Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Cats can be weird about litter boxes. For years my aunts cats seemed to keep to the system of a box for poop and a box for pee. But now one of them no longer cares about the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I'm hoping for ideas about my new kitty.

Rusty Venture is accustomed to having his nails trimmed which is great for trimming his nails. But it kind of gives me problems teaching him where to scratch, he kind relaxes too much to really get the point. Any ideas on how to help him get it? I cant use catnip on them because he's only 5 months and doesn't seem to be effected by it yet. I have a cardboard scratcher and a door sisal scratcher. I've tried demonstrating myself but he just seems to think I'm as crazy as I probably am.

Also he kind of digs his claws in to the carpet for half a second when he stretches. Any ideas for that or should I just give up on that being too vague to train out, and too spread out and quick to do much damage?

For bonus/bribes/crazy cat ladyness:

Why does my iPhone insist on making this so red, those walls are white!

Oh and for some strange reason he loves licking my elbow pits :3:

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

chardish posted:

My kitten doesn't respond to catnip either. She's about 2 months. How old should a kitten be before they respond, typically?

I think the common number is around the 6 month mark / maybe a year

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Could you put down something else filled with ice like a bottle of water or a bag of ice cubes for her to lay on? Ice cubes would be easier but a bottle of water would stay cold longer.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Does anybody have good suggestions for teething kittens? So far he likes chewing on: a soft blanket, me, foam wings on my cthulhu plush. He doesn't like chewing on: any of the toys I've gotten him, any of the toys I've smeared his food all over, some of the same foam not attached to something.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Let's talk cat fountains:

My cat shows interest in drinking from the sink and the left over droplets in the shower so I guess he'd be interested in a fountain. It seems like the big name is Drinkwell and the Drinkwell Platinum gets pretty good reviews. However I know that sometimes plastic dishes can be a bad idea for cats.

There are ceramic (http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-6022-Drinking-Fountain/dp/B00329RZFE/ref=pd_sim_k_3) and stainless steel fountains on amazon, but it looks like they are smaller capacity and less popular. The reviews don't seem to have as good of things to say.

Should I worry about the Drinkwell fountain being plastic? I've never had plastic dishes around this cat so I don't have any experience from that, it is a 6-month old cat if the age factors in at all the with the acne worry.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

oishii posted:

I had a Drinkwell Platinum for a while too; and while kitties liked it well enough, ChairmanMeow is right; that thing is a pain to clean :( It wouldn't fit in my sink either so I had to wash it in my bathtub :[

So what I did was just set up a ghetto water fountain.. I bought a cheapo freshwater pump (smallest one I could find and with adjustable flow! you could even use the pump from the Drinkwell) and just stuck it in a giant stainless steel bowl. One of my kitties likes to drink at the spewy fountainy part, the others just drink around the edge of the bowl! And the best thing about it is that it's easy to clean :D

pic:

I never thought of this but now I'm tempted by the idea to make my own. Now I just have a ton of other questions like what kind of small pump? (fishtank, decorative table top) where does one get such a thing? Fish supply store / online?

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

The Light Eternal posted:

I'm very worried about Penn. He hasn't seemed to gain any weight since I got him and in the last few days he has been very lethargic. He appears to be eating and definitely is drinking water. His brother has gained weight and is very active. Penn also goes outside the litter box on a fairly consistent basis. Am I right in thinking this is a medical issue, or could this just be him having a hard time getting used to the Evo?

Sorry about the double post but I would think about taking him in. I don't know if it's likely to be something respiratory wise since it's been a while since you'd had him home. Even if it isn't I'd still worry about the lethargy and outside the box peeing.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Say hello to Rusty Venture

Click here for the full 1308x1085 image.

Sorry for the long post but I have several concerns, because basically I think I've become a cat-hypochondriac from reading PI.

Rusty is a purebred Siberian that we got from a breeder. We got a purebred Siberian because they were the only cats we've found that don't bother my husbands allergies. I got him from a breeder because after quite a while of looking I was unable to find any Siberian cats in rescues near us. I would have preferred to get an adult for several reasons but they seem nearly impossible to find. We were referred to this breeder by our friends who have 2 cats from the breeder, they also have friends that have another cat from the breeder.

- Sex: Male
- How long have you had your cat?: We got him at the end of June
- Is your cat spayed or neutered?: Yes
- What food do you use?: Natural Balance dry, mix of Natural Balance and Avoderm Wet
- When was your last vet visit? July 13
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both?: Indoors. I got a harness and took him out for 2 walks but he seems to get a little freaked out when we come back in so I'm not sure if I should keep taking him out
- How many pets in your household?: Just him
- How many litter boxes do you have?: 2 - one filled with Kitten Attract, and a second filled with a mix of kitten attract and green tea leaves litter

1. His nose is a little misshappen. If you look at it from an overhead view instead of being flat or maybe curving outward in the middle it smooshes in in the middle. When we got him it seemed his breathing was a little wheezy so I made an initial acquaintance visit with the vet a few days after I got him. The vet listened to his breathing and heart and didn't hear anything wrong with him but said to call if he lost his energy or appetite. Rusty hasn't had problems with either but I worry because he pants like a dog quite a bit when we play, mouth open and tongue sticking out a bit.

2. While petting him yesterday I discovered a lump on one of his hind legs. He doesn't like to be pet or brushed much back there so I have a hard time getting a look at it. It's about the size of larger mosquito bite and feels kind of similar. He'll let me look through his fur for a little bit but I can't find anything abnormal looking. It doesn't seem painful when I try to look at it but he just seems more annoyed with me. I called the vet that I took him to and asked if they'd done his rabies vaccine there but they said no. They typically do the rabies vaccines between the shoulder blades. I got Rusty microchipped at the same time, and I'm pretty sure I can feel the microchip between his shoulders. Would they have done both in the same area at the same time? Should I be worried about the lump?

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

HondaCivet posted:

Do you guys think that cats lose some interest in toys as they grow up? When my dudes were kittens they'd play with their toys for pretty long periods of time but now they only seem to have much interest when they're really hyper, and even then not for very long. Nowadays they mostly just want to play with bugs or each other. Or Da Bird but who cat can resist that? Is that pretty normal or are they probably just bored with their current toys?

I think that's really common actually. I've seen older cats that aren't as interested in toys or even as interested. You might want to swap the toys around. Put some away and let them forget about them for a while, then bring them back later and they might be more excited.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Propagandalf posted:

Stupid new pet owner question time: one of my coworkers was 'adopted' by an apparently dumped cat about 7 weeks ago, which promptly gave birth. It is now time to give away the litter, and I volunteered to take two kittens (since I wanted a cat anyways, now's as good a time as any). Is ~8 weeks an appropriate amount of time for kittens to be separated from their mother? I live in a second story apartment, should I be worried about letting them out onto the porch unsupervised after they get older, or should I start thinking of ways to block off the lower part of the porch railing now?

8 weeks isn't horrible but 12 is better. It isn't just about the cats being old enough to feed themselves but the extra time helps them work on their cat manners, like burying their poop, and not playing too rough.

As for the porch railing I would block it off and only let them out while supervised. They will be able to get out even if you only block off the bottom and it is possible they will still try to escape even if it is a height that would injure them. Plus all of the other worries about outside cats.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
There are a couple of good tricks for getting a unwilling cat into a carrier. What I find helpful is to tilt the carrier so the door is up at somewhere between a 45 and 90 degree angle. Then, lower the cat butt first into it.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Shebrew posted:

That's what I'm hoping, but she's been here last night so a bit worried :ohdear: I'll stop by the local pet store today and see if I can find some cat attract stuff.

She also hasn't really eaten or drank since last night either :( I moved her right onto Orijen from whatever crap she was eating at the shelter, but if she hasn't eaten by later tonight I'll try mixing it with Friskies or whatever. Maybe I'll try a bigger water bowl?

Oh, and that last line means that she was laying all over it ;)

If the shelter gave you some of the crap stuff it's a good idea to transition slowly by mixing the two together. Starting with mostly crap and then slowly increasing the good %. It will help her accept it and may help avoid upset tummy and runny poo.

It's normal for them to be a little put off of eating and drinking in a new place but it is important to key an eye on things.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Shebrew posted:

More nervous that she's not really drinking at this point :ohdear:

Cats don't feel thirst very strongly so it might be hard to tell if she is drinking or not unless you catch her in the act. You may also want to try trickling a tiny stream from a faucet, some cats like running water the best. I think my cat's preferred method of getting water is licking it from my fingers. You can keep an eye on her hydration level by pinching the skin above her shoulders up gently and seeing how quickly it snaps back into place.

Question for everyone else:
My cat is extremely picky about the cleanliness of his litter box so we're thinking about getting a Litter Robot. Unfortunately the only good place to keep it is in the linen closet. Do you think this would make the sheets and towels smell like the litter box?

Comrade Quack fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 26, 2010

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Skutter posted:

Khitomer
- Age- ~3 years
- Sex- F
- How long have you had your cat?- 1 1/2 years
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? yes
- What food do you use? Solid Gold
- When was your last vet visit? early June for a nail clipping
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? indoors only
- How many pets in your household? her and two rats
- How many litter boxes do you have? 1

Khitomer keeps making GBS threads either directly outside of her litter box or on our bed. We've tried all the basic things I've seen suggested on other sites: scooping her litter every day or every other day, changing her litter every week, changing the type of litter, keeping the bedroom door closed (which just makes her poo poo in front of the litter box instead), etc. NOTHING works. There's no pattern to it either. She could have a freshly cleaned litter box and do it, or a week and a half-old one. We could have just scooped it or have left it for a few days and so on. She also never does it more than once a month or two, so we start leaving the bedroom door open (it gets really stuffy in there otherwise) thinking she's fine, and bam! Kitty left a surprise for us. We clean up the poop very well and spray Febreze and some air freshener afterward to get the scent out.

Is there anything else that we can do to keep her from making GBS threads outside of her box? It's an enclosed box with no front door flap, and her current litter is Yesterday's News. I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone has. Thanks.

Did you mention any of this at the vet while she was getting her nails clipped?

I'd try taking the lid off the box if you can, sometimes that helps the box smell less (inside the box). You might also try putting another box in a different spot or moving the box, in case it's something about the location. You might also want to try scooping more frequently - as I was just mentioning my cat is picky, I get dirty looks sometimes despite the fact I have two boxes for one cat and I scoop them every 12 hours or so.

Also I would be surprised if the Febreze is actually cleaning up the smell all the way. Just because you can't smell it doesn't mean your cat can't. I would try something enzymatic and actually labeled for cat waste. If there was ever cat urine on the bed I'd recommend a professional cleaning.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
I've been getting the little 3 or 4 inch pots of wheat/cat grass for my kitty and he likes having the grass. But he also likes pulling the whole clod out of the little plastic pot and running around the living room with it. Would replanting it help keep him from doing that? Anybody got any tips for that?

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
I'd like to think that getting him fixed should help a least a bit. I would think that he wants to go outside 1) because of the hormones, there are things to screw and spray and fight with and 2) because it's more exciting than the bathroom where he is by himself.

I'm not as sure about cat introductions so I can't really give you advice there. It would probably be good for Cabbage to get used to spending time around Momo. It might keep him more occupied and distract him from wanting to go outside. At the very least it's something you're going to need to do eventually so you might just be creating more hassle for yourself at this point. There will probably be fighting as they figure the social structure. It's ok to let them fight as long as they aren't drawing blood and being super destructive. If you're worried I would start with leaving them alone small periods of time and work up.

I would skip letting him out on to the veranda. It just seems like that won't be good enough to get his fix, and will just remind him that he wants to be outside rather than getting used to inside.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
You might want to ask a vet or just think about keeping it fairly confined until you can get to the vet. If the cat injured itself playing I would worry about it doing additional damage while under the affect of the painkillers.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Propagandalf posted:

One of my kitties is digging in the litterbox and scattering litter all over the floor. I applaud his effort and interest, but is there anything I can do to teach him not to dig while not discouraging him from using the litterbox?

You want him digging and burying to help curb the smell and perhaps keep it from getting stepped in. A better idea would be to get a bigger litter box. The big storage totes (like rubbermaid) are popular around here as litter boxes. If you can get the cat to jump the sides you won't have to worry as much, otherwise cut a hole off centered on one side for the cat to climb in. That way the walls are bigger for cats that throw litter, it takes care of dumb cats that poop over the sides and you don't have to worry about the cat getting too big for the box.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

gowb posted:

I read a few things about you guys switching your cats to different foods, and I was wondering, is there any special way that needs to be done??

I figure if a cat is hungry enough, it'll eat whatever food you place in front of it. So I've switched around to quite a few different brands of food, trying to find one that is good for my kitty, and she's only been slightly annoyed at switching. She wouldn't touch some weird, gross-looking canned food I got (I don't blame her, it looks super unappetizing), but loves those Fancy Feast appetizers. Before you get mad about me using fancy feast, hear ye! It's all meat, with no fillers or grains or anything. It's great.

Otherwise, she's been only slightly hesitant to trying new kibbles. I don't think she likes the current one as much as her old Meow Mix, but that stuff is bad and I want a healthy, pretty kitty.

The recommendation is that you switch slowly by mixing the two foods together. Starting with a majority of the old food, then decreasing the old and increasing the new. This helps with a kitty that doesn't want to eat the new food, and/or a kitty that gets upset stomach/diarrhea.

Cats can and will starve themselves to death. They're picky bastards. You need to make sure a cat doesn't stop eating because their livers start to shut down. Look up hepatic lipidosis if you want to know more.

Take this picture of my cat's bowl for example. My cat is very good about trying new things so I feed him a mix of stuff. This was a can of Spot's Stew, it had discernible chunks of peas and green beans.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

So he picked them out and separated them into a small pile. Now really stop and think about this - he did it all with his mouth. Would you have that level of dedication?

Then in true strange shitheaded cat fashion he came back about half an hour later and ate the green pile :wtc:

Comrade Quack fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 15, 2010

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
You might want to try other brands and flavors too. My cat didn't seem to like wellness at first but has liked it better on subsequent attempts. As a general rule my cat doesn't like anything fish flavored. Awesome pet stores will give out small sample bags so you can try some of those to see if your cat likes something else better. If you cant find an awesome pet store some of the bigger ones will sell sample sized bags. I know Petco sells Natural Balance samples.

My vet actually recommends an all canned food diet so they have a few PDFs about switching and link to a few others here is one that talks about switching a cat that isn't interested in canned food over http://www.catinfo.org/docs/TipsforTransitioningPDF12-18-09.pdf

You might try two smaller feedings, just in case the cat isn't eating that last bit because it's worried that might be all it gets and to help it transition to the wet food part. You also might want to try mixing a small amount of the wet food in with some of the cat's dry food to help it get the idea.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Captain Foxy posted:

I swear I'm the only one who knows about this item, so whenever I post it I get very :smug:

:words: about a rolling litter box

My cat is a huge spoiled brat about his litter box so I had to go with the robotic version of that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2XQVzV1LGc

Luckily I was able to get one from a friend who no longer had cats because they sell for between $270-$350.

Other cat related news: I was at the Petco near me yesterday and they had Merrick wet cat food, which was new for them. I think I remembered somebody needing a supplier for that...

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Kerfuffle posted:

My cat is annoyingly good at slipping out of collars. I don't know if they're just getting worn out or they're cheap or what. Anyone have any collars they particularly like for their cat? Price doesn't really matter.

My cat seems to like his Beastie Band. He only tries to get it off when it's too loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

Polish posted:

Hey, I asked about my recently adopted 8 week old kitten a few days ago. He was sneezing and had some soupy poopy but other than that he was fine. You guys told me to take him to the vet, and so I did last night. The vet gave me some powder to mix with wet food to firm up his poop.. and that stuff worked! About the sneezing though. She said as long as there is no gunk around his eyes and he is eating, playing, and pooping, there is nothing much she is going to do. He mostly sneezes when he just wakes up from a nap, but occasionally sneezes when he is around playing. Last night he decided to sleep on my face/arms/stomach/etc and was sneezing like crazy and covering me in kitten slime. When I woke up to take a shower he was sneezing a bunch. Should I still be worried about this sneezing? What could be causing it?

I did just get new carpets a month ago and there are still little fuzzys coming up now and then, but other than that our apartment is fairly dust free. The other cat isn't sneezing or anything. And speaking of the other cat, they started playing together yesterday! The big one still seems a little pissed off but they were playing around. Thanks for your help guys!

This sounds more like a URI than what my cat gets but I figured I'd add this just in case it helps. The dust from some litters bothers my cat more than others. He's fine if I fill his box with Kitten Attract, but with Arm & Hammer he gets a little raspy and sneezey. It doesn't get as bad as what you're describing, but I definitely notice a difference between the two litters.