Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I desperately wish the cat wouldn't suddenly take ill on Sunday night when the vet's office is closed. He was eating and drinking this morning and he used the litterbox, but since then he's become lethargic and hissy and won't eat. And as I'm without a car, the emergency vet downtown isn't an option.

I also wish I knew how to check a cat's pulse because he's breathing rapidly as well.

I think I might have to stay up until I can take him to the vet in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Minarchist posted:

Check his temperature. If you have a thermometer and think you can manage to get it in his rear end (use lube, obviously, and plenty of it. vaseline or k-y jelly work)

If it's over 103 he's in trouble.

Also the fast breathing is worrisome...can you call a cab or take a bus? Time may be of the essence here.

His feet and ears don't feel hot, but that's not a very scientific gauge and I'm unfortunately unable to actually get the thermometer in his butt.
But, if I think he's getting worse or his breathing gets worse, (It's currently at 40 per minute) I'm just going to call a cab and go. As of now I think I'm going to stay up watching him.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Minarchist posted:

Given that it's so sudden, he might be in pain. Will he let you rub him down? Gently rub everywhere, all 4 limbs, tail, tummy, back, armpits, and jawline. If something hurts he'll let you know :catstare:

He doesn't get too :catstare: anywhere, but he seems reluctant to let me touch his belly and just gently kicks me away. He doesn't growl or hiss, he just makes an annoyed sound.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Dante Update,
I managed to get to the emergency clinic when my panicky tears moved the heart of somebody who had a car. He did have a fever, it turns out, and the vet said his breathing was just a little fast which might be because of some discomfort in his abdomen, there seems to be something going on there that's making him upset. It's not fluid retention but something is obviously bothering him.

She gave me antibiotics for him to take for the next week and administered fluids and a pain killer. When the regular vet opens at 8 today, I'm going to take him in for bloodwork and x-rays.

He finally ate his wet food when I got him home so that's good. Currently he's cleaning his butthole in order to make up for the injustices performed upon it today.

(The vet also expressly forbid me from doing anything involving his butthole, re: taking his temperature.)

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 10, 2013

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I’m looking into getting another cat after my sweet boy Dante passed recently. But I’m not really sure on if a male or female is the way to go. I know males are supposedly a bit more sociable and the females more independent but Dante was super independent. Hated laps, didn’t want to snuggle next to anyone. He was too dignified for any of that.

Sorta.

I’m not sure if the difference between males and females is actually real or if it’s just kind of a myth.

I wish I could go to a shelter and like, get an idea of a cat’s personalities before I do anything but every rescue I can get to is online application, wait for callback, interview and sometimes home inspection before you can meet the cat.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Organza Quiz posted:

To me the main difference is cats with dicks are more likely to have urinary blockages just due to the different plumbing set up.

Yeah that was a problem that Dante had and a main reason I am wanting to get a cat with less urine blockage risk.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Pollyanna posted:

IME it is not a hard and fast rule. It all depends entirely on the cat. Jet is male and looks very very similar to Dante and he often likes to nap on or near me.

As for a general case, who knows.

Jet is so handsome ...

And thanks everyone for the information, I really appreciate it! I've decided to look for a girl just because I'm not sure I want to deal with spraying and urine crystals. (Dante sprayed even after he was fixed, but only when he saw raccoons in the backyard. He hated them so much...)

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

How! posted:

Found this guy at about 6 weeks old, alone and abandoned for a while before I was able to trap him.

She’s very cuddly, and watches me run the tub every morning. We named her PoPurry.

Oh she’s a beauty!!

I hope you guys will excuse a few more inane cat questions…

I’m a little worried about kitten-proofing (if I end up getting kitten(s) but my apartment has a somewhat weird feature. The building is really old and so in the bedroom areas, it just has some open cubbyholes instead of a proper closet. There’s no door to be had.

This is the setup I’m using… there’s nowhere else to fit the drawers, either.

Is there like… anything here I can do or should I just dehumanize myself and face to putting all my dresses and nice clothes in a sliding under-the-bed things until kitten(s) are less bastardly?

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 2, 2022

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I am in the process of kitten-proofing my apartment and I'm a bit worried about my stove. It's an old electric coil stove but I'm a little worried about a cat potentially jumping onto the hot stove when I'm not looking. It takes a while to cool off. Anyone have any suggestions or should I just be super cautious and hyper aware of where the cat is when I'm cooking?

Luckily, the knobs are all push to turn and you need to turn both the bake and temperature setting to turn the oven on.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

taiyoko posted:

For some cats, though, it can be more of "you're doing a thing, I want to be involved" and might be able to get them to use a cat bed perch as like a Designated Watch-Human-Cook spot...though that might not work when young because kitten energy.

I do have a windowsill in the kitchen that would be good for designated kitten audience... Maybe that combined with some tinfoil or something sticky would work.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just put unused cast-iron skillets or other heat-sink pans on the burners when I pull supper off them.

That's also a good idea. At least something big enough to discourage exploration...

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Maybe she just finds them condescending.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Hi, hello, is it okay for me to post kitten photos in here?

I think I'm going to call her Pazuzu.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Taima posted:

Miles decided to be very photogenic today.,

Oh!! How handsome!

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Pazuzu... She spent the first 22 hours cowering, hiding and otherwise being very frightened but then perked up around noon today when I was lying next to her carrier on the bathroom floor. She came out and cuddled under my chin. She's still hiding in the bathroom but it's behind the door in the corner next to the radiator and if I go in there, she'll come out. I think it's just a cozy spot.

She's very sweet and loves her spring toy ... she hates all the treats I've tried her on. Doesn't like the Tiki Cat churu-alike, doesn't like the freeze-dried tuna bits.... Maybe I'll see how she feels about Temptations?

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 9, 2023

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Pazuzu will deign to eat her dry food when she’s hungry enough, but she’s just not that interested in it unless I put a tablespoon of water in it. I call it Kitten’s Soup.

I wonder if it’s because she’s teething and her gums hurt, because she suddenly got very enthusiastic about suckling on cloth.

I got her to stop chewing on my clothes when I gave her a soft washcloth. When she climbs on me to chew on my bra strap, I tell her to “ be normal” and she’ll run off to chew on the washcloth instead… but then she’ll come back to sit on my neck every 30 seconds while doing it so I don’t know.

A few weeks ago I got a big dog bed mistakenly delivered to me by petsmart. I put it on top of her Maintanence Guys Are Here playpen to keep it out of the way but shes discovered it.

Here is Pazuzu’s best impression of a cannoli.

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 1, 2023

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Pazuzu was doing something similar where I'd just randomly find a single poop out on the floor but it turns out she was just getting dingleberries from eating my hair and the last poop would just go flying off her when she ran out of the box at top speed.

I'm making a more active attempt to stop her from licking my head.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
So I changed Pazuzu's litter out today. It's the same brand but a new bag. And now she's sitting outside the litter box, digging and pulling litter out? I can't tell if she's trying to get my attention or she's playing or she's just being a weirdo. She's peed in the new stuff already as well and there's no inappropriate leavings anywhere. So what the gently caress? Is it just too deep for her liking?

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
If you can tolerate the aesthetic, you can put a net up under the beans to catch them if they fall?

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I don’t know much about cat insulin but I know that there are Junior syringes and pens that deliver half-units. If 2 is too much, you might be able to do 1.5.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Pazuzu, as of Friday, is suddenly acting like she’s starving.

She’s 16 months old and until now has been mostly not very food motivated. Like if I filled her bowl up first thing in the morning, she wouldn’t finish it by the evening more often than not. But now, she’s waking me up for breakfast and finishing her meals completely, which she’s never done before.

She does not have increased thirst, she is not urinating more, she is not at all lethargic or otherwise acting unwell, nor has she lost weight. So, unlikely to be Diabetes.

She saw the vet on Thursday and he said she was in great shape and was a healthy weight, but she shouldn’t gain more.

I’ve been giving her the same amount (5/8ths of a cup of kibble since she’s repelled by wet food. (last time I tried it she shoved her bowl off the counter in disgust.)

So basically: what the hell? Is she just having a growth spurt? The vet said no need to come in since there’s no other behavioral changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Whenever my cat is constipated, (which is often, despite her love of her water fountain) my vet told me to give her 1/8th of a teaspoon of Miralax in with her food twice a day for three days. It really helps her out when the pumpkin isn’t doing the trick.