Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....
Can we talk about cat litter for a minute?

I just adopted a baby kitten last week, and I've already gone through an entire 15 lb container of Tidy Cats in under a week. Is that normal?

Also, she's been tracking her poop through the house after she uses her litter box. She goes to kick her poop, and then the poop sticks to the fur on her hindlegs. I discovered she had this problem a few days ago, at 2AM in the morning. After using her litter box, she jumped onto my bed and covered me, my bed, the walls, the floors, the carpets, etc with poop. My friend dubs this the Hurricane Chicken incident.

I don't know if it's the cat litter that's bad? I recently started using litterbox liners in order to make cleaning the litter box easier. Would that somehow render the litter less effective???? She didn't have the poo problem when I first got her.

I also recently changed up her diet. I had her on Iam's dry kitten food when I first got her, but she didn't really touch the stuff, so I went out and bought Wellness's wet kitten food, which she loved. She would also sporadically graze on the Iams's between meals. I think I had her on Iam's for 3 days before I decided to throw it out in favor of Wellness's dry kitten food. Admittedly, I didn't really transition her between the two different brands of cat food because she didn't seem to eat that much of the Iam's, and I heard that kittens can accept new foods more easily.

So what can I do about the poo problem? Is it the litter, the litterbox liners, her diet? Also, I live in an apartment and we keep her litterbox in the living room, so I need a good litter with strong odor control. I went out and bought a bag of The World's Best Litter or something like that, but I was kind of shocked that it cost $12 for a 7 pound bag. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't really know if it's that great.

Also: is clumping litter better than non-clumping? And how much litter should I be using a week???

This is Chicken the kitten, btw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Two questions:

1) Are kitty claw caps cruel? I want to get some kitty caps for my cat because she's a turd and has been scratching up the furniture/expensive rugs. But I'm having second thoughts because my boyfriend thinks that it's as mean as declawing since she won't have full faculty of her claws. I see her use her scratching post on a daily basis, but her nails are still really sharp.

2) Has anyone's cat ever had a major behavioral change after a visit to the vet? This cat used to have the most passive cat in the world. But after I took her to the vet for a teeth cleaning, she became super aggressive, and she lashes out at me whenever I try to cut her nails now.

Please give me ideas on how to dull this beast's claws:

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

My boyfriend is against it because "no one can confirm with certainty that it doesn't bother the cat." But we just made an agreement--he's going to buy a $200 scratching post for her to see if that will help with her nail situation. He's convinced that it will, but I'm extremely skeptical. If the ridiculously expensive scratching post doesn't work, I get to test the kitty caps on her and see how she copes with them. I'm being gung-ho about it because her visit to the vet happened 3 months ago, and her behavior hasn't improved. I used to be able to clip her nails without any kind of incident, but these days I can only manage to cut 2-3 nails before she hisses at me and runs away. It's like I've had a different cat since bringing her back from the vet. And then the nails that I do manage to cut grow back like a day later!

Also: I think that the $200 scratching post is completely absurd. There's a child dying of starvation somewhere! Priorities!

This is the type of stuff she likes to do now that she has razor sharp claws:

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

http://www.purrfectpost.com/Mondo_Scratching_Video.html

Apparently this is what she's getting. A big ol' cat column. I'm afraid a more elaborate cat tree isn't really an option for our small NYC apartment at the moment. I don't want to get into it too much, but I have a roommate who isn't very fond of cats in general, and she probably wouldn't like the idea of a cat jungle gym in the middle of our living room very much. I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future, though.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

My cat likes chewing on plants and leaves. We set up a Christmas tree in the living room, and he's taken to chewing on the branches and needles. Are pine trees/sap/needles toxic to cats? :ohdear:

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I just wanted to throw this out there: I finally figured out a way to keep plants in my living room! I found a really weird industrial bird cage in a thrift store, and I put all my plants in there. They can get sun-light, it's aesthetically pleasing, and my cat can't get to them.

eta ugh i can't type today

4R7 THi3F fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

With the help of my neighbour and fellow feliphile (but not in a weird way), I just put Soft Claws on the front paws of my two cats. It was a huge pain in the behind and I can't even imagine trying to solo. Before these wear off I'm going to replace everything I own with titanium so that they can scratch whatever they want all the time.

Haha! We have had the $200 cat post for a couple weeks now, and my cat doesn't use it at all! We are definitely going to try the soft paws in the future.

My boyfriend and I followed this youtube video to trim Scout's nails because she ruined a pair of his hand tailored wool pants recently and he decided he had enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgsU5FAJTvI

The part where you roll the cat up like you're making cat sushi is just hilarious, although we weren't as skilled as the fellow in the video.