Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Egads Its been forever since I was here and all these pictures are unavailable, I will get some new ones uploaded this weekend!

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I love night stuff and have been meaning to do some more.

Almost night.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
I think I've posted this one before, but I just reprocessed it again for this thread :) It's interesting to see what's possible with a really old raw file.

DH, great colour and compositions on those. I like the night shots to be nice and bright too.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Few from my latest trip out into Utah:

Full trip report here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150351

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fake Edit: ^^^ Holy poo poo those are incredible.

I loving love night shots and my high school is amazingly well-suited for it. These were from when I first tried it. I'm going back this weekend to give it another shot.

Exposure Time: 0.333 s (1/3)
Aperture: f/3.5
ISO Equiv.: 400

Exposure Time: 1.600 s
ISO Equiv.: 400

Exposure Time: 3.200 s
ISO Equiv.: 200

This last one bugs me because the library is a beautiful building but those two lights on either side of the arch are a huge pain.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
oh yeah these too

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Two recent night photos... I just had them in the PAD thread, but they belong here too

and an older one:

YoYo
Mar 15, 2003
Physics!!

See this thing (George Washington Masonic Memorial) pretty much everyday and happened to grab a shot just yesterday that I'm really happy with, especially at 1s hand held.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
^^^^ I was in Alexandria on Saturday! Didn't know that place existed until I got off the metro, never been there and I've lived in the area since 2001.

Oh god I have too many of these:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Another old one I dug up looking for pictures for the game thread.

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

Most of my night shots are getting old. I need to get out more. Also, most of them are dusk shots. I like it when there's still some light in the sky.

Is a fifth of a second long exposure? I guess it is hand-held. I love image stabilizers.

AdiosAmoebas
Sep 9, 2008

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

trueblue
Oct 10, 2004
Can we still be friends?

Here's the ones that happen to be on my flickr:

trueblue fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 17, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

(the ones that look like they were taken during the day were just catching the ambient light from the city)

Nondo
Jul 5, 2002

CODE ORANGE

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Dread Head posted:

I love night stuff and have been meaning to do some more.

This one I liked the first time you posted it, and still it hasn't lost any of its luster!

PlasticSun posted:

It's not very often I get to see both the Milky Way and a campground that seems to involve a story. Very nice.

Nondo posted:

The subject matter doesn't pull me in nearly as much as the contrast between the two textures : the gritty texture of the road and the ethereal fog in the distance.

---

An intense lightning storm came through last night. The wind caused the tree limbs to go bonkers, but I didn't expect the lightning to flicker so often that it gave me those 'stuttering' patterns in the clouds.

both of them:
[ 30s | F/5.6 | ISO 800 ]

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Wanted to add to the low light fun.

snowman
Aug 20, 2004
due it

Nice, I like the motion blur in this case.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Just a shot of the stars I got the other night, not anything interesting really, but I like the look of it. Hoping to make it out tonight to get some shots of the buildings in town.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.

Nondo posted:

I love this. I've always wanted to learn how to do these types of shots; I read in another thread about either putting exposures together (I have only 30 sec exposure max) or taking a bulb shot. How do you go about doing it? Whenever I do night shots, I tend to have it get way too bright because of other light pollution... how do you get around that?

Frinkahedron posted:

Oh god I have too many of these:

I LOVE this one- very haunting!

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Private Label posted:

I love this. I've always wanted to learn how to do these types of shots; I read in another thread about either putting exposures together (I have only 30 sec exposure max) or taking a bulb shot. How do you go about doing it? Whenever I do night shots, I tend to have it get way too bright because of other light pollution... how do you get around that?

You need a shutter release and a tripod for this. Then, you can open the shutter for as long as you want (teh bulb shot), and without touching the camera. If you're worried about light pollution, it's best to stop down to f11 or 16. At least, that's what I did for my first foray into night photos. I blew a lot of film because I had no idea how long to expose, either. So, I just did 1s, 2s, 4s, 8s, 15s, 30s, and 1min. Nondo's crazy star blur was probably more like 20 minutes, I think. Anyway, I would recommend such experiments, so you can get a better feel for it.

Generally, though, 30s exposure is plenty. I think most of mine were best at 15s and 30s.

Nondo
Jul 5, 2002

CODE ORANGE

Private Label posted:

Sorry I missed this.

Captain Chestbeard covered it pretty well but yes I used bulb mode along with a cable release to lock the shutter open. In my case I avoided most of the light pollution by driving away from the city, I was in the mountains about an hour east of the city. Single exposure taken at f/4 for 1833 seconds.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.
Thanks for the tips you two! I just got a shutter release a couple weeks ago, so I'm watching the weather and seeing if I can come up with something.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Searching for long exposures / night shots in my flickr made me realize I haven't taken many in awhile, as most of these are from back when I shot medium format.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradgillette

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:
from my flickr

edit: man the colors really got washed out on these, at least on my monitor.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

Nice photos, I looked at them before looking at who posted them and could tell it was you. You've really found your style and it works.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Leyendecker posted:

from my flickr

Excellent composition, especially on the second shot.

Leyendecker
Oct 31, 2008

:sun:
Come on guys, don't let this thread die. A lot of us seem to be into night photography.
Here are some more from my flickr to keep it alive.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Leyendecker posted:

There's something almost eerie about this and I really like it.

Nondo
Jul 5, 2002

CODE ORANGE
Perseids meteor shower is tomorrow night. Anyone going to take some photos? Moon rises around midnight

quote:

Perseid meteors will appear to "rain" into the atmosphere from the constellation Perseus, which rises in the northeast around 11 p.m. in mid-August.

http://stardate.org/nightsky/meteors/

Dass Niemand
Aug 11, 2005

I HAVE CANCER
Oh I love night time shooting!

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

This looks like a screencap from the opening scene of Jaws, just without the drunk guy and the girl who gets eaten.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Nondo posted:

Perseids meteor shower is tomorrow night. Anyone going to take some photos? Moon rises around midnight

http://stardate.org/nightsky/meteors/

I was going to do this, but unfortunately the clouds rolled in earlier this afternoon and have stuck around since then. They aren't predicting clear skies for us until Thursday night. Argh. Typical!

As for the topic, here's a couple of mine:

ncol
May 28, 2005

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Bad composition because I failed bringing a tripod on my trip :( Had to use a table.

Nikon D200 w/ 18-200mm VR lens.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

(the ones that look like they were taken during the day were just catching the ambient light from the city)

The beach ones are absolutely gorgeous, it's like something out of a dream.

Here's a question, I don't know if it belongs here or not, but what's the best way to get a picture of a lighted sign at night? I can't seem to get a good clear shot like that no matter what I try.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 12, 2009

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Is it a neon sign or a billboard with spotlights pointing at it? Or misted plastic with words on it with a tube light behind it?

For the neon sign, just go F/8 long exposure, time relevant to ISO. For the rest, it all depends on what you want to do. Try night time HDR.

Swren
Jul 29, 2009

ncol posted:

Bad composition because I failed bringing a tripod on my trip :( Had to use a table.

Nikon D200 w/ 18-200mm VR lens.

Not to mock you or anything, but was this in anyway played with in Photoshop. It looks amazing either way. Thanks for new desktop background love this loads

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Typically misted plastic. I was looking to get some pictures of the local bars during a show-case, 6 bars host 6 bands each, $10 gets you into any and every bar; It's modeled after SxSW I guess. I tried to get pictures of each of the bars before I went in to shoot musicians but I didn't walk away with a single good one. I need to read up on HDR, I'm still a newb at photography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncol
May 28, 2005

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Swren posted:

Not to mock you or anything, but was this in anyway played with in Photoshop. It looks amazing either way. Thanks for new desktop background love this loads

The only thing I did in PS was resize the image and clone stamp a spot off the top that was some dirty poo poo on the glass :)

Thanks, though!