a little but then turn around and run. I thought it would get better but it's been like this for a few weeks.

They have a multiple scratching posts, a big new cat tree, a crinkly tunnel, one of those S-shaped cat scratchers and plenty of catnip balls and toys to play with. She really seems like she just wants to play, but isn't getting the hint that he doesn't. They'll both play with Da Bird for 20 minutes or so, but then she's right back to chasing him after a nap.

So what should I try next? Squirt her when she chases him? Get one or more Feliway diffusers to place throughout the house?

Bonus question, although it's more a DIY thing: The new cat likes to claw up the floor registers and tunnel through the heating vents, and I've caught her doing it twice so far. I've got the vents on carpet weighted down and the ones on tile taped down. What's the best way to secure them? From what I've read the typical approach is to drill holes in the register and screw them down. I think that will work but some of the holes in the floor are large enough that it might be very close to the edge of the hole and the register.

Caught in the act:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
They aren't truly fighting but it seems like a lovely deal for the old cat to be constantly harassed by her. She does it during the day and night, but the stuff between 2 and 4 AM is getting a little old for me. I'm going to try a Feliway diffuser and a more agressive Da Bird workout before bed.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I really think the Why? is the important question. If you can figure out why she wants them to go out then you can come up with an appropriate alternative. Harness and leash for outside time without the risk of running off would be one of them.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

The only thing I can think of is she spent the first 3 years of her life at that house and those were her "stomping grounds". Beyond that I'm pretty clueless.

Sorry, I meant: Why does your wife want them to go out?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
If it's a long-haired cat then you're going to want a brush to use daily or else hairballs get puked up in the middle of the night.

Aside from the money you also need to allocate some time for daily care: cleaning the litter box, replacing water, filling the food bowl and brushing at least once a day. Making time for 15 or more minutes of play time daily is also recommended.

Also, two cats is not much more work than one and they'll have each other to keep them company if everyone is out of the house for work during the day. And you have the potential for kitty piles. :3:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I've got a foster pregnant kitty in my garage. I'm looking for a specific list of stuff I should be doing before/during/after birth.

Right now she has several beds, some with heating mats. She gets as much wet Fancy Feast as she wants to eat, usually 3-5 cans per day, supplemented with a bowl of dry food that's always available and fresh water.

Here are some photos for your consideration:

4/30

5/3

5/15

5/19

She was found by my friend hanging around a clients home. She is very people-oriented and friendly. Super chill going outside on a leash. We have a local vet that will spay/neuter any strays for free so we'll get that taken care of before the kittens get adopted out. Hopefully mama kitty gets along with my other two cats and I can adopt her. Name suggestions are also appreciated.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I've got a foster pregnant kitty in my garage. I'm looking for a specific list of stuff I should be doing before/during/after birth.

Welp, just got a call that there are kittens now. Good thing I moved her inside to a spare bedroom last night.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
One of my cats LOVES cardboard boxes. You may need to experiment a little with size and shape. My other cat only sleeps on fabric and changes his preference once or twice per year. His current favorite is a microfiber suede footstool.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Welp, just got a call that there are kittens now. Good thing I moved her inside to a spare bedroom last night.

Final count is 6 kittens. Looks like 2 black with a bit of white, 2 calico although one is almost completely white, 1 tabby and 1 orange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

mune posted:

Also, I live in a studio apartment (as I mentioned before) but I'm planning on getting a cat tree. Is this a bit too much? It doesn't seem like it takes up that much space width/lengthwise and I've already got an area in mind where it fits, but is this overkill for two cats, one of whom is gonna be very, very big?

Thirdly, I saw some stuff at Petco which had Feliway in it, but it was a diffuser and from what I've read, people mostly seem to prefer it as a spray. What would you recommend?

Those uppermost platforms may be difficult for your fat cat to get on. I have a similar tree but it's not as wide. Even though it's a little unsteady my younger cat is happy to perch up on top. My older cat (not a fatty) doesn't go more than halfway up. What they really love is getting up into the windows to look outside. I've used two of these windows perches and the cats loved them but the adhesive on the velcro doesn't tolerate being removed and reapplied somewhere else. The price is right if you don't plan to move them. I'm planning to custom build some more durable perches soon.

I got some Feliway in a diffuser when introducing my second cat and it didn't make any difference at all. I think with kittens you aren't going to have as much trouble introducing them.