Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

markoshark posted:

Hmm, smake that look like i'm getting one NOW, when actually the litter is just born, and will be a fair way away yet (8 weeks) - see if she turns up then

Haha, it's good to plan ahead I guess. Since they've just been born, you should let them grow up some and pick the pair that get along best, male or female. Also it would be a lot better if they could stay with the mother for 12 weeks. I know it's probably not your decision when the kittens get thrown out but you could see if they'd be OK with keeping them another month. :)

As for your kitty, yeah, that would give her some time to turn up. Have you been looking around at your old neighbor's place or anything? I wonder if she would've gone back there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Skywriter posted:

Question: Why do cats go batshit insane before and after they poop? My cat runs around like a crazy man, and right now my mom's cat is jumping all over everything, meowing this loud, guttural meow, and just generally freaking out. Why is this?

How old is this cat? If the age is less than two years, the answer is "kittens are crazy."

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Congrats, he sounds awesome. For the skittishness, I'd just make sure he has easy access to whatever his favorite hiding spot is. My cats are also skittish little babies and sometimes they'll stop being afraid of a scary noise over time but it usually takes a lot of repetition before they figure it out on their own. Just let him be a big gay baby so he can feel safe until it's over.

As for the food, I wish I could help but I'm a dirty 'Merican too. I did a quick search through the pet food thread and couldn't find any particularly helpful posts that weren't a few years old so I'd just drop in and ask. After a few people answer maybe someone could get the OP to update the first post for Brits.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Shnooks - Sorry to hear that, I'm glad that you are keeping us updated though.

marshmallard posted:

Anyone else had an issue with World's Best litter leaving the cat covered in powder that they then track all over your clothes when they sit on your lap? Is there any way around it?

I use Swheat Scoop and sometimes this happens to me but not often. I have a mat outside their litter box entrance and there's also a rug nearby that they walk all over. I think that helps since I've only had it happen a couple times. If you already have a mat and shag carpet outside the litter box then that might not be the problem though . . .

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Oh god yes, that should really help. There are cat litter specific mats and things but you don't have to bother with them if you don't want to, just a rug or some fuzzy doormats would work just as well. Just don't get anything that would be uncomfortable for them to step on or they'll avoid walking on it which would of course defeat the purpose.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Abbeh posted:

The UK has Craigslist as well - why not just use that? Though people do tend to get upset if you ask for a rehoming fee when the cats aren't vetted.

I agree with you but offering cats for free can be dangerous for the kitties. I've seen ads where instead of a rehoming fee the owner will ask for a check made out to an animal rescue. I always thought that was a cool thing to do.

Also seconding that the kitties should stay together a little longer. At least that will give duck monster some more time to find them homes.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Helvetica Neue posted:

Related question, kinda.. recently my nose has been plugged when I'm at home around my cats. Not snotty, but like my sinuses are swollen and no air can come through. I chalked it up to seasonal allergies, but it's winter now and it hasn't gone away. Am I allergic to my cats? :ohdear: (no itchy/watery eyes or sneezing)

It might be something else in the house, like dust or a too-low humidity level. If it's come up only recently I wouldn't assume it was your cats unless you just got them.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Vark posted:

I have a question for you all. I have had cats all my life and I absolutely adore them. After moving to graduate school my girlfriend and I found a stray and took her in and all is well. Now as graduate students we are busy and out for most of the day. We were thinking of getting our cat a fury companion. We are not sure though if we should adopt a kitten or a cat similar to her in age. She is around two years old and is super clingy to me (i.e. sits on my shoulders while I work, cook, or walk around the apartment). We want to make sure that the new cat does not stress her out too much or that she treats it as a threat. Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

That's a good idea. Do you know if she's been around other cats before? Some cats just hate being around other cats, sort of like how goons hate being around real human beings. :v: If she doesn't have a history of hating other cats then I'd suggest heading to a nearby shelter or foster and asking if they have any cat-friendly cats. Sex shouldn't matter too much as long as everyone is spayed/neutered. I'd suggest getting a cat around her age so that their energy levels are similar. After you pick out a cat, read the section in the OP about making proper cat introductions. The methods outlined there are meant to do exactly what you are hoping: reduce the threat each cat feels from the other and reduce the stress brought on by the situation. It might be tough at first but you will likely be rewarded with cuddly kitty piles later so don't worry, it's totally worth it. :3:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

My kitties have white faces and I remember that their faces were frequently dirty when they were little . . . they have dirty noses in their shelter pictures even. I think kittens are probably just more prone to getting dirty and not as good at keeping themselves clean. I dunno about the paleness though, I'd probably just see a vet if you're really worried about it.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

SunknLiner posted:

I feed my cat Solid Gold, and usually the bags are sort of vacuum sealed. Today I picked up a new bag and only just noticed it's not "vacuumed" but a little puffy. It's not bloated by any means, but it definitely has extra air in it. Should I worry about feeding her this bag? There's no punctures in the bag, and it's still air tight.

If it's not too inconvenient I'd just trade it in before I started feeding it. The bag either didn't get packed up which may or may not be a big deal, or the food is producing gas through some sort of chemical process which is probably bad.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

SunknLiner posted:

I just checked the Solid Gold website on a whim, and came across this in the FAQ section...

Guess I should have looked there first!!

Wow, that's a pretty thorough FAQ, wouldn't have expected an answer like that there myself. Cat ladies with the internet really are the type that would ask in great numbers about that sort of thing though.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Yeah, get it checked out at the vet. It sounds like Toby might have worms or some other parasite.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I buy that stuff from time to time. I always believed in the idea that it was a puking aid but my cats didn't puke any more or less than usual (which is basically never because I fortunately ended up with pretty non-pukey cats). I don't know why they like it either but it's cheap and they go nuts over it so it's worth it to me. v:shobon:v

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

At night my two male cats love to wander in the back yard, but one of them likes to pick fights after dark. They've both been desexed and sometimes they play nice, is there anything I can do other than let them in and out at different times?

Pick fights with each other you mean? If they are outside then it's possible that they are fighting with other cats. If you're sure that it's just the two of them then maybe you should double-check and make sure that they aren't just playing? If they aren't injuring each other on a regular basis then they are probably just goofing around.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

hog wizard posted:

I took my cats to the vet yesterday, and they were given a clean bill of health. Before yesterday, the cats had solid poop. Now today, both of the cats have diarrhea. Is it from stress? We haven't changed their diet or anything, and they are very active as usual. They were shaking at the vet, and they both god their temperatures checked... so they really freaked out getting a thermometer stuck up their rear end for 10 seconds.

It was kind of funny because my girlfriend cried from them crying and squirming so much, and when one of the cats cried from getting up his butt, the other one cried too.

But seriously, why do both my cats suddenly have diarrhea?

It could totally be stress. I'd just keep an eye on them.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

crunk and white posted:

Ferocious looking, right? He's got two on the other side, too. Neither of them wiggle at all the to touch, making me less sure whether it's a leftover baby tooth or a bizarre four-tooth mutation. He's sixish months old; a rescue, so we don't know exactly how far along his teeth should be. Seen it before?

One of my cats had this happen when he was around that age. They just came out on their own when they were ready. I wouldn't worry about it too much but just keep an eye on them.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

It sounds like you are maybe only using one bowl? Get them each a bowl and feed them meals at least twice a day. Shouldn't be too hard to keep them from stealing each other's food then. Also, regulating his intake is pretty much the only way Fatty is going to lose weight.

You should name them Laurel and Hardy. :v:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Cariad posted:

These are my cats Teddy (the black and white) and Simba (orange tabby.)

Firstly, are you giving them human-food-type canned tuna? It would be fine as a really occasional treat but a whole can once a week is probably too much.

As for the cats' behavior, if one cat is not feeling well and therefore acting strange, it might be enough to make the other cat's behavior change too, especially if they are good buddies. It sorta sounds like maybe Simba is not feeling well and is therefore being a grouch which is making Teddy feel lonely. That is totally a guess though.

Also, do you think something could've happened to either of the cats that would've freaked them out? Maybe ask your kids if they saw/did anything that seemed to bother the cats.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Is it normal for cats to suddenly get pickier? Like, still be interested in food but just decide that something they gobbled down the other day isn't good enough the next? Or even between feedings? One of my cats has decided that turkey Wellness is just barely acceptable. When I set it down he'll look up at me like "Is this it?" and then after a minute or two he'll make himself eat it. But he is still happy with the chicken Wellness. And then the next morning sometimes he'll be happy with the turkey again. :rolleyes: He seems fine otherwise, is it possible he is sick or is it probably just typical cat assholery?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Esmerelda posted:

The neighbor's male cat from across the hall finally got a glimpse of Figaro and is none to pleased with his existence. When he and his sister are let out into the hall all he does is stand at my apartment door, wait for Figaro to get all excited at the prospect of play time with another kitty and then smack the door and hiss. Poor Figgy has no idea what's going on, he hops backwards, looks at me all confused then scoots close again only to be hissed and have the door smacked. All he wants is to be friends.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe another cat might not be the best thing for him. But my apartment is only a studio and not huge to begin with -- I wouldn't want them to not have enough room to be happy (like with the cats across the hall, she lets them out because they get antsy being in such a small space all day.) He's a happy cat and very cuddly so it isn't like he's moping around or anything, but he's probably pretty lonely. And the mean kitty from next door isn't helping any.

That's so depressing, poor guy just wants a buddy. :(

I haven't had cats in a studio before but I've lived in a couple. I think it would be fine as long as there's some open floor space so they can sprint around and play when they get crazy at 1am like all cats do. Also, cats value vertical space more than horizontal so getting them a big cat tree or cat shelves or something would help a lot. I guess my concern would be that it'll be more difficult for them to "get away" from each other so it'll be important that they are introduced properly and that they get along well. Keeping two cats in a studio isn't ideal but I think the benefits outweigh the cons if your guy really wants a buddy. My cats are best buds and are always playing together and sleeping in catpiles. I can't imagine how bored and sad they'd be if they were separated.

Also, your neighbor's cats more than likely want to go outside because, after being let outside a lot, they consider some part of the outdoors to be their territory and they feel the need to go keep an eye on it. As long as your cats are comfortable and have stuff to do, they will generally be happy to stay inside (except for when they feel like being little dicks and trying to slip out the door) because inside is their territory and they don't like being outside of it generally.

Oh, and make sure you can afford health care and food and stuff for two cats, but you knew that of course. :)

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Esmerelda posted:

Yeah, he really likes other animals. Except squirrels, all squirrels need to die.

Technically I've had 2 cats in a smaller place as far as square footage goes, but it was divided to have a bedroom whereas this place has one large open living/sleeping space. It is old so it has a ton of built in closets and shelving to go climbing into/on and the kitchen, dressing room and bathroom are separate so... it's a possibility. I've always only ever introduced adults to kittens, but I'm not about to put myself through that again (kittens are sweet and cute and total dicks -- I'm not home enough for one really.) Finding an adult cat that would be as awesome and friendly as my current one would be a bit of a search.

Affording two is the question. General maintenance and vet visits for two wouldn't be an issue. Emergency $1000 a trip vet visits for both at the same time would be. I was spoiled living overseas, vet costs were miniscule in comparison to here.

Actually from what I've seen, finding a loving awesome cat-friendly adult should be relatively easy as long as you are using good shelters and rescues. Just make sure you do the introduction properly and they'll more than likely become BFFs. Then you have to take catpile photos.

As far as saving for huge giant emergency bills, I think that as long as you are making progress on your savings it's fine to just have a spare credit card you can use in the meantime.

samizdat posted:

:words:

How did you introduce them? Since she's been away so long, the cats are basically strangers to one another, and the introduction should be treated accordingly. Maybe you could try "starting over" with another proper introduction?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

The most toxic aspect of latex paint is the fumes so I'd be more worried about him sleeping in a pile of it than getting it all over himself really. Be sure to keep an eye on him and keep him WELL out of the reach of paint fumes next time you paint.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Miss Squid posted:

Any opinions on the Swheat Scoop?

I use it, it works all right. I think it clumps pretty well. It controls odor OK but make sure you are scooping every day or every other day or things can get stinky . . . but you should be doing that anyway. It's kinda dusty but mostly just when you are moving it around so unless your cats are crazy diggers it should be OK.

It's flushable which is pretty cool, just make sure you let it soak in the toilet first before letting it go, and break up any large clumps. If you're renting make sure your place doesn't have a rule against flushing litter first. Some places do, presumably due to the same morons who ruin rental living for everyone by being morons.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So I've got to spend 4 days driving across the country with two cats. I've read about what others have done and have a good idea of how things should go but I have a couple questions:

1) Most people who've done this only drove 8 hours or so at a time. The first day, we're gonna be stuck driving 11-12 hours. Is this too long for the cats to go without the litter box? We're going to offer them a box every few hours but it sounds like most cats don't make use of the litter box until they get out into the hotel.

2) I was thinking of putting puppy pee pads in the bottoms of the carriers in case there are accidents. The odds of this seem pretty high considering the 11-hour first day. Anyone tried this?

Any other advice/protips/stories would be appreciated.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Thanks! Some questions I have with your advice:

I wish I could bring their normal litter box but it's a loving huge Rubbermaid bin with a hole in the side. Do you think they'd be OK with a normal-sized litter box with their normal litter in it?

We're going to feed nothing but wet food, should we bother stopping to offer water?

Our cats are more the freeze-up-and-cower type, should they be OK without drugs? I've heard a lot of horror stories about drugging cats for trips so I'm kind of afraid to try it.

Also should we stop and let them out just to let them stretch their legs every few hours or is that stupid/stressful?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Kerfuffle posted:

:words:

Thanks! Their litter is on the verge of needing a change so we probably can't use it again but I'll see if I can get their new litter box ahead of time. Their normal litter box is super huge so I'm sure they'll be sad but it's just temporary.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

One of my cats is being stupid about his food . . . This has been developing over the past several months or so. He's decided to be extra picky for no apparent reason. I'll set his food down and he'll sniff it a bit and then look up at me. We keep trying various things to get him to eat . . . Trying a different food only works sporadically. Washing his bowl differently didn't seem to help. It seems like once he gets a taste of the food he'll often start eating but you have to convince/trick him to try it by using your finger or smearing it on his paw or something. He also seems happier if we sit with him on the floor while he eats. Any ideas? He's had a physical at the vet since it started and it didn't show anything although we didn't ask about the problem specifically.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Hamburglar posted:

Speaking of cat claws, my computer chair and recliner (both leather) are pretty drat destroyed thanks to three cats who love to destroy stuff.

It's not torn to shreds or anything, but there's a lot of ugly raised dots and lines where they picked and ran their claws. Is there anything you guys would recommend to repair that? Something that buffs them out, makes them less visible and less protruding?

Edit: Also, we brought our 1 year old to the vet yesterday to get his rabies and distemper shots, and he's acting like a total weirdo for the past day. He's hiding a lot and this is the most outgoing, friendly cat in the world. Is there anything we need to worry about in regards to a bad reaction to those shots?

Generally cat owners prevent furniture damage rather than let it happen and then try to repair it. Look into putting Softpaws on your cats. Just trimming their claws very regularly might be enough. Covering your furniture when you're not around to watch it would help too.

If they are scratching the furniture on purpose then they might just need another scratching post.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I just noticed that one of my cats has a small bare spot on his chin. It's covered in black spots. I think it's feline acne. I've never seen either cat have it before and they're about 3 years old. Should I be worried or does it just happen sometimes? They get fed out of clean ceramic bowls twice a day so the only thing I can think of is that I need to change their water (also in a ceramic bowl) more often. I try to do it every day but I'm pretty sure I forget sometimes.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

My cat is gross, please help. :(

I have two neutered male cats. They're almost 4 years old (same age). Last weekend I was gone for a few days to visit my parents. Normally I feed them wet food twice a day and leave them a little dry food in the morning to snack on. I had the pet sitter come once a day and keep a bowl of dry food topped off. I'm not sure if she gave them any treats, I'm asking her now. Anyway, neither of them were eating well when I got back but I kind of expected it since they were probably stressed. However one of them keeps getting slimy poop all over his rear end, and I keep finding slimy squishy poops in weird places. Not entire poops but usually more like parts of them. Maybe they are getting stuck in his fur? He is eating pretty well and seems OK otherwise. I haven't actually witnessed him making nasty poops, I just find the evidence on him and on the floor in random spots. Anyway, could this possibly still be stress or should he go to the vet? I feel clueless because their food hasn't changed and they're 100% indoors so I'm not sure how else they could've caught something.

Edit: Could it just be because he's used to eating more wet than dry food and lately he hasn't been? They seem to have gotten bored with their wet food until today where I mixed in a little bit of another flavor.

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 28, 2013

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

On the other hand, whenever Mithrin throws up, if I don't catch it right away he'll try to bury it himself using clutter from around the house such as socks, old receipts, etc. I feel for the little dude, but it's kind of gross.

Yeah, I keep finding my sick(?) cat's presents under my clothes. It's kind of my bad for keeping dirty clothes on the floor but still!

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Go to store, baking aisle. Get canned pumpkin (UNSEASONED, UNSWEETENED!). Give him a tablespoon or so a day. The other cat can have it too if he wants; it won't hurt. Hopefully that'll firm his poops up a bit. You should definitely also check with your pet sitter and see if they had anything unusual to eat. I don't think I have ever heard of slimy poo from too much dry food or from stress, however. If the pumpkin doesn't clear it up in a week or so, I'd call the vet.

How do I get him to eat it? Will he like it enough to eat it plain or do I have to work it into his food? Maybe mix it with some chicken baby food which I've heard is cat crack?

The pet sitter says she didn't give them anything but their normal food. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Hi cat thread! Long time no see. Just to refresh, I have two neutered boy kitties, Paulo and Yuki. They are both 5 years old. Last weekend was vet time for them . . . They both got high marks except that apparently Yuki has a dental problem. The vet said that some cats have this thing where their immune system attacks their teeth, but only a particular pair of teeth on the bottom jaw. She said he needs to have those extracted soon but that he should be fine after that. Anyone heard of it before? Not that I don't believe her, I'd just feel better hearing more sources that he'll be fine after one $500-700 surgery. :(

Also something happened that I haven't seen before . . . Yuki got taken in the back to get his blood drawn and had to go home with a little bandage. When we got home, Paulo was mean to him. When Yuki got near, Paulo would hiss at him and try to drive him away. I've heard that this can happen because one cat will smell weird and thus be less familiar to the other cat. I'm worried because I imagine this will be 100x worse when Yuki spends all day in surgery and comes home again while Paulo gets to stay home like a jerk. Anything I can do to make the process easier next time? My apartment is pretty small so separating them fully with two litter boxes and everything would be hard.