Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.
I'm looking to adopt a cat but I've never owned a pet before. I want to make sure I do everything right so input from those with experience would be much appreciated.

I was hoping to adopt from the city shelter (especially since they've lowered their fees immensely until August 31), but was wondering what the difference between adopting from them or a cat rescue would be.

I'm also going to be moving soon afterwards for school. Is the kitty going to be able to handle a 4 hour car ride and re-acclimitize to a new home after coming home from shelter?

I think I'll be looking for an adult cat who can be a bit more independent. There may be times that I won't be able to give super amounts of playtime like a kitten would need. I won't let him out of the house.

I'm also worried about the health of an adoptee - the stories in PI about some shelters not really disclosing possible problems has me very wary.

Finally, I'm worried about cleanliness and smell. Like I said, I've never had a pet before and some of my friends that do have one tend to have a weird smell in their houses. I'm not adverse to the litterbox cleaning everyday but what should I expect in terms of general grossness?

Are there any other considerations I should think about before taking on this huge responsibility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.

Meow Cadet posted:

A rescue tends to foster cats, so they know their personality better. They also guarantee to take the cat back if there is a problem, even 10 years down the road. This gives me piece of mind that my cat has a spot at a no-kill rescue if I end up penniless with cancer or something. Ask around for shelter/rescue reputations. Some are good, some are bad. A good place to start would be your vet.

Well not having been a pet owner before, how do you screen for a good vet?

Meow Cadet posted:

Are you a college freshman, new transfer student, or someone out on their own for the first time? DON'T GET A PET. Wait at least 6 months or so. It's a crazy time in your life, don't burden yourself with too much responsibility.

Not the first time out. Been around the block so it's not a big deal. It's just moving day I'm more worried about

Meow Cadet posted:

Expect your cat to come with a cold, fleas, and mites. These are common, and easy to treat.

Ewww. Okay.

Meow Cadet posted:

Cat poo poo is really really foul, and their piss ain't much better. Some cats like to puke once a week, you will step in it barefoot at least 2 times a year. Hairballs are icky. If a lizard/frog/snake sneaks inside, you may see its guts strewn across the floor. Cat hair will be everywhere, even in your food when you go out to fancy restaurants. Your bed will always have tiny grains of litter on
it, that you can feel, but not see.
Ewwwwww. Aren't there prophylactic steps I can take to minimize the hair/balls, puking and cat litter? A kitty foot mat around the litter box perhaps?