Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My girlfriend had a small bouquet of flowers that was dying. One of the tulip flower pedals fell off the ground as we were throwing it away we didn't notice and we caught my cat in the midst of partially eating it. Called my vet, they said take him to emergency ER. Did that, and they said "well he only ate half a pedal, and not the pollen, leaf or bulb. He's fine to go home, and will probably just have slight diarrhea for the next day or two." Given what my vet said about tulips being poisonous, is this okay? I know lillies are the death trap over tulips, but I'm probably overthinking it. They didn't even suggest to induce vomiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Deteriorata posted:

Given what the ER vet said, your cat may have slight diarrhea for the next day or two.

"They're toxic" is a general statement that doesn't necessarily apply to every part of the plant. Some bits are worse than others.

Yeah, I know the pollen part is worse, but I guess I'm just surprised they didnt have him vomit to get what they could out just to play it safe.

Dumb cat. After an initial 3 minute hiding session after getting home, hes back on my lap like nothing happened:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

HungryMedusa posted:

I read the OP and I get it, but is two really better than one? My husband is mildly allergic to cats. Will two be a lot worse than one in that regard? I don't think so; we know people with allergies and multiple cats, and we plan on grooming, vacuuming a lot; I will probably buy a HEPA filter for the living room and I am prepared to rip the carpet up, possibly even this weekend. Is one kitten doomed to be a lonely jerk, even with a playful doofus dog and pre-teen to play with?

Make sure your vacuum has a HEPA filter as well, otherwise you’re just gonna kick the particles back into the air when you vacuum.

My girlfriend is very allergic, so I vacuum every other day, put allerpet on my cat, get him a lion cut once a month to reduce shedding, and have an air purifier in each room with a powerful one in my living room where we are the most.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My cat loves Da Bird toy (especially the mouse attachment one) but holy hell these things are fragile and the strings break so easy. Is there a beefy version of that toy that I could actually get more than a month’s worth of use out of?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

spinst posted:

Sigh. My cat Betty. Alternatively known as Butts, or "Why are you doing that?"

She's a lot.

I'm going to start with the cat-tax, hopefully to entice you to read my post:

I would consider Betty a very anxious cat. It seems to be getting worse with time. She is 7 years old, I've had her since she was a kitten (however the youngest they are allowed to spayed is). When she was younger (first three years or so) she was wary of visitors but not confrontational or anything. She would meow and move away if other people tried to pet her. If they continued, she would swat and hiss. The vet would have to sedate her in order to really do, anything. In the last few years I've noticed her get more and more territorial(?) with visitors. Lots of really loud meowing, swatting if the visitor got too close (could be just walking by her), putting herself between me and the person, etc. It's gotten to the point that if I know someone is coming over, I lock her up in the spare bedroom.

I bought a house that we moved into about two months ago. Since then, she has been cranked up to 11. This isn't our first move, after handing all previous moves fine, so I don't think it's that. I notice it's worse when any of the windows are open. I have noticed a cat or two outside, so I wonder if she can smell them and it's freaking her out? She's starting to get 'territorial' with me and I hate it. Swatting at me when I'm trying to get something she's near, sometimes coming over and biting me for no reason...

Anyway, what can I do? Will it get better?

I've tried Feliway in the past which had no effect.

Seconding a check in with your vet, and you would likely need some anti anxiety meds for Betty. My cat Raiden went through something similar. He started off friendly with people but became more shy over time, then went from being ok being picked up to hating it (he will still hop on a lap if it's on his own terms). He was fine while I was living alone but when I moved in with my girlfriend he didn't take it well. He wasn't a very destructive cat but wrecked some door siding in our condo.

I got him to the vet and he's on meds now. He's much more chill, and not as destructive. He still meows when hes bored and/or wants attention but cats gonna cat. Biggest change I noticed was that he used to completely freak when I vacuumed and hide under my dresser. Now he will even be in the same room as the vacuum as long as he's at a higher vantage point and just sort of watch it. I haven't had a chance to see him around new people because of covid so no idea how he will do with that. But he's getting along with my girlfriend, even if she has no idea how to interact with cats!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Do any of you have a good way to get a cat to drop a toy? The sole toy my cat seems to like is a mouse on a string but he's getting way too good at catching it. When he does he will do everything to hold on to it. I dont want to pull too hard and hurt his mouth. I can bribe him with treats but I don't want him gaining weight.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah, why do you need him to drop it? Let him have it for a bit and he will drop it. Or play gentle tug of war with him.

My goal is 1. Trying to tire him out with constant mouse chasing, and 2. Making sure he doesn't destroy the toy. He would likely take the mouse somewhere and rip it to shreds.

Edit: I do have another copy of the toy, sort of. I could try doing that and see what happens.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wish there were more urine crystal preventing food than what Royal Canin offers as a prescription :smith:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was playing with my cat using a mouse on a string, and in an effort to get it out of his mouth when he caught it, I grabbed another mouse to coax it out of his mouth, and he responded but eating the whole thing, including the hook. Now I'm at the ER waiting to get him in to vomit it out. Fun!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Would you like a business card?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone ever used silver vine as a catnip alternative? Catnip does nothing for my cat, so I tried that, reading somewhere that 80% of cats like it. I put down a little in front of my cat, and he got extremely offended by it, and started cowering away from me and looked about ready to hiss at me when I presented it to him :( What a waste.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BrainDance posted:

I have used valerian, I've even grown it when I lived with a big yard and cats that would go for a stroll out in the garden. They would go nuts for the plant even before cutting/drying or any of that. Just a bunch of cats rolling around in a patch of valerian.

The thing about fresh valerian is it really does smell strongly like a foot so you gotta deal with that. I haven't even heard of the other plant (though I guess I'll pick some up and try it now)

We're not talking about a kitten right Seiferguy? Cats don't really respond to catnip usually before they get older, usually around 6 months.

Nah, 7 year old cat. I got a toy thats meant for the cat to bite into it to clean their teeth, it has a catnip bag in it to entice the cat but it wasn't doing anything for him. Hence why I tried something else. I'll look into valerian since silver vine scared the poo poo out of him.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

illcendiary posted:

Idiot cat ate 2.5 feet of yo-yo string. Spent $450 at the emergency hospital trying to get him to throw up (which apparently included the vet spinning him in a chair to make him dizzy) to no avail. Now I get to watch his turds for the next two days :mad:

I feel you. My cat ate a dang mouse toy, and I had to take him to the emergency vet to get him to throw up too. The mouse toy had a metal hook on it, but thankfully they got him to throw up on the second dose of meds.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So I'm getting a new job (yay), but in July of next year I'll be required to relocate to San Jose (from Seattle). I'm thinking about how to move my cat, if it would be better to do the 14-15 hour drive there, or if I should fly him down. Some things to consider:

- my cat hates being picked up (but will happily hop into a lap to snuggle) and I've read going through security at an airport will require him to be taken out of his carrier.
- I use gabapentin to make traveling to appointments for him and it works great.
- he has a heart murmur. The vet doesn't think its too serious given the rest of his blood work and urinalysis is fine, but I'll get him an ultrasound before doing anything crazy. I have no idea how much cabin air pressure will impact him.

Thoughts? I'll eventually have to drive down there regardless but its more about making it easier on the cat. If an hour and half at the airport + 2 hour flight would be a lot less stressful than the long drive plus any stops i have to make, I'm down to pay the extra seat ticket for him.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

BaronVonVaderham posted:

In my experience, as long as they are ok with the carrier, the drive is worth the time. I have never met a cat that flew well. They're going to be far less stressed in the car because even if they're screaming at the start, after an hour tops they're just going to go to sleep.

The only caveat is then you need to think of your drive from their perspective. I can do a 24 hour marathon between here and Michigan, I've done it multiple times (solo even), but kitty can't. You're going to have to do that 16-hour trip in two 8-hour legs with a stop over in a hotel....but that's still way cheaper than the plane tickets anyway.

Yeah seems more likely to do the drive. He's a pretty quiet car ride as long as I put a blanket over his carrier and give him some gaba. But it will definitely make sense to find a pet friendly hotel along the way so he can eat / drink / pee.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Corte posted:

Anyone have issues with hardwood floors? My apartment is nothing but hardwood and my guy goes slipping and sliding when we play or I toss treats for him to hunt down. I try to play around his scratching post at times so he has something to grip on to. My apartment isn't shaped very well for rugs/carpets and smaller ones would probably just slide around.

In my previous place I had hardwood floors and my cat wasn't a fan of playing on it. I got a cheap $10 rug and he was really a fan of it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I noticed that my cat had some scabs in his armpit area. Then today, he hopped on my lap and I noticed he had a scab on his head:

It looks like a scab, isn't bumpy, and doesn't seem to bother him when I touch it. Is it vet visit worthy? I live indoors and he goes to a groomer monthly to get a bath / haircut. Is there anything I can put on to treat it?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ghost Cactus posted:

Looks like it might be ringworm. Ringworm is actually a fungus. Your vet will have shampoo or cream for the cat. They will test by shining a special light on the cat to see if the patch fluoresces. Humans can get it too. You can use lotramin or similar if you find lesions on your skin.

Alright, I'll take him in then.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm a little late and should have spoken earlier, but I'd second their evaluation, that looks like when our Russell got a ringworm spot & others before him at the shelter. Definitely play it safe and get them started on treatment, it's not terribly hard to deal with when it happens as long as you're thorough. Keep in mind it can spread to people & linger in the environment, and consider a quarantine if your home allows for it. Gonna be a fair amount of disinfecting to do and possibly replacing some things. Your vet will go over all that with you.
Good luck on a quick recovery.

Yeah, I'm a pretty active cleaner, and thankfully he sleeps on the couch which always has a washable couch cover on it.

The earliest for a non-urgent care my vet can get me in is early next week. Should this be an urgent care matter? The difference is $85, which I'm willing to pay if its a serious issue.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Cat update:

seiferguy posted:

I noticed that my cat had some scabs in his armpit area. Then today, he hopped on my lap and I noticed he had a scab on his head:

It looks like a scab, isn't bumpy, and doesn't seem to bother him when I touch it. Is it vet visit worthy? I live indoors and he goes to a groomer monthly to get a bath / haircut. Is there anything I can put on to treat it?

Took him to the vet earlier this week, and they did some hair analysis and got the results today. No ringworm :toot: vet thinks something on his head aggravated him like a bug bite.

Also, he normally has a heart murmur when they check his pulse, and there was no murmur today, so double good news!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My cat has been... acting a bit weird since last night. He sometimes acts upset when we're getting ready to leave (i.e. gets the look of sadness / fear in his eyes), but when we come back, he's usually fine. When we got back from the grocery store, I changed my couch covers (I do this every other week) and he immediately cowered behind a door, laying down in a "I know I'm going to the vet" type look. After awhile, he kind of came out, sniffed around but when I went to look at him he walked away and hid in his cat house. Later on, he did eventually come out and jump back on the couch with us while we were watching tv and cuddled a bit. Then later he hopped on my lap while I played some games. He's since been sleeping in his house this morning when he normally sleeps on the couch in the morning. He ate his food this morning, hasn't thrown up, and last night he peed and pooped with no abnormal signs as far as I could tell, and doesn't seem to be any labored breathing.

He was just at the vet earlier this week, and the general checkup was that he looked to be in good health (basic stuff, she felt his body, his pulse, ears, mouth, eyes etc.). I probably overreacting a bit, and he's still somewhat of a nervous cat and has had bladder struvite crystals in the past (he's on urinary S/O food for this). I dunno if that trip to the vet still annoyed him or something. I know cats gonna cat, I'm just not sure when to tell if it's an emergency or not.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My cat has been acting scared for over a week since his last vet visit. I don't get it. He normally roams the house and hangs out wherever but now he's been spending most of his days in his enclosed cat house, and while he will occasionally come out, the moment he feels like something is off, he runs back there.

I don't know if something triggered him, or if he's feeling sick. He's eating / drinking/ using the litter box all the same otherwise.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've had 3 cats and 2 dogs socialize with each other and each experience varies differently:

- We had 2 cats and got an adult dog. The dog was an rear end in a top hat to said cats. It eventually became an uneasy peace between them.
- We then got a puppy. She was a very sweet dog but the cats didn't want anything to do with her. They ignored each other, which was fine.
- after the older dog and one of our cats passed away, we got another kitten. We held him while our dog sniffed him. After a couple "introductions" they loved each other and would sleep together in bed. One thing to note is that this cat still hated other dogs and would hide if someone came over with a different dog.

So yeah, basic thing I learned is socializing at a young age is the best.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My 10 year old cat suddenly has developed diarrhea. At first I thought it was from eating pine needles from our Xmas tree (which he would throw up and occasionally poop out), but we got rid of the tree and it's still occurring. I took him to the vet and got him on fortiflora (which he loves) and metronidazole (which he hates). Been about 4 days and it still hasn't gone away. The stool is still soft / unformed - though it has turned from bright brown to a normal medium brown. I'll probably call my vet to go get an ultrasound to see if there's any other blockage, but kind of unsure what else to do. He still eats and drinks normally, doesn't seem dehydrated, though he is a tad bit lethargic (I'm chalking that to the new meds).

I got a new bag of food on the way, in case the bag I have is tainted (he's on urinary SO from previous bladder blockages), but aside from that... no idea :sigh: wondering if I should switch him to reduced ingredient diet, if something is bothering his GI tract. He definitely scrounges around our kitchen looking for scraps so I do wonder if he's getting into something he shouldn't be.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

pidan posted:

You've basically listed all the possibilities:
- cat is eating something he shouldn't be
- cat has suddenly developed an intolerance to his food
- bad batch of food
- other illness that a vet needs to diagnose

If the new bag of food doesn't help I'd certainly talk to the vet again. Since you're already giving probiotics I don't think there's much else you can do. Maybe you could also check his water supply to see if there's anything that could cause a problem, maybe going so far as to boil water (long) before giving it to him.

Yeah, the last visit they basically didn't see anything else:

- normal temp
- nothing immediately noticeable by checking his body
- nothing in the stool sample analysis

Cats are weird!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Took my cat for a follow up for his poo issues. Vet thinks he's developed food sensitivities and will try a reduced ingredient food. Issue is he's got urinary issues, so I need to get the royal canin urinary SO / hydrolyzed protein, which I couldn't find anywhere in my state, nor was it on Chewy. I have to get it delivered from some farm store in Minnesota of all places.

He gained weight since his last visit, so I guess he's still absorbing food at least.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ofaloaf posted:

I moved from the US to Sweden three and a half years ago, and adopted a cat from a shelter a year and a half ago (he's turning 5 this year, I think). The little guy's always super-skittish around humans, and it wasn't until this past holiday season that he relaxed enough around me to accept and even ask for pets from me. In all the time I've had this guy, I've only taken him out of the apartment once, and he hated it, he hated traveling, and he hated anyone trying to touch him or pick him up to put him in a cat carrier.

That's all something I can mostly work with, I've been patient and waiting and understanding with him, and he being a shy little guy who doesn't want to socialize all the time is fine. The problem now is that I'm considering returning to the States, and I just don't know how to travel with him in a way that won't traumatize him and be a massive struggle for the entire process. I barely know what I need to do to bring a cat from Sweden to the US, I know just getting him in a cat carrier alone is going to be a Big Thing, and I'm terrified that the whole thing would undo the timid progress he's made socializing. What could I do to make the move less terrible for him, if I go through with the move?

Definitely check with a vet on something you could sedate him with, or help with. My cat used to be an awful traveler to the vet, then the vet suggested gabapentin for travel, either to a vet or groomer. Basically I give it to him the night before travel then about 45 minutes before I put him into a carrier. Calms him down significantly and allows the groomer to work with him without him being fussy about it. You may want something stronger for the long flight, however.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Had a really scary situation with my cat. Around Friday he started vomiting his food after eating. Now, he's a 10 year old cat and does that occasionally. Wasn't a huge deal and normally just eats too fast. Then he threw up his next meal. Then his next. Then he stopped wanting to eat dry food. I called airvet, and the vet told me to make a solution with pepcid AC to give to him in small amounts and get him into my vet soon. Seemed to help a bit as he ate a meal in the night. We gave him wet food which he ate then he finally stopped. I got an urgent care appointment with my vet, which got pushed to the next day right when I had a flight for work. He barely was peeing, and his poops were extremely liquid and small.

Thankfully my wife could take him, but when they got there they ran tests and couldn't figure out what was wrong. They noticed he was bloating badly and thought he had a blockage. Either he needed an exploratory laparatomy, or medically treat it and hope it would go away. Vet recommended the former. We went with it. When they went in, they found his stomach to be filled with "rotten milk" and drained it, then pumped his stomach. Saw his lymph node was enlarged while in there (not the cause of his tummy problems) so did a biopsy on it which we should get results soon on. He's on the mend now but an extremely scary situation. One of the first things he did when he got home was go pee, and apparently had one of the biggest pees of his life (not surprised as the vet connected him to saline as the whole ordeal left him a bit dehydrated) and a huge poop, that while soft, wasn't diarrhea. So that's all good. He's gonna be on drugs and a cone for awhile.

My wife has interfaced with the vet but I still can't figure out where the rotten milk came from or what it is. We don't drink milk in our house, and while he scrounges the kitchen for scraps of food the most he'd probably find is small pieces of cheese from when we make pizza or something. We had a big party this weekend and had stuff sitting around but no milk. Still puzzled about it, as if it was a different substance or not. But I had home this morning and get to watch him going now. Still a scary (and expensive) situation but I'm glad he's okay.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Get your cat checked at the vet to make sure they're medically cleared to fly too. While you're there, ask for some calming meds (100mg of gabapentin the night before and shortly before you leave for the airport will do wonders for you and the cat).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone had a cat with IBD? Since January my cat has had soft stools. He's also on urinary s/o food. Vet had me switch to hydrogenized protein + urinary since it was limited diet. Didn't really help. It culminated with my cat needing to get his stomach pumped 2 weeks ago when he couldn't absorb his food. Biopsy was inconclusive. But while he was recovering he was on sensitive stomach food short term and he started having normal stools again. It was short term, however. I slowly got him back to his normal food, and when that happened he started getting soft stools again.

I'm calling my vet and asking for suggestions but I'd love to have him on sensitive stomach food but worried about urine crystals, and I can't seem to find a good food between royal canin and science diet that would achieve both things.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dienes posted:

Rexie has bowel sensitivity issues. We do fountains + hydrolyzed protein dry AND wet food + presnisolone. She also gets pro and prebiotics, which seem to help stool consistency.

Yeah, Raiden has a couple water bowls, a fountain, and prior to his stomach pump I was giving him fortiflora probiotic once a day. It wasn't helping with stools very much. I'll probably have to add some sort of wet food in there since the sensitive stomach worked well. If he didn't have the urinary issues this would be so much easier.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Need an opinion on something. My poor cat had to get surgery a week ago - he had a bunch of gas in his stomach appear. Vet thought it was a perforation but they couldn't find any damage in surgery. He's recovering but almost certainly has IBD (he got a biopsy a day before he got surgery, still waiting for results). That said, he's recovering and can hopefully get his stitches out Tuesday, but we are leaving for our honeymoon Thursday and will be gone for 2 weeks.

Given his health, should I board him or have people come to the house to watch him? Unfortunately I haven't been able to find someone who can be here 24/7, but rather people who can come by for a day. If I had him boarded the people can give any meds he needs, but I know boarding is stressful for a cat too. He did alright in his recovery at the vet. But I worry if he has an incident while we are out, someone won't be around to help him.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

kw0134 posted:

I'd ask the vet if there is anything special that needs to be done, if they sign off on at-home recovery with largely the normal levels of care you'd give a cat then you can safely leave him at home. But if there's any chance that post surgical complications can arise then unless the cat will not tolerate being boarded you should do that instead.

Yeah my biggest concern is if he needs meds multiple times a day then it becomes tough for people to give it to him.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Anyone with cats on chlorambucil? My cat doesn't have cancer but got prescribed it on top of his budesionide for treating his IBS. When he went on budesionide it was because the prednisone spiked his blood sugar. It's better but my vet internist said his b12 levels are still low and he's not absorbing nutrients well hence the additional treatment. I'm still giving him b12 shots weekly too.

It's a strong drug, and one of the side effects is reduced appetite, and he's not eating as much. I'm wondering if this might be a bit too much for him to handle.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Pollyanna posted:

Jet was on chlorambucil for a solid year or so, up until his death. In general he tolerated it well, at least he was certainly more tolerant of a single pill once every two weeks compared to twice daily heart meds :v: I didn’t notice reduced appetite, and towards the end I moreso noticed him being obviously hungry but being in too much pain and discomfort to tolerate eating.

I’m very sorry to hear about your cat and his IBD. It’s a difficult condition to handle. Do keep an eye on his quality of life and his appetite, and make sure you’re watching his litter box use too. The more proactive you are, the better.

And you must be prompt and on time for every dose - make sure you schedule orders promptly and with reasonable time padding to allow for the long it takes to compound and sup the medicine. Trust me, you really don’t want to miss a dose because you ordered the meds too late and it’ll take two weeks to fill and skjslflaeufbsklfifaofooirhngpakbxjvoeuutacshdkgjaljfhwif fuckin. Whatever.

Right now he's on a pill every other day for it, so I'm hoping the vet can reduce the overall dosage to less frequently. His litter box use has been mostly fine since he went on budesionide.

His lead up to finding out he had IBD was much worse than IBD itself. Diarrhea almost every day, with my regular vet saying "oh just give him aome additive in his food." 2 ER visits later, second of which he was given a 50/50 chance. Now that he's being treated, its not bad. Just give him a pill once a day, and a B12 shot weekly.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Squashy Nipples posted:

My anxiety boy needs his feliway. I used three at once when I introduced the kittens, but now that I've weaned them off the Feliways, his anxiety is back, even though everyone gets along swimmingly.

If he's got anxiety maybe he might need something more than feliway? My cat has anxiety and I have him on fluoxetine which helps a ton.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DreamingofRoses posted:

I’m worried about my 15 year old guy who has a history of pancreatitis. He was feeling pretty poorly yesterday and had peed on the bedding he was laying on, so I got him to the vet. Turns out he has a minor UTI and some arthritis in his hips (and a knee injury somehow). Got him the cat arthritis shot (solensia I think?) a two-week injectable anti biotic and anti inflammatories. He’s been mostly resting since we got back, but has been able to get up and walk around, eat, drink water and pee in his litter box but I haven’t seen a bowel movement today or yesterday, and I’m pretty sure most of the day before? It’s hard to remember.

How much longer should I wait before I haul him back to the emergency vet?

My cat sometimes after vet visits takes awhile to poo, but it wouldn't hurt to call the vet. They might suggest giving him something to help move things along like some canned pumpkin or something. The side effects of the drugs he's getting may be constipation, so you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of cats eating, do cats lose their appetite a bit as they get older? My almost 11 year old has slowed down how much he's eaten, but last visit to the vet he's actually gained weight.

He also has IBS and is being treated for it through budesionide daily and chlorambucil every other week (which really messes with his appetite), but he's gone from waiting by his food an hour before the timer goes off to not even getting up to eat it when it goes off. I do have mirtazapine on hand if he doesn't eat for extended periods of time, but considering he's still eating some and not losing weight I'm not freaking out about it but a bit concerned. Vet seems to think he's fine aside from increased blood sugar as a result of his meds.